Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 5:34:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RSIFireRescue] [#1]
I would love to contribute to this as a provider in a high volume system, but this stuff is pretty well covered. I'm impressed with the OP. I do believe I shall gather up my "IFAK's" and EDC items and give the OP a pm, for approval to include my 0.05. (I think it's worth a little more than 0.02 in this category.)

Just don't want to go Hi-Jacking his thread.

ETA: I own page 7!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RSIFireRescue:
I would love to contribute to this as a provider in a high volume system, but this stuff is pretty well covered. I'm impressed with the OP. I do believe I shall gather up my "IFAK's" and EDC items and give the OP a pm, for approval to include my 0.05. (I think it's worth a little more than 0.02 in this category.)

Just don't want to go Hi-Jacking his thread.

ETA: I own page 7!!!

Feel free to share your thoughts with all of us.  I like to here what everyone's opinions are.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Going to go ahead and pimp out my offer to mail free medical training guides to those interested.

You can find details HERE
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven"t forgotten. I'll be jumping in on this one soon folks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 1:27:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the simple no bs FAK.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quick question:

Why not any super glue listed?  I know that in recent times every head wound my kids have gotten that have been pretty bad they just clean the area and glue it shut.

I would assume infection or OTC super glue isn't what a hospital uses, but one of the cuts my daughter had was rather bad and I thought for sure she was going to get stitches, nope Glue.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 11:57:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Garryowen] [#7]
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 10:16:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RSIFireRescue] [#8]
Okay here we go. I'll try to keep these thoughts organized.

The "IFAK" in my every day carry bag.

Since the moral of this post is bare bone no bs, I think my everyday carry IFAK fits the mold.

The bag itself is not some super duper high speed drop leg chest rig system, just a left over bag from a blood pressure cuff. Research of mine shows that it is 4"x6"x2" black bag, zipper opening on top. Not particularly heavy duty, but easily replaced as needed. Maxpedition has a 4"x6'' bag that would serve the same if you wanted heavier duty. It's called the four by six modular accessory pocket. But use whatever, but I would bet 4"x6" would be the minimum dimensions.

Contents as follows:
10- Bandaids
6-   Alcohol Preps
6-   2"x2" Gauze Pads
2-   4"x4" Gauze Pads
2-   5"x9" Gauze Pads
2-   4" Rolled Gauze (Kling)
1-   BloodStopper (This is a prepackaged 4x4 with 4" gauze attached to it, similar to a OLAES, in the manner which it deploys.)
2-   Triangular Bandages
3-   5cc Eye Flushes (I re-tasked these, all they are is 5cc single use tubes prepackaged in a group of four, for inhalation. They work great for eye flushes though)
1-   1" Transpore Tape
5-   Tegaderms
1-   CAT Tourniquet
1-   Sharpie (To write down time tourniquet was applied)
1-   Glucose Tube

Okay so some summary.

This is a different perspective, not meant to take away from the OP's write up which I think was SPOT ON. I vote for lafmedic1 as Captain of the EMS Special Operations Group.

Anyway, as said, this is an INDIVIDUAL first aid kit. Not for the masses, it's meant to treat me and my partner. I firmly believe that with this I can fully treat and transport any BLS read it, BASIC Life Support emergency. Splinting can be modified, sticks, boards, whatever you can find on an as needed basis. I fully second OP's recommendation of a SAM splint though. Having once had to make a field expedient (Read more- Scrounge) splint with rummaged items and this kit, a SAM splint is a great idea.

Moving on, their are some further medical contents in my EDC, though the above is what I consider my IFAK.

Also in my EDC bag, I keep a USGI Minor Surgery Kit for personal repair and family, for larger wounds that don't quite go back together as one is taught in the EMT class. (<––-Humor, smile, nod, laugh) Now the moment you've all been waiting for... an OLAES bandage. Just one. Yep, I got some Tacticool, not just boring Civilian world EMS products.

Also, in the bottom of Maxpedition Pygme Falcon II, I keep four of these, nicely seated at the bottom, and easily accessed thanks to the clamshell action of the main pouch:

4"x6"x2" BP Cuff Bag
6-   Alcohol Preps
10- Bandaid
6-   2"x"2 Gauze
2-   4"x4" Gauze
2-   5"x9" Gauze
2-   4" Rolled Gauze (Kling)
2-   Triangular Bandages
1-   1" Transport Tape
4-   Tegaderms

This was inspired by Tactical Med Solutions Active Shooter Response Kit, with its individually deployed IFAK's as the medic moves along, and a little extra room in my bag.

Any questions, ask. Please. I would love to answer some questions. Keep in mind, this is just the medical portion so, there is plenty of other exciting survival items elsewhere in the bag!

RSIFireRescue

ETA: I knew I'd forget something!!!

GLOVES GLOVES GLOVES. There is four pair at the top of my kit. Its the first thing you see when opening, and must move them to get to the contents. AKA put em on!!!
And Shears and Knife- two fold. I have shears (x2) on the outside of bag and knife as well. When at work, I'm well equipped as well but I think that will be a new post. Thats all.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#9]
My set up bag didnt work. Currently looking at a back pack system

Link Posted: 4/13/2012 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Raf, Can you come up with a cheap packaging system using surplus materials. A booksack isnt cutting it. The Swiss backpack I got at academy doesnt have enough small storage.

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#12]
This thread has been a wealth of knowledge. Thanks to everyone that shared.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By lafmedic1:
Raf, Can you come up with a cheap packaging system using surplus materials. A booksack isnt cutting it. The Swiss backpack I got at academy doesnt have enough small storage.  

These are $20, it doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#14]
How do the zippers hold up? Thats my main gripe with packs. If I could get snap closures or buckles like an alice that would be awesome. BTW anyone use their equipment yet ?

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By daemon734:

These are $20, it doesn't get much cheaper than that.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/DSCF1734.jpg

daemon - are those the MA20 bags from Condor

if so, then i'll have to add a few to my next order.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Sir_Peter:
daemon - are those the MA20 bags from Condor

if so, then i'll have to add a few to my next order.

Thanks

they are a mix of makers, I can't remember any f them offhand besides voodoo tactical.  None of these are condor, bt I'm sure condor makes the same bag, they are all upgraded copies of the m3 bag, with tougher material, Molle loops in the rear and fastex buckles instead of that stupid snap enclosure on the original.

I have three in the vehicles and one in the house, never had an issue with faster or zippers, the voodoo one is a bit harder to close when full than the others.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I was reading and thought I would add an opinion, remember its worth what you paid.  I'm a dentist so i put on 100 gloves a day some times.  This double triple gloving is a very bad idea.  1:  you need to find gloves you can put on when your hands are sweating, because they will and you will have to change them, get used to it.  That's why they make so many, if you have to, go powdered, but I hate them and with enough time and effort you can find good ones you can put on with damp hands.  2:   The gloves aren't made to be layered, they won't fit right, you won't handle things right, which means bad things will happen when you start trying to handle sharp things, so don't do it.  They make several thicknesses and materials so mix and match.  Bone chips are razor sharp but they aren't a problem if the gloves fit right and are the right thickness, trust me.  If they feel like they are cutting off circulation to your hand its because they are, that's to tight you need a larger size.  If you put them on and they are floppy at the fingertips that's not the end of the world but when you need them most they will fail you or you'll drop something so get a size smaller.  If you fit in the middle range like me with short fat fingers try different materials and you should be able to bridge the gap.  

This tourniquet debate:  Are legs falling off somewhere and I just didn't notice?  Can they be detrimental, you bet, but so is being dead.  I would risk a leg for a life any day of the week.  We have to think of the population we are dealing with.  Most people have never seen a pint of blood.  Much less hot sticky blood from a screaming person, and even less getting sprayed in the face by it.  To me the tourniquet is as much for the caregiver as the patient.  Less blood means more feeling of control of the situation for both the patient and the caregiver.  That means less likely to go into preventable shock, which in school they said was a much more common killer than blood loss.  And from how I have seen people react to a little blood from there mouth, I would agree.  Plus decreased circulation to the injured limb will lower the pain somewhat.  Just like when you arm falls asleep at night, not fun but not so bad you can't breath.  this might also help with preventable shock.  So I would promote everyone have one in the kit, and learn its proper but rare use.

My .02, and I've never had to use one to save a life.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 1:33:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RSIFireRescue] [#18]
Place holder for tourniquet info when I get more time for some educational typing :-)

ETA:::
Okay. Tourniquets are in use in my regional medical systems. They are no longer a latch ditch effort. They are front line use.

So with that in mind, simple terms, our algorithm goes as such.
Starting with the old:
Pressure//Bandage//Elevate//Bandage//Pressure Point//Tourniquet

And the new, is effectively the same, with the addition of the tourniquet being at a medics discretion.

Obviously, "At medics discretion" involves the ability to recognize a few simple things
-Arterial Bleeding
-Significant Trauma (Including Amputation)
-Multi System Trauma (Multiple locations on the body, Multiple points on a single appendage)

Case Study for example:

85 y/o female extensive heart history on Coumadin (Blood Thinner) cuts her leg accidentally by walking into end table.
Notes - Hemodynamically stable, no other outward indications of medical problems or complaints. Wound is 6 inches long, "oozing" Bright red blood.

With this in mind, we must look at what indicates an arterial bleed. Typically these will present as spurting with each beat of the heart as seen in the movies.
However, That will not always happen, should the artery be simply "knicked" and through the layers of skin, present as an "ooze". This is still a potential indication of tourniquet use.

Actions taken including considerations: Bandage and wrap with pressure bandage, bleeds through. Add additional and elevate. Not bleeding significantly, only enough to warrant additional bandage after 8 minutes. Again, after eight minutes, bled through again, add bandage and compression. This remedies situation.

Should this last bandage application had not ended bleeding, I would have applied a tourniquet.

As far as the indications and contraindications of use of a tourniquet in EMS field;
Indications: As stated above, multi system trauma, amputation, time sensitive when detail is needed at other locations of body, uncontrolled arterial bleeding.

Contraindications (AKA DONT DO IT IF): Greater then two hours travel to definitive care.

Notes: Once the tourniquet is applied, DO NOT REMOVE. Only trained professional should remove. This could disturb clotting of the blood and restart bleeding. ALWAYS note on the tourniquet (if a commercial model) the time that is was applied for emergency room staff. Tighten the windlass only tight enough to stop bleeding.

For those rushing out to buy a commercial tourniquet, remember they are simple to make. Some cloth and a stick.

In my PERSONAL, NOT MEDICAL ADVISE, opinion, I would use the tourniquet in a survival/wilderness/back country camp situation last. This is of course its so obvious you have arterial bleeding that it is the only way to stop.

So hopefully this helps some. Sorry for its length. I've come back to it a couple times while working so, sorry if the thoughts are not one hundred percent organized. Your "gut" feeling will go far if it ever comes down to even considering using a tourniquet. Go with you gut. Not my writing. Use this as a base, some simple basic knowledge. But use what you are presented with as your determining factor. And for the love of god, if it ever comes down to it, dont pull out your smart phone to double check this thread if you ever feel the need to apply. GO WITH YOUR GUT!!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Good Argument with sound reasoning. Thanks for adding. I would like to keep this as a living document

Place holder for tourniquet info when I get more time for some educational typing :-)

ETA:::

Okay. Tourniquets are in use in my regional medical systems. They are no longer a latch ditch effort. They are front line use.

So with that in mind, simple terms, our algorithm goes as such.

Starting with the old:

Pressure//Bandage//Elevate//Bandage//Pressure Point//Tourniquet

And the new, is effectively the same, with the addition of the tourniquet being at a medics discretion.

Obviously, "At medics discretion" involves the ability to recognize a few simple things

-Arterial Bleeding

-Significant Trauma (Including Amputation)

-Multi System Trauma (Multiple locations on the body, Multiple points on a single appendage)

Case Study for example:

85 y/o female extensive heart history on Coumadin (Blood Thinner) cuts her leg accidentally by walking into end table.

Notes - Hemodynamically stable, no other outward indications of medical problems or complaints. Wound is 6 inches long, "oozing" Bright red blood.

With this in mind, we must look at what indicates an arterial bleed. Typically these will present as spurting with each beat of the heart as seen in the movies.

However, That will not always happen, should the artery be simply "knicked" and through the layers of skin, present as an "ooze". This is still a potential indication of tourniquet use.

Actions taken including considerations: Bandage and wrap with pressure bandage, bleeds through. Add additional and elevate. Not bleeding significantly, only enough to warrant additional bandage after 8 minutes. Again, after eight minutes, bled through again, add bandage and compression. This remedies situation.

Should this last bandage application had not ended bleeding, I would have applied a tourniquet.

As far as the indications and contraindications of use of a tourniquet in EMS field;

Indications: As stated above, multi system trauma, amputation, time sensitive when detail is needed at other locations of body, uncontrolled arterial bleeding.

Contraindications (AKA DONT DO IT IF): Greater then two hours travel to definitive care.

Notes: Once the tourniquet is applied, DO NOT REMOVE. Only trained professional should remove. This could disturb clotting of the blood and restart bleeding. ALWAYS note on the tourniquet (if a commercial model) the time that is was applied for emergency room staff. Tighten the windlass only tight enough to stop bleeding.

For those rushing out to buy a commercial tourniquet, remember they are simple to make. Some cloth and a stick.

In my PERSONAL, NOT MEDICAL ADVISE, opinion, I would use the tourniquet in a survival/wilderness/back country camp situation last. This is of course its so obvious you have arterial bleeding that it is the only way to stop.

So hopefully this helps some. Sorry for its length. I've come back to it a couple times while working so, sorry if the thoughts are not one hundred percent organized. Your "gut" feeling will go far if it ever comes down to even considering using a tourniquet. Go with you gut. Not my writing. Use this as a base, some simple basic knowledge. But use what you are presented with as your determining factor. And for the love of god, if it ever comes down to it, dont pull out your smart phone to double check this thread if you ever feel the need to apply. GO WITH YOUR GUT!!!

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 1:01:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks LA & Raf!
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Yay. Thanks Raf and all who helped this post grow.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Bump

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Good bump. Any more discussion LA?

Questions from others?
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 1:36:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sredish] [#25]
TQs are a tool like most anything else in a 'kit'...  they are so small and take up such little space, especially when you can make it out of the cravat and bic pen in your hand that it's kind of dumb to not to have the ability or be aware.  i'm sure a lot of us know that new protocols push going straight from direct pressure > tq while in reality it may not always be a necessity.  but, when you need one, you are going to want one fast as things can spiral out of control quickly.  it's been shown that a tq can have no neg effects for a period of up to several hours but if it's been that long or longer, they may need some bicarb and fluid therapy (not to be worried about in this discussion) for definitive treatment.  i think when you start talking the 4 hour mark is where you start getting into murky water with where life before limb becomes a factor but still, life before limb.

my point is, don't get caught without one, especially when they're so easy to fit into your kit.  obviously you can make one out of a lot of different things but if it's going to be easiest to have a combat tq in your kit for fast application, then get one.  remember, we're not trying to doctor these people slowly, we are trying to quickly save someone's life and for purposes of this thread, we are in a survival scenario, we may not have the luxury to sit tight and baby a heavily bleeding injury.  if they're bleeding and it quickly appears they're bleeding profusely and initial signs show that direct pressure is having a hard time controlling it, you are not going to hurt them or immediately cause them to lose an arm by putting on a tq.  just make 100% sure to note the time you put it on so you can advise whoever will be taking over care of the individual how long the tq has been there.  

soldiers in the field will go several with a tq on and have no negative affects afterward, they generally just need to be monitored and administered some fluid and meds during it's removal.  we are talking basic med kit and to me, a tq (or the ability to make one) is one of the number one things to have in your med kit.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Nothing so far. I will be going to the EMS expo in Oct/Nov and will add Pics

Good bump. Any more discussion LA?

Questions from others?

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Soon, I will do my write up on what I carry.

This will be what I carry on the back of my "battle belt", that I wear when I hunt, hike, So on and so forth.

It is set up as a basic pack, as I am a EMT basic.

I do carry some things in it that are more advanced, to care for family should I ever need to.

Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone purchased SAM splints yet ?

Heres a nice demo.

Link Posted: 9/4/2012 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone purchased SAM splints yet ?
Heres a nice demo.
http://youtu.be/lPmVTKuSbio

been using them for years at work.  I'm a big fan.  you can get the blue and orange version or camo/od on ebay.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#32]
There is a knock off version thats cheaper also for the budget minded people.

Link Posted: 9/5/2012 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#33]
There is a knock off version thats cheaper also for the budget minded people.  

Does it work as well? Not that the SAM is overly expensive online.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#34]
My wife is an emergency room PA-C that deals with the trauma side also. Our kit is quite extensive for the vehicles and camping trips. But hands down the best thing is a SPOT locator if it is not TEOTWAWKI.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#35]
We get them from time to time. I find they are a little more flimsy but thats not a bad thing sometimes.

Link Posted: 9/19/2012 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#36]
I like SAMs because of how easy they fold up / roll up and stay that way but then flatten out when you need em...  and they're pretty inexpensive to throw 2 or 3 in your bag.
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 2:57:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By sredish:
I like SAMs because of how easy they fold up / roll up and stay that way but then flatten out when you need em...  and they're pretty inexpensive to throw 2 or 3 in your bag.

I bought a SAM SPLINT II witch is 'flat packed, just to have.

It was $9 shipped, so I thought it was worth having.  Very light in weight, so not a big deal for me.

Chris

Link Posted: 9/19/2012 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ChrisGarrett:

It was $9 shipped, so I thought it was worth having.  Very light in weight, so not a big deal for me.

Chris

What's the difference between the SAM and SAM II? Is it just the color?
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I think they're both pretty much the same.  Honestly, not even sure what ours say on em but i think it may be a new color revision for the military or something.
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 3:00:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChrisGarrett] [#40]
Originally Posted By oogabooga289:
Originally Posted By ChrisGarrett:

Chris

What's the difference between the SAM and SAM II? Is it just the color?

I once asked that same question.

One is rolled and one is folded, for packaging purposes.  Colors were the same at the time.

Sam Splint II is folded and has a pictogram of ways to use it, printed on the splint itself.

Chris

Link Posted: 9/19/2012 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Gotchya. Thanks for the info, guys!
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Warning

New shears that usually were made in pakistan are now common from China. These do not have nearly the life span or durability of the older ones. Brand new pair today failed the "penny test "

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#43]
That's no good. How are we supposed to impress little kids on the boo boo bus now!
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Warning

New shears that usually were made in pakistan are now common from China. These do not have nearly the life span or durability of the older ones. Brand new pair today failed the "penny test "

Is there a good source for high quality shears?
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By MrBear80229:
Warning

The penny test just wears them down ...
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Just wanted to see if they could do it . The almost broke in half. A good pair or shears can last a while. I give these a month .

Originally Posted By NotIssued:

Originally Posted By MrBear80229:

Warning

The penny test just wears them down ...

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 2:40:11 AM EDT
[#47]
There is no quality in these any more.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone went to this expo this week?The only thing I found worthwhile for this thread was the benchmade cutters that fit in places a shear can not .

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 12:13:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Great posts and I love the info
I do have to disagree with the anti quickclot and tourniquet. I keep combat gauze in my truck kit and me and my gf witnessed a motorcycle suv accident where the guy lost his lower leg and me and her were the ones providing care till ems arrived. We used a belt for the tourney and my quick lot was used. Both of those things potently saved his life and kept him from bleeding out. Both will always be a included in my kit b.c of this.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Last Poster, not disagreeing with you on the quick clot and TK, a lot of the discussion posed has been related to direct medical protocols for medical professionals.

In a situation such as yours, that is absolutely correct though.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top