Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Picking out cukes and other veggies likely to be pickled. Going to do a bunch more dilly beans with bozeman's recipe this year.

Can't wait!
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 1:50:10 AM EDT
[#2]
btt

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#3]
FIRECRACKERS!!!!

Need a recipe like that.  Have a copy if Ball's pickled carrots, but haven't tried them yet.

Please post!
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I made up some pickles last week using the boiling water bath method in the cookbook provided with my pressure canner.

The lids are not popped up, but there is a small amount of air in the containers.  Are they still good?  Or does there need to be no air in the containers at all?
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By soncorn:
I made up some pickles last week using the boiling water bath method in the cookbook provided with my pressure canner.

The lids are not popped up, but there is a small amount of air in the containers.  Are they still good?  Or does there need to be no air in the containers at all?

You're supposed to leave  1/4" to 1/2" of air space to begin with so you're fine.

BTW I still have two jars of these pickles left from last fall. Going to camp with me next weekend.

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DancingBear:
Originally Posted By soncorn:

You're supposed to leave  1/4" to 1/2" of air space to begin with so you're fine.

BTW I still have two jars of these pickles left from last fall. Going to camp with me next weekend.

Good deal, I guess I just had some "first time" jitters.

Thank You
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I put up six quarts last week.  Some with 1/2 Habanero, some with 1 red chili pepper.  All with dill, garlic and peppercorns.

June 10th is the day.
Link Posted: 6/6/2010 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The cukes are starting to come in and it's time to make some pickles.
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I am hoping to try making pickles for the first time this year.

I have 20 cucumber plants.
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#11]
We're getting there too.   Though we might need to bolster the crop with farmers' market produce this year.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 3:15:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pyro6988] [#12]
Any one canned any this summer yet?

I still waiting on my cucumber plants.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 5:08:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Revelation68] [#13]
Originally Posted By pyro6988:
Any one canned any this summer yet?

I still waiting on my cucumber plants.  

We've canned tons. With guidance over the years from her granny, my gf has been whipping up tons of their salt dill pickles that they've made for years. Mmm, mmm.

Our white cucumbers are starting to come in steady, but the gf's uncle has grocery bags rolling in, so she gets them from him as well.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 10:52:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: giantschnauzer123] [#14]
Could this same process be used for jalepenos. Also could you use an organic non pasturized Apple Cider Vinegar like Bragg brand.

Link Posted: 7/16/2010 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#15]
So far my favorite jar this year had five cloves of garlic, one red pepper, dill, peppercorns and a bit of crushed red pepper in white vinegar.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you think this recipe could be used for green beans as well?  I love pickled dill green beans, and I have an almost identical recipe from a book for dill green beans but it calls for water bath processing.  I am doubting that the water bath is really necessary, even for green beans.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#17]
i don't know
I do know if you process them they'll turn to mush.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Furner:
Do you think this recipe could be used for green beans as well?  I love pickled dill green beans, and I have an almost identical recipe from a book for dill green beans but it calls for water bath processing.  I am doubting that the water bath is really necessary, even for green beans.

Yes, it also works for peppers of almost any description as well. My favorite pickled pepper is cayenne picked just short of ripe(meaning just short of too hot to eat) snap them like you would beans(cut off both ends) and pickled using BozemanMT's recipe. Green beans pickled this way are amazing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I did two pints that have a few green beans but mostly carrots, since the beans on the whole did not look fresh enough for canning.  

Water-bathed them on the advice of the old canning pros around my parents place, i hear botulism is a real bitch!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:42:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pyro6988] [#20]
I made 3 quarts and 2 pints of pickles today using BozemanMT 's recipe.

Couple of questions.

Is the one clove of garlic 1 head of dill for pints or quarts?  I know you could use either.

How long do you leave the jars upside down once you put the lids on?

I quartered my pickles length wise instead of leaving whole or in halves.  I am guess this effects the crunchiness?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Couple of questions.

Is the one clove of garlic 1 head of dill for pints or quarts?  I know you could use either.

I quartered my pickles length wise instead of leaving whole or in halves.  I am guess this effects the crunchiness?

quarts, but really, most of us change it a little, extra garlic, extra dill, extra peppers, won't really matter
but the original recipe is for quarts.

About 5 minutes (maybe 10?) or so, you're just trying to make sure the lids are hot, with the hot brine sitting against them so they seal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 1:05:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I tried my first batch according the recipe.  I'm guessing I'm going to want to add more garlic in the next batch but we'll see in three weeks! :)
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Can't wait to try this!
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BozemanMT:

Couple of questions.

quarts, but really, most of us change it a little, extra garlic, extra dill, extra peppers, won't really matter
but the original recipe is for quarts.

About 5 minutes (maybe 10?) or so, you're just trying to make sure the lids are hot, with the hot brine sitting against them so they seal.

Thanks for the clarification.  

I canned 6 more pints last night.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#25]
My Granny made sun pickles that were outstanding.  Wash the jars and place a grape leaf, pod of garlic, fresh dill or dill seeds,and a cayenne pepper in the bottom and add the cucumbers and enough brine/salt mixture to cover it all. She would then put them upside down in the sun for 10 days, turning them over each day.

The grape leaf was key as the pickles would be soggy without them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I used this about a month ago. My wife tried the first ones this weekend. VERY HAPPY! Thanks Bozeman!  
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 1:17:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Still have two weeks to go on mine...

Some garlic turned blue and is freaking my wife out.  I'm fine with it... Will be doing another batch soon. This time with a couple pints of green beans.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 1:25:36 AM EDT
[#28]
tag for later, going to try some of these.

-V
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Last night I opened the first of my 11 (so far) jars that I've made.

My first thought was, "Holy shit, too much salt!"  (so, I ate 3!)

I just finished one w/ lunch, and while I still think its too salty, its not a shocking as last night.  Great crunchiness, no mush at all.

I've got a counter full of cukes that I need to process.  Can I cut out some of the salt, or will that effect the shelf life?

This one was mostly dill flower/heads, a bit of the side leaf, and 1 clove of garlic (no pepper).  I've got some w/ LOTS of garlic, some w/ more dill, some w/ peppers, etc.

K
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm about to do my first round of these and have a question.......

I'm a complete virgin to canning, but I know one thing......Feral said to only use tested recipes.....I understand, and will do as told.

This recipe sounds like it would be excellent for other things, with a variation of dill/garlic/pepper for taste..... at least interesting to try, but I don't if I can make the deviations.

So....what other vegetables can I pickle with the same brine/method?

Some I thought about.

Zucchini
Green Beans....mentioned here
Carrots
Fiddleheads
Baby Onions
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cayenne peppers
Yellow banana type peppers
Beets
Eggs
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By a_number_1:
I'm about to do my first round of these and have a question.......

I'm a complete virgin to canning, but I know one thing......Feral said to only use tested recipes.....I understand, and will do as told.

This recipe sounds like it would be excellent for other things, with a variation of dill/garlic/pepper for taste..... at least interesting to try, but I don't if I can make the deviations.

So....what other vegetables can I pickle with the same brine/method?

Some I thought about.

Zucchini
Green Beans....mentioned here
Carrots
Fiddleheads
Baby Onions
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cayenne peppers
Yellow banana type peppers
Beets
Eggs

I have used this brine for banana peppers and jalapeno peppers, and they turned out great.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#33]
brocoli looks funny pickled...  it just turns brown. still good to eat but definately browns.  cauliflower works nice.

pickled beets are usually a sweet/sour brine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I think I have done somewhere around 36 pints using this recipe so far.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#35]
OK, I made 14 quarts and four pints with this recipe and 7 quarts and five pints with another.

The other recipe was quite a bit lighter on the brine.....

1 quart apple cider vinegar
3 quarts water
3/4 cup canning salt.

Seems way light on the vinegar but I'll know in about a month how they taste.

I've always used white vinegar and have never really loved the pickles I've made so I'm hoping one of these will be it

I can say, it was a whole lot easier to be in the house when making them with apple cider vinegar! The smell of the white vinegar would just about kill you
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#36]
that would worry me with so little vinegar
You need the acidity to kill well, everything.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Yep, I'm a bit concerned. Gonna eat them first, if I don't die I will try the ones I made with your recipe
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Just opened my first jar.  Unreal.  Thanks Bozeman!
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By mark75101:

Yep, I'm a bit concerned. Gonna eat them first, if I don't die I will try the ones I made with your recipe

What am I missing here? Don't both recipes use 1 qt. ACV to 3 qts. water?
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 10:54:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vinny] [#40]
Salt kills bacteria and inhibits bacteria growth.
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By Feral:

Originally Posted By jsteih:

So are you water bath canning them?  Or are you just heating all the "ingredients" to make sure they are sterile?

Just heating them for sterile

if you process them (water bath can them like all the books say) they turn into mush.

the acidity of the brine does it.

I'm still standing.  

I'm a stickler on following only tested canning recipes.

But pickling is an area that I'm willing to be flexible on. The high salt and vinegar rates make this technique acceptable to me. Years ago I asked an old country woman who's made pickles for many years with an equivalent technique if her pickless were safe. She looked at me quizzically, as if i were a bit slow, and responded: "What the hell's gonna grow in all that vinegar?"

Pickles done in a water bath canner, per Ball, tend to end up soggy....even if you use calcium or aluminum salts. You just can't cook pickles in a water bath and expect a nice crunchy pickle.

Would the same "rule" apply to banana peppers, since they are higher acidity than cukes?  Same process, but with 3-1 white 5% acidity vinegar - water and a tsp of pickling salt in each jar.  I just opened a jar of banana peppers I water bathed for 10 minutes and they are mush and they pretty much suck.  And I don't have the fridge space to keep up with these 4 plants!

Link Posted: 9/27/2010 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Brians_45:

So are you water bath canning them?  Or are you just heating all the "ingredients" to make sure they are sterile?

if you process them (water bath can them like all the books say) they turn into mush.

I'm still standing.  

But pickling is an area that I'm willing to be flexible on. The high salt and vinegar rates make this technique acceptable to me. Years ago I asked an old country woman who's made pickles for many years with an equivalent technique if her pickless were safe. She looked at me quizzically, as if i were a bit slow, and responded: "What the hell's gonna grow in all that vinegar?"

Pickles done in a water bath canner, per Ball, tend to end up soggy....even if you use calcium or aluminum salts. You just can't cook pickles in a water bath and expect a nice crunchy pickle.

Would the same "rule" apply to banana peppers, since they are higher acidity than cukes?  Same process, but with 3-1 white 5% acidity vinegar - water and a tsp of pickling salt in each jar.  I just opened a jar of banana peppers I water bathed for 10 minutes and they are mush and they pretty much suck.  And I don't have the fridge space to keep up with these 4 plants!

I would love someone to share a banana pepper ring recipe.  I am planning on canning some this week or next.
Link Posted: 9/27/2010 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#43]
tag for next year.
Link Posted: 9/27/2010 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By Brians_45:

I'm still standing.  

I would love someone to share a banana pepper ring recipe.  I am planning on canning some this week or next.

Here is the recipe Waldo gave me a while back.  They taste damn good and are awesome if you don't process them and just refrigerate them because they stay crunchy.  If you process them, they get mushy and are closer consistency to store bought rings.  They still taste good, though.

I just wash them, split lengthwise seed and raw pack in jars with a teaspoon of salt. Cover with boiling vinegar/water and cap. Nothing fancy. They make good sandwich peppers.

This is another case that will no longer pass USDA muster though. Use at your own risk, or put in fridge.

3-1 vinegar to water

Link Posted: 9/28/2010 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DancingBear:
Originally Posted By mark75101:

What am I missing here? Don't both recipes use 1 qt. ACV to 3 qts. water?

Nope.

For some reason I thought it was less vinegar

Its just a 1/4 cup less salt.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 4:41:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mark75101] [#46]
Tried a jar of the sliced ones today. I think I made them on 9/04/10.

They are damn good. Better than my old recipe, I'll make them again next season.

I think they will get better as time goes by. As far as dill pickles go, IMO, they peak at about a year but I'm pretty picky.

ETA: The jar I opened yesterday.....its gone.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#47]
bump
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By nikroft:
bump

Good reminder.  I'm going to open a jar for lunch!  They're buried in my basement.  Out of sight, out of mind.

K
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Taggage.  I make Pickled Eggs and pickled sausage.....  gonna have to try pickles now
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By kmmuellr:
Originally Posted By nikroft:
bump

Good reminder.  I'm going to open a jar for lunch!  They're buried in my basement.  Out of sight, out of mind.

K

So I grabbed a jar the other day after this post.  They've lost their crunch!!  WTF?  That was the best thing about them!!

Is that normal?  Is it just that jar?

K
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top