Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM

What Did You Do Today To Prep? (Page 49 of 50)

Previous Page
/ 50
Next Page
4/25/2008 2:23:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike-in-savannah][Edited] [#1]

Originally Posted By Mid-Tenn:
Found these in the dumpster at work next to the smokers area. I don't smoke but was talking to a coworker who does when I spotted these. A Dietz Air Pilot kerosene lantern and a Benzomatic single burner propane lantern with almost a full bottle of propane.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/Stew234/SF%20pics/IMGP1783.jpg

On the way home stopped by a convenience store for a drink and pack of gum and saw these stacked next to the register. Picked up eleven gallons of Coleman brand fuel at a store I seldom stop at.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/Stew234/SF%20pics/IMGP1767.jpg

Now look at the price.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/Stew234/SF%20pics/IMGP1782.jpg


1.79 a gallon. The manager actually thanked me for buying all of them just to get them out of her way.



Dang Mid-Ten,   You LUCKED UP,  that stuffs as high or higher than regular gas at the Wally World down here.  Some people are just stupid, throwing away (what appears to be) perfectly good equipment. Let us know when you get em workin.

ETA page 97 is mine.
4/25/2008 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
A good day:
went to Sam's today, in Charlottesville VA,
no shortages or crowds. Only rationing was,
no more than 200 pounds of rice per visit.

Enriched White Rice  100 lbs
Enriched White Flour  75 lbs
Salt  20 lbs
Dry Yeast  4 lbs
Baking Soda  12 lbs
Baking Powder  4 lbs
Granulated Sugar 75 lbs
Brown Sugar  7 lbs
Honey  5 lbs

10  6 Gallon Buckets and Lids/seals:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=20327&product%5Fid=9746

6 more  #10 Cans, Mountain House freeze dried food

L
4/25/2008 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Today I worked. But, for the past three months I have:

Picked up AR-15
XD 9 for the wife
working on an XD 40 for myself.

and Planning for ammo and food.

Getting BO BackPacks for the 5 kids and starting to outfit those (the kids are into gearing up their survival packs!!!!)

Stag
4/26/2008 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Talked to my wife this morning. She is finally starting to see what I have been talking about for months.

Three weeks ago she was stressed, asking how many guns do I need. Now we are talking about food, water, ammo, cooking, bugging, etc.

Not in questioning my foresight, but starting to see that we need to plan and stock up.

So I guess this is one of the biggest thing I have done today. I helped my wife see the urgency in prep for the future.

Stag
4/26/2008 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By StagPower:
Talked to my wife this morning. She is finally starting to see what I have been talking about for months.

Three weeks ago she was stressed, asking how many guns do I need. Now we are talking about food, water, ammo, cooking, bugging, etc.

Not in questioning my foresight, but starting to see that we need to plan and stock up.

So I guess this is one of the biggest thing I have done today. I helped my wife see the urgency in prep for the future.

Stag


I'm kind of in the same boat you are. My wife is finally starting to see the need to stock up on a few things. Living in an apartment makes it difficult for us due to space. However I told her to start picking up about $30 or so in canned goods each time she goes to the store, which she did today. So I've spent the last 2 hours cleaning out our pantry, throwing away expired items, and doing a little organization.
4/26/2008 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Bought 25lbs of rice and a bunch of pasta. Also got more powder and primers.
4/26/2008 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I prepared my plot for my vegetable garden.  I am going to plant tomatos, green beans, cucumbers and prob something other stuff.  I just got into gardening last year and I think knowing how to grow a vegtable garden is important knowledge that could be very useful in a SHTF situation.

I also dug out my tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad from the garage and cleaned them and put it in the back of my jeep in case I got to go somewere fast.  

Organized my jeep and created a vehicle bug out bag that includes about 1/2 what I think it should have but I am making progress.  

Yesterday I bought a brick of .22lr to add to the pile.

I also went target shooting with the AR yesterday to brush up my shooting.  ( I only shoot iron sights so it takes alot of practice)  while I was there I also shot my .22lr marlin bolt action.  
4/26/2008 9:44:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jwmoore][Edited] [#8]

Rice, pasta, salt, sugar.
4/26/2008 11:12:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: odontia32m][Edited] [#9]
Finished planting.

Re-run 200 foot of water line to the well .  I am on city water but I water the garden with the well and have a back up if the city water goes out.

Bought a shit load of food.
Militant RN
4/26/2008 11:18:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1179][Edited] [#10]
Picked up my ruger 10/22 carbine today from bass pro. i had order it when they had the 159.99 sell last week.

also got 40lbs of rice.

Also i worked for about 3 hours in the garden today. should be able to finish my planting tommorow.  could not have done this with out you guys
4/27/2008 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Got 4 cases of Mountain House

also got 1K XM193
4/27/2008 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#12]
last night i packaged the following in the mylar 02 absorber 5 gal standard,

100lbs rice
50lbs salt
25lbs sugar

Slept really well last night!
4/27/2008 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Acquired and repacked 50lbs of sugar.

Operationally checked my radiac meter (.2 micro-grays = nuthin' hinky goin' on).
"Do you need to be told that even such modest attainments as you can boast in the way of polite society will hardly survive the Faith to which they owe their significance?" T.S. Eliot
4/27/2008 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Finally finished the First-Aid box:



L
4/27/2008 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I was working my Jeep/BOV, took MrsWind's Jeep/BOV out on a run in the mud. It did real well, especially for  4 banger with 21K miles on it. Today it get the spa treatment, Oil, clean out the fuel system, and other maintence.
Mine needs one little part to be back on the road. Got 25 tons of topsoil delivered. some goes to the garden, some to the lawn to be.
Made 181 KWHs of electricity, cloudy today, but in less than a week, I am about 40% of a months electricity made.
Homeland Security is the American People

You can't see the wind can you? ....But you can feel it and feel it's effects all around you correct? 1GunRunner

كافر

Eric the Hun Rest in Peace
4/27/2008 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#16]
maxed out Roth IRA's

soon not eligible
4/27/2008 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Worked on Chicken coop. Reloaded a few rounds. Educated myself on food storage from youtube. What a shot in the arm.
4/27/2008 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Got my garden plowed today. I'll put the roto=tiller on tomorrow and work in some fertilizer.
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway"--John Wayne
4/27/2008 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought 9 more chickens.
Militant RN
4/27/2008 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By Mr-L:
Finally finished the First-Aid box:

71.62.156.60:8089/first_aid3.jpg

L


Mr-L......Please tell us a little more about your first aid box. Did you purchase the individual units already made up or did you put them together yourself? Where did you purchase them or the supplies to make them?

Thanks for any info you can give.

smitty
4/27/2008 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By odontia32m:
Bought 9 more chickens.


Hatched more chicks in my $2.98 incubator!
And wife and kids REALLY got it done in the gardens while I was working.
4/27/2008 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I upset my wife by going shopping with here again.

I say upset because I always spend 2 to 3 times as much as she does on a trip and it always takes her a long time to re-arrange stuff to make room for what I buy even after I have pulled out the long-term storage stuff headed for its designated area.

Probably the neatest thing I noticed today was the major increase in products available now in Mylar packaging.  They tended to be a little more expensive than other products packaged more conventionally but I have little doubt it will add greatly to their shelf life.  Of those products, two really were good finds, shelf stable fish steaks, and though a little expensive biscuit mix.  

Anyway, I was pretty pleased to see more options in shelf stable products and better packaging.

This was at Krogers.

Tj  
"We prepare so we don't have to go to the Superdome!"
4/27/2008 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Over the past few weeks:  

Spread manure on the garden
Put in another 8" of blown insulation in the attic (this was surprisingly cheap)
Bucketed up some more wheat and morning moo's
Rearranged the food preps

... and went fishing for a couple of days...
4/27/2008 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Yesterday, spread some Sevin on the ground around my tomatos and cabbage. then mulched around them with last falls leaf crop. Spread some "pasture mix" seed on some of the ground that I burned off last week. Got to get my horse moved.

Last night, bought a used, upright (frost free) freezer at an auction that I try to frequent, for $125 Garanteed. Now I have to get  a neighbor to start fattening up another hog for me, and see if I can I can find a half or quarter beef somewhere.

Today, went to church.  With the way things are now days, it's always good to stay in touch with The Man Upstairs.  This afternoon, took the wife to a fabric store about 40 miles away to pick up some fabric she had ordered.  She is a pharmacy tech but also a very talented seamstress.  She has been making scrub tops/jackets for staff at our hospital, and now has orders for over twenty. (Can you say nice second income for her?) Then we stopped by Sams and picked up and extra bag of Dog Chow for the 12 legged alarm system. Also a 12 pak of that chaffing dish, safeheat/sterno stuff. (6 hr burn time per can)

Got home and cleaned off a place on the carport to put the (new) freezer. Straightened and arranged a few more things outside.
4/27/2008 11:32:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Argon3][Edited] [#25]
Added 20 lbs of rice is closet , but still need to get it prepped for long term storage.
Located week supply of prped food figured out when it can be purchased. Got 2 water purifing straws for BOBs. And partially completed Small/medium survival kits. I have them 90% but still fine tuning.  
BIg finger edit
4/28/2008 12:29:04 AM EDT
[#26]
ordered 5 tray rats to try out
ordered 12 mre entres
swaped a 22 for a needed scope.
4/28/2008 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Cleaned checked all guns
Went to sams/costco
2 pk of the led lights 29.99 nice
Flour 2 25 # 1 for us 1 for Parents
Baking soda
yeast
50# sugar
Mega pack vitamins
Got to figure out how to use the above stuff in cooking
Added the the Rice histeria Bought the limit,  Just speeding up the predetermined amount needed/wanted.  
Planted 2 apple trees and
up to 8 varied grapes/berries in ground
reaserching gas storage tanks,  and suppliers
did some training with the 4 legged security
Read AR15
4/28/2008 5:07:30 AM EDT
[#28]
trained with my scoped rifles this week.  
picked up 60 pounds of rice and 25 pounds of beans.
a Costco  run to top off my ref and shelves.
worked out.
read.
buying a wood stove and clearing some trees off my property.
garden goes in when the snow goes.
salmon and halibut fishing in the next couple months.
Divided We All Fall
4/28/2008 5:27:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Purchased 8lbs of coffee beans from Costco. (They had lots of rice but I already have plenty)

Purchased 200 rounds 9mm and 1100 rounds of .22 from WalMart.
Everyone comes naked from their mother's womb, and as everyone comes, so they depart.

The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong....but time and chance happen to them all.
4/28/2008 8:19:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dave15][Edited] [#30]
Stumbled into a deal where I can get a few free "heritage" hogs, under the terms that I breed mine back and pass on a couple of the offspring, in an attempt to keep the old breeds alive. Not sure what breeds they have, but meeting with the lady tonight. I know they are the "pre-lard" breeds, so we'll see.

She also mentioned giving me some old breed eggs to hatch as well.

And wound up with quite a few hundred feet of used 6' chain link fence for FREE!
AND, my brother has a Ditch witch at his shop that we need to test.  

ETA:
Just "prespent" some of my anticipated fur check (waiting on the May NAFA auction)  on more snare cable,locks,swivels and traps. As a trapping buddy of mine always says, "We may eat weird, but we're gonna eat". And until that time, my fur check gives me more toy and prep money.
4/28/2008 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Fired up the vacuum packer for the first time.  packed 25lbs of sugar and 25lbs of rice.  went real smooth and easy, we now have easy pre-portioned packs that will last a heckuva long time, and much easier for the wife to lift than those heavy costco bags

I see more rice getting bagged in the near future, along with flour and sugar, and any other dry good such as beans.  I just need a place to put it all now.
4/29/2008 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#32]
1000 rounds of 55gr sp .223 from www.georgia-arms.com

4/29/2008 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By SmittyMOjoe:

Originally Posted By Mr-L:
Finally finished the First-Aid box:

71.62.156.60:8089/first_aid3.jpg

L


Mr-L......Please tell us a little more about your first aid box. Did you purchase the individual units already made up or did you put them together yourself? Where did you purchase them or the supplies to make them?

Thanks for any info you can give.

smitty


I'll try to take a better picture.

I gathered all the items myself,
most came from drugstores and the Internet,
I can post links if your interested.

What went into the box comes from
experience and picking through
my old First Aid FMs
from my days in uniform.

I was in a unit of what can only
be described as a battalion of
Airborne retards. They were brave as hell,
and they would fight, but God bless'm, we were
idiots.  Any injury you could think of
we had to deal with. We had good medics,
and they would always tell us,
“next time this happens....”

I tried to pack up the same sort
of things they carried, to deal with
burns, bleeding, and pointy things
where they don't belong.

L
4/29/2008 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By Mr-L:

Originally Posted By SmittyMOjoe:

Originally Posted By Mr-L:
Finally finished the First-Aid box:

71.62.156.60:8089/first_aid3.jpg

L


Mr-L......Please tell us a little more about your first aid box. Did you purchase the individual units already made up or did you put them together yourself? Where did you purchase them or the supplies to make them?

Thanks for any info you can give.

smitty

I'll try to take a better picture.

L


A better picture:
4/29/2008 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#35]
VERY nice set up Mr L, i will be consulting that for reference.

This week for me:

10# rice
bulk pack of stike anywhere's
finished putting together my "newest" (used) 870
1100 rds .22lr
picked up a DPMS complete lower
4/29/2008 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I didn't add to the rice panic buying instead i bought 40 cans of Mandarin oranges
I only use my guns when kindness fails

SWT

I hope the zombies carry taurus

I'd lick the dirt off that just to get to it

Naaa U ain't hardass8 i was there
4/29/2008 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Got potatoes, yup hit BJs and got a case of canned new potatoes,  Then boxes of mashed potatoes. For Unrushed dinners we use real potatoes, But for quick dinners, are rushed alot of  nights. Also pasta, angel hair a case of that. Meat and Potatoes one night, the next Pasta and gravy.
We are ordering stuff to get our Jeeps running better, 2 BOVs, we took MrsWind's Jeep in the woods last Saturday, it is now covered with mud, only stuck once and that is a deep mud hole. My Jeep has all the recovery equipment on it.
Picked up some 2x4s to frame out a new pantry in the basement.
Homeland Security is the American People

You can't see the wind can you? ....But you can feel it and feel it's effects all around you correct? 1GunRunner

كافر

Eric the Hun Rest in Peace
4/29/2008 8:45:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarthZeth][Edited] [#38]
After about 6 months of being a bum, I started exercising again.

-DarthZeth
survivalistwiki.com
4/29/2008 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#39]
20 lbs rice
10 pounds sugar
few cans
550 remington .22
2 one lb propanes
went shooting witha buddy practiced out to 300 off hand with ar's (man I need more practice)
4/30/2008 12:48:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Purchased some canning lids, 550 rounds of 22;r rem gold dots, and 150 12 gauge game loads.
Dear sanhta, pwease, for my twigger hapy friend, can yous git him huuked on phonix for kristmass?-Petagunner
www.sigarms.com/apps/cmt/img/sg-552-2-p-large.jpg
Support our troops. Don't fuck their cheating wives. Demordrah
4/30/2008 12:50:10 AM EDT
[#41]
put my AR together
4/30/2008 1:32:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Spent about 12 hours building a platform for four 55 gal. drums, rotating and reloading gasoline stock.

Fuel purchase 115 gallons @ 3.559 = 410 bucks.

Sent the wifey out to stock up on canned goods, OTC meds, and gas stabilizer.

My partner ordered mylar and O2 absorbers today ... we're goin' halves... it'll be vacuum sealer time soon.

still need to stock up on whiskey / booze ...

4/30/2008 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#43]
A little fine tuning of the BOB's & GHB's.

I cut some Scotch Bright pads in to 1.5"x6" strips & put one in each bag.  Handy stuff & doesnt' break down like sand paper when wet.
4/30/2008 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#44]
My twelve year old daughter and I spent about two hours together putting up wheat, flour, salt, and rice in mylar bags and 5 gallon buckets. It was great spending time with her discussing why we prep...
4/30/2008 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Bought 500 more rounds of 5.56.  Am heavily considering learning to / buying a reloading set up.  Seems like a good skill to learn and I would imagie would save me some cash...
5/1/2008 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Purchased gen 1 night vision link. I only bought one unit for $299.00 to test it, as everyone here is always down talking gen 1. But I am very pleased with it, so much that I bought a second unit. The second unit was cheaper because the first unit came with a coupon.
5/1/2008 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By ddrongowski:
Purchased gen 1 night vision link. I only bought one unit for $299.00 to test it, as everyone here is always down talking gen 1. But I am very pleased with it, so much that I bought a second unit. The second unit was cheaper because the first unit came with a coupon.


what was the discount with the coupon, if you dont mind me asking?

thanks
5/1/2008 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By loon_138:

Originally Posted By ddrongowski:
Purchased gen 1 night vision link. I only bought one unit for $299.00 to test it, as everyone here is always down talking gen 1. But I am very pleased with it, so much that I bought a second unit. The second unit was cheaper because the first unit came with a coupon.


what was the discount with the coupon, if you dont mind me asking?

thanks


5% made the total price ~$285.00. I did a review and on my next order I get 10% off any order over $50.00
5/2/2008 1:14:25 AM EDT
[#49]
I had 25 lbs of rice in the deep freeze for a week.  Took it out yesterday.  Today I broke it into 1 gallon zip lock bags and then placed those in a vacuum seal bag and sealed it.  The double bag should keep the rice from poking through. I have another 50 lb bag in the freezer - will do it in a few days.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin 1755
5/2/2008 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By azsavage:
I had 25 lbs of rice in the deep freeze for a week.  Took it out yesterday.  Today I broke it into 1 gallon zip lock bags and then placed those in a vacuum seal bag and sealed it.  The double bag should keep the rice from poking through. I have another 50 lb bag in the freezer - will do it in a few days.


good plan.... I just put 25 pounds into snack size ziplocs then into foodsaver bags and sealed. 2 cups fit nicely, then put directions for cooking the package on the outside of each bag.....(note to self get stickers..) writers cramp bad...


Pilk
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it."

Thomas Paine, sept, 11, 1777

Proud Member of "Ranstad's Militia" - The Fantastic Bastards!

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 50
Next Page

What Did You Do Today To Prep? (Page 49 of 50)