Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Baofeng UV-5R information (Page 2 of 16)
Page / 16
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:46:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jupiter7200] [#1]
Originally Posted By wdlsguy:
Originally Posted By timbernet:
I do wish CHIRP allowed for RX and TX frequency fields instead of just RX + offset.... When doing non-ham repeaters that have odd-splits having to do the math for each repeater gets old after awhile (first world problems, I know )

Use split in the Duplex field and put the TX frequency in the Offset field.

Thank you, I had not gotten to that yet.  But this is how.  And I just edited that into my CHIRP instructions in the appropriate place.

Link Posted: 4/6/2013 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Jupiter7200:
Originally Posted By DirtNasty:
Plug the cable into the computer and radio, but do not yet turn on the radio.

In your computer's Device Manager, look in Ports and see what COM Port your cable is using.

Open CHIRP.

Turn on the radio.

At the top of the CHIRP window click the Radio Menu.

Click Download from Radio.

You will get a window open that says Port, Vendor, and Model.  Make sure Port is the Com Port you observed in Device Manager.

Set Vendor to Baofeng, and Model to UV-5R via the drop downs.

That's just it.  When I click "Download from Radio" it never prompts me for anything.  I've uninstalled/reinstalled, rebooted multiple times.  Really at a lost as my last PC was very easy.  This PC is win7 64 and my old PC was a WIN8 64bit.

I am going to IM some email addresses for you to ask this.

I was able to grab the HD from my old PC and copy the CHIRP folder to my new PC.  It now runs correctly.  I'm not sure what caused issue with the installation on this PC.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Strange!  Glad you have it resolved.
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 11:55:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DirtNasty] [#4]
Strange!  Glad you have it resolved.

Back to same issue.  Your guys recommended me to try tonight's build so I'll report back in the morning.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 12:04:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DirtNasty] [#5]
Same issue this morning.  But I did uncover something.

If I unplug my ic-7600 CHIRP works fine.  Must be some kind of conflict between COM ports.

Here is the issue I'm having that another guy posted.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/763#change-2247

It was supposed to be fixed in today's build but didn't fix my issue.  Glad I at least have a work around.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#7]
FYI, if you run 'nix, and are trying to manually install CHIRP from the tarball, in addition to the listed preq's you will need python-devel (or whatever your distro has it listed as, libpython2.whatever-devel, python current-devel etc.).
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread couldn't have been more timely.  I just got my radio today.  I'll be programming it tomorrow.

I'll be back tomorrow if I need help.

OP, Thank you for posting this.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#9]
You're welcome!
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:25:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I just got a UV-5R in the mail last week. I spent a few hours last night ripping hair out trying to get my computer to see it. I have no idea what I eventually had work, but as soon as the computer could see it, I had no issues programming with CHIRP. I'm still studying for my tech license, so I just got it to listen to goings-on on the airwaves and learn about programming. I can easily say I learned more last night about programming in general and repeaters than I have from reading the ARRL study guide. I'm a hands-on learner, so this has helped immensely in that aspect.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#11]
slowly absorbing every word of this thread.. great info Jupiter, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By Cheetah:

I just got a UV-5R in the mail last week. I spent a few hours last night ripping hair out trying to get my computer to see it. I have no idea what I eventually had work, but as soon as the computer could see it, I had no issues programming with CHIRP. I'm still studying for my tech license, so I just got it to listen to goings-on on the airwaves and learn about programming. I can easily say I learned more last night about programming in general and repeaters than I have from reading the ARRL study guide. I'm a hands-on learner, so this has helped immensely in that aspect.

Try http://www.miklor.com

Link Posted: 6/15/2013 5:38:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jupiter7200] [#13]
New, just in!

Manual Programming Flow Charts for repeater channels -- Right click and save as.

http://kc9hi.dyndns.org/uv5r/programming/uv5r%20standard.pdf     For standard repeater splits.

http://kc9hi.dyndns.org/uv5r/programming/uvr5%20odd.pdf    For odd splits.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Just ordered a UV-5R+ off Amazon for $36 shipped the other day...the other I bought a year or so ago was $50 from Hong Kong.  No brainer for a backup radio to leave in the car or whatever!
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By dtotheatothevtothee:
Just ordered a UV-5R+ off Amazon for $36 shipped the other day...the other I bought a year or so ago was $50 from Hong Kong.  No brainer for a backup radio to leave in the car or whatever!

+1...  They are down to 34.99 shipped on amazon!!!  I ordered a couple spares.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought the first UV-5R with the 1800 mah battery, then bought the large 3600 mah battery.  I later gave away the 1800 mah to a friend.  Then I bought two more UV-5Rs, both came with the 3600 mah batteries.  Plus I got some spare 3600's.  

One thing that is really outstanding about the UV-5R, whether the stock 1800 mah battery or an aftermarket 3600 or 3800 mah, it is very stingy on power consumption.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought the first UV-5R with the 1800 mah battery, then bought the large 3600 mah battery.  I later gave away the 1800 mah to a friend.  Then I bought two more UV-5Rs, both came with the 3600 mah batteries.  Plus I got some spare 3600's.  

One thing that is really outstanding about the UV-5R, whether the stock 1800 mah battery or an aftermarket 3600 or 3800 mah, it is very stingy on power consumption.

+1 on that!!!  Even the 1800mah batts last a long time!!!  I can go at least 6 days with two 1800mah batts (significant-RX and occasional-TX...)
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:06:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jupiter7200] [#19]
Looks like a good deal to me.  The batteries I have are aftermarket.  The one in that photo is made by Baofeng.  Ignore the jack near the top.  There are presently no chargers that plug in directly.  You still need the charging base, which has the regulating components inside.

This is where I ordered two of my three UV-5Rs.  Don't know who makes the batteries, but the fit and performance are good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221065959973

Shipping was free.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Tagged for later
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I bumped this back to the top due to recent interest in other threads.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Tag.   UV-5R and study guides ordered.  Will take test when ready.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought a couple UV5-R's and love them, programmed with chirp.

thanks for all the great info and help.

never would have figured out the programming cable without help.

Prolly gonna get a few more radios and batteries for the vehicles.

great value!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Another huge advantage to the plane-jane stock UV-5R: It has a 6x AA battery tray available. 11,400 mAh of Eneloops? Yes, please. Endurance testing now, monitoring 92.5FM and the 447.275 informal net for the 2013 Colorado Flood. Only downside is that it DOES stick out the back of the radio slightly, but the belt clip still works great.

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 2:19:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pbjunkiee] [#25]
Mine should be here in 2 weeks or so. Ordered a mfj 1717sf and some coax to relocate the antenna too.

Starting to stock up on my frequencies on chirp now, hopefully ill just be able to copy and paste when it comes in.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 5:29:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Old school tagbump.  Great thread.  It just cost me money...  I ordered two, and a friend ordered two also.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 5:48:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Tag. Got my tech license last time I was home, gonna need a radio soon.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TurboniumOxide:

I can confirm the better all around "radio" capabilities of the B5.

Better recv, better squelch, better transmission power, much better stock Antenna.

The B5 is a solid 5 watts. Very easily programmable from the keypad.

Same cable issues and chirp operation is the same as the 5R.

The baofeng stock app actually works for the B5.

Same price ($53 from 409shop), so I suggest everyone get the B5 over the 5R.

The accessories do not interchange, and the B5 is the future, so if you don't already have a 5R, get the B5.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TurboniumOxide:
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Crap, i posted in the wrong thread.

I go the UV-B5, the newer model that is supposed to have the better front end.

I can confirm the better all around "radio" capabilities of the B5.

Better recv, better squelch, better transmission power, much better stock Antenna.

The B5 is a solid 5 watts. Very easily programmable from the keypad.

Same cable issues and chirp operation is the same as the 5R.

The baofeng stock app actually works for the B5.

Same price ($53 from 409shop), so I suggest everyone get the B5 over the 5R.

The accessories do not interchange, and the B5 is the future, so if you don't already have a 5R, get the B5.

Owner of a B5, got my Tech on the 7th of this month. Total NEWB here.
 Is there a source of programing info on the B5 like this thread on the 5R series? or maybe a better manual or link to resources (I have a USB programing cable).
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 8:48:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jax2Clt] [#29]
Originally Posted By LonghunterCO

Is there a source of programing info on the B5 like this thread on the 5R series? or maybe a better manual or link to resources (I have a USB programing cable).
View Quote

Have you looked here...

http://www.miklor.com/UVB5/
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Jax2Chl:

Have you looked here...

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jax2Chl:
Originally Posted By LonghunterCO

Have you looked here...

No. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Just got two myself, and a programming cable.Right now I'm just using it around the property on a MURS freq. and haven't programmed any repeaters yet. I can't believe the quality for what I paid. Only using it to monitor my Dakota MURS driveway alert while working around the property the battery lasted 48 hours straight. It'd probably last the week on an extended battery. Voice quality is darn good and the FM radio with dual watch is a cute feature. My XYL even likes them and carries one around with her. I'm very, very happy with them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I used the FM radio feature today for 8 hours straight as I worked on building a bridge on my property, making occasional comm's with my XYL. Again battery life was really amazing. I think I may need to invest in a better antenna, though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
I used the FM radio feature today for 8 hours straight as I worked on building a bridge on my property, making occasional comm's with my XYL. Again battery life was really amazing. I think I may need to invest in a better antenna, though.
View Quote

I use the FM radio on mine all the time when out side working... Its great because when some one TX then it switches over so i can copy the QSO...  I flip flop two batteries one on the charger and one in the radio, I run it till its dead then swap in the new one.. They seem to last much longer then any other HT battery I have used.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Well mine hit a tx lockout :(

I guess ill try replacing the mic jack to get it working :(((((
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By pbjunkiee:

View Quote

It's really not worth the effort.

The mic jack is surrounded by surface mount parts in very close proximity.  There are, I think 5 or 6 points that need to be desoldered.  By the time you are done you'll damage the surrounding area.

Your time is better used elsewhere.  Just toss the radio and buy another.  Think of it as a broken Bic pen.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Haha, sounds good, ill probably just pick up a decent speaker mic and use it as my temporary car rig until i get a mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 3:30:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Variable556] [#37]
My radios aren't here yet, but I went ahead and ordered a bunch of accessories to go with them anyway.

I ordered:  an AA battery adapter pack, a speaker mic, two 3800mah batts, a programming cable, two Nagoya 791 antennas, and a 12v car adapter cable for the desktop charger.

Three questions:

1.)  Anybody know about the desk charger for the radios?  A couple of the reviews on Amazon complained about using auto voltage (13..8v or even higher possible) to charge a 7.4v battery.  I'm guessing the desktop cradle doesn't straight pipe the juice into the battery does it?  Doesn't it probably regulate the voltage down to something less?

2.)  Anybody try the AA adapter case?  The amazon listing described it as 6 AA batts @ 3800mAh, but I doubt  that is even remotely accurate?  I'm guessing if it has 6 AA batts running to get 7.4 volts (or roughly thereabouts), then the whople stack has to be in series?  That'd be more like 2000mAh wouldn't it?

3.)  What commercially available "J" pole antenna would you guys recommend to use with one of these radios while backpacking?  I know a lot of you guys probably roll your own, but I suck at soldering connectors and such, so it'd be advisable for me to buy one instead.

From the reviews on Amazon it also looks like I'll need to dremel some nubbs off on the oversize (3800mAh) batts to make them fit the newer "plus" model, but I doubt that'll be a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 10:06:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jupiter7200] [#38]
Originally Posted By Variable556:
My radios aren't here yet, but I went ahead and ordered a bunch of accessories to go with them anyway.

I ordered:  an AA battery adapter pack, a speaker mic, two 3800mah batts, a programming cable, two Nagoya 791 antennas, and a 12v car adapter cable for the desktop charger.

Three questions:

1.)  Anybody know about the desk charger for the radios?  A couple of the reviews on Amazon complained about using auto voltage (13..8v or even higher possible) to charge a 7.4v battery.  I'm guessing the desktop cradle doesn't straight pipe the juice into the battery does it?  Doesn't it probably regulate the voltage down to something less?
View All Quotes

Three questions:

The base, not the wall wart, contains the charge regulation circuit.  However going higher input voltage than specified (older bases have 10v wall warts, later ones 12v) may toast the regulator.  You cannot use it in the car.

There is a charger made for the TYT BCG-F8 that can be used that way.  You'll also need a cigarette lighter to coaxial plug that will fit that charger.

http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=106604

2.)  Anybody try the AA adapter case?  The amazon listing described it as 6 AA batts @ 3800mAh, but I doubt  that is even remotely accurate?  I'm guessing if it has 6 AA batts running to get 7.4 volts (or roughly thereabouts), then the whople stack has to be in series?  That'd be more like 2000mAh wouldn't it?

6 x 1.25 v (nicads) = 7.5 volts     This will work OK.  

If you use it with 1.5 volt alkalines, 6 x 1.5 = 9 volts, and the radio will shut down due to the overvoltage.  For 1.5 volt cells you must use one dummy cell, so that you have 5 x 1.5 = 7.5 volts.

Don't confuse voltage with mah capacity.

3.)  What commercially available "J" pole antenna would you guys recommend to use with one of these radios while backpacking?  I know a lot of you guys probably roll your own, but I suck at soldering connectors and such, so it'd be advisable for me to buy one instead.

I like the N9TAX antenna.  You can get it with coax for about $25 or so.

From the reviews on Amazon it also looks like I'll need to dremel some nubbs off on the oversize (3800mAh) batts to make them fit the newer "plus" model, but I doubt that'll be a big deal.

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By pbjunkiee:

View Quote

What do you mean by tx lockout?

won't TX?
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Yea, its an physical issue with the microphone jack.
Debris or something gets stuck and pretty much disables the onboard microphone.

Its a recorded problem, sometimes an blast from an air can can fix it, but i didn't have any luck.
I sent the seller an email and I'm getting a new one :)
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#41]
No, they are just crappy jacks.  I've heard the debris theory, but how does that affect only the UV-5R and not other radios?  No, just bad jacks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 7:13:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Variable556] [#42]
I went ahead and bought a roll up Slim Jim antenna off of ebay.  I have no idea if it's any good or not, but I'll give it a try at least.

I bought this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAOFENG-ANTENNA-ROLL-UP-SLIM-JIM-J-POLE-SUPER-PERFORMANCE-USA-WATCH-VIDEO-/190917221776?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Antennas&hash=item2c738d9d90

Anybody else have one?  Any good?

ETA:  The same guy has a longer "deluxe" version with 10ft of RG-174 instead of 5ft, but I figured if the 174 is "lossy", then I'd just get the shorter one.  He also mentions the "deluxe" version having a "decoupling loop" installed whereas the shorter one I ordered does not.  Couldn't I just clip on a ferrite bead choke if I needed to?  Is it even necessary?
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes, on the ferrite bead.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#44]
I just got mine this week off Amazon.com for $32 and programmed in the local repeaters. Yesterday, I listened to several conversations and at least 4 or 5 of them did nothing but bitch about the new chinese radios "ruining" ham radio. While waiting for my ride this morning I tuned in to a repeater that I didn't think I could reach and sure enough, they were bitching about the Wouxon and Baofeng HTs.

I like mine, works fine and has a lot more options than my Yaesu that cost 6x more. The sentiment from the old timers is really gonna drive off the newbs.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By HUMONGO:
I just got mine this week off Amazon.com for $32 and programmed in the local repeaters. Yesterday, I listened to several conversations and at least 4 or 5 of them did nothing but bitch about the new chinese radios "ruining" ham radio. While waiting for my ride this morning I tuned in to a repeater that I didn't think I could reach and sure enough, they were bitching about the Wouxon and Baofeng HTs.

I like mine, works fine and has a lot more options than my Yaesu that cost 6x more. The sentiment from the old timers is really gonna drive off the newbs.
View Quote

It gets me every time. Amateur radio is done because the dropped CW, digital modes are taking up space, cheap radios are making more lids join.

Just a little hint, radio tends to work better when there are more people listening...
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By gcw:

It gets me every time. Amateur radio is done because the dropped CW, digital modes are taking up space, cheap radios are making more lids join.

Just a little hint, radio tends to work better when there are more people listening...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gcw:

Yep that about sums it up, you can hear enough of them over at QRZ. I do not tell them what I am using, if they ask tell them its a Yaesu or kenwood, and they will tell you how good it is and how good it sounds. Then they will start bitching about the Chinese radio's. You get a good laugh.

Most of the people around here seem to think they are great for the money, and many new hams that could not afford to get on the air can now. I am sure the same thing happened when Microphones came out, and during the SSB "craze", and when RTTY was new. Just a progression of a hobby, some people do not like change. Do not mind the old timers, let them bitch. When you get older you have to have something to bitch about, and you can really bitch about the XYL if she is in the other room. Be a good operator, and keep that Chinese radio, they will never know what you are talking on. I am keeping mine!
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#47]
The old guys gripe about anything that was not like it was when they started in ham radio.  They are STILL griping about "incentive licensing", which has been in effect for 50 years.

I have not seen that dropping the code requirement is the end of the world for ham, and I have yet to hear "Breaker, breaker, this is the Duck!" on the ham bands.  I know of at least half a dozen new hams in my small circle of ham friends that are learning CW just because they want to.

Let their griping go in one ear and out the other.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#48]
I went ahead and bought a roll up Slim Jim antenna off of ebay.  I have no idea if it's any good or not, but I'll give it a try at least.

I bought this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAOFENG-ANTENNA-ROLL-UP-SLIM-JIM-J-POLE-SUPER-PERFORMANCE-USA-WATCH-VIDEO-/190917221776?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Antennas&hash=item2c738d9d90

ETA:  The same guy has a longer "deluxe" version with 10ft of RG-174 instead of 5ft, but I figured if the 174 is "lossy", then I'd just get the shorter one.  He also mentions the "deluxe" version having a "decoupling loop" installed whereas the shorter one I ordered does not.  Couldn't I just clip on a ferrite bead choke if I needed to?  Is it even necessary?
View Quote

I and many others use the n9tax slim jim antenna...  That one you linked looks to have smaller then RG58 coax... Anything smaller then RG58 should not be use for VHF+UHF application because it has so much loss... (small coax is fine for listening but you want at least RG58 when you push that TX button.)  I am sure for the most part you will be fine but the bigger/ better the coax the better. when it comes to VHF & UHF.
I use these:
http://www.2wayelectronix.com/
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 9:39:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Variable556] [#49]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

I and many others use the n9tax slim jim antenna...  That one you linked looks to have smaller then RG58 coax... Anything smaller then RG58 should not be use for VHF+UHF application because it has so much loss... (small coax is fine for listening but you want at least RG58 when you push that TX button.)  I am sure for the most part you will be fine but the bigger/ better the coax the better. when it comes to VHF & UHF.
I use these:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

I use these:

Yeah, it uses RG174.  I wanted something really small and light to keep rolled up in a backpack.  With a length of only 5 feet, it should lose just a hair over half a decibel on 2M.  For a backacking antenna where ounces count, I figured I'd take the tradeoff deducting the 1/2db from the supposed 6db gain of the design.  If I end up not liking it, then I'll try the one you linked.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 1:50:29 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

I haven't heard any of that on the N. Dallas area repeaters.

I showed up for the first time at a breakfast where one of the local ham clubs meet.  Everyone was friendly and cordial.  And yes, I told them my first radio is a Baofeng.  

Most were older than me, that's a novelty.  A couple of them had been licensed less than 1 yr.
Page / 16
Baofeng UV-5R information (Page 2 of 16)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top