Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:25:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLHX2112] [#1]
Fired mine up for the first time in about a year. Took about 10 pulls but then it finally fired up, blew some white smoke, and purred away for an hour until I shut it down.

Holy crap, I've had it since 7 Oct 2011.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GLHX2112:
Fired mine up for the first time in about a year. Took about 10 pulls but then it finally fired up, blew some white smoke, and purred away for an hour until I shut it down.

Holy crap, I've had it since 7 Oct 2011.
View Quote
10 pulls???

You obviously didn't use any additive or it would have started on the first pull...

Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, I used additive. 3 years ago. I think.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag because I want a Tailgator
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:28:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LTCetme] [#5]
Just got my latest HF catalog. The tailgator is on sale for $88 and the catalog has a 20% off coupon.

That makes the generator about $70+tax.

You ain't getting one much cheaper than that.

FYI

ETA: Corrected. no coupons on gennys
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By LTCetme:
Just got my latest HF catalog. The tailgator is on sale for $88 and the catalog has a 20% off coupon.

That makes the generator about $70+tax.

You ain't getting one much cheaper than that.

FYI
View Quote
You can't use the 20% coupon on generators.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
You can't use the 20% coupon on generators.
View Quote
No shit huh? Damn.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:13:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Coupon code 46780445 drops it to $89.99. Ends on September 30
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
View Quote
That's like four 50rd. boxes of 40 cal. at Bass Rape Shops!

My red Storm Cat started up on the 3rd pull after 4 full years of sitting in my kitchen.

Get the better NGK plug, buy a Briggs & Stratton pancake gas filter, get better fuel tubing and run synthetic/marine oil in your (hopefully ethanol free) gas and you should be fine.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
The super coupon in the sales flyer I received today has it for $88.48

Price good until 11/30/17
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:40:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By packnru:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By packnru:

What's the coupon code?
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 1:15:45 AM EDT
[#12]
What's the coupon code?
View Quote
Numbers under the barcode are:

Link Posted: 10/14/2017 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Could this power a standard fridge?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bantis:
Could this power a standard fridge?
View Quote
Most likely

We recently upgraded to an LG super wide double door fridge at a location [love it], and it would be interesting to test the current draw on the inverter reciprocating compressor that LG uses.

It is completely different in principal to the rotary hermetic compressor and the compressor is driven by a smart inverter PS.  [Another failure point]

Also, 120 vac variable frequency 'motor' [or most anything else] drives are now available cheaply ---and they can be programmed for a slow 'soft' start at a given current and lower frequency, and might enable a little genny like the H-F one, to start motors otherwise impossible to start.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:25:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, I swung by w/ the Sinister tonight & finally picked one up.  We've got some old mix in the shed, I should probably mix up some new to test it w/.  I'll try running an extension cord through the cat door & see if it can run the fridge.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Got one.....

Test ran yesterday morning.

Used it last night for lighting and the fans for a BBQ with the wife.

Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Finally got to put my blue Chicago Electric one to some good use. Had to drain a swimming pool. Owner turned off the electric and it was green. Ran a submersible pump off of it the first day for 4 hours and it drained 7 inches of water. Didn't want to leave it overnight. On the second day I ran 2 submersible pumps for 6 hours and drained about 18 inches of water, only used about 1/2 gallon of fuel. Third day ran the 2 pumps for 8 hours and used about 3/4 gallon of fuel. All done and it performed well above my expectations.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:49:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PCBliss] [#18]
Going to pick one of these up today for $89 with coupon.

Didn't read back through the whole thread, what is the part number for the NGK plug? Is it BP5ES?

Do they carry this plug or any other good substitutes at Walmart, like the AC Delco, Autolite, Bosch or Champion?

EDIT- Looks like they have the NGK 7832 (BP5ES) in stock at my local O'Reilly
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 10:49:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MateFrio] [#19]
Don't forget a spark plug boot.  The one on the generator is awful.  May want to pick up some better fuel line as well.

http://a.co/dUzo662

Link Posted: 1/3/2018 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MateFrio:
Don't forget a spark plug boot.  The one on the generator is awful.  May want to pick up some better fuel line as well.

http://a.co/dUzo662

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61u0f-z8SYL._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote
Good idea. I did the fuel filter upgrade, when I got it. My fuel line has a semi-hard 90 in it. I'll post a pic later. What is a good fuel line and is there a good small molded 90 elbow that could be used? I've never had any problems with fuel delivery and had to drain a second much larger pool. Took about 9 days to drain, only running during the day. Only ran it out of fuel 1 day, mostly because I got there well after dark. Was going through about 1 gallon of fuel every 2 days. Worked like a champ. One of the two pumps is from Harbor Freight. It has an advertised rate of 1600 GPH at 0' lift and 0 GPH at 25' lift. The deep end was approx. 12 foot deep so it was real slow.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:40:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By -Omega-1:

Good idea. I did the fuel filter upgrade, when I got it. My fuel line has a semi-hard 90 in it. I'll post a pic later. What is a good fuel line and is there a good small molded 90 elbow that could be used? I've never had any problems with fuel delivery and had to drain a second much larger pool. Took about 9 days to drain, only running during the day. Only ran it out of fuel 1 day, mostly because I got there well after dark. Was going through about 1 gallon of fuel every 2 days. Worked like a champ. One of the two pumps is from Harbor Freight. It has an advertised rate of 1600 GPH at 0' lift and 0 GPH at 25' lift. The deep end was approx. 12 foot deep so it was real slow.
View Quote
Just about anything an auto store has is better than the ones that come on them.  I don't know about an elbow.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 7:46:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PCBliss] [#22]
Picked it up yesterday at lunch along with the NGK BP5ES spark plug. I was in a hurry due to the blizzard arriving today, so I didn't get the plug boot. I'll tackle that along with better fuel lines in warmer weather.

Mixed up some fresh non-ethanol 91 octane at 50:1 along with some Sea Foam and it fired right up. It seems to run and work well. I was a little bummed that my Ryobi super charger doesn't seem to like the power from the generator, as this was one of the main reasons I bought it. The charger just keeps restarting itself. I have a radio, lanterns, cell chargers, fans, etc that use the Ryobi drill batteries and I was looking for a way to charge these during power outages. I have single battery Ryobi chargers so I will try one of those to see if I get a different result. I understand that battery chargers tend to be picky about having clean consistent power.

The generator is much quieter than I was expecting. Sounds just like a idling weed trimmer, which makes sense because that is essentially what it is.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:24:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PCBliss] [#23]
Does anyone know if LED lights will flicker when running off this generator? I have an outbuilding that I have installed a small solar setup in for lighting, but in the winter months the solar is not optimal. Was thinking a couple of these led shop lights would be a perfect use for this generator also.

Something like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Pro-Strip-Shop-Light-Common-4-ft-Actual-6-5-in-x-48-in/999911231

Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Should work fine.  Try your battery charger a) with a separate load, like a 100 W lightbulb, and b) after the genny's warmed up.  Might throw a multi-meter on it and check the voltage on it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Much more expensive, but an interesting option in this size generator.
900W, Inverter Output, Propane fuelled.

Ryobi 900W Propane Inverter Generator
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Thats pretty nice. I'm no pro, just a DIY guy but I have many Ryobi tools. Probably a dozen of the One+ Lithium Ion tools, few chargers, half dozen batteries, 2-stroke weed trimmer, and had nothing but great luck with them. For a DIY guy around the house, their stuff is GTG IMO.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:55:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#27]
Ryobi Propane Powered Generator

Quiet
Ryobi 700/900 watt propane generator
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:  Much more expensive, but an interesting option in this size generator.
900W, Inverter Output, Propane fuelled.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/5da35a76-ccf1-487b-8bef-de0650bfd61e/svn/ryobi-inverter-generators-ryi911lp-1f_1000.jpg

Ryobi 900W Propane Inverter Generator
View Quote
Interesting.  When I was looking @ propane generators in 2013, I was told a propane generator would freeze a 1 lb bottle.  Obviously not.  We're getting closer to the personal A/C backpack.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Interesting.  When I was looking @ propane generators in 2013, I was told a propane generator would freeze a 1 lb bottle.  Obviously not.  We're getting closer to the personal A/C backpack.
View Quote
It all depends on the draw.  One of these little sub-1000w jobs just sips at the fuel.

I'd wonder about runtime, I might get a naughty idea to join those mad rogues that refill one pound bottles, but I'm sure the dud rate is lower on the ryobi.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#30]
You can refill 1 lb bottles for an unknown # of times before the weld cracks.  Will it crack while you're refilling it, and now you have 1 lb of propane outgassing next to your large propane tank, no sources of ignition?  No problem.  Will it crack while you're carrying it on your back in your 900W generator, w/ electrical things running & a hot exhaust port?

I'm thinking this might be the ticket for situations like planemaker's trip to Puerto Rico after the hurricane.  LOTS more power than solar, if you can get the propane.

@planemaker
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#31]
 Try your battery charger a) with a separate load, like a 100 W lightbulb, and b) after the genny's warmed up.  Might throw a multi-meter on it and check the voltage on it.
View Quote
Yep - with another decent-sized load connected, the AC power produced by these generators tends to start looking a lot more like the ordinary AC that comes out of a wall outlet - which makes fussy AC-powered devices a lot happier.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Skibane:
Yep - with another decent-sized load connected, the AC power produced by these generators tends to start looking a lot more like the ordinary AC that comes out of a wall outlet - which makes fussy AC-powered devices a lot happier.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Skibane:
 Try your battery charger a) with a separate load, like a 100 W lightbulb, and b) after the genny's warmed up.  Might throw a multi-meter on it and check the voltage on it.
Good to know, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
Normally that would be true - but this is the smallest engine powered generator I have ever heard of with only a 40cc engine.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#34]
You can refill 1 lb bottles for an unknown # of times before the weld cracks.  Will it crack while you're refilling it, and now you have 1 lb of propane outgassing next to your large propane tank, no sources of ignition?  No problem.  Will it crack while you're carrying it on your back in your 900W generator, w/ electrical things running & a hot exhaust port?

I'm thinking this might be the ticket for situations like planemaker's trip to Puerto Rico after the hurricane.  LOTS more power than solar, if you can get the propane.

@planemaker
View Quote
Looks neat, actually. Although, they say this on their web site: "We're unable to ship this item to: GU PR VI". Not sure why they'd say that. Usually they say that when there's hazmat on-board before they put it in the box. Also too bad you can't carry propane on the plane.

The weight isn't obnoxious at 25lb. It just becomes a question of how to get propane at the destination. You could probably run ~300W worth of amplifier for the radio with 700W, which could certainly come in handy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Amusingly, I got a 1lb bottle of propane shipped to my APO box in Kuwait through Amazon, but my Bug-A-Salt gun was seized.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:

It all depends on the draw.  One of these little sub-1000w jobs just sips at the fuel.

I'd wonder about runtime, I might get a naughty idea to join those mad rogues that refill one pound bottles, but I'm sure the dud rate is lower on the ryobi.
View Quote
Use an adapter to run off of a 20# bottle.

Amazon Product
  • 10-foot-long hose eliminates the need for a fuel filter
  • For use with Mr. Heater MH9B Portable Buddy and MH18B Big Buddy
  • Does not leach oil into the fuel stream; both ends tighten securely

Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#37]
That Ryobi comes with an adapter hose (albeit really short).

Link Posted: 1/5/2018 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
That Ryobi comes with an adapter hose (albeit really short).

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/a2ead3aa-34ec-466a-ba6c-f4ee2776b413/svn/ryobi-inverter-generators-ryi911lp-fa_1000.jpg
View Quote
Bah - just splice some garden hose in there. What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 4:44:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dace] [#39]
Originally Posted By R2point0:

www.amazon.com/dp/B001CFWF5U
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R2point0:
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:

www.amazon.com/dp/B001CFWF5U
They are all over Amazon for much cheaper.

Amazon Product
  • CONNECT 1 Pound PORTABLE APPLIANCE TO 20 Pound PROPANE TANK - Hose with adaptor fitting let you hook your 1lb propane required propane appliance with 20 lb tank or lager by connecting this adaptor, Allows connection to more fuel
  • COST EFFECTIVE - Stop spending your money on 16.4 oz / 1lb propane tank that will last you few hour of usage, With this adaptor you can use it on 20lb or larger tanks that will last you long period of time, Convenient for those with larger tanks.
  • WEATHER RESISTANT - This High Pressure Hose uses highest quality rubber to ensure you safe leakage free operation while providing excellent weather resistance, Safe and made of quality material

Amazon Product
  • CONVERT YOUR 1 Pound PROPANE TANK TO 20 Pound - Hose with adaptor fitting let you hook your 1lb propane required propane portable appliance with 20 lb tank or lager by connecting this adaptor, Allows connection to more fuel
  • SAFETY - Built-in excess flow protection and thermal protection. CSA Certified.
  • WEATHER RESISTANT - This High Pressure Hose uses highest quality rubber to ensure you safe leakage free operation while providing excellent weather resistance, Safe and made of quality material

Link Posted: 1/5/2018 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Thankfully I didn't need the generator during the storm so I am working on breaking it in some more tonight. Fired it up when I got home from work. Temp was 0F and it took about 15 pulls to start but it did start up. I'm sure if I brought it in to warm up for 15 minutes it would have started easily.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#41]
We had a brief power outage this morning, just long enough for me to get the Tailgator out of the garage and onto the patio.  Power came back on before I could read the instructions.

It started up fine when I remembered to switch the choke to start, and it's running down a half-tank of gas/oil mix now running my little space heater set on low.  Global warming on both ends of the power cord!

It comes w/ a little particulate filter under the fuel cap now, which doesn't show in the parts diagram.  I popped the top of that off, and just fueled through it.  Left the plastic cap off, figured w/ the gas tank cap I didn't need the plastic one.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I just exercised my little genset.  It has been requiring the choke to stay on for longer and longer times over the years.  Today it wouldn't start so I pulled the air cleaner cover off to give it a shot of starting fluid.  I couldn't find a filter behind the cover.  Looked online at the manual and there is none shown.  Has anyone checked theirs to see if these things come without one?
Removed the old fuel, cleaned the bowl, shot carb cleaner through the few orifices I could see with the bowl off and it starts on the first pull...
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DUX4LIFE:
I just exercised my little genset.  It has been requiring the choke to stay on for longer and longer times over the years.  Today it wouldn't start so I pulled the air cleaner cover off to give it a shot of starting fluid.  I couldn't find a filter behind the cover.  Looked online at the manual and there is none shown.  Has anyone checked theirs to see if these things come without one?
Removed the old fuel, cleaned the bowl, shot carb cleaner through the few orifices I could see with the bowl off and it starts on the first pull...
View Quote
LOL, over the years, mine has needed more and more choke to run. Finally quit today.
Pulled plug, NGK, looks good.

Will pull and clean carb and add fuel filter.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#44]
I did find the filter.  Not much there.  I ran some sea foam through it and it runs great again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I broke in the genny, but carb issues finally reached a point where I just bought a new carb from amazon.
Repeated cleanings weren't cutting it.

I installed this one and it seems fine now:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0SFUJ1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ordinarily I'd just keep tuning it, but for $14 it's just easier to wrap this up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By jkm:
I broke in the genny, but carb issues finally reached a point where I just bought a new carb from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0SFUJ1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&;psc=1

Ordinarily I'd just keep tuning it, but for $14 it's just easier to wrap this up.
View Quote
On the list to get one as a backup.  That's not a bad price.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I just ordered a Tailgator model 63024(supposedly better than the 63025) because of you people. It’s on sale for $89.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#48]
While servicing the generator this spring I replaced the fuel line that had gotten brittle.  I took the time to install an inline fuel filter.  I feel better about it now.  Also, the recoil spring is a real bugger to reset...
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Tried to start mine up for the first time in 7 months. Will not start. The plug boot came apart when I pulled the plug. I had upgraded to the NGK plug when I bought it, so I will upgrade to the NGK boot. I will clean the carb and maybe replace the fuel lines and hope to get it going.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jkm:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0SFUJ1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For many of my small engines I am finding its almost as cheap just to buy another new carb vs the rebuild kit.  I am all for rebuilding but when your talking $10 difference I start to wonder if hours spent fiddling with it is worth the $10.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top