Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 83 of 83)
Page / 83
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:27:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't even know this thread was still alive.  Ruger 57.  Pain in the ass with a weapon light.  Can't get retention from your trigger guard and can't get it from the ejection port because the slide serrations are like saw blade teeth, they cut into the Kydex every time you draw and return...  Had to run it with less retention than I like.... but serves my purpose.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bizill:
Didn't even know this thread was still alive.  Ruger 57.  Pain in the ass with a weapon light.  Can't get retention from your trigger guard and can't get it from the ejection port because the slide serrations are like saw blade teeth, they cut into the Kydex every time you draw and return...  Had to run it with less retention than I like.... but serves my purpose.

https://i.imgur.com/XfYhH2lh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/q3f6QIXh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Rx6Do0Uh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/FpPz6buh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/k59lDTYh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NNNVIGDh.jpg
View Quote

Looks good.
Weapon lights always suck trying to block off for the first time.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok so i have read quite a few of the pages on this topic.
My question is i started recently with a revolver and didn't get a lot of definition.
How do you guys do a revolver?
I used 2 pieces heated to 280 put them in my ckk press.
I got some definition around the cylinder but not on the barrel.
Also, the the top plate of the press was not flush with the bottom.
Any suggestions? Honestly i think i should have started with a semi-automatic which is probably easier.
I'm using .80 kydex btw
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mobility6:
My question is i started recently with a revolver and didn't get a lot of definition.
Any suggestions? Honestly i think i should have started with a semi-automatic which is probably easier.
I'm using .80 kydex btw
View Quote
Way more heat. Try getting the material up closer to the 330-340 range. Semis are easier in general, but vary in difficulty depending on the make/model.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mobility6:
I'm using .80 kydex btw
View Quote

Large revolvers can be difficult. What gun? What size press? Also make sure the kydex is heated evenly. On larger or hard to mold guns, I mold one side at a time. Gives me more time to get it situated before it cools.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 4:04:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if it would help to add a thin layer of foam just forward of the cylinder in case the cylinder is taking up too much tension on the existing foam. Just a thought, but I don't have a press myself yet, so take it with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 6:25:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mobility6] [#9]
Originally Posted By hoboninja:

Large revolvers can be difficult. What gun? What size press? Also make sure the kydex is heated evenly. On larger or hard to mold guns, I mold one side at a time. Gives me more time to get it situated before it cools.
View Quote

S & W combat magnum 4 inch barreland a taurus tracker 6 inch barrel

using CKK 12 press
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I've gotten out of the Kydex game beside the occasional holster or mag carrier for myself.  

Were is a good place to sell used holster making gear?  I thought about in the EE but it doesn't really fit a single category.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By millsusaf:
I've gotten out of the Kydex game beside the occasional holster or mag carrier for myself.  

Were is a good place to sell used holster making gear?  I thought about in the EE but it doesn't really fit a single category.
View Quote

kydex benders group on facebook
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:48:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HEATH223] [#12]
My stuff came in today so I was able to try it out. I ended up getting the Kydex just a little bit too hot but not so much that I messed up the look. I’ll put the attachment point across from the cylinder I see now that I should’ve put it lower. When I go to draw it the muzzle end of the gun wants to pull away from my body and not slide out smooth so I added the string to tie it to my leg. I had intentions of just putting rivets to hold it closed but it was too tight so I had to put screws with rubber washers to give a little relief. My kydex must’ve shrink a little when I heated it because I should’ve had enough to cover the trigger guard but I came up short. I think it turned out pretty good but I did also learn a thing or two. I still need to finish the edges and maybe remove a little more kydex here or there.

ETA... I ended up coating the outside of the gun with oil and working it some and now it slides out a lot better.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice work! I'm guessing that molding so deep into the cylinder flute should add a bit more safety since you weren't able to cover the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Long-running thread!

Asking for a friend (really!):  is there any source for free or fairly inexpensive 3D models of a wide assortment of handguns?  A little OT, but this friend is into making custom leather hosters, and having trouble coming up with molds.  Thinking about the possibility of carving some molds out of a durable hardwood with a CNC router, but I haven't found a great source of models yet.  I've found some for 3D printers that may work with a little tweaking, but most are built for software packages I don't have.  

Pros and cons?  I know this isn't directly about Kydex forming, but seems like it could possibly be applicable to either Kydex or leather.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:13:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Finished a p80 10mm 6" and had to drag the kydex out after not making a holster for a couple years.  Didnt get carried away with fancy speed cuts since it's a range/hunting holster.
I should look into a taco style press cause that long slide was a pain to get the kydex even across the top.  But it came out ok looking and functions perfect.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bendigo78:
Finished a p80 10mm 6" and had to drag the kydex out after not making a holster for a couple years.  Didnt get carried away with fancy speed cuts since it's a range/hunting holster.
I should look into a taco style press cause that long slide was a pain to get the kydex even across the top.  But it came out ok looking and functions perfect.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26018/20210305_155133_jpg-1853691.JPG
View Quote

Looks good!  Taco style is the only way to go IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I've boxes of pancake holsters I've made but never used.  The taco iwb and owb competition ones get used all the time.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Have always loved this thread :-)

Can anyone direct me to a Kydex Holster maker that is willing to work on some custom holsters with me?
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Pants for 43x
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I just found this thread.  So amazing. Am starting from page 1
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Welcome and enjoy! I've got a couple kydex projects to work on, just have to find the time and then I'll post them up to keep this out of the archives.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Howdy!

Looking for a custom kydex maker willing to work with me on some personal holster projects.  
My expectations are a well-made, clean product and I would order several holsters once we settle on what works.

Have had success here in the past so thought I would ask again.

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Haven't done any holsters in a while but sometimes do a knife sheath for the poop knife ebay blades I put handles on.
This blade besides being a bit crooked seemed to have a good heat treat.  Done for a buddy that invited me out hunting and provided a tag.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Good summary for new folks
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#27]
OST
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 2:38:20 AM EDT
[#30]
I found this thread after googling how to modify a holster with a hair dryer. Looks like I have a little bit of reading to do.
Page / 83
Next Page Arrow Left
Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 83 of 83)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top