Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Previous Page
/ 50
Next Page
5/11/2008 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#1]
2x 15 gal drums from the local Pepsi plant
2000x Win primers
3000x M193 bullets
2lbs Win 248
Gerber baby food on sale
kids snacks ( comfort food )
8x #10 cans mashed spuds


Sold some extra BUIS and a light mount on the EE, thus freeing up some more funds.

BT
5/12/2008 4:49:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Filled the bed of a large pickup truck with stuff from the commissary case-lot sale and planted two Mullberry trees.  Set up an electric fence around the garden to keep out the deer.

5/12/2008 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Started annual rotation of water in drums - and, after draining a couple, rinsing them out with a heavy bleach solution, rinsing out the heavy bleach solution (i.e. add some water, pour in a dollop of bleach, add more water, put the cap back on, and shake around, pour out with the cap barely on to get the threads too, then rinse with water two or three times), and leaving them to dry for a bit because I had other things to do, found a water leak a mile away and decided to wait on filling them and check the local water company's web site first.

I need a much better way to get the water out of the drums, and I'm loathe to drop an actual garden hose down inside one - I have no idea what chemicals are on the outside of said garden hose.
5/12/2008 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#4]
-Bushnell Gen 1 nightvision monocular
-2 pairs of woodland bdu pants
-found about 1.50 face value in junk silver in pocket change lately
-Used the "egg crate" foam that my M1 was shipped in from the CMP to pad some .50 cal ammocans for my bug out optics/electronics
5/12/2008 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Added to the pantry:
45 lbs rice
4 jars peanut butter
canned veggies and tuna
cooking oil (1 gal)
AAA batteries


worked out twice this weekend
5/12/2008 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#6]
HAd PLANNED on turkey hunting then hitting the range, but over 4" of rain and lots of wind put a hurting on that plan!
(Figures, I've been working 60-75 hour weeks and this was MY day)

SO, reorganizing our stores, and catching up on some of the honey-do lists, between trips to pump out one of teh barns.Hope to rerig fishing gear,and maybe a little reloading later this evening.

Oh, and ordered even more traps and another 500' of snare cable!
(Making more snares,and more importantly, ditching a lot the HEAVY 1/2' rerod stakes, in favor of cable and fender washers or conduit, for when I have to hoof it in and out.
(carried 14 1and 1/2s, plus rebar stakes a LONG way last fall.)  
5/12/2008 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Another few cans of tuns to the stash.
5/12/2008 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#8]
got a new weather radio
5/12/2008 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Got a used road bike.  I plan to start biking to and from work to save $ and to get in better shape.  Did a couple short (less than 1 mile) rides over the weekend.  Still need to get shoes and clips for the pedals, or swap them out for clipless ones.  I hope to be able to start biking to work in the next two weeks.
5/12/2008 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#10]
cultivated rows of the garden
Militant RN and DAV 91E2CX2
5/12/2008 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Zero'd in the new AR for the first time & made sure it cycles rounds as expected.

Took the 3 oldest kids (12,10, 8) to the range to get used to firearms.

The younger of the 3, the two boys shot the AR, the XD9, and the XD40, and loved it.

So the firearms (firing) training starts.

StagPower
5/12/2008 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By Reb52:
Vacuumed sealed more beans and flour in Mason Jars. Collected the eggs from the Hen house. Watered the garden and pulled the cards from all the game cameras. Deer and turkey galore. Spread fertilizer under the big oaks hoping to have more acorns this year to attract wildgame this fall all that after a 13 hour shift in Oak Ridge.


Reb,

Can you tell me how you vacuum seal mason jars? That sounds like a great idea. Maybe it is obvious, but I am not getting it yet. I assume you use O2 absorbers?

Thanks,

GC
5/12/2008 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Bought some more Mountain House pouches.
5/12/2008 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought a couple Mountain House pouches to try them out.
.308. Turning cover into concealment since 1952.

5/12/2008 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Bought ammo for my .40 S&Ws.
LSU Tigers, 2007 BCS National Champions! GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

"I'm not just people...I'm a moderator."


5/13/2008 12:08:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dallasfromdallas][Edited] [#16]
-Ordered mylar and o2 absorbers
-Weeded the garden.
-Took the girlfriend shooting and sighted in her new 10/22 and my new Rem. 700 LTR in .308.
-Bought some more tuna, beans, canned goods, pasta, and sugar.
-Cycled 10 gallons of gas
-30 minutes of cardio, pushups, curls, tricep exercises, dips
-Convinced myself to buy more tray rats when the little lady isn't watching.
5/13/2008 12:28:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Made it to the BOL this weekend. Burned some brush, put in 5 fence posts, chainsaw chain was toast, otherwise would have cut more and installed. Slowly getting the fence up. Put a few magazines worth of ammo through my new HK P7's, very accurate, and nice feel to them. Shot the 10/22 for fun, and the AR-15 got a small workout, double checked the sighting on my N-star (cheapie) scope, actually worked pretty nice. Refreshed gun skills/safety with the fiance and both of these guns. She shot a few rounds on each weapon. Scared of the noise, have'nt quite gotten her to catch the 'bug'.
Thinking a suppressor for the 10/22 might do the trick. Later on.
Explored our surrounding area up there, on the ATV. Saw a few more camps coming in, newly formed trails. A few more folks have 'moved in' although I would guess that there are about 5 persons per mile up there, at most - like on a holiday weekend.
Anyway, enjoyed the great outdoors, and kept gun and survival skills fresh.
Oh yeah, bought way more ammo than I shot, so the preps went up, and left a few canned goods at the camper/trailer up there.
Of all the things I've lost,
I miss my Mind the most...
5/13/2008 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Ordered O2 absorbers and mylar bags
picked up some MH scrambled egg puoches
got a tweezers and tick remover device for first aid kit

WIfe made dinners last night of stored rice and black beans to experiment with which spices work best.
5/13/2008 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Ran the generator and the chainsaw up.
Cleaned/inventoried tool shed.

All over the weekend.
كافر
Remember, you can't spell "unethical" without U.N.!
Most paranoid hillbillies die of old age. -- blackeye
Smelly Hippies make the Baby Jesus cry.
http://s10.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=58303
5/13/2008 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Decided to drop a tree last night about 8:30 pm. It was dead, had been dead for a year or better, but for some reason it was bugging me last night. Going to split and stack it this weekend.

Observations:
1) Don't chainsaw in shorts. It's not like jeans would protect you against a chainsaw gone wild, but there's just a little extra vulnerability with the whole bare skin. Would have been really easy to get scratched up, anyhow.
2) With a little bit of thought, I was able to drop the tree within about 5 feet of where I wanted it to fall. That was good for the self confidence.
3) I have about 12 more trees on my land that need to come down (dead from Oak Wilt), but those won't come down until this fall (on account of disease contol). The one I dropped was not an oak, but a different species that I inadvertantly killed while spraying. No oaks were injured in the felling of that tree.
.308. Turning cover into concealment since 1952.

5/13/2008 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#21]
A few more gallons of bleach - rotating stock.

20 more rounds of cheap .30-06.

5/13/2008 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Just stoped a mil surplus store and got some more junk , at lest my GFs little boy liked it .

Oh if you are wondering why I got the hammock so low is because he cannot walk since he had a brain tumor at 3 and his mom gets nervous any time it looks like he could hit his head hard.

Jeeps and Guns go together like peanut butter and jelly
I have the black rifle and jeep disease , and my insurance doesnt cover it.
Southernvajeepers.com
5/13/2008 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought a bunch of NiMH batteries:

8 D
24 AA
12 AAA
1 9V

and a matching charger. The NiMH batteries I have are 4-5 years old and some have started to fail to hold charges.
Celebrating the Second Amendment One Fine Firearm at a Time

5/14/2008 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Hated to do it at $3.99.9 for a gallon of gas but it's time to rotate gas out of my stock into the daily driver Jeep.

I'll try to ease the pain by just getting 5 gallons a week.
5/14/2008 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm learning Spanish!
5/14/2008 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By GaCracker:

Originally Posted By Reb52:
Vacuumed sealed more beans and flour in Mason Jars. Collected the eggs from the Hen house. Watered the garden and pulled the cards from all the game cameras. Deer and turkey galore. Spread fertilizer under the big oaks hoping to have more acorns this year to attract wildgame this fall all that after a 13 hour shift in Oak Ridge.


Reb,

Can you tell me how you vacuum seal mason jars? That sounds like a great idea. Maybe it is obvious, but I am not getting it yet. I assume you use O2 absorbers?

Thanks,

GC



I kinda rigged the bag vacuum sealer that was not set up for jar adapter by sticking the tygon tube in the hole when the cealer was completely open. I bought the adapters for small and large mouht off of Ebay for about $15.00. You can go to Youtube that someone here posted and watch exactly how to do it.

I also built a vacuum chamber out of a pressure cooker and a vacuum pump from work. Only put the lid not the screw on part. They don't seal every time. So make sure you test it when youare done.






5/14/2008 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By Reb52:

Originally Posted By GaCracker:

Originally Posted By Reb52:
Vacuumed sealed more beans and flour in Mason Jars. Collected the eggs from the Hen house. Watered the garden and pulled the cards from all the game cameras. Deer and turkey galore. Spread fertilizer under the big oaks hoping to have more acorns this year to attract wildgame this fall all that after a 13 hour shift in Oak Ridge.


Reb,

Can you tell me how you vacuum seal mason jars? That sounds like a great idea. Maybe it is obvious, but I am not getting it yet. I assume you use O2 absorbers?

Thanks,

GC



I kinda rigged the bag vacuum sealer that was not set up for jar adapter by sticking the tygon tube in the hole when the cealer was completely open. I bought the adapters for small and large mouht off of Ebay for about $15.00. You can go to Youtube that someone here posted and watch exactly how to do it.

I also built a vacuum chamber out of a pressure cooker and a vacuum pump from work. Only put the lid not the screw on part. They don't seal every time. So make sure you test it when youare done.



Heres something worth trying...... interesting idea


homemade vacum sealer
There's a certain feeling of freedom hitting the open road with one's nether regions exposed to the air.
... Ginger


Some of your closest friends are those that are the farthest away
5/14/2008 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Got an REI membership.

Also picked up an MSR sweet water purifier for the BOB.
5/15/2008 1:24:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ServiceGun][Edited] [#29]
Bought a decent set of binoculars.
5/15/2008 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Picked up some more AR and handgun mags.
5/15/2008 10:17:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dragongoddess][Edited] [#31]
Bought 2 eye droppers and several small travel items for the 3 day bag. Even have single packs of tide to wash clothes with. There is just enough to do a wash in a sink sized container.
5/15/2008 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought 10 cases (24 bottles/case) of bottled water to start prepping for hurricane season.
"There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless — boys and women — and I am neither one."
5/15/2008 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By Reb52:

Originally Posted By GaCracker:

Originally Posted By Reb52:
Vacuumed sealed more beans and flour in Mason Jars. Collected the eggs from the Hen house. Watered the garden and pulled the cards from all the game cameras. Deer and turkey galore. Spread fertilizer under the big oaks hoping to have more acorns this year to attract wildgame this fall all that after a 13 hour shift in Oak Ridge.


Reb,

Can you tell me how you vacuum seal mason jars? That sounds like a great idea. Maybe it is obvious, but I am not getting it yet. I assume you use O2 absorbers?

Thanks,

GC



I kinda rigged the bag vacuum sealer that was not set up for jar adapter by sticking the tygon tube in the hole when the cealer was completely open. I bought the adapters for small and large mouht off of Ebay for about $15.00. You can go to Youtube that someone here posted and watch exactly how to do it.

I also built a vacuum chamber out of a pressure cooker and a vacuum pump from work. Only put the lid not the screw on part. They don't seal every time. So make sure you test it when youare done.

Thanks much!

GC





5/16/2008 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#34]
This week:
firearms training, pistol, rifle, shotgun
Another 2000 rds 9mm
100 ft paracord
infrared filter for surefire
bought a +2 870 extension
5/16/2008 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#35]
planted tomatoes, onions, peppers, lettuce, egg plant, and peas
5/16/2008 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#36]
bought more tray rats.

Bought more m2 ball.

N.R.A. Master Class Shooter

USCG Auxiliary Aircrewman

,[____l,
_-o||||o-_
()_)¯¯ )_)


5/16/2008 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#37]
been building my ham knowledge and gear for the past month. this coms thing is cool
TBS is an island of Sanity in a sea of bullshit.
jkstexas2001

Originally Posted By Cypher214:
If bigfoot makes it through 90 rounds of .223, 45 rounds of 9mm, and one sharp KaBar... he deserves my anal virginity.
5/16/2008 6:34:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tommygun2000][Edited] [#38]
Been a busy week here. Vacuum packed 40lbs of Basmati rice, 30lbs of Pinto and Great Northern beans, 125lbs sugar, 100lbs of flour, 20lbs of assorted pasta. Put away 10lbs of canned coffee and 8800rds of .22LR, weeded the garden, planted more tomato and zucchini plants.

Picked my first asparagus of the season......1 inch diameter stocks about 12 inches long and sweet as candy!!!! also picking baby spinach and collards....mmmmmm good!

Apple and pear trees have tons of blossoms.....hope they yield more fruit than previous years.  I trimmed them well last time and seeing the benefits of it now.

Fixed my chainsaw, ordered some spare parts for it, cleaned up my wood storage area in preparation to stack some tossed piled wood for the winter, tilled my second garden to plant butternut squash.  Tomorrow, I work on my BOV if its not raining.

5/16/2008 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Had some spare time today while working from the home office:

Cleaned up and inventoried a bunch of food, accessories and ammo.

Finally got a chance to use my new strop to put the scary sharp edge back on my B1.

Figured out that I have much more than I thought I did.
5/16/2008 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Tended garden.and chickens.
Militant RN and DAV 91E2CX2
5/17/2008 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#41]
When through my civil emergency response team bag (no firearms ):

Filled the thing with fresh water.
Checked on the condition of the first aid kits (3)
Refreshed socks and underware.
Rotated the MRE's out and moved the pack inside (heat in the garage)

Bought a Viking Fire Rope for the winch and a new fairlead for the truck

Repaired the side gate flipping the hinge side so that I can alarm the thing.
Celebrating the Second Amendment One Fine Firearm at a Time

5/17/2008 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Ordered more tray rats.

Planted the rest of the garden.

Put the next level on the potato box and dumped in more compost.

Watched tooth and nail and waterborne.

Cleaned chicken coop.
5/17/2008 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#43]
went G-sales and for $18 picked up fallowing

3 frammed packs: 1 jan sport, 1 campmore, 1 can't remember.  One was forest friendly 2 are blue.

Backpacking stove

Propane lantern with hard case

backpacking sleeping pad

GI canteen, GI canteen cup, and ALICE case

1967 GI mess kit

alum cook kit, 2 pots, 3 plates, pot lifter, 2 plastic cup, 3 set silver ware

I think thats all, not to bad for driving around with the family.

also my copy of Survival Basics 1 and 2 with Ron Hood showed up, for the kids to watch.  I figure he tells them, then I tell them and show them.  then the wife can play it for them while I'm at work.  Hear it enough the should remember.

5/18/2008 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#44]
planted more tomatoes, lettuce, peas, and peppers, along with some spinach, chard, basil, 3 kinds of beans, 2 kinds of squash, and 2 kinds of cucumbers.
5/18/2008 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#45]
I had great morning so far,  My 3 boys  and I  cleaned and prepped 1000 lake city brass for reloading.  

It was just a great experience hanging out with the boys and having them enjoy my hobby.  

They all 3 worked on removing the primer crimps and cleaning the primer pockets.  

I still do not let them near the live primers or powder.
5/18/2008 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Loaded 200rds of 45acp with a scant 1800 more to go

I privately sorta patted myself on the back just a bit too.  Not in any major way, just an important one.

My youngest son, 22yrs old, is on his way right now to buy a pair of kayaks.  The pat on he back part comes when I see what he's done to think through the purchase.

He did his researh BEFORE buying on impulse.  He knew what floatation vest would work best before buying.   He also checked out the better quality paddles available & decided it's worth a couple extra bucks to buy one that is highly regarded.

Best of all, before one dime was spent on the above he bought a pair of red Nalgene bottles that double as first aid kits.  He explained to me that they will clip (carabeaner) right to the inside of the Kayak & there's room in the bottle for a couple other prep items like a Bic lighter & a mylar blanket.  Right in front of his very sweeth girlfriend I mentioned he should put a couple "light days" feminine napkins & a couple tampons in the bottle too.  She didn't flinch (he did  ) and agreed that was a good idea too.  Then she said "they make good bandages if you need them."  Then half joking she said "a tampon can stop a nose bleed too"

Kinda makes a dad proud to know some of the prep stuff is wearing off on them.
5/18/2008 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#47]
I added some herbs (oregano, basil, dill, texas terragon and parsley) to the garden.  They join the garlic we planted last fall.  (Thanks to some inspiration from a member here).  Got some tomatoes in, along with some Walla Walla sweet onions.  The onions were the wife's idea.

Next up is reorganizing the storage foods.  As the quantity grows, things are getting less organized.  It's had to keep track of what you have when you cannot find everything.
"That others might live."
5/18/2008 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Reorganized some of my food supplies, planted four more zucchini and six more bell pepper plants and six cherry tomato plants.
5/18/2008 5:01:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pinpointshot][Edited] [#49]
10 pounds of spagetti

Tomatoes, cabbage, corn, cucumber, squash, green beans are all coming up nice.
Strawberries are producing sweet large strawberries, apple and pear trees have lots of nice blooms and have small fruits. jalepeno and wax pepper plants are getting big with blooms but no peppers yet.

Caught 3 coons this week in a trap in the garden.
5/18/2008 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Completed my CCW class yesterday.
Of all the things I've lost,
I miss my Mind the most...

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 50
Next Page