Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#2]
keep the jars in the hot water (so they are hot)
take jars out of water.
you put the ingredients in
you put the lid on, screw the ring down
and wait for the pop

NO PROCESSING

the heat is what kills the crunchiness

the brine kills the baddies.
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Can any left over brine be stored to use at a later date?
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#4]
we do.
the wife makes up a big batch (a pot full) and then does 3 or 4 jars every few days as the cukes ripen.

We probably don't keep it for more than a week.

and of course we cover it (ok, I do, the wife never does)

probably not real "proper" though, but seems to work.
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BozemanMT:
keep the jars in the hot water (so they are hot)
take jars out of water.
you put the ingredients in
you put the lid on, screw the ring down
and wait for the pop

NO PROCESSING

the heat is what kills the crunchiness

the brine kills the baddies.

From your recipe posted earlier in thread.

Brine: 1 Quart apple cider vinegar (not apple cider flavored)
3 Quarts water
1 Cup pickling salt
Boil 5 minutes - Keep hot

Wash and cut off both ends of pickles.
Cut large ones in half lengthwise.

Drop 1 clove garlic
1 piece dill
1 little red pepper
Into bottom of sterilized jar and pack pickles into jar upright. Place in hot water to heat jars (very hot!) Fill with hot brine. Heat lids and seal. Turn the jars upside down for a little while so that the lids stay hot. Turn right side up and make sure they seal.

Wait 3 weeks

Eat.

From the looks of it you heat the jars to sterilize them, pack them with the goodies then place them back into the water to fill with brine then pull them to add the lids and seal them.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 9:28:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BozemanMT] [#6]
No
you're misreading it.
I copied and pasted that out of the receipe.

put in hot water to sterilize.
put stuff in.

yank out, stuff pickles in (hot jar, always fun)
pour brine in, seal lid

done

there's no boiling in hot water after the lids are on.

that makes mush, not pickles.

DO NOT PROCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2009 11:43:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Well the wife and I just made a batch of these.  They sure sealed up quick too!  We have enough pickels to last a few years.  I've been giving away cukes and still have a bunch on the vines plus tons more blooms.  I don't remember how many we planted but next year I'm only planting one!
Link Posted: 7/10/2009 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Hey Boze, when you say one piece of dill are you talking about a head or branch?
                                                                                       Thanks
Link Posted: 7/11/2009 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By smalljaw:

Hey Boze, when you say one piece of dill are you talking about a head or branch?
                                                                                       Thanks

a head
about 1 to 2" around with the flowers/seeds part of it.
make sense?
Link Posted: 7/11/2009 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Yes it makes sense,i made 6 qts yesterday but i done it wrong. I'll have enough to make about 12qts today and will use  the heads.  Also my red peppers ain't came in yet so i deviated again, used hot banana peppers instead.

Thanks for the recipe

Link Posted: 7/11/2009 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Yes it makes sense,i made 6 qts yesterday but i done it wrong. I'll have enough to make about 12qts today and will use  the heads.  Also my red peppers ain't came in yet so i deviated again, used hot banana peppers instead.

Thanks for the recipe

Crushed red pepper like you put on pizza works good.

Link Posted: 7/12/2009 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Thanks

a head
make sense?

Any substitute using dried dill weed or seed?

Thanks,
-Slice
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By HomeSlice:

Thanks

a head
make sense?

Any substitute using dried dill weed or seed?

Thanks,
-Slice

I wouldn't.
go to your local farmer's market, they'll have dill

Link Posted: 7/20/2009 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Gotta try this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I made them tonight we'll see how they turn out in about a month or so.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 12:43:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I find this thread's lack of pictures...disturbing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I just cracked open my second batch of pickles.  This time around, I added:

1 tsp black peppercorns
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 habanero pepper sliced in half
1 thai chili pepper sliced lengthwise
4-5 cloves garlic cut in half

I let them sit for three weeks in the fridge as opposed to the cupboard.  I'm hoping this will keep them a little more crisp over the next few weeks.

This batch has some heat!  

Link Posted: 7/25/2009 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Blaculo:
I just cracked open my second batch of pickles.  This time around, I added:

1 tsp black peppercorns
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 habanero pepper sliced in half
1 thai chili pepper sliced lengthwise
4-5 cloves garlic cut in half

I let them sit for three weeks in the fridge as opposed to the cupboard.  I'm hoping this will keep them a little more crisp over the next few weeks.

This batch has some heat!  

Be dang careful....................... you are messing with the recipe. You've added raw peppers which takes this to a different level.

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By LOW2000:
For your cloudy pickle juice, I just read this:

http://www.pickyourown.org/pickles/makingpickles.htm

Bring the mix and vinegar to a near-boil - just simmering!
Be sure to use a NON-metal pot - or a coated metal (teflon, silverstone, enamel, etc.) without breaks in the coating. the metal reacts with the vinegar and makes the pickle solution turn cloudy.

BOIL THE JUICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do what the recipe says, don't mess with stuff that works especially when it isn't processed.

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:41:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Ok I am a week and half into the the three week waite.  I went by the directions to the T.  Will post pics of my smiling face if these things turn out as good as some say.  If not then you get pics of my hairy ass
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:51:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Pics gorramit!
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Made a batch of these.  

Heated the vinegar to a boil.
Pulled the jars out of the hot/almost boiling water they were sitting in
Dropped in fresh garlic and dill (Thank you to the wonderful lady on craigslist for the gallons of cukes and the MONSTER garlic)
Packed with cuke slices (we eat them better).
Poured the vinegar/brine over them and carefully removed air bubbles.
Wife cleans rim, places lid on and tightens band.  She does the band as I tend to over tighten.
She moves the jar to the counter and places it upside down for a few minutes.
Turns jar over and we count the pops.

We have tried 3 recipes this season and this one is hands down the favorite.

Thank you BOZ.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#24]
great, glad you liked it
it's clearly the "old fashioned" way to do it.

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#25]
i love this recipe.  i add calcium chloride to help keep the pickles nice and crispy.  we're going to be making a big batch in a few weeks.

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 12:10:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I own page 4.

Made another 11 quarts tonight.  Left out the hot pepper, wife wants them plain.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#27]
first pic

used Brozemans ratio on the liquids but used dill seed and minced garlic  

2 jars have half of a jalapeño 1 jar has a hole one that was cut in half and 2 are plane
this was my first time trying anything like this I cant what to eat them

the gun is a tuaras 24/7 pro c ds the knife is a kershaw Packrat
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 11:59:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DancingBear] [#28]
Thanks for the recipe. Went to the market this morning and am in the process of canning right now. A large basket of cukes - $6.00! My garden doesn't produce enough at one time to make a decent batch.
Good shooting.

Update: I canned 8 quarts with the above recipe( had enough liquid left over for two more, but I didn't have the jars. Five were w/o the hot pepper, three with (some of my friends just don't eat anything hot).
And just for an experiment I added fresh sliced ginger root to one of the "hot" ones.
One failed to seal so I put that jar into the frig.
Picture to follow.
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Any thoughts on using this brine for pickling Yellow or Jalapeño peppers?
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#30]

So last thursday i cracked open my first quart of 64, the pickles were at room temperature and since i hate wasting space in jars the first taste was a cucumber chunk .  I love salty stuff but i was nervous at the horror of wasting all those cucumbers because i wasn't impressed. I put jar in the refridgerator and let them get cold and to see if i would turn.

Later i dug a little deeper  and found a whole pickle thats why i took arf.com's word on it. One of the BEST DAMN PICKLES i ever ate!    Follow Boze's advice/recipe and ye shall be rewarded.

By the way Boze, any idea on how to keep my kids out of them?
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 3:39:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DancingBear] [#31]
Dupe. no pic.
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#32]
As promised:
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 11:12:01 PM EDT
[#33]
my brother, a friend, and myself just canned 48 quarts today!!!!!  holy shit thats a lot of work.  mostly baby cucs, so a lot of cleaning.  i used thai chili peppers and the others used those and habaneros.  i used some of my home grown garlic.  can't wait for 3 weeks to be up.

C
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#34]
i know how you feel i have 2 weeks left on mine
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I made 12 quart and 4 pint.

I dried some cayenne and habanero peppers out of the garden then put em in a ziplock crushed em up. I used a scoop of that in some jars.

5 more days.
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#36]
made two 6 quart batches but did not use the above recipes....

I use my own dill recipe.

These were the first cukes of the summer.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 1:00:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Made 7 quarts today.  I will see how they turn out in 3 weeks.  Thanks for the recipe.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I tried this three weeks ago with green beans, although I used red pepper flakes and a jalapeno. Very tasty, but I need to add a little more heat next time. Maybe a habanero. Thanks for the recipe.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#39]
THANKS

Made some spears with a scoop of the dried hot pepper blend  and they are the best !
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#40]
OK, stupid question ...so how long will a jar of pickles done in this manner last if kept out of the fridge?
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By UT-ARShooter:
OK, stupid question ...so how long will a jar of pickles done in this manner last if kept out of the fridge?

years
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By UT-ARShooter:

years

Not in my home!

Link Posted: 8/24/2009 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#44]
So tagging this.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#45]
I just broke mine open tonight, and they were excellent.  Thanks again for the great recipe.  I'm going to be saving this one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#46]
My husband directed me to this thread and the pickle recipe.  I made 11 quarts 5 weeks ago, 24 hours after finishing 10 had sealed but one had not. Three weeks later the lids were popping on all but two of them and now 5 weeks later the majority of the lids are totally convex and won't pop at all. Needless to say my husband is disappointed and I am looking for input on what went wrong! I followed instructions exactly and while I am not a pro at canning I did very successfully make two batches earlier that had different instructions.

Any and all input is appreciated, Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 1:10:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Giltweasel] [#47]

First batch of the year. A little late though. Will run another dozen or two quarts next weekend.

ETA: we lost a quart jar while heating. First time that's happened. I've had some go down to attrition while my daughter was washing them like a clod, but never while in the process of sterilizing. Was weird how it just cracked around the middle.  

Good thing we have lots more jars!
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 1:30:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By theghost:
made two 6 quart batches but did not use the above recipes....

I use my own dill recipe.

These were the first cukes of the summer.

Post recipe or you fail!
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#49]
I finally started eating these.  Best pickle I have ever had.  No way these are going to last all winter!
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 10:40:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Giltweasel] [#50]
Today's batches.

Some Pear/gingerbutter, Applebutter, Applesauce, Dill Beans, Dill Okra, Bozeman's Pickles in quarts, and a few other quarts with my wife's doctored recipes.
My daughter wanted some whole pickles so we used the 1/2 gallons jars. Was nice to try out the Presto 23qt pressure canner for those. Only pot we have that's tall enough for those 1/2 gallons.  Unfortunately the nipple is broken on the weighted release valve, thanks to the younger kids. Nobody knows anything about that though, of course. Good thing is it's not needed for regular bath processing.

eta:  3 pints of "firecrackers" too. The baby carrots in hot pepper brine. Also 3 pints of sweet/hot pepper jelly. That's a new one for us, so we'll see how it goes. It's mostly set up, but it might take a couple weeks to get as firm as we like it. Again, we'll see.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top