Link Posted: 2/8/2009 5:59:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#2]
OST and a bump.

Someone should sticky this thread.
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Got my lanterns yesterday. Two W.T. Kirkman #2 "Champion" Cold Blast Lanterns. Built like a tank, nothing like the cheap made lanterns I had been looking at. Have not burnt them yet. But will give an AAR after I do.
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Just giving this a kick to the top.. Lots of good info thanks
I use the cheap walmart lanterns ( 5 bucks) filled with citronella for the out door patio and also cat fishing in the summer months
helps keep the skeeters away
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:

There are different types of oil lights and different types of fuels.

There are lanterns, lamps, torches, round wick, flat wick, and mantle. Fuels there's liquid paraffin, lamp oil, kerosene, and mineral spirits.

Lanterns

In a nutshell what separates lamps from lanterns is the lantern is more rugged, designed to be carried if needed, and more windproof than lamps. Their glass globes are either held in place mechanically From a survival standpoint especially a long-term one where battery consumption is an issue, they have a major advantage over lamps in that they can be used outdoors more effectively.

There are three basic lantern types, Railroad Lantern, Yacht Lamp (really a lantern), and French lantern. All three lantern types depending on what you buy can be quite decorative for home use especially the Yacht Lamp and French Lantern. The Yacht lamps are typically designed for the most fuel efficiency but both French and Yacht can also have wall mounts which is not only handy but looks quite decorative in the home.

Hurricane Lantern

http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50075267/Hurricane_Lantern.jpg

Yacht Lamp

http://www.robinsdocksideshop.com/Yacht_Lamp_BL855G.jpg

French Lantern

http://images.lampsplus.com/images/F8785.fpx?cell=330,330&qlt=75&cvt=jpeg

These are the most typical configurations but there are dozens of others. The four sided hanging electric lights you see on poles in peoples yards is another example of French Lantern. Yacht lamps can be much larger with even a round globe going from round wick to flat wick. Railroad style, can also be very decorate. I like the black trimmed in brass myself.

The basic works of a Lantern is really quite simple and drawing lines on who makes the best can be quite difficult. Like buying a tent if you watch the features, even cheap lantern can last you a lifetime. I personally avoid the chrome plated or brass inexpensive ones. Depending on what fuel you use, typically the lighter ones like liquid paraffin or mineral oil, they will leak unless noted on the bottom for that fuel. The painted models hold up much better. All the yacht lamps and most of the French lanterns with flat hats as pictured are designed for the thinner fuels. There's a reason for that, they are intended for indoor use and/or confined spaces like on a boat where fumes are really not desirable.

By far the best lanterns available (going to be a trend here in this thread) are antique American made. They are built like a tank. These can be found reasonably priced enough at yard sales, flea markets, and for more money in antique stores. Of the railroad type lanterns and new, the top of the line is Dietz. Dietz is made overseas but to have the same interchangeable parts as the Dietz antiques but there is a definite quality difference. Of the yacht lamps, my pick is Weems and Plath. They simply have a solid reputation for quality and a favorite of boaters. Of the French styles, I don't have a preference but will mention these can be quite expensive the more decorative you go.

Lamps

What separates lamps from lanterns for the most part is metal vs glass with the lamps being predominate glass. There are two basic types of lanterns flat wick and mantle.

The flat wick is a very durable method that the wick infrequently used will last a lifetime. Its limitation is the more light you want the bigger the wick so the bigger the lamp to handle the flame size. The mantle types are designed to put out maximum light by maximizing the capillary wicking effect. They are tremendous lights but you give up a lot of reliability to how they are used, the fuel used, and how delicate the wick is.

Flat wick (metal without globe)

http://www.bobsvarietystore.com/Oil_Lamp_br15351.jpg

Mantle type (metal without globe)

http://outdoors-magazine.com/local/cache-vignettes/L450xH600/arton174-b1640.jpg

I choosing a lamp, you have the same concerns in metal as the Lantern, however most lamps are glass so even cheap ones will last a lifetime. Where you really get into the money is making them decorative. Colored glass bottoms and adding decorate globes is an amazing price adder.

Since I do not use these day in or day out, my preference once again is as my ancestors a flat wick design. By far the best out there are the antique Alladins, hands down. The flat wick puts out good enough light. I don't need to try to simulate an electric lightbulb. Their fuel consumption rate if good and the wicks can be had from more one source by simply matching up the size. You can even share wick sizes with railroad lanterns.

Of the current production flat wick lantern, I'm afraid they about all are imported, however Leman's like Dietz carries a line of lanterns that are designed around the original antique lamps of old from companies like Consolidated etc. Still I have some cheap glass ones too and can't knock their functionality. The antique copies are simply way more decorative.

If maximum output is your thing then the only way to go is the mantle and the brand is Aladdin. I don't recommend these for the emergency only users since they are not as user friendly, expensive, use more fuel, and one should probably stock up on the wicks. Still they put out an amazing light amount. These are very popular with Alladins target market the Amish who do not use electric lights and want to match their intensity as closely as possible. These people use these lamps daily and have it down to an art.

In all of the lamp types and brands, let me stress, you pay money for how decorative they are. That is simply the market. They can all be fitted/sized for hardware and globes. Those globes can cost way more than the lamp especially the colored glass or hand painted ones. You can save a lot of money here by shopping around enough to buy another lamp.

Fuel Types

All of the non-pressurized lanterns and lamps operate on the same principle of capillary action. The fuel is brought up from the tank by capillary action (wicking) through the wick, the flame heats the fuel to a gas, then the gas is burned as a flame. Needless to say if you follow this, the wicks are designed for a give capillary action depending on the fluids specific gravity (how heavy it is).

In general the lighter fuels have less smell, soot, and noxious fumes. The best of course is liquid paraffin which burns which is just a low temp wax. Because both liquid paraffin and mineral oil are so light, you basically can not use them in any lamp/lantern with a flat wick size of over 7/8's of an inch width and maximize the output of the light without experiencing some flame flicker which adds to the soot and smell. Still that being said, 7/8s wick is one big ass light. The usual size is about 5/8s.

Lamp oil is simply liquid paraffin add in some kerosene to get the specific gravity up. This gives you a cleaner burn than pure kerosene but not as clean as liquid paraffin. The goal here is emulate kerosene's capillary action as close as possible while limiting the fumes and soot. Since mantle lamps use so much fuel so fast they are highly dependent on the capillary action of the wick system to work properly. It is this type lamp oil is recommended and with Aladin specifically their lamp oil.

Although most lanterns and lamps are designed around kerosene (mantle type the exception), I'm afraid its only advantage is cost. It smells the most and puts out soot the most. Still if you can live with that it burns nice and even assuming its good quality kerosene. The advantage here from a survival standpoint is if you are using kerosene as your backup heating method, then you have extra fuel for your lamps.

All of these fuels have an almost indefinite storage life, however the plastic containers do not. They yellow and become brittle and the least bump your fuel will spill. It takes a little looking but I highly recommend the old style painted or galvanized lamp oil cans for storage. You can tell these because they have a screw type large center lid and a small spout for filling smaller dispensers or use with a funnel. I have two of these one small half gallon that the spout is small enough to fill the lamps/lanterns and one larger 2 gallon to fill the first one. The larger is brand new but I had to go antique to get the smaller one.

I personally keep liquid paraffin, lamp oil, and since I use kerosene for my backup heat have 40 gallons of that. If I have my druthers, I'd rather use liquid paraffin hands down to any other fuel. Its simply that much better on fumes and soot.

Oh well, I hope you all find this useful. I'll leave maintenance things like wick cleaning and trimming for another post. This ones pretty long.

TJ

thanks TJ for this great write-up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag for reference.

Auxiliary lighting on the short list.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#8]
BTT, and does anyone know where to buy the cheapo $5 lanterns now that Wal-Mart doesn't sell them?
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 3:12:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Bump for Blackoperations' inquiry.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Lots of good info.
5sub
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 4:42:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Quarterbore] [#11]
I am still trying to decide what to buy for a couple better quality kerosene lanterns and had to search this thead out again so I figured I would give it a bounce.

I was at Wal-Mart a couple times the past few weeks and I noticed that none of my local Wal-Marts have lamp oil anymore?  I also didn't see the glass lamp oil lights they used to sell too.  I was looking as we had a power outage and one of our bottles was about half full so I was going to buy another.  We have what should be a lifetime supply of the lamp oil anyways for ordinary power outages but still kinda shocking it was gone so I am going to move forward with the plan to buy a couple better Kerosene lanterns.  NOTE - Lamp Oil is not intended for Lanterns see: (Corrected below)

http://www.lanternnet.com/faqs.htm#FUEL

Right now all I have is a pair of the Ozark Trail (Chinese) Kerosene lanterns from Wal-Mart as well as a much older "Camping American" lantern that is likely the same as the Ozark models just older as we have had that so long I don't remember where I got it anymore.  None of these have ever been used so I don't know if they would leak...  Yea I know, I am trusting my preps will work without trying them

I was considering the cooker model but some of the reviews I read indicated it was really only capable of warming soup and not really warn enough to make tea so I think I am going to simply go for a bigger lantern to try to get more light

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Lamps___Lights___Lanterns___Dietz____90_D_Lite___3790?Args=#

Before I buy, and I am planning to buy two or three (This is ARFCOM where two is one right) and I am curious if there are any advantages to the red globes?  I plan to buy a couple packs of wicks and at least one spare globe and perhaps spare burners too (cheap insurance is my thought).

If I buy three, I will break one out and give it a try but the other two will get packed up new and unused with our preps.  Then I will dig out the cheaper Wal-Mart" lanterns and try them too to see if I had myself set up for disapointment in an emergency.  

I do also have a Coleman duel mantle white-gas lantern that we normally use when camping so upto now that would have been my primary lantern.  The problem with these is obviously the delicate mantles once they have been used.  They also would use the fuel that I would otherwise like to save for our camp stove for cooling.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 8:55:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HistoryGradStudent] [#12]
I have heard that mantels in the Allidan lamps ( not the wicks, but the mantels) have thorium in them... a radioactive compound which is a Bone seaker! I understand that Coleman did away with the use of thorium a little while ago, but the last I heard was that Allidan and some over seas makers were still using the radioactive compound.....be careful with the dust or ash from a broken mantel
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 2:49:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dangus] [#13]
Originally Posted By Quarterbore: NOTE - Lamp Oil is not intended for Lanterns see:

I use Medallion Lamp Oil per the FAQ you linked to.  It's stocked at my local Wally Worlds.

QUESTION 3:   What type of fuel can I use in a tubular lantern?
ANSWER:  The approved fuels for Tubular Lanterns are:  
1.  Non-Dyed (Clear) Kerosene (Also known as clear K-1 or clear 1-K)
2.  Clear-Lite Synthetic Kerosene (No longer being manufactured and has been replaced by Klean-Heat Kerosene Substitute.)  
3.  W.M. Barr & Co. Klean-Heat Kerosene Substitute (#GKKH99991-Gallon)
4.  Standard Clear Lamp Oil (Lamplight Farms Clear Medallion Lamp Oil, #6300, #6400, and #6700 Only )
5.  Genuine Aladdin Lamp Oil (#17552)
6.  Citronella Oil (Outdoor use only, cut 50:50 with kerosene to extend wick life.)  
(Use Klean-Heat, Standard Clear Lamp Oil, or Genuine Aladdin Lamp Oil for odor free use indoors.)

ETA:  It's the paraffin stuff you need to stay away from.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bulldawg:
Originally Posted By Quarterbore: NOTE - Lamp Oil is not intended for Lanterns see:

I use Medallion Lamp Oil per the FAQ you linked to.  It's stocked at my local Wally Worlds.

2.  Clear-Lite Synthetic Kerosene (No longer being manufactured and has been replaced by Klean-Heat Kerosene Substitute.)  
4.  Standard Clear Lamp Oil (Lamplight Farms Clear Medallion Lamp Oil, #6300, #6400, and #6700 Only )
6.  Citronella Oil (Outdoor use only, cut 50:50 with kerosene to extend wick life.)  
(Use Klean-Heat, Standard Clear Lamp Oil, or Genuine Aladdin Lamp Oil for odor free use indoors.)

When you are at Wal-Mart again, can you see if they still have it where you are at...  Mine does not have it anymore (no kidding)!  No oil lamps or the Lamp Oil.  I need to try target as while I don't use my lanterns our oil lamps are always used when the power goes out and we have about 2.5 bottles of it on hand but now that I can't find it it makes me crave doubling that amount
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 3:52:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Quarterbore:
Originally Posted By Bulldawg:

When you are at Wal-Mart again, can you see if they still have it where you are at...  Mine does not have it anymore (no kidding)!  No oil lamps or the Lamp Oil.  I need to try target as while I don't use my lanterns our oil lamps are always used when the power goes out and we have about 2.5 bottles of it on hand but now that I can't find it it makes me crave doubling that amount
My local Walmart (in WV) has a big fresh endcap full of the Medallion lamp oil.  I forget what the price was though.  I bought two of the big bottles there a couple of months ago.  Last night I also bought one of the cheapo $4.88 lanterns (red enamel) and filled it up to see if it leaks.  It seemed to work ok, and I guess I'll know if it leaks when I get back.  I left it fiiled up sitting in a bowl to check when I get home in the morning.  I also bought a pack of extra wicks.

Link Posted: 9/3/2009 7:18:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Quarterbore] [#17]
Thanks, I will keep looking then and I will also try my local Target.  As for the leaky Chinese Lanterns, I was studying the dietz lamps and found this page which should apply to chinese lanterns too:

http://www.lanternnet.com/faqs.htm#SEAL

QUESTION 9:   How do I stop a tubular lantern from leaking from the tank?

(NOTE:  Take all safety precautions, use gloves, safety glasses, etc.)

ANSWER:  Remove the burner and fuel cap, and empty the oil completely.  Drop a 1' piece of "Sash" chain into the tank and pour in one cup of white vinegar.  Swish the vinegar and chain around to knock down the heaviest rust or crud.  Drain the tank, and allow to dry in the sun, or use a blow dryer on low to completely evaporate all of the vinegar.   Remove the chain and make sure that there is nothing left in the tank like a piece of wick.  If there are visible holes in the tank, use masking tape to cover them.   Put on a pair of disposable gloves, then use a funnel to carefully pour into the tank enough U.S. Standard "POR-15" Gas Tank Sealer to coat the entire inside.  Rotate the lantern to thouroughly coat both the bottom and sides of the inside of the tank.  If you get any on the fuel spout or burner cup be sure to clean it off.  After the sealer cures in a few days, another coat of sealer can be added if the condition of the tank warrants it.  Let the lantern cure for one week, remove the masking tape and put the lantern back into service.  This method of re-sealing will usually last the life of the lantern.
Copyright © 1997 - 2008   W.T. Kirkman  All Rights Reserved

The tank sealer is not too expensive but a pint will cost as much as several lanterns

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_FUEL_TANK_SEALER.cfm
POR-15 TSQ, Fuel Tank Sealer, 1 U.S. Quart
U.S. STANDARD FUEL TANK SEALER was formulated and developed by the POR-15 laboratories due to the demand for a high-tech sealer impervious to all fuels, including the new Stage II High Performance Fuels which have a high alcohol content. U.S. STANDARD FUEL TANK SEALER has superior strength and fuel resistance, and does not contain Methyl Ethyl Ketone, a highly flammable and deadly carcinogen (cancer-causing). U.S. STANDARD FUEL TANK SEALER is non-flammable and is environmentally safe.

U.S. Standard Fuel Tank Sealer Features:

* Resistant to all fuels, alcohol, additives & solvents.
   * Stops rust, corrosion & leaks permanently.
   * Seals pinholes & seams POR-15 TOUGH!
   * Chemically bonds to metal surfaces (even rusted).
   * Permanently flexible.
   * Light gray color for easier viewing inside the tank.
   * Available in quarts (capable of sealing a 25 gallon tank).
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 9:23:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Quarterbore] [#18]
I was still looking for Lamp Oil locally and this time I searched out one of the people at Wal-Mart stocking shelves and they verified that Wal-Mart (at least that store and I assume it is the case with the other four I checked as there was no place on the shelves for oil lamps or the oil) has stopped carying lamp oil.  Just a heads up to those that may still be able to get lamp oil at your local Wal-Mart as I hit up two Wal-Marts in the middle of Amish country assuming if anybody would have it they would but no luck at all!

I ended up ordering a pair of 64-oz bottles Medallion Lamp Oil by Lamplight Farms when I purchased a set of new and better lanterns to go with my preps.  I posted about the lamps I decided to buy in another thread but I will repost here as this looks to be the main thread on lanterns and lamps...

Reposted from:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=625776

I finally decided to finally buy a couple good lanterns to go with the four "cheap" Wal-Mart" lanterns I already have.  I spent a lot of time looking and I decided to go with three of the Dietz #8 Air Pilot Cold Blast Lanterns.  I got three that were Black/Brass finish and I bought a 33 foot roll of 7/8 wick to go with them.

Specifications
•13 1/2" Height, 7 3/4" Base Diameter
•Average 14 Candle Power, 7/8" Wick
•31 oz. Fount Capacity, 27 Hour Burning Time
•Apprx. Thermal Output: 1400 BTU per Hour
•Operates on Average at 6 Cents per Hour worth of lamp Oil
•Wicked and ready to add oil

I also purchased one of these W.T. Kirkman No 2 Warming Plates that work with this lantern:

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WKL&Product_Code=WTK2WP

My objective was to find the brightest lantern I could find with the longest run time.  From there, the next priority was size.  I also tried to stick to lanterns that were cheap enough that I could buy a couple.  There were a couple others that had similar output

I didn't buy spare globes or burners because when I looked at the prices it was almost cheaper to buy another lantern then to buy the globe, burner and wick.  So, I decided to buy three (two is one, three is two right?).  I plan to put one into use when I get it and the other two will get hung on each side of the wall over the fireplace as a decoration that would get put into service when needed.

Anyways, I spent about $110 with shipping for the three lanterns, 33' or wick, and the warmer with shipping.  Hopefully I chose wisely but time will tell I guess.

Next on my list is a couple oil lamps and I think my wife would like a nice set for Christmas (duel purpose preps and gifts is always a good thing ).  The only oil lamp we have right now is one glass Wal-Mart unit that as TJ said is just plain.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I was still looking for Lamp Oil locally and this time I searched out one of the people at Wal-Mart stocking shelves and they verified that Wal-Mart (at least that store and I assume it is the case with the other four I checked as there was no place on the shelves for oil lamps or the oil) has stopped carying lamp oil.  Just a heads up to those that may still be able to get lamp oil at your local Wal-Mart as I hit up two Wal-Marts in the middle of Amish country assuming if anybody would have it they would but no luck at all!

Just checked two of my local ChinaMarts...  Both gone.  They've got the cheap lanterns in the camping section, but no more oil lamps or lamp oil.  Plenty of friggin' Virgin Mary de Guadalupe candles, though...

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quick update, I got my packahe from Kirkman and I got my three Dietz lanterns.  Unfortinately, UPS must have been rough with the box as one of the three lanterns has a broken globe so I have a call to Kirkman to see how we proceed with filing a claim with UPS to get them to pay for a replacement globe.  The lanterns were packed well with cardboard and bubble wrap and lots of crushed paper but the box had an obvious dent so I assume they dropped it or something fell on it.

I also don't think I anticipated just how huge a roll of 33 FEET of wick is!  The roll is darn near the size of a small dinner plate so I am quite sure I have a lifetime supply of wick

The lanterns are VERY NICE and I was supprised at how large they are.  They are about 2-3 times larger in diameter then the cheap "wal-mart" lanterns I had been keeping for emergencies and they are considerably taller too.  I will post photos when I get a chance but darn too few hours in my day right now.

I also played with the warming plate and it clips on the top of the lantern easily and the huge base of these lanterns would make this very stable.  It is also well made and looks like it would work as advertised so  I plan to buy two more of those with my next order so that I have one for each lantern in case of an emergency.

Finally, I do have a question about Medallion Lamp Oil and the Ultrapure Medallion Lamp Oil.  I note that the Ultrapure line says that it is parafin wax while the regular Medallion Lamp Oil does not say anything about parafin.  I also note in the literature with the lantern that it clearly says not to use parafin based lamp oils.  So, I assume the Medallion Lamp Oil is a kerosine replacement product and it is fine with these big wicks but the Ultrapure line is parafin and should not be used?

One more note, as I posted above I have not been able to find Lamp Oil at Wal-mart anymore BUT I discovered that K-mart has it and they also have cheap oil lamps and lanterns.  The lamps look very similar to what Wal-Mart used to carry as I bought two more lamps and while the glass bottom is a little different the box and glass chimney look to be the same.  I also put away more lamp oil so now I have a lifetime supply of lanterns, wicks, and lamp oil.  

Also, the lamps I bought from K-mart have the larger 7/8 wick while I noted that the small lantern they have uses a smaller 3/8 looking wick.  I already have one of those smaller lanterns and I use that with the Ultra pure parafin lamp oil with good luck.  I just used that before I really found this thread or studied the differences.

Anyways, the lanterns are really awsome and I hope to trim up the wick and give one a test run this weeknd.  These are easily worth the $18 or so they cost as now I have a portable heater, light source, and food warmer that I can always fuel with Kerosene when I run out of 3-4 gallons of Medallion oil I have stacked away with my preps.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Originally Posted By Forest:
Originally Posted By 2Evil4U:
DEITZ lamps.

This.

I bought 2 years ago.  They work with Kerosene or lamp oil (which can be nice).

The smaller wick ones work great with liquid parafin as well.  

The Dietz Black original
http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/20blackbrs.jpg

This is one of my favorites.  Its a nice size with a good light but still attractive enough for display in the home.

I have the Jupiter which is monster one best suited for lamp oil or kerosene which I use just for outdoors.  Man, that thing is a tank and puts out some light.

This is my latest buy, the Milenium 2000.

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/2000Cooker.jpg

This is a version that can be used either as a standard lamp or as a light cooker.  It is based on an old railroad design popular in the mid 20th peak railroad days by railroad men who like the northern factory workers who heated their pizza on steam wall heaters, heated their lunches over their lanterns.  

You know guys.  We often think how well we have it these days but when you see stuff like this, I don't know about you all but it reminds me of all the damn cold sandwiches I have eaten day in and day out doing jobs away from kitchens and restaurants.  Let's see, cold winter day, cold baloney or hot beef stew?  These old guys were pretty darn sharp in my book.

Tj

Some of those old guys used to toss sticks of dynamite in the Animas river while the locomotive was taking on water, scoop up the trout that floated up to the surface, and give them to the chef on the dining car.

Others would plant the coal shovel in the locomotive's firebox till it went red hot, then slide it out and heat their lunch or dinner up on it.

Pretty darn sharp.

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Great thread ... deserves a btt.

Link Posted: 3/21/2010 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quick update, I got my packahe from Kirkman and I got my three Dietz lanterns.  Unfortinately, UPS must have been rough with the box as one of the three lanterns has a broken globe so I have a call to Kirkman to see how we proceed with filing a claim with UPS to get them to pay for a replacement globe.  The lanterns were packed well with cardboard and bubble wrap and lots of crushed paper but the box had an obvious dent so I assume they dropped it or something fell on it.

I also don't think I anticipated just how huge a roll of 33 FEET of wick is!  The roll is darn near the size of a small dinner plate so I am quite sure I have a lifetime supply of wick

The lanterns are VERY NICE and I was supprised at how large they are.  They are about 2-3 times larger in diameter then the cheap "wal-mart" lanterns I had been keeping for emergencies and they are considerably taller too.  I will post photos when I get a chance but darn too few hours in my day right now.

I also played with the warming plate and it clips on the top of the lantern easily and the huge base of these lanterns would make this very stable.  It is also well made and looks like it would work as advertised so  I plan to buy two more of those with my next order so that I have one for each lantern in case of an emergency.

Finally, I do have a question about Medallion Lamp Oil and the Ultrapure Medallion Lamp Oil.  I note that the Ultrapure line says that it is parafin wax while the regular Medallion Lamp Oil does not say anything about parafin.  I also note in the literature with the lantern that it clearly says not to use parafin based lamp oils.  So, I assume the Medallion Lamp Oil is a kerosine replacement product and it is fine with these big wicks but the Ultrapure line is parafin and should not be used?

One more note, as I posted above I have not been able to find Lamp Oil at Wal-mart anymore BUT I discovered that K-mart has it and they also have cheap oil lamps and lanterns.  The lamps look very similar to what Wal-Mart used to carry as I bought two more lamps and while the glass bottom is a little different the box and glass chimney look to be the same.  I also put away more lamp oil so now I have a lifetime supply of lanterns, wicks, and lamp oil.  

Also, the lamps I bought from K-mart have the larger 7/8 wick while I noted that the small lantern they have uses a smaller 3/8 looking wick.  I already have one of those smaller lanterns and I use that with the Ultra pure parafin lamp oil with good luck.  I just used that before I really found this thread or studied the differences.

Anyways, the lanterns are really awsome and I hope to trim up the wick and give one a test run this weeknd.  These are easily worth the $18 or so they cost as now I have a portable heater, light source, and food warmer that I can always fuel with Kerosene when I run out of 3-4 gallons of Medallion oil I have stacked away with my preps.

You are correct, the ultra pure wont work in the big wick.......My wayy world dropped medalion and carries only another brand of parafin and lamps that wont burn it.....that company is really going to crap.......found medalion at a true value near me
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Awesome thread!!!!! Thanks so much for the info.  We are looking into getting a few and this thread will certainly help out!  

Link Posted: 4/5/2011 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice thread
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#27]
nice bump noob
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I need to bump this because it's beyond the 30 day search peramiter. I need to review the info in it later.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 4:16:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AASG] [#30]
I read through this whole thread and I'm still confused. Here is my question that I post elsewhere before:
I have an assortment of lamps/lanterns around the house for use when the power gos out. Some are Dietz or look like dietz railroad lanterns, like the chinese ones Sportsmansguide has sold over the years. Others are from Lamp Light Farms. www.lamplightfarms.com So I was going through some things in the barn and found a NIB lantern from lamplightfarms, the box says not to use gasoline, alchohaul, ect, but does not specifically say not to use Kerosene, but does say to only use lamp oil. Anyways I e mailed lamplightfarms and got a phone call this morning the woman told me ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE KEROSENE IN ANY OF THERE LAMPS/LANTERNS!!! She said only use kerosene in lanterns that say they are for kerosene. It kinda scares me because I know I've bought kerosene over the years and now I need to drain everything to make sure I have the right stuff in it.

On the other hand I found info on Dietz lanterns saying NOT to use parafin based oil (the stuff lamplight farms sells), it will ruin the wick. So I'll have to use kerosene in those.

The whole thing kinda worries me and I'm wundering what other info "experts" may have about this? The lady from lamp light farms made it sound VERY dangerious and I tried to warn her that it really wasn't clear on their packaging. She said kerosene is the same as gasoline and I tried to tell her it's not and she said she can't get into the specifics but there is a fire hazard using kerosene. So I kinda wanted to warn others if you didn't already know. It's kinda crazy to me, the mechanisms look the same to me, between a Dietz and the kind lamp light sells.

HOW DANGERIOUS is it to have kerosene in this style of lamp? The lady from lamplight farms kinda lost my respect after she said "kerosene is the same as gasoline"

ETA I just filled the above lamp with kerosene (Klean-Strip K1) and sat it in the middle of a dirt lot and ran it for 45 minutes at the highest flame without smoking and it didn't blow up. I stood right over it and couldn't smell any foul smells or anything. It has a 7/8" flat wick, BTW. They recomend parafin on the box
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:47:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TomJefferson] [#31]
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Flat?
Can you tell from the weave what it is designed for?

I find the whole thing weird. I've always refered to these as "kerosene lanterns", we've had them around since I was a little kid. I e mailed Lamplight Farms just out of curiousity and she told me "You cannot burn kerosene in our lamplight farms lanterns"!! I quized her and she said "yes, there is a risk of fire if you use kerosene;we don't want anybody getting hurt". Well, I had just bought a gallon of K1. I'm wundering if it's just a tactic to sell their oil?
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:53:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#33]
Here's a link to Miles Stairs who claims to know a lot abt this subject.

He mentions low odor mineral spirits from True Value and gives an item number and price of about $5.50/gallon.

I called T-V and the price for the same item number is now over $10.

http://www.milesstair.com/kero_fuel_primer.html

There is a LOT of info on his site!

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:54:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#34]
Originally Posted By AASG:
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc390/harleypics69/P1020771.jpg
Flat?
Can you tell from the weave what it is designed for?
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc390/harleypics69/P1020772.jpg
I find the whole thing weird. I've always refered to these as "kerosene lanterns", we've had them around since I was a little kid. I e mailed Lamplight Farms just out of curiousity and she told me "You cannot burn kerosene in our lamplight farms lanterns"!! I quized her and she said "yes, there is a risk of fire if you use kerosene;we don't want anybody getting hurt". Well, I had just bought a gallon of K1. I'm wundering if it's just a tactic to sell their oil?

Bingo!

As is clearly shown every day, the Sheeple will believe just about ANYTHING thanks to the constant brainwashing they are exposed to.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Kero is as safe as liquid paraffin. She is either brainwashing customers or a nutcase. Either way I would listen to TJ or the link provided above.
As for a good source of kerosene, call your local airport. The closest one to me had jet-a fuel for $4.40 per gallon. Jet-a is highly refined kero. It has a blue Dye in it. I don't know if it is hard on the wicks, but it can't be worse than red dye IMHO.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 11:20:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#36]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
Kero is as safe as liquid paraffin. She is either brainwashing customers or a nutcase. Either way I would listen to TJ or the link provided above.
As for a good source of kerosene, call your local airport. The closest one to me had jet-a fuel for $4.40 per gallon. Jet-a is highly refined kero. It has a blue Dye in it. I don't know if it is hard on the wicks, but it can't be worse than red dye IMHO.

Problem is our masters won't allow jet fuel to be dispensed unless you roll up in your kero burner, and I ain't takin abt ur truck.

Try your bulk fuel supplier.

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 1:59:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Great topic!

I just bought an old LAMP LIGHT FARMS glass lamp today at a thrift shop for $3.99 and this topic was just what I needed to get started on my first oil lamp.

I don't shop online much, as I almost exclusively just use cash and buy locally. Any idea where (what type of places) LOCALLY I could get extra globes? None at Wal-Mart.

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Has anyone tried thicker oils like vegetable oil? Is it too viscous to climb the wick?

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#40]

I recall reading some stuff where that k-1 kleen whatever stuff was not like the kerosene from the fuel pumps.

I know from past threads here that some of the stuff you buy that says lamp oil is not the same as what another company sells as lamp oil.

I have a place I can buy kerosene from the pump, still need to get some this year and see if it is still clear or not.

In the past I have bought the 5 gallon cans of kerosene when they were cheaper.

These days I tend to buy some of the more expensive lamp oil products because I trust them.

I forget who got some of the stuff walmart is currently carrying and said it pretty much sucked as lamp oil.  I forget if it smoked more than it should or what but basically there was something off with it and it should have worked with zero issues.

I will also be buying a lot of kerosene this fall and using up some I have had stored for a few years, got some better ways to store it so I need to get it out of the current cans and decide if they are worth reusing or just project fodder.

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By biere:
I recall reading some stuff where that k-1 kleen whatever stuff was not like the kerosene from the fuel pumps.I know from past threads here that some of the stuff you buy that says lamp oil is not the same as what another company sells as lamp oil.

I have a place I can buy kerosene from the pump, still need to get some this year and see if it is still clear or not.

These days I tend to buy some of the more expensive lamp oil products because I trust them.

I forget who got some of the stuff walmart is currently carrying and said it pretty much sucked as lamp oil.  I forget if it smoked more than it should or what but basically there was something off with it and it should have worked with zero issues.

I will also be buying a lot of kerosene this fall and using up some I have had stored for a few years, got some better ways to store it so I need to get it out of the current cans and decide if they are worth reusing or just project fodder.

Anyone know about that?
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
Has anyone tried thicker oils like vegetable oil? Is it too viscous to climb the wick?

Yes. Lehman's has some olive oil lamps, but the regular Aladdin lamps and such need things like kerosene, etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#43]
The Walmart $5.88 lamps are great, but if you break a globe you can't fix it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Bump for a great thread.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 10:22:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Quarterbore] [#46]
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#47]

Explain that it is for your model jet plane.  Google it enough to talk about it.  

PROTIP:   Do not have two bags of fertilizer in your car while going to the airport (along with yard tools and a spreader) while going to the airport to buy fuel.   One of my friends had some explaining to do while getting fuel for his float plane that was tied up at a dock a few miles away.   Then again we did have about ten gas cans that we were filling up.   The look on the fueler face when he saw the fertilizer was priceless.

Link Posted: 12/5/2012 2:10:51 AM EDT
[#48]
With Hurican Sandy last month we had lost power for just a day - well we actually lost power several days after the storm but we think they pulled part of the grid down to fix something.  Anyways, it was a chily evening when we got home and I took out three of the Dietz Air Pilots out of my preps and put them to use.  My kids did homework to the lanterns and it gave us plenty of light to prepare dinner, eat, and then we spent some family time paying games.

I mixed Lamplight lamp oil in an approximate 2:1 ratio with Kerosene as I had my doubts on just what to use with the 7/8 flat wick.  It worked well and the house didn't smell of Kerosene as bad as if I would have used straight Kerosene (I did that once before).  We also dug out a couple oil lamps for the bathroom, etc but about the time I was ready to go did out the generator and start it up the power came back on..  Our power was only off for about 6hrs but it was getting to bed time so I was going to start the generator to rechill the frig and freezer when the power came back on.

I am thinking about a weekend without power drill with the family but seriously my family wouldn't like it much!  Still, I love my Dietz Air Pilots and it was the only time I really got to try them due to no power.  They gave lots of heat plus plenty of light.  We only used perhaps a cup of fuel with two lanterns going too

this can be a real eye-opener...talk them into it
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By biere:
I recall reading some stuff where that k-1 kleen whatever stuff was not like the kerosene from the fuel pumps.

I know from past threads here that some of the stuff you buy that says lamp oil is not the same as what another company sells as lamp oil.

Klean heat from home depot. I had some bad florasense oil a couple years back too. You have a good memory!
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 3:34:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Variable556] [#50]
Thought I posted this yesterday, but I guess an electron just doesn't go as far these days.

Lehman's has their Dietz Blizzards on sale this month for $9.95...

https://www.lehmans.com/p-178-dietz-blizzard-hurricane-oil-lantern.aspx?utm_source=Bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_content=12dec_MOM&utm_campaign=Light+up+your+December+with+this+Markdown
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top