Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Previous Page
/ 50
Next Page
5/18/2008 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Finished cleaning up the workshop.

Went to teh grocery today and while shopping dropped in the usual week's offhand items like more beans, rice and tuna.

Vacuum sealed 20lbs of good coffee. The world may end, but my little piece of it will be bearable if there is enough caffeine.
5/18/2008 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Hoed garden, dug foundation for the storm shelter, helped neighbor with his chicken coop.
Militant RN and DAV 91E2CX2
5/19/2008 1:40:03 AM EDT
[#3]
We cleaned up the attic, which let us move a bunch of stuff around. Now all the long term food it packed away under the stair case in a semi-hidden area. That helped free up space in the pantry so we can hit the salvage stores and get some more canned goods.

Also invested in some low cost reloading supplies.

Mike
5/19/2008 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Me, the Wife and the kids learned how to do home canning Yesterday. We picked Strawberries and canned them using the water canning method. MIL was a great resource. She had not done this since the 1940s. She also mentioned that more and more, current events make her feel like its 1939 all over again.
5/19/2008 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#5]
picked up a RRA  Lar 8    308...

sling for my 590...mossy.....

5/19/2008 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
ordered 22 conversion other odds and ends from ctd and 80 worth of food from the lds
If John Moses Browning were alive today he would carry a glock
If E. Stoner thought a piston was better for the ar15 he would have designed it that way
5/19/2008 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Set my storm shelter see my post.

Linky
Militant RN and DAV 91E2CX2
5/19/2008 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I planted cucumbers, broccoli, broccoli raab, cabbage, onions, kale, cauliflower, and more peas.

5/19/2008 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#9]
My oldest son (10) and I picked up a couple of cheapy engineer compasses. I will teach him a few map reading skills.

Worked on building my network of trusted persons for difficult times.

Have on order, hook, 7 alice packs with frames, one for each family member.

StagPower
5/20/2008 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#10]
On Saturday I bought tomatos and red peppers to plant in my garden when it warms up later this week.  I planted green beans in starter pots.  I also went to garge sales and bought a bunch of canning jars for dirt cheap (.05 each).

Sunday, I bought a ruger 10/22 deluxe model, and a sling.  I then went target shooting.  have to test more kinds of bulk ammo to see what it likes.  Didnt like Federal bulk, Stovepipes like crazy.  It likes mini-mags though.

Monday, I Bought another clip for the ruger, brick of remnington gold, 325 Federal automatch, 200 minimags, brick of winchester experts, and a small box of thuderbolts.  This week end I will find out what it likes.
5/20/2008 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#11]
tilled garden bought powder for reloader 24 lbs AA2230
5/20/2008 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Added 10 more Mags to my supply.
5/20/2008 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Picked up another .mil poncho (desert cammo) for the price of $19.99 ,. all others on the rack were $29.99.....
I'm not always right , but I'm not really wrong either!!!
How do you like me now???
"May God have mercy on my enemy , because I won't" G.S.Patton
5/20/2008 8:48:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SouthHoof][Edited] [#14]
Added another 10lbs of rice to the pantry.  For the record, the shelves at Walmart were fully stocked.

I also added another box of CLIF bars to the BOB.
5/20/2008 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Finished cleaning and rinsing a Vittles Vault "pet food container", put the dessicant for it and some other boxes in the oven to dry out again, and planned more of a ham radio box (just the box).

Picked up a gas shut-off wrench, now sitting next to the gas meter outside so it'll be where I need it to be if I need it.

Next on the list: get rice for the Vittles Vault.
5/20/2008 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#16]
bought a new Camelbak Alpine Hydration Pack for $41 from Steep and Cheap.  

Bought the Square Foot Gardening book. Plan on putting up a few planters at Mom's house, some for us.
My other car is a truck, too.
5/21/2008 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#17]
1. Set up irrigation measures for the garden.

2. Trimmed some trees to shed more sunlight on said garden and provide more fire wood for the cold winters up here.
5/21/2008 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Fixed my vacuum sealer and broke down and vacuum packed a 50# bag of corn meal into 5# bags and a four gallon bucket. Put 50# of buckwheat flour in sealed buckets.
5/21/2008 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Just picked up some cans of corn, chicken and spam.
5/21/2008 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#20]
another 40# rice, 20# beans, three cases of veggies, two cases of canned fruit, more split peas, dry limas, pasta, coffee, peanut butter, two new chains for the saw, gas mix,

Need to order mylar and o2 obsobers soon, I have a dozen buckets ready to be filled, need to work on my compost pile next
There's a certain feeling of freedom hitting the open road with one's nether regions exposed to the air.
... Ginger


Some of your closest friends are those that are the farthest away
5/22/2008 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Managed to repair my non-functioning SUB2000 carbine without taking it to a smith. I'm pretty happy about this.
5/22/2008 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#22]
More rice, more beans from Wally World.

Wife bitched that I have too much, ignored her.

"Evolution is a lie, you know it's a lie, and you need to repent of it, and stop forcing it down people's throats. It's condemnable to teach this soul-destorying filth to kids." - arowneragain

DNC 2008: BURN, DENVER BURN!!!
5/22/2008 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Reviewing miltary survival manuals, met with core network and discussed comms and networking with local law-enforcement, preping for HAM license, going to buy extra batteries.

StagPower
5/22/2008 1:06:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SouthHoof][Edited] [#24]
This was more of a repair mission but I did include some preplanning in the project.

About 3 years ago our winter was brutal & there was very little snow.  The ground froze down to 30 inches.  I "had" a 2 inch drain line that froze & broke. I had to inprovise a way to continue to empty the sump pump crock & it wasn't pretty but it served to purpose.  Once the 2 inch line thawed it still functioned but I new it needed to be replaced.  This week I dug the trench and replaced the 2 pvc line with 4 inch drain tile.

I also reworked the lines passing through the block wall and included a more permanant way to bypass the main line if it ever freezes down again.  I put a T in the pipe as it exits the wall and ran a vertical extention with a threaded couple at the end.

If need be I can screw a barbed nipple into the vertical extention and attach a flexable 1 1/2" hose to that for a temporary discharge.

FWIW, I buried a conduit in the same trench then dug another short trench to provide more AC power to my pole barn.

I've killed mulitple birds with one stone.
5/22/2008 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:
More rice, more beans from Wally World.

Wife bitched that I have too much, ignored her.



She won't be bitchin when the food runs out and the food riots start
"The thing is- as far as the universe is concerned- we're all bugs! Just hoppin' along, lovin' life, until one day fate decides to introduce each and every one of us to our very own, personalized windscreen."
5/22/2008 8:15:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SouthHoof][Edited] [#26]
While I was bashing holes in my block wall from the drain project I added another one.

This is for a 2" PVC pipe with screw in caps on each end.  Now I can pass an extention cord from the generator through the 2" PVC into the basement.  A piece of foam will fill the rest of the pipe while the cord is in use.

Previously I always ran the cords down the stairway.  That also presented a security problem by having the back door open as well.
5/22/2008 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I purchased almost 2 complete sets of hierloom seeds for next year or beyond.
5/23/2008 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Tilled and amended a 25'x12' garden plot with a fence at my mom's house...by hand. Installed a new front door with hardware and a new lock on the back door for her.



I'm beat
5/23/2008 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Well Let see
Received Book Crisis prepardness, by spigarelli
3 Poultry Books also,
Getting Chickens and mabey some Guineas Tommorrow,  Thats going to be a cool/fun  Prepardness item  
Done a Shit ton of reading Here.and almost finished reading the SAS Survival Book Ordered 25 lbs of powered Whole milk.  
Sited in my childhood 22  ( would like to get a new 10-22 )
The woman got WII fit  so we can play together, I was hope'n for more play elseware if ya know what i mean.  
Sprayed the fruit trees, got a fungus amungus,  first year in the ground too.
Started working on plans for the coop.  
5/23/2008 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I function fired 4 PMAGs for my AR and then worked about 45 mins to an hour on mag changing drills both dominant and non-dominant side.  Did some malfunction drills too - all dry fire to conserve my ammo.  

Ordered a Ceiner .22 conversion for my AR yesterday.

Fixed a strainer/mosquito screen for the rain barrel out at the chicken coop.  Starting to work on my grape arbor tomorrow and will be working in the garden in the a.m. as well.
5/23/2008 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#31]

55 gallon poly barrel with locking lid.  It held syrup at one point so it will be a waste water container or a cistern.  
In my professional opinion, it looks like something happens... and then something different happens... and then shit fucks up and he fucking crashes.
5/24/2008 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Got a free CB for the truck
Got a $5 frame for my med. alice pack
Traded two rifles for 2 AK's Romy G's 1 folder 1 fixed.
ordered 3 cases 5.45x39
bought canned choclate syrup
bought a pressure cooker and learned how to cook with it.
got a coleman lantern for $5
Got a GI duffle to store my large tent in
Had a 9mm carbine POP in my face (appears to be case failure) learned why I should wear shooting glasses I was lucky.
5/24/2008 12:37:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Bought 100lbs of hamburger at $2/lb and a side of pork for $160, all at a local butcher.

Side of pork includes:

1 Pork Shoulder Roast
1 Pack Ham Hocks
8 packs of bacon
10 1.5lb packages of Mild Pork Sausage
12 Pork Steaks
12 Pork Cutlets
18 Ham Slice Steaks
42 Pork Chops


My 7cu.ft. freezer has enough room now for a book of matches, give or take.

Being laid off as of today, its nice to know at least I wont go hungry.
I shall not lend my support to a man who has made a career out of defecating on my core beliefs. John McCain will not get my vote, for he has not earned it. PRAGMATISM BE DAMNED.
5/24/2008 1:44:04 AM EDT
[#34]


Got another order from longlifefoods.
Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
5/24/2008 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Just got the call to help a buddy who's bailing hay today.
Sweat equity: I'll get mine cheaper.
Seems that the bales are heavier and the wagons higher, than they were 30 years ago!
Going to try to put an extra 1-200 bales this year, in case of another drought.
5/24/2008 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Ordered a decent backpack for a BOB
5/24/2008 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#37]
picked up a few more AK mags on the EE.
"The thing is- as far as the universe is concerned- we're all bugs! Just hoppin' along, lovin' life, until one day fate decides to introduce each and every one of us to our very own, personalized windscreen."
5/24/2008 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I read the post on target and picked up several little items for a buck each. Chem lights water proof matches look in the dollar area for camping supplies.
Also extra for My sis she is setting up her BOB, wish I was could save 10-20 on simple items due to target.
5/24/2008 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Got 54 #10 cans from the LDS of dried goods last night via Fedex.  Canned 6 dozen pickled eggs  Worked on the shelter 6 hours.
Militant RN and DAV 91E2CX2
5/24/2008 8:59:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jj01][Edited] [#40]
Wife and I put in 3 more 3X9 raised beds.

Planted potatoes for the first time. We're trying multiple planting mediums, 1 set will go into a raised bed, 1 set will go into a old wine cask, and the third will go into 5 gallon buckets. The objective is to determine which has the highest yield.

Purchased about 80% of the materials needed to build a 60/40 solar oven. The oven will supposedly generate temps up to 400degrees. It is our family project this weekend. The goal here is to develop a "fuel free" way of preparing food and heating water.
5/24/2008 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By jj01:
Wife and I put in 3 more 3X9 raised beds.

Planted potatoes for the first time. We're trying multiple planting mediums, 1 set will go into a raised bed, 1 set will go into a old wine cask, and the third will go into 5 gallon buckets. The objective is to determine which has the highest yield.

Purchased about 80% of the materials needed to build a 60/40 solar oven. The oven will supposedly generate temps up to 400degrees. It is our family project this weekend. The goal here is to develop a "fuel free" way of preparing food and heating water.



Brother, I am doing the same thing on my end, and then some. Let's compare results...seriously!
5/26/2008 4:14:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Put another 500 rounds rifle and 300 rounds pistol downrange training today. Been more then a couple of months so I was a little rusty but it felt good. Training's part of prepping right?

BT
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
5/26/2008 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Been reading this post the last few days and trying to learn as much as i can.

went out yesterday and worked on sighting in my ar at 100 yards
need to work on my breathing control and not jerking the trigger - but so far i've got it at about half dollar size groups

put a few more 9mm rounds down range with my other carbine

and worked on arranging my bob and ghb setups
5/26/2008 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Planted the garden.

Tomatoes
Potatoes
Peas
Beans
Cucumbers
Dill
Carrots
Onions

5/26/2008 5:31:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BallisticTip][Edited] [#45]
Built a 8X10 storage shed for supplies.
"They're telling us they'd rather die than come out and surrender....so.. They're gonna die..."
5/26/2008 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Conyinued operation bury the shelter.
Militant RN and DAV 91E2CX2
5/26/2008 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Watered and weeded garden
Got 22 free mason jars off of craigslist.  
5/26/2008 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#48]
I got a 50 mylars and 100 O2 absorbers from Fanny Mae

Now I need the food to put in em
5/26/2008 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Actually I got the mylars from Wendy Mae

Fanny Mae doen't give out Mylars
5/27/2008 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Put in two 60ft rows of beans and a row of pickiling cukes, put in 20 more asparagus crowns, weeded, watered.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 50
Next Page