Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
Redid the home back up medical supplies. We keep stuff handy in the pantry downstairs but this is for less used or back ups.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455820/7EC39106-BA45-4F0E-BA53-66F3794176B9_jpe-1565117.JPG
View Quote

Not seeing any antibiotics on those labels... or dental. Something to consider
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:

Not seeing any antibiotics on those labels... or dental. Something to consider
View Quote

Dental is covered and Antibiotics are elsewhere ;-)
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 2:41:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BTccw:
Picked a couple gallons of blueberries and dried them.
Worked on Chicken fencing.
Today its add to firewood fort.

Read an interesting article from Yahoo via Forbes about the 32 things you DONT need.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/guns-32-other-things-definitely-173000913.html

BRB.
View Quote

Wow that’s a stupid article!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I took an intro welding class. My welds aren't pretty but we beat on them with a hammer and they held up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GremlinHunter:
I took an intro welding class. My welds aren't pretty but we beat on them with a hammer and they held up.
View Quote

Nice!  I’m definitely lacking on welding skills.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#6]
This weekend I ordered a new Pc. Found a slickster in stock.

Otherwise worked on smoking meats, collected some bacon fat, and padded my daily caloric intake with whiskey. Not sure that’s ideal but it sure makes the weekend more fun
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#7]
My prep for the day is taking my 10 and 12 years old daughters to the range and got them started with 22lr rifles.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bluegrasshopper:
My prep for the day is taking my 10 and 12 years old daughters to the range and got them started with 22lr rifles.
View Quote

Prep and 2A future building. You win the internets today
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#9]
After the Trump Supporter was executed last night decided to remove all NRA and BFL stickers from my vehicles
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:47:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CastleBravo91] [#10]
Ordered a bunch of Cyalume SnapLights in green, red, blue, and white. Today I will begin scouting a cache sight as well. Also looking at fixed blade knives for the Oh Shit Bag.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Picked a few cases of food from the LDS cannery Wednesday.  Got in a pound of yeast and a 33 pound pail of chickpeas from Rainy Day Foods delivered today.  Picked up some more meds and got gauges for tension pneumothorax use if needed.  Found some coconut/avocado oil mix at Walmart marked down, got some more salt and a bit of canned meat today.  Found a lone box of 9mm at Academy on Friday, $12.99 for 50.  Use to think that was expensive when getting it at Walmart.  Academy clerks told me that 50 people were lined up before store opening to get ammo, I found a box people missed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Made contact on my ham radio. Nice to know that it actually works(and that I can do it) and it wasn't just a waste of money.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Spring till now we have put up dried smoked king salmon,froze silver salmon and wife put up a bunch of dried pike.
Wife and kids picked 15 gal of salmon berries,15 gal of blue berries and at least 5 gal of black berries.

After river break up we went logging and were able to score quite a bit of birch and a bit of spruce. Have some cotton wood also. All of it is split and just needs to got into the wood shed.

Will be going moose hunting thus weekend. Hopefully one will give themselves to us.
Waterfowl and beaver will also be harvested.

Lucky enough to stock up on almost 200 pounds of flour before prices really jumped. Have 4 pound of yeast with help from my sister in L48 helping send up hard to get items. We missed the cutoff to order sugar off the barge at much cheaper price than local.
Mostly set with canned goods but will have to reorganize to see exactly what we have.

Medicine wise we are low on pretty much everything. Store have been out of a lot of commonly used items. Ordering on line is tough as most will not ship to rural AK.
Sister in L48 has helped they are tough for her to get.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m stocking up on air and oil filters for all the vehicles. 4 each.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I picked up a new ballistic helmet yesterday .  Now  I need to start research and saving for NVG or Flir etc etc

I upgraded my  ham radio in my vehicle last weekend to this =  https://www.gigaparts.com/icom-ic-2300h.html . I still need to save up for a base station.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 2:00:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chris_in_TX] [#16]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
Picked a few cases of food from the LDS cannery Wednesday.  Got in a pound of yeast and a 33 pound pail of chickpeas from Rainy Day Foods delivered today.  Picked up some more meds and got gauges for tension pneumothorax use if needed.  Found some coconut/avocado oil mix at Walmart marked down, got some more salt and a bit of canned meat today.  Found a lone box of 9mm at Academy on Friday, $12.99 for 50.  Use to think that was expensive when getting it at Walmart.  Academy clerks told me that 50 people were lined up before store opening to get ammo, I found a box people missed.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73248/IMG_20200901_173656041__2__jpg-1573203.JPG
View Quote

The home food storage store is great.   Too bad they quit selling the granola cereal, it was good stuff.  We're filling in the gaps with Auguson as they have a lot more variety.

Now I have to learn how to bake so I don't waste all of that flour I bought. I can do pancakes/waffles and I'm getting biscuits down.  Bread is next.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I went to the hospital 2x this week for low back pain that made me lay on the floor crying. Got a CT after years of assuming I knew what was going on. Not wrong but I guess it’s time to get it addressed.

Least fun prepping yet. Time to call the surgeon
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought 2 shelving units from Lowes yesterday because they had a good Labor day sale on them, I plan on using them as my shelving for my pantry
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#19]
In-laws came down with cheap meat from rural PA. We have 3 freezers packed to the gills with a quarter cow, 50+ pounds of chicken and I think 30 pounds of bacon. Could eat well for months!
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:
After the Trump Supporter was executed last night decided to remove all NRA and BFL stickers from my vehicles
View Quote

I haven't had any sort of stickers for years because of vandalism/burglaries I saw when I was a cop.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TXGunnersM8:

I haven't had any sort of stickers for years because of vandalism/burglaries I saw when I was a cop.
View Quote

May or may not keep a glove box full of bumper stickers that may or may not get applied to vehicles at some events of a specific political leaning.  You know, to show solidarity with their cause and stuff.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

May or may not keep a glove box full of bumper stickers that may or may not get applied to vehicles at some events of a specific political leaning.  You know, to show solidarity with their cause and stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TXGunnersM8:

Epic trolling. 10/10
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Part 1 of a TCCC class with friends.

Also painted a rifle for the first time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#24]
We've been canning a few of batches peach jam/butter.  Ran by the LDS food store and got a case of canned rice, oatmeal and veggies.   Bought a bunch of mylar bags and O2 absorbers to store some dry goods later.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Took a Stop The Bleed class this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Went to an estate sale this past weekend.

Picked up 5 blue plastic water storage containers with spigots. Never used. $10 for all.

Each one holds 7 gallons.

Same sale new BIG bottle of Stabil for gas...$2
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Picked this up at a garage sale from someone moving out of state. Paid $150. Not great, but available.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/19/2020 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By caduckgunner:
Picked this up at a garage sale from someone moving out of state. Paid $150. Not great, but available.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83781/9BDCE31D-90AC-4D6A-B659-483B638D6BB8_jpe-1598773.JPG
View Quote

Not great? Looks pretty good for $150.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 6:33:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronnoc] [#29]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By caduckgunner:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83781/9BDCE31D-90AC-4D6A-B659-483B638D6BB8_jpe-1598773.JPG

Unless it's way out of date, that's a heckuva deal.  My only concern would be that since it's AZ if it was stored in a hot garage or shed, otherwise, GTG.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Bought a second deep freeze last week.  Today the store had 10 pound tubes of 80/20 ground beef for $1.69/lb, we bought 60 pounds, couple of pork butts, beef roast, 10 pounds of swai at a $1.99/lbs, and some other meat things.  Going to seal it in a foodsaver,
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Bought half a cow.
1/2 a cow (Big Mac) in the freezer is worth 4 elk in the bushes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for restarting this thread.

Ran the generator this evening. Nothing like knowing it "should" start when you need it.

Reached out to a buddy who has no chainsaw so I gift him an extra.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#33]
not nearly as exciting as the rest of you... but I've been trying to evaluate the need for quality night vision... I have a couple of 4x32 ACOGS mounted and the 8mm exit pupil they give is about the best my old eyes can hope for... the glass and coating give outstanding light gathering and transmission for conventional optics... I have a pair of inexpensive Tasco binoculars, a 7x35 and 12x50  ...my house is in an older part of town, with close structures and multiple privacy fences .... large trees block most of the direct street lighting other than immediately under the light...I do not have a uninterrupted field of view, and live on the corner with 4 primary lanes of access... trouble would most likely come directly from the easy access of the paved streets

local law enforcement had an activity down the street about 5 blocks away after dark... put the folding camp chair near the curb, and brought out the binoculars...after my eye dilated (facing away from a street light) and at this point the 7x35 with the 5mm exit pupil is slightly brighter than the 12x50"s  4.2 exit pupil, just as the numbers suggest... the 12x magnification made distance estimation very difficult

if roving gangs are the threat, and street lighting is still operable, that is all I can hope for.... I've learned a bit more than I knew last week... anyone else relying on conventional optics for night vision? query your set up... thank you
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By lasnyder:
not nearly as exciting as the rest of you... but I've been trying to evaluate the need for quality night vision... I have a couple of 4x32 ACOGS mounted and the 8mm exit pupil they give is about the best my old eyes can hope for... the glass and coating give outstanding light gathering and transmission for conventional optics... I have a pair of inexpensive Tasco binoculars, a 7x35 and 12x50  ...my house is in an older part of town, with close structures and multiple privacy fences .... large trees block most of the direct street lighting other than immediately under the light...I do not have a uninterrupted field of view, and live on the corner with 4 primary lanes of access... trouble would most likely come directly from the easy access of the paved streets

local law enforcement had an activity down the street about 5 blocks away after dark... put the folding camp chair near the curb, and brought out the binoculars...after my eye dilated (facing away from a street light) and at this point the 7x35 with the 5mm exit pupil is slightly brighter than the 12x50"s  4.2 exit pupil, just as the numbers suggest... the 12x magnification made distance estimation very difficult

if roving gangs are the threat, and street lighting is still operable, that is all I can hope for.... I've learned a bit more than I knew last week... anyone else relying on conventional optics for night vision? query your set up... thank you
View Quote

Bonus points for actually testing your gear.

If it's an urban area and you expect the lights to remain on a good weapon light is probably more appropriate than night vision.  It will be lighter, more maneuverable, and you will maintain better situational awareness IMHO.  NV is a much more powerful tool when there are not secondary light sources.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

No. I stopped buying guns last year so I could buy night vision instead. It's not just for shooting. It's for everything at night. So you could watch out of your darkened windows on a darkened street and see people before they see you. You can navigate. You can drive with lights off. Add a bit of IR and it's literally a superpower.

I was in west texas in a canyon that's one of the least light polluted places in the US. In the dead of night you can't see your hand in front of your face. I could literally run while holding a borrowed PVS 14 up to my face. My wife got tired of me sneaking up on her, too
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:29:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lasnyder] [#36]
Stevie and Sea2summit.. thanks for the quick reply...Surefire Scout light on the primary, a 16" with TA31F...  Solarforce P60 on the 870... TLR-1 on the G17 RMR2 in Recover Tactical brace....
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Stevie and Sea2summit.. thanks for the quick reply...Surefire Scout light on the primary, a 16" with TA31F...  Solarforce P60 on the 870... TLR-1 on the G17 RMR2 in Recover Tactical brace....
View Quote

@lasnyder remember the good weapons lights you have act like tracers. They work both ways. Passive night vision is (mostly) undetectable to the people or things you are looking at if that factors into your decisions.

A basic night vision set up is also 5x-20x the expense of a weapon light. My suggestion is if possible, get both. I can always move around and view under night vision but then click on a weapon light to let someone know I see them, should that need arise.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#38]
as far as today, pulled cash from the bank, exchanged an old and empty propane tank for a full one, and bought a half cord of firewood.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#39]
A little generator fuel for $100...

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Just topped off Gas storage with another 20 Gallons.

Bill
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By bill3rail:
Just topped off Gas storage with another 20 Gallons.

Bill
View Quote

We added another 30 fresh gallons of automotive  fuel and 35 more gallons of non-ethanol to our stores. $2.09 a gallon for the automotive fuel.

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Picked up a set of RNVGs last year after stashing away pennies for a while.  Just picked up Hogster 25mm thermal scope this week.  Love it!  I highly recommend thermal now.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Just learned how to sous vide. It’s low and slow cooking in a water bath and then sear with anything hot.

Seems like it may be a good way to cook with power down, it’s low heat, low draw, and very safe
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Pav56C:
Found a restaurant supply warehouse that doesn't require a membership.
Picked up another 50# rice, 25# flour, 24# sugar, and 25# salt
Also have the buckets, mylar, and O2 absorbers to package it all up. Hopefully get some of it done tomorrow.
View Quote

In the 2 months since I've packaged everything up. Procured and packaged and stored an additional 100 lbs of rice. And have recently procured an additional 100 lbs of corn meal. Hopefully I'll get that stored up in the next few days.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Got a vac sealer! Time to learn how to store stuff the right way.

Is there a good idiots guide somewhere?
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Vaquero:
Did six miles in 1:43 with 45# and four like minded dudes.
View Quote

This!! Now that's how you prep!! 💪
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Cleaned the basement which is the combo reloading room and preps storage.

It was like an archeological dig. I found tons of stuff I had forgotten about. So I concentrated on one box at a time and put things where they needed to go permenantly. Made some progress and will make more tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Worked on my small side gig this weekend. Hit up some garage sales.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#49]
This week I harvested about half of the grapes on my back fence, the rest are overripe now.  Made some jelly and juice.  Got a sampler set of Harvest Guard reusable canning lids.  I canned a couple jars of jelly with them and they worked well.   I'll probably buy some more later, especially since metal lids are nonexistent these days.

Got some more #10 cans and powdered milk from the LDS food storage store.   Found some MagTech 5.56 that wasn't stupid expensive but only 100 rounds.

I set up a compost bin for next years garden. Started filling it up with leaves and lawn clippings and veggie scraps from the kitchen.   I'll toss the leftover grapes in there too.

Made some bread like I was going to.  My yeast was expired but unopened and kept in a cool basement shelf.  Dough didn't proof up like I thought it would but turned out better than I thought it would.   Used a stupid easy recipe from the Jenny can cook Youtube channel. It's Jenny Jones (yes, the one from tv).  Check her out.

A couple of others that I have been watching.

Appalachian's Homestead with Patara  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXyRtDXzptYN56-UxNhYAbQ
She has a good buttermilk biscuit recipe.

Cowboy Kent Rollins (Dutch oven/cowboy cooking)  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClrMJRlvoyoWsVlB-7c61PQ

Suburban Homesteader  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ_C7InOfRR6KIe7G90wTZA

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 2:28:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Got my lifestraws that were on sale on Prime Day. I've got 2 now for each family member.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top