Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
Chickies 2023..

Yeah, we are a HUGE chicken operation.  

NOT.

I wanted some Easter Eggers, but gave that up when I realized I would be lucky to get ANY baby chicks this year.

We were down to four hens. They produce more eggs than we can eat, but we support a cast of regular characters who can use some farm eggs once in a while, so uxb (who works at a hospital now) takes a dozen eggs every few days to give away to folks who work with him and have less.

I'm fine with that.

One lady is raising her grandson.  He won't eat eggs from the grocery store, but he likes the eggs she gets from us.  

I have no idea why.

But...if it helps her, Thank God for my four sweet little hens who keep giving us eggs.

Here are the babies for 2023.

Six Black Sex Links (you don't google that from a corporate computer) and six Brahmas.

I have to say..these are the worst "feed wasters" we have ever had.

I'm throwing the bedding (mostly the wasted chick starter thrown out of the feeder) into the coop with the current laying hens, just to hope for some return on
investment.

Trying new breeds...we will see.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/118038/Chickies_2023_spring-2742781.jpg

They need a new, bigger tub like...tomorrow.

Honest to God...I've never seen chicks grow this fast.

I bought the same size tub I use every year.  These outgrew it in half the time.

I might have to go back to Buff Orpingtons and Domineckers (barred rocks).  They grow slower.

ETA: The camera lies here. They are not as crowded as they look. They can actually run around.  But not much.  Tub shopping tomorrow.
View Quote

We have the black sex links as well. Also known as black stars. Got them from McMurray 2 yrs. ago. They lay very good. We call them our little athletes. One will get to running, flapping it's wings and clucking like crazy. Which gets the others started. It can get loud for about a minute or so.

As for the tea. Reminds me of an Italian guy we new years ago. He said you American, I swear you all can never make up your mind about anything. Somebody says, what are you talking about. He says take tea for example. You heat it to make it hot, put ice in it to make it cold, put sugar in it to make it sweet, lemon in it to make it sour. Make up your mind already.
  We all got a kick out of that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh that's what I should have said to the poster who wants to take a vacation where it's warm.

Drive til every restaurant has sweet tea.
View Quote
I prefer my tea without the sweet. With lemon.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Here’s what my grandfather and uncle ran cattle on until a couple months ago- hopefully I can put a few head on it soon  

Also a road doesn’t qualify as “bad” until both axles on a 9k dually start sliding

Link Posted: 3/14/2023 1:46:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Rifleman_556:
Here's what my grandfather and uncle ran cattle on until a couple months ago- hopefully I can put a few head on it soon  
https://i.ibb.co/QK1xbPR/8-CC4291-A-84-C8-48-D8-9867-037-B86252-EFE.jpg

Also a road doesn't qualify as "bad" until both axles on a 9k dually start sliding
https://i.ibb.co/H44XN7z/533-A0-CAC-9-A5-B-4204-80-DA-D8-CF2-C533-CF7.jpg
View Quote
Looks like a beautiful area!
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Warmer today. But cold again this weekend.
View Quote
So did you write and sell songs in Nashville?
I'd like to hear a bit about that, as I've played guitar since I was 9 years old and really like music.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Howdy distant neighbors! Enjoyed reading this new thread and will for sure keep checking in.

We had chickens up until the coyotes penetrated their defenses. I guess I got complacent as they had been safe for 3 years and then in one night poof they got all 8 of them.
Planning on getting a few more this year just gonna wait til the weather settles down. We have family that have large flocks and we can have plenty of eggs with just a few hens.

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By WayneB:
Howdy distant neighbors! Enjoyed reading this new thread and will for sure keep checking in.

We had chickens up until the coyotes penetrated their defenses. I guess I got complacent as they had been safe for 3 years and then in one night poof they got all 8 of them.
Planning on getting a few more this year just gonna wait til the weather settles down. We have family that have large flocks and we can have plenty of eggs with just a few hens.

View Quote
That sucks they got your chickens.
I made sure when I placed the chicken coop I put mesh hardware cloth into the trench I dug around it and haven't had any issues yet.
I did see some raccoon tracks in the mud and some digging around, but no breakthrough.
Once the weather gets a bit better, gotta get into the woods and eradicate some of natures critters!
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 12:48:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#12]
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 12:49:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#14]

I did write.  Still do a bit, but not professionally.

It's a bit complicated how that works.

Mostly the way it worked (when I was there) is that you write and work with publishing companies who might either sign your song or get it cut by a big artist, OR, sign you to what we called a "writer's deal" where they would pay you a salary to write and turn in so many songs within a given time. (It was not that many--very reasonable).  This was a good deal.  You got to work at writing, and they would set you up to co-write with other, often well-established, writers, and sometimes you found the magic that would work and get a song cut by a big artist.  That does not a career make, but it was good money, back then, if Faith Hill or Garth Brooks, etc, cut your song.

Things are different now.  That way (the "writer's deal) is still happening I think, on some scale, but the way artists approach the industry has shifted.  Since the digital age, folks can produce their own work and distribute it to the world outside the major labels. Will it get radio play?  Not likely, as an individual artist, but once you start to gain ground, you get offers from the big labels.

Offers from the big labels is how you get to tour on big stages.

A lot of people want that.  

As to the songwriting end of it....

Honestly I'm not even sure how that works now. I've been out of NashVegas long enough that things have changed.  

I'm just really appreciative of the education I got...Writing with and learning from the best songwriters on Earth.

It is a rare gift.

View Quote
That's pretty cool man.
Thanks for the education.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 6:50:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Tagged for a nice place to come to and just chill.

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#18]
When you're raising chicks how often do you change out the bedding?
I got my chickens when they were already grown up.
I have all the stuff to raise chicks except a heat lamp, just haven't had the need yet.
And what's a good mail order place if I don't get them locally?
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:52:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rifleman_556] [#19]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
When you're raising chicks how often do you change out the bedding?
I got my chickens when they were already grown up.
I have all the stuff to raise chicks except a heat lamp, just haven't had the need yet.
And what's a good mail order place if I don't get them locally?
View Quote

I think we started off changing every other day, and then went to every day as they started generating more poop. We moved them outside fairly quickly though.

Edit: 15 chicks in a standard size plastic tote, so not much space

Now we have 14 Blue Plymouth Rocks (the originals), 3 more Blue Rocks (hatched out last spring), 2 Wyandottes, and a Cinnamon Queen (bought from Rural King). They produce enough eggs so that when the surplus is sold it doesn’t cost anything for feed, so I’m happy.

Now if I can finish fencing at the house maybe I’ll get a few feeder pigs next year- the neighbors probably won’t be happy but the land is zoned agricultural so

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#21]
dang comfortable out today.

fixed my water pump that i thought froze but didn't, so now i have a spare water pump.  
got my replacement gaskets for jerry can donkey dick so now i don't spill diesel all over the heater.
got some more snacks in the fridge

good day so far.   need to get the yellowjacket traps up soon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#22]
When I do go ahead and get some chicks, I'd probably only get no more than 5.
I've heard the same thing about cedar shavings, must be the oil in it or something.
I'll just wait until my hens slow down on laying and start a new batch.
I believe it's about 6 months before they start laying.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 10:53:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#24]
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I did such a stupid thing.

Went to TSC and they had Olive Egger pullets.

I got six.  I did NOT need more chicks.  

Now I will have 17 chickens (counting the rooster) if everybody makes it.   These girls are much more frail and fragile than the last chicks. Maybe just the breed, but we are washing hands and changing clothes....We have African Pied Crows.  Family members could die of Avian Flu, so we take it seriously.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/118038/Olive_Eggers_late_March_2023-2757978.jpg

Bleached everything the older chicks had touched, so hopefully everything these little girls touch will be safe.

View Quote

Seems like lots of us have poultry here, dealing with/prevention of, avian flu issues could be a good topic here.  Curious what all everyone has been doing, lessons learned, best practices, etc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:08:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#27]
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Sooo.....just got back from the grocery.

Went through the self check lane cuz I like the self check lane.  Rang up $94 worth of groceries and some change for us and uxb's dad.

uxb was over there with me, futzing with what goes in what bag and being generally distracting, aaaaannnnnd...

We pushed that cart right out of there and over to the car.  We were loading when the nice young man came out and said, "uh...excuse me...did you guys pay?"

Me:  Yeah.

Uxb:  Show him the receipt.

Me:  Stalls out, stares into space.  "OH. MY. GOD."    

That's right. I could not remember paying.  I said to the young man...."Will the screen be still up if I didn't pay?  Was it $94 dollars?"

He said, "I don't know the amount.  The girl said a couple left without paying and came this direction, so I came to ask."

I walked back in with him.

It was me.

Yep.

I walked out of Kroger without paying for $94 worth of groceries.

I've walked out with a carton of milk from the dollar store before, but stopped half way to the car and turned around.

Never done this before.

Might need to do some meditation or something.

In my defense, we have a chicken that may have Bumblefoot.  Never had that before.  It could be something else.  I am distracted by that but still....
View Quote
A couple years ago I filled up at a BP gas station, went in and bought some stuff.
Totally forgot to pay for the gas.
On the way home I said to my self, OH SHIT!!!
Called the gas station and told on myself.
They said we're glad you called because we were just about to call the cops.
Went back first thing the next morning and paid my "bill" haha.
He was very understanding and I apologized for my mind slip.

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Here’s a fun one……

Lady bugs
Asian lady beetles

Every spring they come out of the woodwork (literally) at our place in Southern Illinois.
I just vacuumed up about a million live and dead ones of the windows and sills.

Then they vanish for the summer…..

About October they are back…..like locusts!
They bite/sting a bit.
Once it’s cold enough they vanish again……

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
A couple years ago I filled up at a BP gas station, went in and bought some stuff.
Totally forgot to pay for the gas.
On the way home I said to my self, OH SHIT!!!
Called the gas station and told on myself.
They said we're glad you called because we were just about to call the cops.
Went back first thing the next morning and paid my "bill" haha.
He was very understanding and I apologized for my mind slip.

View Quote

My parents did that a long time ago. That was before cell phones. They went back to pay later in the day. They were understanding but did say they had called the police.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 12:48:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 12:49:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 12:53:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 1:44:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Doorman63:
Here’s a fun one……

Lady bugs
Asian lady beetles

Every spring they come out of the woodwork (literally) at our place in Southern Illinois.

They bite/sting a bit.

Any ideas?
View Quote

We're dealing with brown marmorated stink bugs.  All of wester Oregon is infested..

Kill many, seal the house, poison the ones you can't see.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 2:27:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#38]
We don't have much of an issue with stink bugs, but drain flies are another story.  We get them and they will annoy the crap out of you in the bathroom.  We've tried everything short of removing the drain lines an re-plumbing the bathroom.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#39]

It is sad, isn't it?  That we are so distracted by life that we do stuff like this?

I didn't do stuff like this in my 20s.

But now...it happens way too often.

View Quote
First time I ever did that in my life.
I just chaulked it up to a long day at work.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Doorman63:
Here’s a fun one……

Lady bugs
Asian lady beetles

They bite/sting a bit.

Any ideas?
View Quote

A lot of people around here spray the outside of their houses with an insecticide in the fall. I can't remember what it is, but the local farm supply carries it. Some of the local pest control businesses offer the service too.

The last few years they haven't been bad around here, not sure why.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Great thread idea, OP!

I'll post up something... Like many, my layers quit laying (practically 100% stopped for 3 months) and when I read/heard about it possibly being related to the feed I was getting from Tractor Supply, I switched to the local feed mill - where I'd gone in the past, but the owner is a dick.

Anyway, their production picked back up almost immediately and I happened upon a twitter thread about it where someone was saying they add alfalfa pellets to their local mash, to strengthen/augment the nutrient value.

So, I went and got a bag and, night before last, I soaked a bunch of pellets overnight and mixed it in with the mash and.... HOLY SHIT!!! My girls went nuts over it! I no sooner dumped the first scoop in the feeder than they rushed the hen house to get at it!

I'm guessing they smelled it, but it was remarkable because I'd tossed a bunch of fat into their yard (cut off steaks - which they normally fight/compete over), but the ones without a scrap of fat in their beaks abandoned the chase to get in and attack the feeder with a vengeance!

They're already producing again like mad, but I'm curious to see if the alfalfa pumps up production even more, or if it changes the flavor of the eggs (which are freakin' fantastic, btw). In any event, I thought I'd pass my experience onto my fellow homesteaders (although, my set-up is very modest compared to many).

Oh! I set up three more bee hives last weekend too and have 30,000 bees arriving next Friday! I think we're going to split our existing two colonies and end up with seven.

We're still very much beginners at bee-keeping, but it's conceivable they're going to represent a nice chunk of extra change in our pockets this year - a fact I'm very excited about! (Thank God we bought our centrifuge/extractor last year! I'd bet they've gone up quite a bit since!)

Anyway, have a super day everybody!
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#42]

I suggest middle Tennessee.  Specifically Southeast TN if you like hills.  Nashville is great for music but it's a city, so I never choose that for a vacation.  I want beach or the Appalachian mountains or a harbor town.  Gatlinburg is a fun place to go. It is touristy, but lot of arts and not just tourist trap places.  The smoky mountains are wonderful, though January is about as ugly as they get.   A cabin somewhere in the mountains would be a very nice getaway if you'd rather avoid people.  

If you want a beautiful, truly warm January destination, choose Savannah, St. Augustine, or even Charleston.  There is lots of interesting architecture, history, etc in any of those three destinations. However, they are also "cities" but not in the same way Nashville is.  The history and old buildings make it different.

I would have to go all the way to Florida to feel "warm" in a normal January, but you are used to much colder, snowier weather.    I think you would likely think any of those places is warm.
View Quote

My "kinda sorta GF" and I almost sold my place in PA to move to TN (east of Nashville) late last year. An old friend of hers offered to sell us 5.5 acres (on a sales agreement) with nice, cleared ground bordered by a stream w/a .5 acre pond (in desperate need of work). Then, when discussing the house we'd build, we got in a big fight and called it off (!).

Personally, I think I dodged a bullet, but it COULD'VE been nice (with the right partner, anyway). TN is indeed a beautiful state and one of only a couple I'd consider moving to.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:38:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Former11BRAVO] [#43]
I did such a stupid thing.

Went to TSC and they had Olive Egger pullets.

I got six.  I did NOT need more chicks.  

Now I will have 17 chickens (counting the rooster) if everybody makes it.   These girls are much more frail and fragile than the last chicks. Maybe just the breed, but we are washing hands and changing clothes....We have African Pied Crows.  Family members could die of Avian Flu, so we take it seriously.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/118038/Olive_Eggers_late_March_2023-2757978.jpg

Bleached everything the older chicks had touched, so hopefully everything these little girls touch will be safe.

View Quote

I understand and appreciate your caution regarding avian flu, but I'm convinced it was a manufactured scam/scare to reduce the poultry population to drive up costs/put small operations out of business - and hurt the middle class, of course.

I know this isn't a conspiracy theory thread, but when it's soooo n your face all the time, it's hard (for me) to think otherwise.

ETA: as for precautions, there's really not much I can do for prevention. I'm surrounded by woods and I've every kind of wild bird imaginable, so (other than keep an eye on them and keep em in fresh food/water), I don't believe there's much I can do.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#47]

Well...Avian flu has been around for a good while.  We have always been cautious about handling outdoor birds and then coming inside to our pets because it kills so quickly.

But we are in the same boat...songbirds eat out of the chicken pen and not much way to keep them out.  

Dealing with Bumblefoot for the first time right now, which I hate for our girls.

View Quote

Huh! I don't think I've ever heard of that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:59:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#48]
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#50]
We're supposed to get high winds tomorrow and more rain. Tired of this weather. I'm ready to be working on outdoor projects
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top