Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:03:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Found a 2" tri-ball draw bar last week that somebody was throwing away.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 5:53:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wildweasel] [#2]
CL free section Picked up a 24"x24" kiln I will convert to a heat treat oven.  free. I thought it was much smaller in the ad lol,

good thing I brought my suv and the lady had a moving dolly and some boards thing must have weighed 300 lbs.   still in the suv till I make a space fo the thing int he shop, I will have to take it out with an engine hoist.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:54:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: migradog] [#3]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Good to see this thread pop up again!

A few months ago I was given a 38" Lawn Tractor so I fixed it and flipped it for $460.00 cash.

Last week I picked up a 38" Lawn Tractor and i am currently waiting for about $25.00 in parts to fix it.  I should flip it for a few hundred more than I spend on it.

Bill
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I was contracted to clean out 2 rental properties as a side job. Found a couple of BB guns, an Imperial folding skinner knife, a brand new pair of Ricky boots, and a Bear Grizzly recurve bow and I'm still not finished with the first property.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#6]
migradog Great score!!! Are you keeping it all?

PITA45Great score!!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Tagscribe/resurrection.

I've had good luck this last year.

Most recently I had a neighbor a few houses away move and they were emptying their garage into a couple bagsters out front.  Got a kero heater, buddy heater, brass for reloading, a few steel spinner targets, and other miscellany.

In the spring I got a 5 gal can of kerosene, some scrap lumber, and some assorted hardware (I scrapped a lot of it but sorted and saved a good bit including some brown AL flashing nails I need for a project).

In the winter/fall I got a mil-surp down sleeping bag, a couple of Coleman gas lanterns, some tools etc.

Theres a half dozen large toys for my kids in the backyard, a kitchen, a couple grills, a little castle with slide all free
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 10:58:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bill3rail] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:
Tagscribe/resurrection.
View Quote

Some thread resurrections are good to see, this is one!

Not too much since my last post in 2018.

5000w Honda Generator that needed a field flash, sold within a week for $250.00.

3500w (110v only) Champion Generator which needed a valve adjustment and some minor work to the frame.  Need to sell that one!

Snow thrower that needed fresh gas only.

Some antique gas lamps from a dumpster prior to selling their home.

That is off the top of my head, I am sure there are plenty of other items.

Bill
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Dave15:
My youngest brother made yet ANOTHER killer score:

His wife wanted to show him her grandparents place, where she spent summers.
She hadn't been there in over 40 years.
Well, they're walking around looking at it,and an old lady comes out and asks if she could help them.
Invites them in. Tells my brother her husband is getting Alzheimers and she is going to sell the place and move them to an assisted living place closer to their family, BUT she needs to clean up first.

My brother said that the barns and outbuildings were FULL of tools and materials-guy was an electricial contractor.
He offered to do it .
Saturday,between copper, brass, and # 1 steel,  scrap brought him $1492!
(first day of hauling, 3pu/trailer loads) PLENTY more to go-didn't put a dent in it!

There were steel drums FULL of nails,
(Had to go get his Bobcat w/ pallet forks to move stuff) screws, miles of copper wire, conduit,etc

He has already sorted over 800 breakers for resale!
(scored me a box of hard to find Stab-Loks, up to 50A)
Plus a bunch of panel boxes

And tools?
There were so many he finally stopped sorting and stated scrapping.
I got a bunch more mattocks, pipe wrences, files, drawknives,spokeshaves,axes,etc

His scavenging has saved ME thousands over the years!
View Quote

For the love of god! please destroy all Sab-Lok material! No one should put that in their buildings.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Last week l scored a 10'x10' canopy that had a broken arm in the accordion style side frame work.  The wind had snapped it right in half at the central pivot joint.

About 2 hours and $7.50 for epoxy and a new rasp, l had a piece of hard wood shaped and fitted inside the piece.  Works great and you'd never know if l didn't point out the repair.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Garage sale, not free.

Got 2 20lb propane tanks, one full one empty for $30 total.  Not bad, not great but I wanted tuo get a couple more anyway.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#12]
A community yard sale today.

Got 7 pint jars and 5 rings (I have extra flats) for $1 total.

Condor 6 mag shingle $2

Leather "welding" gloves for $1
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I found a Gerber Para-frame about a month ago, and it hadn't even been run over. Sharpened it up, and it works fine!
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Markypie:
I found a Gerber Para-frame about a month ago, and it hadn't even been run over. Sharpened it up, and it works fine!
View Quote

I was shooting at a huge pit/gravel pile in the Olympic National Forest, and looked down- there was a brand new stainless Leatherman tool- one of the big ones.  Wow!

Got home and couldn't find it.  

Pretty sure I left it one the bumper while I was rearranging things....  

I guess it didn't want to be owned.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:

Got 7 pint jars and 5 rings (I have extra flats) for $1 total.

View Quote

Not really a curbside find but someone gave me about 50 different quart and pint canning jars with screw tops.  She was going to put them out to the curb if I did not take them.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Mainsail:

I was shooting at a huge pit/gravel pile in the Olympic National Forest, and looked down- there was a brand new stainless Leatherman tool- one of the big ones.  Wow!

Got home and couldn't find it.  

Pretty sure I left it one the bumper while I was rearranging things....  

I guess it didn't want to be owned.
View Quote

The gravel pit giveth, the gravel pit taketh away.
I found a Gerber multi-tool at a car wash once. Cleaned it and sharpened it, gave it to my daughter.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Wife found 4 cases of MREs (2010 date) on a fb buy nothing group and I picked them up on my way home from work today.

Link Posted: 9/13/2021 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Found a pair of channel lock pliers on the side of the road. A little rusty but they will clean up enough for shop duty. Curb picked a self propelled mower. Some minor work, and I was able to flip it for $100 profit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Got a case of mason jars from a neighbor. No lids but I can grab some locally. Might need to distill some lawnmower fuel this winter and fill them
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Was out jogging on Plano Parkway a few days ago, and found an entire roll of US Postage stamps discarded in the grass.

I keep hoping to find a discarded pistol one day.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Was walking to my guard shift one night at Camp Macgregor, and noticed a Gerber assisted opener lying in the dust. Turned out to be a decent knife.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:
Was walking to my guard shift one night at Camp Macgregor, and noticed a Gerber assisted opener lying in the dust. Turned out to be a decent knife.
View Quote

see that's funny, I was hiking on day at Camp Macgregor and lost a gerber assisted opening knife
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Got another 10 canning jars free from FB marketplace.  2 of them even had lids!
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Scored an unused Coleman lantern at a yard sale for 5 bucks.  I happened to already have the mantles in uses, so I'm in business.  I have a nicer model, so I'll just leave this yard sale find up at the deer shack instead of taking my Northstar back and forth.  One less thing to pack.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 5:19:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitulu] [#25]
I got an American Lawn Reel Mower for my postage-stamp sized backyard and a solid wood dresser that has "Made in America" branded inside one of the drawers, both for free from a guy that had just retired and was moving out of his on-post house. Wife took a can of white that matched the dresser and touched it up, and it is now upstairs in the spare room.

Back in Germany, I was taking the trash to the dumpster, and someone had set a cardboard box with 8 Coca-Cola glasses in it. The glasses are different colors (red, green, blue, etc) and have "Coca-Cola" embossed on one side in English, and in a foreign language on the other side. Scooped them up, ran then through the dishwasher, and they looked like new.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#26]
picking up a free butane single burner stove/grill this afternoon. Actually going to trade a beer for it, but that seems fair. Also snagging a refillable fire extinguisher and 3 lanterns today for $25. can't argue that!
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Daughter and I picked up at least $70 worth of lumber from a free pile the other day.  Full 2x4s, 2x6s, and tons of good scraps.

She brought home 4 1x6's the other day she found being thrown out in a lane and we made new shelves for her room.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Dont remember which thread it was, but someone mentioned Hawkins Cookers (smallish 3L pressure cookers) for cooking dried beans etc. from preps.

I had been looking at them on ebay and such for a little bit but just scored one off of FB for $5! Came with an extra gasket too

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 12:42:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#29]
Reverse "Found Free" post:

I have a set of 28" LogRite logging tongs, see blue item in pic below.  I haven't used them in +5 years since I got my grapple.  Free to anyone, come pick it up.

I-65 near the AL/TN border.

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Bringing the thread back again.  

Free scores today!

Mini trampoline for the kids, garden hose for next years irrigation projects, 3 camp chairs, fireplace tools, 4 gas cans with 2-3 gal of gas total in them and half a gallon of colman fuel.

2/3 I found on FB marketplace and went to get another 1/3 I lucked into driving past it on my way.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#31]
well, if we're bringing this thread back up
I posted in 09 about my Lawn boy for $40...

its 13 years later and that thing is still chugging along
with one carb rebuild about 6 years ago which I did myself..

guess I'm getting my $40 worth
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 8:01:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Annarchy] [#32]
DH brought this home yesterday, sitting next to a dumpster…cleaned up nicely!  Had some gross sticky old soda spilled on it, top & bottom of the glass was splattered, with cat hair & cat food.  Nothing a bit of Lysol didn’t clean up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
well, if we're bringing this thread back up
I posted in 09 about my Lawn boy for $40...

its 13 years later and that thing is still chugging along
with one carb rebuild about 6 years ago which I did myself..

guess I'm getting my $40 worth
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:16:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
Reverse "Found Free" post:

I have a set of 28" LogRite logging tongs, see blue item in pic below.  I haven't used them in +5 years since I got my grapple.  Free to anyone, come pick it up.

I-65 near the AL/TN border.

https://i.imgur.com/L61bcft.jpg
View Quote
Still available!
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm going to miss living in upper middle class suburbia. We get sooo much free stuff here.
Today we are picking up one of those portable basketball goals. The people are too lazy/busy to fill out the form to get a permit from the HOA or try to sell it.
Elderly neighbor has alzheimers. One of her kids and family is moving in with her. They are giving away tons of her stuff. They tried to sell a couple of things on Facebook for way high prices, no bites, so now just give it away. Fine. We're getting an unused bed, a couple of dressers, robot vacuum new in box, kids trampoline like the one in pic above, linens, bedding. Previously we've scored lawnmowers, pressure washers, propane tanks, weed eaters, reloading dies, swords, power tools, yard tools, folding tables, lumber, and tons of stuff for our kids. I think my wife sells enough freebie kid stuff at those consignment sales to pay for most of the kid stuff we do have to buy.
I used to joke that you could furnish a house just living here for a year. We are now trying to do it since we bought some land with a small house on it we want to make into an Airbnb.

Compare that to the Facebook group in the rural town we have the land at. Utter trash, Wal Mart grade furniture, etc. all priced higher than a good store clearance sale.

The almost rich spend all their time working to make money to aquire stuff, then newer version comes out, or they have to move and downsize, and they puke it up for nothing, because they have no time to try to sell it for a proper price. I love it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#36]
My mom clerks for an auction company...she's always on the hunt and scoring big. She knows what things I want, need, and use.

Most notable auction wins in the last 2 years.

Huge lot of canning stuff including and All American canner plus some other things thrown in like an indestructible mailbox (1/4" thick steel) plus adhesive numbers/letters w/receipt I returned to lowes for $21... won it for $56

Lot of LP tanks, six 20-lb and one 30-lb all in good condition, paid $2 each

Huge lot of made in USA hose clamps, various sizes, still in the boxes (probably at least 200 clamps), $2 for all

Lot of pneumatic tools (1/2 impact, die grinder, whole box of air fittings, and a bunch of misc) $5

Lot of fishing poles (nice older Zebco reels) and tackle, $5

36" made in USA pipe wrench, $45

Various smaller USA pipe wrenches, $8

I know there's more but I don't want to bore everyone (or make you jealous).
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Picked up a Teeter inversion table for my brother yesterday; he'd found it on Facebook marketplace for $25.  It looks unused.  While I'm putting the parts in my truck the lady asked me if I need any tools; she'd been selling off her husband's stuff since he passed and was getting ready to move.  I got a Dewalt DW235G and a handful of assorted long Dewalt bits for $20 and a Makita 5" sander for another $20.  I passed on a bunch of other stuff I had no use for including some nice furniture and a large elliptical machine (only because I have no room for it).
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I picked up a reel mower for my postage-stamp sized backyard, and an old wooden dresser that just needed a coat of paint from a retiree that was moving out of on-post housing. For free.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:20:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Went to a local auction for a pawn shop that was closing.  Picked up a Benchmade Griptillian for $2 and a Spyderco Civilian for $50.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Brand new in box "Lifetime" brand basketball goal including post free off Facebook yesterday...
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Not free but I just picked up 130 canning jars for $25 off FB marketplace
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Got At my dump missing battery
Gambled on new battery and it runs great

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Got a short piece of 2 x 8" at the village burn pile.  It's cut into a parallelogram shape but I can cut it in half for bottom supports for new furniture (have to make another bookcase for oversized books).  Also got a 4' x 4' sheet of 3/8" AB plywood.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Has anyone done the US 127 - Longest Yard Sale in America? It runs up US 127 from Alabama to Michigan in early August.

I am thinking of doing parts of it next year. I did see a post in General about a guy getting good equipment for his home butcher shop where he processes his deer and farm animals.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#45]
BTW, better neighborhoods throw out better stuff.  Poor neighborhoods throw out sh*t.  When I was in San Franciscograd, I picked up a wood desk (no particle board) and an oak file cabinet from the curbside.  

<----- No pride.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Riter:
BTW, better neighborhoods throw out better stuff.  Poor neighborhoods throw out sh*t.  When I was in San Franciscograd, I picked up a wood desk (no particle board) and an oak file cabinet from the curbside.  

<----- No pride.
View Quote

Similar experience on-post, especially during PCS season. My wife was bad about it. I would be riding to work and see a table, or a shelf set, or a kid's playset, out by the curb, and think to myself "that's probably going to be in my house/backyard when I get home"... 87% of the time I would be correct in my assessment.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Its yard sale season again!

Went out this morning and got a wool blanket for $3, youth target bow for $4, a partial box of 14 12ga shells for $1.5, and a wide mouth qt jar for .25

Came home and the family of my deceased neighbor was putting a bunch of stuff on the curb. Grabbed 3 propane tanks, yard tools, bow saw, bunch of hardware to sort through, and a water bath canning pot.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top