BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
My cross-country GHB (Page 2 of 14)
Page / 14
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 1:03:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By Cerberous:
Look into solar chargers for your Elect. Equip. you may need it in the field. True SHTF are blacked out urban going to rural areas.

www.solio.com/v2/shop/shop2_cat.php?catid=1

check out the pink one for your covert signaling and rapport plan.

Great setup and great post by the way +10!

I've discounted most solar, this one does seem kind of cool though

"Solio has been made Carbon Neutral by planting trees in protected bio-diverse forests"

Kind of make you want to puke. I'm more of the go to foreign countries and kill a lot of them for carbon offsets kind of guy.

I really don't plan on going wilderness, as long as I'm where any car is, abandoned or not, I can clip in and charge my gear. I only need that every couple days at the most.

Link Posted: 7/10/2007 1:13:47 AM EDT
[#2]
BTW I was able to give most my gear a good test shot in June. I did two weeks of rock climbing and carried almost everything but the electronics the whole time. I left out the electronics because I didn’t need them, and did need to carry lots of climbing gear and two ropes.

The Bag was really good with 35#, ok with 45#, not very comfortable at all with 60#. The pack was not a good rock climbing pack because of the side pouches on the waist belt. During a few chimney type moves and squeezes the pouches defiantly got in the way. Same reason I’m considering going away from it as my carry-on. I can’t wear it down the aisle without hitting everyone along the way. But as a daily pack it is great. Decent organization, comfortable, cool, etc. Carries a light load very well.

The bag liner and a smartwool shirt were all I needed to sleep at 50-55 degrees. Add the balaclava and puffy jacket w hood and I could go to 45 easy, maybe colder. I’ll have to wait until next winter to temp test all my sleeping/shelter system.

I learned trip wire is not strong enough for repairs and that is why I added the 20’ of 20ga steel wire. I traded all my duct tape for gorilla tape, seems better.

I doubled my depth for snivel meds. Since I use this stuff for normal use, not just emergencies, some will be gone when an event starts so I went from 3-5 days to 7-10 days of stuff. Only an oz. so no big deal. In a real event if I was near my primary travel gear, I could cannibalize my primary hygiene kit and get another 7-14 days worth.

The monocular was well worth having, I used it every other day.

I actually bought a pair of crocs, very gay, but the lightest possible footgear I could find to change into after wearing boots all day. The tag says they are “ARMY” color i.e. OD green. The ugliest things I have ever worn.

Link Posted: 7/10/2007 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]
oh man you have croc's I was just telling my wife when we were out I saw a "guy" wearing those and told her no self respecting man would wear those  

Just don't go public with them, what happens in the woods stays in the woods
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Ragnar,
I totally agree about the Quickclot.  Even in its newest form (the tea bag) it still really can't be replaced by just straight up finding the source and packing the crap out of the wound, and I mean packing it way down in and then applying a pressure bandage. I think it sort of caters to those who get a little freaked out about jamming curlex way into a wound.  

Your sleep and shelter system basically mimic mine.  I usually travel light and then just layer up with all my clothes to extend the temp range on my jungle bag aswell. That in conjunction with my super light bivy give me tons of versatility and keep my pack weight way down.

Anyways, awesome GHB.  I've already made some notes on how to mod mine when I get home from AssCrackistan. I especially dig your field expedient charging capabilities....you must havehad some resourceful Echos in yout team....or maybe its you??!!

Rata
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By testedone:
oh man you have croc's I was just telling my wife when we were out I saw a "guy" wearing those and told her no self respecting man would wear those  

Just don't go public with them, what happens in the woods stays in the woods

I have known a few guys that give fashion advice and care to give other guys fashion advice. They were all gay.

The men I have known who wear what they please where they please? Not gay.

Link Posted: 7/10/2007 4:06:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pyro6988] [#6]

Originally Posted By _RAGNAR_:

Originally Posted By just-mike:
water tabs?

I have two bottles of tabs, one was in the misc bag and one was normally in the hygiene bag but it was in another pouch because I had just been using them.

i just got some of those chlorine flat packed ones also I may put a tab or two in the jacket.

I just used tabs again for the first time in about ten years. I used to use them every damn week and didn't care about the taste a bit. Last week they sure tasted bad. I may need to get those double bottles with the second tab that kills the taste of the first tab.

You would be much better served with the Katadyn water treatment tablets.  One of the only water treatment tablets which kill Cryptosporidium and also have no bad taste.

www.rei.com/product/695229?vcat=REI_SEARCH
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Very impressive. Great job.
It's now obvious, that I'm a slacker.
My GHB was good until now
M
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By pyro6988:

Originally Posted By just-mike:
water tabs?

I have two bottles of tabs, one was in the misc bag and one was normally in the hygiene bag but it was in another pouch because I had just been using them.

i just got some of those chlorine flat packed ones also I may put a tab or two in the jacket.

I just used tabs again for the first time in about ten years. I used to use them every damn week and didn't care about the taste a bit. Last week they sure tasted bad. I may need to get those double bottles with the second tab that kills the taste of the first tab.

You would be much better served with the Katadyn water treatment tablets.  One of the only water treatment tablets which kill Cryptosporidium and also have no bad taste.

www.rei.com/product/695229?vcat=REI_SEARCH

I keep those in all of my bags as well.

Only for emergency purposes though. They are too expensive and take too damn long(4 hours) to treat water to use for casual/recreational camping/backpacking.

For 99% of the water you're going to find in country streams and rivers I use aquamira and no filter(beyond coffee filters or bandanas) and have never become ill.

If I was leaving the country I would DEFINITELY take the micro-pur and a good filter just try to stay ahead of my water consumption by 4 hours.
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I just bought a couple of Lightload Towels for my GHB. They are .5oz and extremely compact. They are compressed into a silver dollar sized package and are about 1/2" thick. I also bought some tent stakes.

Thursday afternoon, I may stop at a REI store to see if I can come up with one of those tarp tents that are super light weight and may buy a bivy bag to use as a sleeping bag with my AMK bivy bag as a makeshift sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Snivel kit (6.8oz) bunch of blister stuff, iodine pads and antibiotic ointment, alka-seltzer, band aids and tape, cough drops, pills: pain, diarrhea, sleep, allergy, vitamins, probiotics.

pretty sweet setup-

my one comment on the meds is that you write a small label and stick it in the bag, so 6 months from now when the writing becomes illegible on the outside of the baggy you can still get the right pill.

Link Posted: 7/11/2007 12:10:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn it!

Ragnar,

You have me obsessing over my GHB again! I picked up some stuff for it today inbetween customers. I picked up the towels and tent stakes I mentioned before. I also picked up some charmin toilet paper in travel packs, a long sleeve polar max shirt (I really like poly pro, but I may change my mind later.), a Band Aid brand blister stop stick (kind of like the body glide for your feet), and a cheap non disposible poncho.

I can't wait until tomorrow to see what I can find at REI near San Fran. I believe that I saw one south of San Mateo where I am staying. My first priority is to find a tarp tent and bivy bag that I can use as a super lite sleeping bag. I may even spring for one of those super lite self inflating pads as it is really important to get off the ground. I always figured on using vegetation, but that is not a certainty.

I have one set of lithium back up batteries for the three flash lights that will go with me. One of them will be for trade or disposed of if I need to drop some weight.

How important is hand sanitizer when I have a bar of soap? Should I carry more than one military bandage? I have two right now, but limited space in my luggage.

Right now I am just figuring out how important it is to have 2 of something or should I have 4! Everyone in the forum can relate to that.

Most of my medical supplies are in a separate toiletry bag that can be thrown into my GHB at the last second. I can be out of this hotel room in about 1 min. with my full GHB and all the clothes that are appropriate for the climate at the time. Everything else is a huge loss monetarily, but my life is worth much, much more!

I need help with all this obssessing! Damn your Survival Forum!
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By olwen:

pretty sweet setup-

my one comment on the meds is that you write a small label and stick it in the bag, so 6 months from now when the writing becomes illegible on the outside of the baggy you can still get the right pill.

That is a very good idea. the markings I put on them are already wearing off.
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 12:14:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By M4MikelA3:
[
Only for emergency purposes though. They are too expensive and take too damn long(4 hours) to treat water to use for casual/recreational camping/backpacking.

That was kind of my issue with them. I have some but have never used them. They would be fine for a static position but if I'm moving fast I know how much water I want/need to keep it up. With a four hour cycle, I'm going to have to go from carrying 2 bottles to 4 or more so you can be filling every hour to two and cycling them to the front. Thats a lot of water stops and a lot of water to carry, or you have to slow way down to stay hydrated.

If I need to drink 2 quarts an hour to move at maximum speed (and still fall behind on hydration) I would need to be carrying 8 quarts minimum in various stages of the purification cycle. That is too much water weight.
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 12:18:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By batmanacw:
Damn it!

Ragnar,

You have me obsessing over my GHB again!

And I’m not obsessing? I have my damn contents on a spreadsheet with different versions and load outs with weight comparisons.
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 1:13:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I haven't put my entire GHB together yet. I have plenty of room so I am not even close to being worried about that. The back pack is actually a Swiss army cheapo that I got at Sams club for $20.

This may get upgraded someday soon, but it is perfect for a brief case. It even has a chest strap! Maybe I will trade if for a medium camel back that is reasonably well set up for my brief case.

It is time to start getting serious about loosing some weight so the trip home won't be quite as bad as it would be if I had to walk home tonight. Its only 2,000 miles away.

I will only have one change of clothes, three extra pairs of socks and underware, my poly pros vacuum packed for space savings until needed, and my sweat shirt that combined with the poly pros will make me very warm down to 20 degrees or less.

My favorite kind of T shirt is  fruit of the loom cotton/poly. I would plan on wearing one of these for warm weather. Is it a bad idea to wear one of these under my poly pros during cold weather or should I have my pros as my base layer alone. This should be a new thread.

Then I will have all the stuff listed in my earlier post and hopefully some shelter after tomorrow.

Link Posted: 7/11/2007 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I went to REI today and spent quite a bit of money. Over $100.

I bought:
Integral Designs Siltarp 5x8
Ultimax Wigwam Cool lite hiker socks
Thermolite 2.0 Bivy Sack (like my other one but smaller package and lighter weight)
Signal mirror
Titanium tent stakes with hooks for the tarp corners
Body Glide with sun screen

I didn't pick up any better clothes but that will come soon.

The poncho is coming out as well as the aluminum tent stakes and the older Thermolite Bivy
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 2:12:41 AM EDT
[#17]
One of the thing we should do is start list how we can use each item in our gear. Single use items are not very attractive to me. If I have multiple uses out of my items and I have overlap to accomplish my missions i.e. two ways minimum I hope.

As an example I use esbit. It’s not a real firestarter but it can be used to start a real fire. It is of course also a fuel if its own and is relatively non-toxic. Cooking your food, or even making hot water sitting Indian style under your poncho is a quick way to get pretty darn warm. The stove I use is an alcohol stove when used right side up and an esbit stove when upside down. Now once again I really don’t “need” these items. I could just make a hobo stove from the first can I find and cook in another can and just use normal fire as my fuel. But it does make life easier. If I ended up traveling with a small group I would make a hobo stove and cook in a bigger pot.

My signal panel can be used to signal obviously, but will also filter large particulate in water, it is also nylon and stuck inside my balaclava will make me much warmer. It can of course be used as a cravat if needed also. I can also be used as a bandana tied around my face to protect from wind, dust, and snow.

If everyone listed every use they can think of for every item we would all find out we could travel lighter.
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Here are two inexpensive and useful items

one the left is water heater In just a few minutes it will heat a large cup of water hot enough to make a mountain house meal, coffee, or tea. It is not for SHTF but for minor problems like being stuck in an airport.

On the right is a cigarette lighter plug with alligator clips, it weighs four ounces and can charge all my electronics. As someone mentioned, this could be made by ripping a cigarette lighter out of a car and just using any old wire. This would be useful in the most extreme of situations, even a significant EMP attack. (if my electronics gear didn't fail, I was thinking of doing some insulated copper foil wrappers for my gear but everyone here seems to think EMP is no big deal for electronics)
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I really like the idea of posting dual use items.

I don't have any pictures, but my ultimate multi use items are my Leatherman Surge, Mini roll of duct tape, and my bottle of super glue.

My signal mirror is also a regular mirror for treating injuries that you can't look at directly.

My bandana has lots of uses.

My pot can be used to boil water, cook small game meat in a way that is much more capable of killing germs.

Paracord is useful for some many things I can't begin to  say what I would use it for!

I have to admit that many of my items are not multi use like the fire starter, water filter, bug repellent and such.

I am really happy that I bought some of the Body Glide. How did I live without that stuff! I chaffe really easily and have needed something like that my entire life. Gold Bond has been wonderful for healing damage, but not for avoiding it in the first place.

I may really be missing the boat, but I will not be taking any electronics with me except for a small am/fm/sw radio.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Just curious....What is the weight if your bag...if you are not sure can you guesstimate? It looks like it would be HEAVY. Also, do you take this pack on planes?
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Apparantly EMP is not such a big deal for mobile electronics that are not plugged in  at the time.  

Link Posted: 7/13/2007 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Where do you get that Body Glide?  Is it a MegLo-Mart or whatever?  
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By BlitzRugby9:
Just curious....What is the weight if your bag...if you are not sure can you guesstimate? It looks like it would be HEAVY. Also, do you take this pack on planes?

Fully loaded with everything to include a suppressed 22lr pistol and pvs-14 w headmount and the sleeping gear to go near zero it weighs 28# with the pack. The lightest load is looks to be about 22#

As stated in earlier posts, I have taken all of it on-board as carry-on except liquids, weapons, lighters, and some of the aid gear like needles/scalpels. But that is still a bit big w my laptop and such, so I have been leaving out the radio and such and checking more and more of it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I likey

where did you get the radio? I've been looking for like that
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By jmzd4:
I likey

where did you get the radio? I've been looking for like that

it a Kenwood dual band HAM I've had for 10 years, there are lots better now. Read the tacked HAM thread in the survival forum.
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 1:39:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Ragnar, a truly awesome thread man!

I actually have a "to do" or "to buy" list I keep in a notebook here on my desk in which to jot down notes when I find something cool here on the forum. Your posts have given me several new additions to my list of needed items.

Those personal alarms that can be rigged with trip wires to serve as intrusion alert devices were particularly interesting and something I have long been looking for.

The electronics choices and your means of powering and charging them was also greatly beneficial.

Hell, the info and images you provided about everything was nice. I love these posts! Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I just added a vacuum packed pair of poly pro tops and bottoms and a pair of good warm socks. These will stay in my luggage from now on. The vacuum packing will keep them clean and dry. If I have to toss them into my GHB, they can stay sealed until I have to use them and I don't have to worry about getting them damp from rain.

I put titanium tent stakes in there and traded my spoon for a spork!

My other purchase for today was a Guide Series wind shirt. It is like a rain/wind jacket but it is only a shirt. It is easily warm enough with the poly pros to be used as a coat in the winter. I need to get a Nomex bacalava and gloves to complete my summer cold weather gear.
My North Face jacket is my cold weather coat.
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Either carry the over the counter meds in their original unopened containers along with any meds that require 'scripts. If its not in original containers they are going to nail you. Also its going to be hard to get out of a burning plane with a broken leg/s which is the common injury suffered by passengers.
Link Posted: 7/15/2007 1:46:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By dragongoddess:
Either carry the over the counter meds in their original unopened containers along with any meds that require 'scripts. If its not in original containers they are going to nail you. Also its going to be hard to get out of a burning plane with a broken leg/s which is the common injury suffered by passengers.

Well I guess I'll deal with broken legs if it comes to that. That's like saying don't carry a gun or fight back because it won't work and you'll lose anyways. Ever been in a multi-story burning building? Been on rooftop security when a building has been bombed? I think my get out of burning stuff gear is well worth having handy, and the mask it only an oz or two and is the only added items as the balaclava and gloves are part of my shelter system anyway.

Is this worry about medicine some thing that is passed on generation to generation about the boogie man who will toss your hygiene kit and get you in trouble? Thank you all for your advice, let's move on.
Link Posted: 7/15/2007 1:48:12 AM EDT
[#30]

I I need to get a Nomex bacalava and gloves to complete my summer cold weather gear.

the smart wool balaclava is warmer and lighter and wool does a decent job in fire
Link Posted: 7/15/2007 7:39:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Do any dependants ever travel with you?
Link Posted: 7/15/2007 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Excellent post, thanks for sharing your setup.   I might have to get some of those little alarms.  They could be quite handy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2007 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks Ragnar, your kit has made me really re-evaluate my own.  As far as water filtration in a NOLA type situation, which is from what I understand about as bad as water can get and still be thought of as water, try this product tested by our own Protus.

X-Pak Review Archive Link
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By JC_:

No, I travel for work, if anyone is with me they usually have a gun and about 15-20 years in SF! So I guess I could count them as an asset also!

If I had kids I would have small day packs for them, even on the plane with their bare- essentials. I would have to carry more (their second carry on) I'd make sure I had luggage with good wheels, Keep the off road baby cart till the end (it's free luggage that goes all the way to the aircraft door) it can carry a lot.
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 1:18:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 2:28:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By 45stops-em-quick:
Thanks Ragnar, your kit has made me really re-evaluate my own.  As far as water filtration in a NOLA type situation, which is from what I understand about as bad as water can get and still be thought of as water, try this product tested by our own Protus.

X-Pak Review Archive Link

That looks very cool but you have to have the solution to make it work.
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#37]
_RAGNAR_,

Outstanding set up. Have you considered changing packs based on the performance you mentioned? What are your thoughts on the "mil-spec" appearance of your pack?
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By JC_:

No, I travel for work, if anyone is with me they usually have a gun and about 15-20 years in SF! So I guess I could count them as an asset also!

If I had kids I would have small day packs for them, even on the plane with their bare- essentials. I would have to carry more (their second carry on) I'd make sure I had luggage with good wheels, Keep the off road baby cart till the end (it's free luggage that goes all the way to the aircraft door) it can carry a lot.

+1 I have my wife and kids that can walk carry ther own pack based on ability and need. But I plan on hefting the bulk of the load
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By HIPPO:
_RAGNAR_,

Outstanding set up. Have you considered changing packs based on the performance you mentioned? What are your thoughts on the "mil-spec" appearance of your pack?

I want the NG to spot me from 20', it's part of my plan. The entire NG has been trained by their experiences in Iraq to run checkpoints and to know who how to spot "cool guys" I wear my SF hat, have my molle ruck and my jacket is from tadgear and has subdued flags on it. I tested my theory in NOLA and was able to drive or walk through any checkpoint with my ID in a neck holder and the right clothes/look. Obviously this is not a technique available to most people, but it is to me so I plan to use it to it’s maximum advantage.

I've tested how much "normal" people think thus stuff is military, whenever I fly and I've built any rapport with the TSA people I ask them things like "do any of us look like we are in the military?" or "Do any of these bags look military?"

What I've found is that people on forums, based on their selection bias of people they communicate with, think everyone sees this stuff. It is not true in my experience. I can look military when I want, and whenever I want 90+% of people won't even think of it.

I was in Charleston in a very nice hotel earlier this year. Every morning going to the range I would get in the elevator with this pack, and my tadgear jacket, etc and every morning at least one person would ask me if I was going hiking or backpacking.
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By HIPPO:
_RAGNAR_,

I want the NG to spot me from 20', it's part of my plan. The entire NG has been trained by their experiences in Iraq to run checkpoints and to know who how to spot "cool guys" I wear my SF hat, have my molle ruck and my jacket is from tadgear and has subdued flags on it. I tested my theory in NOLA and was able to drive or walk through any checkpoint with my ID in a neck holder and the right clothes/look. Obviously this is not a technique available to most people, but it is to me so I plan to use it to it’s maximum advantage.

I've tested how much "normal" people think thus stuff is military, whenever I fly and I've built any rapport with the TSA people I ask them things like "do any of us look like we are in the military?" or "Do any of these bags look military?"

What I've found is that people on forums, based on their selection bias of people they communicate with, think everyone sees this stuff. It is not true in my experience. I can look military when I want, and whenever I want 90+% of people won't even think of it.

I was in Charleston in a very nice hotel earlier this year. Every morning going to the range I would get in the elevator with this pack, and my tadgear jacket, etc and every morning at least one person would ask me if I was going hiking or backpacking.

Gotcha. Thanks for the explination. I figured as much when I saw your choice of head gear w/ the embroidered tower of power. Most people wouldn't think twice, however some on the board are not most people.
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I am in Vegas this week until Sunday evening. It is hotter than hell out there right now. I still brought my poly pros (they are very thin type) as it can still get cold at night if I had to bug out to the mountains so bringing them was still a decent idea. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't bring myself to pack a jacket this trip. Maybe I am missing the point?

I need to buy a gore tex boonie hat for shading my head in the desert sun for bug out. My baseball caps don't really do the job as they leave lots of room for sun to burn my neck and ears. I can attach my bandana to the back to shade the back of my neck and my shoulders some.

What other clothing or preps would you bring for these conditions? My poncho could be used to make a umbrella of sorts.

I have water purification, but only 2 liters of capacity in my bladder.

Moving at night would be the only good choice. I better put more batteries in the luggage!
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 1:29:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I did a 9 day survival exercise in the desert in TX once. It was just under a hundred degrees in the day and cold enough to freeze canteens at night. We could move all day if we wanted, as it wasn’t that hot, but in Las Vegas in the summer plan on 16 hours a day of movement time max. Before it gets too hot dig a hole under a bush and set up your tarp over the bush. The hole will keep you a bit cooler. It is best to have two tarps with bushes between them, as one layer of nylon seems to cook you. The second tarp and bushes will keep the bottom tarp cool. Make the whole thing so wind will come through it i.e. don’t pull the tarp all the way to the ground.

At night, if you are not mobile, fill the same hole with brush and burn it to coals and cover it with sand to sleep on. It is very warm and it only takes a little. Do the burning before the sun sets if you are being tactical.

Travel near water sources or cross them frequently. Look for snakes and have a snake stick so you can kill them (a simple forked stick and your knife is all you need.

Collect as many water bottles as you can before heading out. I would try to get a full sized coffee can also. Good for bird, snake and rabbit stew. The best way to cook all your food is a stew to get all the water in your system possible. Snake sucks if you just cook it on a stick or in a pan, fine in foil with some water or in stew.

If you have a 22lr rabbits will be easy to get. A waste of time and energy with primitive weapons unless you have a large group in which case you can get a lot of them.

It is unlikely you will need a light to move at night, the desert is pretty bright.
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 1:45:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By Ratamojada:
Your sleep and shelter system basically mimic mine.  I usually travel light and then just layer up with all my clothes to extend the temp range on my jungle bag aswell. That in conjunction with my super light bivy give me tons of versatility and keep my pack weight way down.

Anyways, awesome GHB.  I've already made some notes on how to mod mine when I get home from AssCrackistan. I especially dig your field expedient charging capabilities....you must havehad some resourceful Echos in yout team....or maybe its you??!!

Rata

Yes, sleeping is a system unless you want to carry a lot of weight. Have you read Mark Twights "Extreme Alpinism (sp) one the first guys to talk about it. He also was one of the first that I've heard finally say, being warm and dry is nice but warm and wet is mostly all you can hope for. Figure out how to be warm while wet.

have fun in Afghanistan, try to get-some for the rest of us. I'm not a 18E, I just want to figure out a realistic way to do non-wilderness survival.

Link Posted: 7/17/2007 1:50:07 AM EDT
[#44]

My favorite kind of T shirt is  fruit of the loom cotton/poly. I would plan on wearing one of these for warm weather. Is it a bad idea to wear one of these under my poly pros during cold weather or should I have my pros as my base layer alone. This should be a new thread.

Dump all cotton and cotton blend as soon as it gets wet. I set up a lady friend of mine to do a alpine/glacier climbing course, got her everything she needed and showed her how to use everything, set up her tent, stove etc.

Off she goes to class and on the snow survival weekend she is in her snowcave freezing her ass off, literally her ass, after getting her all the right stuff she wore cotton panties under it all and froze!
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 2:31:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: vrwc0915] [#45]

Dump all cotton and cotton blend as soon as it gets wet. I set up a lady friend of mine to do a alpine/glacier climbing course, got her everything she needed and showed her how to use everything, set up her tent, stove etc.

Off she goes to class and on the snow survival weekend she is in her snowcave freezing her ass off, literally her ass, after getting her all the right stuff she wore cotton panties under it all and froze!

This is huge, I think a lot of folks misunderstand the critical nature of a base layer
I swear by smartwool, others like synthetics

Just to see if I could I lived out of my BOB for two days traveling at night resting during the day above between 8000-9500 feet altitude, in the fall according to the zipper pull thermo it got down to 18 degrees. It was colder that I like but I made it just fine

I was wearing a smartwool baselayer+(including socks and glove liners) had a thinsulate bacalava and a Boulder gear Jacket and snow pants + wool cap

I am going to try and really test my gear when it gets below 0 actual temp this winter, I will take pics if the batteries work (even lithium's quit pretty easy 0 and below)

BTW I really like your setup
My BOB Setup

ETA: where do you put your pad (in loops on the bag or inside)
I really want a thermarest but don't want it external to the pack

ETA2: I just found the answer to my problem
www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=42&cID=1
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 2:50:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _RAGNAR_] [#46]

Originally Posted By vrwc0915:

I am going to try and really test my gear when it gets below 0 actual temp this winter, I will take pics if the batteries work (even lithium's quit pretty easy 0 and below)

My BOB Setup

try this one, even lighter and better R value  http://www.rei.com/product/750996

This one I could keep in the bottom of my bag even in the airport in case I have to sleep on the floor there. My foam pad is big an dhas to go outside my pack and in my carry on. It's super light but bulky.

I think your link to your BOB is wrong.

I also can't wait to try all my stuff in the cold next winter. I'm interested to know how little I can get away with.
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 3:00:59 AM EDT
[#47]

My BOB Setup

try this one, even lighter and better R value  http://www.rei.com/product/750996

This one I could keep in the bottom of my bag even in the airport in case I have to sleep on the floor there. My foam pad is big an dhas to go outside my pack and in my carry on. It's super light but bulky.
Thanks that looks perfect, A pad is a huge comfort item and could make the difference between waking up or being frozen

I also can't wait to try all my stuff in the cold next winter. I'm interested to know how little I can get away with.

After you make it back, it's fun during not so much

Fixed link:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=597860
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#48]

I just want to figure out a realistic way to do non-wilderness survival.

I hope you'd consider doing a thread on just that topic.  I can surmise what some of your plan is by the gear in your GHB, but I'd love to hear some detail on scenarios and tactics.  

IMHO, the biggest gap in our discussions here (and most surv forums I've seen) is a good discussion on practical (sub)urban survival.  Given that the majority of the population lives near urban seacoasts, it should be a very important topic.  Most of the gear, BOBs, kits, etc.  posted on here are basically solo camping stuff, not truly "get home" gear.  

Great thread Ragnar.
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Will do! I am going to make the poly pros a permanent part of the GHB and the T shirt will only get used in warm weather. The blended t shirt dry well for me while I am sweating in hot weather. Is there another kind of t shirt that I could add that would be more moisture wicking without being hot? I have a couple of tight fitting white Underarmor T's. I could get a sun burn right through them though. I even got some light weight underware that has not cotton in them. I will have poly pros on over them.

I knew about sleeping on a fire pit, but I hadn't thought about digging in to feel the coolness of the earth. Good idea. Thanks

I will have some more questions later.
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#50]

My BOB Setup

I like that pad. I could use it for my torso and brush for my legs if necessary.
Page / 14
My cross-country GHB (Page 2 of 14)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top