Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Finally took a day and got some stuff done around the house since the weather cleared up

Picked up the last 14 posts from the farm supply this morning and unloaded them since my guy with the skiddy, auger, and driver is supposed to be here before the month is out

Aired up the tires on the lawnmower, then tested the deck and proceeded to break the tensioner spring and almost snapped the belt

Then got my little brother's truck torn down (everything except the rocker boxes and heads anyway). It's getting new head gaskets and reman heads, and I'm redoing the high pressure oil system and cooling system while it's apart

Cut up the ash tree that fell a few weeks back and hauled most of it out. I'm hoping the one that's still standing will fall on its own- they both needed to come down but I didn't want to do it

Going back to the farm tomorrow, hoping to cut and drag out poles for my shed going up this summer. Have to make time to haul the ole Farmtrac 60 over to the house before I put the posts up though
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Wow.  You cut that out of steel?

And...that's a lotta wood!  
View Quote
Nope, I had some CDX plywood left over from a remodel and some left over black paint.
I'll probably need to get another couple cords before winter.
I have OCD about filling my woodshed completely even though I've never gone through it all in one winter haha.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:39:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Former11BRAVO] [#5]
Crazy busy last few days here!

We needed to move our bee colonies after I discovered a monstrous white oak who's base is starting to rot. Had it come down, it'd have taken out all four hives AND the fruit trees I planted last week.

The trees are still in the ground, but we moved the hives Friday night - what an adventure that turned out to be! LOL

Yesterday was mostly landscaping; transplanting/planting flowers and spreading mulch, but today I added an 8X16 section to the garden bed in my front yard and we ended up having to split both our over-wintered bee colonies (another adventure LOL)!

At least one of the colonies looks like I should be split again, so we'll probably have SEVEN colonies by mid-week after having only two last year (our first foray into beekeeping)! We've got lots of stuff ready to move into the garden beds, too.

Sadly, either we were late and didn't notice them, or our asparagus let us down this year. It's the third year, so we expected to get some nice bunches, too.

Alas...

Shit be crazy, yo!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Garlic is doing great, RHS of pic!
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Guessing they just sit there.

They get HEAVY.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
Are the hives anchored to those blocks, or do they just sit there?

Guessing they just sit there.

They get HEAVY.

They are, yes.

And they do! LOL
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:

We needed to move our bee colonies after I discovered a monstrous white oak who's base is starting to rot. Had it come down, it'd have taken out all four hives AND the fruit trees I planted last week.

The trees are still in the ground, but we moved the hives Friday night - what an adventure that turned out to be! LOL

Yesterday was mostly landscaping; transplanting/planting flowers and spreading mulch, but today I added an 8X16 section to the garden bed in my front yard and we ended up having to split both our over-wintered bee colonies (another adventure LOL)!

At least one of the colonies looks like I should be split again, so we'll probably have SEVEN colonies by mid-week after having only two last year (our first foray into beekeeping)! We've got lots of stuff ready to move into the garden beds, too.

Sadly, either we were late and didn't notice them, or our asparagus let us down this year. It's the third year, so we expected to get some nice bunches, too.

Alas...

Shit be crazy, yo!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111577/20230416_191554_jpg-2785504.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111577/20230416_170026_jpg-2785505.JPG
View Quote
Approx how much honey do you get from one bee box?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#13]

That varies widely depending on how industrious the bees are (meaning usually how big the hive is) and the year, and how the queen is laying.   If there is brood in the box, you don't get as much honey, etc.

Normally those main brood boxes keep the honey and the beekeeper takes the honey from more shallow (smaller) honey supers.    In those, you can get maybe 30 lbs of honey.

In the bigger boxes like in the photo, (we call those deep boxes) you can get 60-70 lbs of honey in a good year.

View Quote
That's quite a bit of honey!
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Making some white chicken chili at the farm since it was a chilly day- below freezing last night and the wind has been cold all day.

Going to get some paperwork from the DMV tomorrow, have to F tag 2 trailers and permanent tag another before the July deadline
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#17]

That looks really good.

What is an F tag?
View Quote

Right now VA has 2 types of farm tags: the cheap unregistered ones available at farm supply, etc. and what the DMV calls F-tags, or permanent farm vehicle (and trailer) tags. We normally just used the unregistered tags as the trailers don't get much on-road time, but in July the unregistered tags become invalid
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 11:02:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#19]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Gotcha.

I don't have to register my trailers.

Mine are small though.  Like 7 X 12.

I assume if the trailer gets big enough, it would have to be registered, but I haven't every had to do that.

View Quote

Thanks to the NOVA farmers whining about non farmers using the tags (which I agree needs to stop, but don't support their solution) all trailers will have to be tagged. We have 10 (I think) trailers in total, ranging from 4x4 single axle to 9x22 triple axle. About half of those are road worthy, so we're adding lights, fenders, etc as needed and tracking down titles and bills of sale to get the larger ones legal
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#21]

OH!!!  @Rifleman_556

Recipe for the white chili!

View Quote

@Kitties-with-Sigs

I don't do much measuring for stuff like this, just whatever I have on hand is what goes in the pot

Chop onion, mushrooms, celery, green pepper and saute in a stockpot with butter

Add shredded chicken, garlic, a can of green chiles, and I cheated and used a can of cream of chicken soup.

Season with chili powder, tumeric, and oregano, and simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes. If you want cheese I add cream cheese, not sure if there's a better option but I normally keep some in the fridge
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By cowboy:
Warm out today. Warm yesterday. Even warmer today. [/rockingchair]

Went outside Saturday to admire the fields where I grow my fucks hay. Had some visitors.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61763/cows-2802233.jpg

They wandered up from a "neighbor" about 2 miles away as the cow walks.
View Quote

Looks like T-Bone, Rib-eye, and Hamburger. The neighbor and I just dropped off a couple of steers at the butcher shop. In a few days it will be back to prime steak and juicy hamburger again.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:24:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:28:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nobody69s] [#37]
This chickie does not want to die.

Giving her antibiotic and treating her wounds.

She has holes in both sides, but she eats, drinks, and poops, so

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/118038/Injured_chickie_May_2023-2803742.jpg
View Quote
How's the chicken doing?

ETA: I decided to add an addition onto the current chicken run to give them more sun during the day and more
room for when I decide to get more.
Had enough random lumber laying around for it.
It won't be the prettiest of runs but the chickens won't care haha.
Started digging the trench around the outside of it today for some hardware cloth protection from digging chicken killers.
Will get pics when it's done.

Woodshed is almost full for next winter!
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Chickens always look so pissed off.
Hopefully she's doing better.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ZW17:

@Former11BRAVO

Are your beehives made by Hoover Hives?

They look just like mine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ZW17:
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:

Alas...

Shit be crazy, yo!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111577/20230416_191554_jpg-2785504.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111577/20230416_170026_jpg-2785505.JPG

@Former11BRAVO

Are your beehives made by Hoover Hives?

They look just like mine.

Bee Castle and Hoover, yes.

As an aside, the GF just went out and got the better part of a giant swarm 20' up in one of our trees. She taped a box to a telescoping window-washer we have and knocked the bees from the branch into the box - then, put them in an empty hive with a frame of honey.

She didn't see the queen, but hopes she'll be "notified" of the sexy new digs available..! LOL
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Nice deal on a Harvest Right medium in the EE today
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Front fell off!

Not mine anyway
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:10:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#44]
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quite the recovery!
Good job fixing her up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:30:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#47]
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Update on the hen.

I thought for sure this chicken would eventually die.  She was in bad shape, to my eyes.

Went through an entire bottle of amoxidrops, sprayed her with Vetericyn twice a day, and still...last Thursday her entire right side was dark, almost black and hard...like a dried out hide (best analogy I can make because my dad was a trapper so I know how dried out skin feels on fur-bearing animals.)  Plus she had a bit of greenish color skin down low on her right side.

I kept spraying her.

Saturday night I pulled her out to spray her and her skin was fresh and new. Sort of pinkish.  Still a couple of holes in her side, but these are small compared to what were there.

I don't know whether the black skin was a scab of some sort, and fell off, or if some Chicken Angel came and healed her.

Saturday evening she laid an egg (she hadn't laid an egg since she got injured.  I assume everything she has was going to survival.) She has laid an egg each day since.

It's the darndest thing I've ever seen.

Still spraying her.  I'm now about $130 into this chicken between the Amoxidrops and the Vet sprays.

Never been more surprised in my life.  Had one survive a coon attack, but those injuries were small compared to these.

<---Chicken Angel

ETA:  In other news, got out the dremel and we trimmed the rooster's spurs last night.
View Quote

Glad to hear your chicken is better. I never would have thought of using a dremel tool for roosters spurs, that was a good idea!
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#50]

Holy Peach Pancakes Batman!

What did you do to that thing?

View Quote

It was dropped onto a dozer track after (I'm assuming) a lifetime of abuse

I'm buying Ridgid cordless tools now instead of Milwaukee due to the warranty
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top