Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 24 of 24)
Page / 24
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#1]
This thread hasn’t seen much traffic in awhile so I’ll try posting it here and then if not much interest I’ll try posting a new thread.

What size pack do you think is ideal for a BOB and why? Details as to why you chose what you did?

Cubic inches or liters

I know this is a very subjective question and location will have a huge impact on why you chose the size you did. Just looking for a variety of opinions.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I just reuse old 3 day assault pack or medium ALICE rucks.  All my kit inside is old TA50 that I know works and how to use it.

CD
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd say 40-50L.  If you are reasonably fit, you can move with that for a bit, and it can carry a fair amount of gear.  I think over 40 is where most people would severely overload themselves.  50L, if you gave a couple bulky items.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Kelty Redwing 50 but only buy when on sale. About 3.5lbs empty.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#5]
So here is a stupid question. BOB or GO BAG. Tell me the difference. I have a backpack setup as well as a smaller bag in my setup. Is it overkill?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By low96hb:
So here is a stupid question. BOB or GO BAG. Tell me the difference. I have a backpack setup as well as a smaller bag in my setup. Is it overkill?
View Quote

It just depends if you have a place to buy out to. All I have is an emergency possibles/get home bag. Bug out supplies are already presaged at my BOL and along my route to same so as to lighten the load. In today’s climate I think any preparations will serve you well.

@low96hb
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By low96hb:
View Quote

Bug out bag is designed to sustain you for the long term, away from resupply, for the duration of an event. For example, you live in a big city like Chicago and there are massive riots and violence, streets shut down, etc. You need to get to safety, probably by foot, or with the supplies in your car. You won't be coming back for weeks or months. A common scenario people like to reference is leaving home with the family to survive in another location, like a national forest or similar. That's not realistic. It's much more probable you will be with a buddy or living in a car/hotel for weeks or months. There is no long term bug out without a "bug out location" that you've groomed for years.

Go bag (get home bag?) is a bag designed to handle just about everything for a very short time. The most likely scenario I can think of is that mass violence breaks out while you are at work and you need to get home, 25 miles away. You're likely to need weapons/ammo, blow out kit (first aid), some food, water, basic tactical gear, etc.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By raimius:
I'd say 40-50L.  If you are reasonably fit, you can move with that for a bit, and it can carry a fair amount of gear.  I think over 40 is where most people would severely overload themselves.  50L, if you gave a couple bulky items.
View Quote

Problem with anything in that range is that it looks like a pack, which is going to equate to "stuff" for anyone interested in ripping you off. My day hiking pack is 26 liters, and while it isn't big enough to carry a real sleeping bag or shelter it has a little bit of the essentials I need if I were stuck outdoors overnight on one of my hikes.
Weight and the pack suspension are two critical components as well. Thirty pounds in a properly constructed and loaded pack will feel differently than the same weight in an ultralight pack that is poorly loaded.
Anyone reading the advice in this thread really needs to put the advice to practical use before you're forced to do so by circumstances such as an actual bug out scenario. In other words, use the advice here as a foundation of advice, but once you have your own pack loaded up go out and walk around with it on. Take it out overnight and put the gear to a practical test. That's the best way to find out what works best for you
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#9]
100% agree.

We even ruck with weighted bags a few times a month. You'll be surprised how much suck 40lbs in rough terrain can inflict. Even as little as 4-5 miles will tell you if your shoes/socks/ruck are configured properly.

Link Posted: 12/23/2021 2:32:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Me and the wife have been gathering lots of survival items for SHTF scenerios that may/might, or could happen the way things are going.

We also live in secluded rural country, where we probably won't see much uprising, and have good surrounding heavy and thick wooded areas with good flowing creeks to choose from, compared to city dwellers where there's more danger of being out in the open for just 1-city block.

I also hunt and fish, so getting food wouldn't be a problem with any of the gear I(we) have and we also have books w/pictures on what wild berries/mushrooms are safe to eat that would also go into this bob.

Now that we have all this stuff, we need a pack to put it all in and there's so many sites that have these packs for sale.

What are some selections in a BOB material one should look for when one wants something good, but at reasonable price. Would like to keep BOB around $100 or less(sales).

Should it have webbing sewn onto material to give better strength, as I see these backpacks with and without webbing.

Denier 600 and oxford600 are just a couple materials I've seen some of these packs made from. I grew up at a time when canvas was the material one needed and you just silicone sprayed it down like you'd do a tent to keep it water resistant.

Hard to choose when one doesn't know one material type from another.

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Under 100$
Stick with a med or LG Alice or molle 2 .

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 5:04:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: writerdeluxe2006] [#12]
Originally Posted By protus:
Under 100$

View Quote

What proteus said or one of these given your price point.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

I always look at what section hikers use as a guide.

https://sectionhiker.com/osprey-packs-atmos-ag-50-backpack-review/
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 8:32:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: protus] [#13]
Originally Posted By writerdeluxe2006:

What proteus said or one of these given your price point.

www.amazon.com/dp/B082P5K19F

I always look at what section hikers use as a guide.

https://sectionhiker.com/osprey-packs-atmos-ag-50-backpack-review/
View Quote

Well those got cheaper lol.
For under 100 I'd go with the kelty.
The surplus stuff has external frames with allow yo to become a human pack mule.
Not my gig now that I'm older.....I mean wiser now

Eta....
Just watch the size..
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 11:12:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rodical] [#14]
Originally Posted By protus:
Under 100$

View Quote

Get Home Bag...   5.11

$80.00
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

Would recommend internal frame if you're going any appreciable distance.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Would recommend internal frame if you're going any appreciable distance.

Yah, was trying to keep low profile on floor board of truck... Basics, couple mountain house, water, rain/wind jacket and small meds, bandage packet... Actually just my get home bag... Bob is 35lbs, have a couple adjustments in store for the weight...
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#19]
PSA for those of you who leave your bag "ready to go", as I figure most of us do.

I've had two water bladders leak/bust on me over the last few years. Usually, they're shitty cheap ones, which is my bad. I'm moving to MSR/Source for everything.

That's not really what I wanted to talk about, though. I store my go-bag in my DECKED bed storage, which means it's subject to humidity and temperature changes. This has caused it to sweat a lot, creating standing moisture in and around my bag and other gear. This is true even for my MSR bladder.

I'm now going to be storing water in solid containers away from everything and storing my bladders empty. Would suggest you do the same. Similar issues with freezing temps busting bags. You could even use water bottles if you wanted.

View Quote

I've stored my bladders empty with water bottles next to the bag sufficient to fill the bladder for just that reason. I've always used Camelbaks, but started to move over to the Source bladders recently and I really like them.
I've also got a Decked system, and despite the marketing hype they are NOT weatherproof (found this out with some MP5 mags), and I still can't believe they even suggest keeping weapons stowed in there unless you are just taking them to and from wherever. I usually have something that moisture isn't going to mess up in the small channel at the bottom of the drawer to keep the bottom of the bag up out of the collected water, and the bag contents I keep in dry bags or ziplocks/Aloksaks as appropriate if it is something that needs it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:19:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcauz3y] [#20]
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Back to the top with you.

I was able to attend the DARC TUSC course this year, which is a 5 day course where you live and fight out of your bag for 5 days/4 nights.

I was very, very pleased with all of my equipment.

A couple of minor observations:

1. You have too much food, we all did.
2. Your sawyer mini is going to fail you. Though to be fair, I knew this going in and performed better for it, but a lot of people struggled.

That's about it.
View Quote

What was your issue with it? Burst, flow stoppage, something else?
I picked up one of the little MSR Trail Shot filter pumps to see how that works.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Flow stoppage. The little filters do great until you have filter something that isn't mountain stream water. They don't fare well at all with very compromised water sources and a lot of particulate.

At the end of the first night, my filters were creating maybe 1 liter every few hours. They were basically useless on day 2.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

What was your issue with it? Burst, flow stoppage, something else?
I picked up one of the little MSR Trail Shot filter pumps to see how that works.

Flow stoppage. The little filters do great until you have filter something that isn't mountain stream water. They don't fare well at all with very compromised water sources and a lot of particulate.

At the end of the first night, my filters were creating maybe 1 liter every few hours. They were basically useless on day 2.

I will second this.  I used mine below a "beaver pond" due to lack of any other water source close to my temporary hunting/ spike camp and the mini only had one weekend worth of that in it.

They do clog up easy when using a less than ideal water source.  I broke mine apart after just to see what was inside of it and later learned that soaking it in vinegar can actually clean it out a bit.  I have not been in another situation to clog one up that bad again, so I haven't had a chance to try that particular cleaning/ back flush method.

https://www.aventurenordique.com/media/catalog/product/n/e/nettoyage-filtre-sawyer-micro-squeeze.pdf
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#25]

We were backflushing after each liter to keep the filters going. Day 2 they wouldn't backflush anymore.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

I will second this.  I used mine below a "beaver pond" due to lack of any other water source close to my temporary hunting/ spike camp and the mini only had one weekend worth of that in it.

They do clog up easy when using a less than ideal water source.  I broke mine apart after just to see what was inside of it and later learned that soaking it in vinegar can actually clean it out a bit.  I have not been in another situation to clog one up that bad again, so I haven't had a chance to try that particular cleaning/ back flush method.

https://www.aventurenordique.com/media/catalog/product/n/e/nettoyage-filtre-sawyer-micro-squeeze.pdf

We were backflushing after each liter to keep the filters going. Day 2 they wouldn't backflush anymore.

Were you also prefiltering with some cloth or anything like that?
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Yessir, we used these or something similar.

https://www.eztestpools.com/water-tech-micro-filter-vacuum-bag-pack-of-5-p30x022mf/
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Torque556:

Were you also prefiltering with some cloth or anything like that?

Yessir, we used these or something similar.

https://www.eztestpools.com/water-tech-micro-filter-vacuum-bag-pack-of-5-p30x022mf/

Have you settled on a replacement purification or filtration method yet?  (I have several Sawyer products of all sizes, maybe I need to get something different.  )
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I appreciate the comments on the sawyers actual use as I have had a sawyer mini in my go bag for a few years now and have wondered how any real world use(simulated or not) would treat them. I think it’s time to order a katydyn myself for my bag. I’ll keep the sawyers as back ups.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#31]

The sawyers have a place, for sure.

We've started to focus on avoiding processing water while on the X. As you can imagine, sitting at the water line is super dangerous, so it's better to procure dirty water and process it in a safe place.
View Quote

This is what has me eyeing gravity filters.
Scoop and go...
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Page / 24
Next Page Arrow Left
Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 24 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top