Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Does anyone have specifications for the bracing supports? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a really cool build.  I might have missed it, but did you cover HVAC or ventilation (other than the one vent you mentioned)?  

The whole build is rather impressive!
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By Cyclic:
Would you mind getting some prices on those containers?
 Got 2 insulated 20' containers just north of Waco. 2200 delivered 50 miles. Ken
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I looked at this post since I had no clue what it was about.

To my surprise, I've found my man room design.

My only changes will be to pour a foundation with a secret room under one of the containers and paint it with the same material used in bedliners.

Great idea to thr OP!
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 12:50:13 AM EDT
[#6]
i agree with all of you,  that is awesome....
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 1:34:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mick214] [#7]
Very nice set up.....you do nice work. It has given me some ideas for storing my ATV's out on the ranch.....

Link Posted: 1/14/2008 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Windjammer223:

Originally Posted By Cyclic:
Would you mind getting some prices on those containers?
 Got 2 insulated 20' containers just north of Waco. 2200 delivered 50 miles. Ken

I assume thats each?
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Man, you have really hit one out of the park. Excellent job.

I have also seen the shipping containers converted into offices, some even come with power supply, I've always thought that it would make a great cheap cabin/second home on some remote land.

Genny+solar+battery bank+composting toilet+well= awesome retreat.

Link Posted: 1/14/2008 10:49:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 96Ag] [#10]

Originally Posted By charger0122:
where i work we have bins made of these they are 2x2x6 and they costed about $35 each if i were going to bury a container id dig it out pour a slab then line the walls with these put my container in and have a water proofer cover the cotainer in hot tar.dont know what i would do about the roof still thinking on that one but you would have 2 ft thick walls of concrete.and you can place them with a bobcat and a chain.
i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/spaceghost1/120707_08481.jpg

What are those called and where do you get them? That would solve some issues at our company yard.

96Ag
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By 96Ag:

where i work we have bins made of these they are 2x2x6 and they costed about $35 each if i were going to bury a container id dig it out pour a slab then line the walls with these put my container in and have a water proofer cover the cotainer in hot tar.dont know what i would do about the roof still thinking on that one but you would have 2 ft thick walls of concrete.and you can place them with a bobcat and a chain.

What are those called and where do you get them? That would solve some issues at our company yard.

96Ag

+1.  Plus does anyone know how high you can stack them safely?
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#12]
My man room....

I've sent out quotes for the "basement" for the man room.  In the area an average house basement is 20 to 25 K so this should be alot less. I'm going to get prices to dig a basement for either the 8 by 20 or 8 by 40 foot units.  One narrow end will be a walkout door on the hill.  I'm going to place concrete planks over the top of the basement and grout it to seal it up.  Then secure the unit on top of that. From the unit above I will have a "stair ladder" to gain access to the basement.  I like the OP's idea and will copy it. I'm playing with the idea to spray bed liner on the top to seal it up or a membrane roof cover.  

Interior will be wood floors.  I'm going to use metal studs for the interior walls and use a corn based spray foam to seal it up tight and keep it warm.  For heat it will have a small wood stove and electic heat and window ac.  I have some ideas to hide the hatch to the basement and will build a deck over the basement walkout to hide it

I'm going to make it my home office /guest room to free up space at the house.   the basement will be my Man Room.  I'm checking to see if I can add a bathroom and hook up to my septic system.

Wife told me she could paint the exterior to help it blend in the wooded area of the back yard.  Plant a few trees bushes and it will be difficult to see from the other homes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Everytime this thread pops back up , I'm reminded all I have is a steel box. You've done a great job on those.
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Merlin:

96Ag

Anybody have an answer?
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 5:14:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: militantzero] [#15]

96Ag

Anybody have an answer?

I've done numerous boarding and searches on cargo ships where these are stacked 7 or 8 high.They stack them so high that we have to rappel down to search them all.They are very sturdy.I actually went to a military school for some CQB training,and they actually made the facility out of these "conex" boxes,stacked 5 high,2 wide,and 3 deep.Obviously heavily modified inside,but just regular navy gray on the outside.

I have a buddy that buried one in a hill on his property,he had the entire outside rhino lined to weatherproof it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By longbow5:

My only changes will be to pour a foundation with a secret room under one of the containers and paint it with the same material used in bedliners.

That's immediately what I thought of, Rhino-Liner the entire thing. Apparently it's explosion-proof to some degree.  It would prevent corrosion as well.

GREAT JOB!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#18]
HOLY SH#T, why has this post not been STICKYED? The post is darn near a how to, a great post, and a good job on that bunker Maroman!
Link Posted: 1/24/2008 2:46:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben] [#19]
Gotta tag this.

ETA I wonder if I could fit my Land Rover inside one of these???

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/25/2008 3:08:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I just love what you have done, here....
Link Posted: 1/25/2008 3:25:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kyoami] [#21]

Ecology blocks. Any concrete plant that sends trucks out; they make them when a truck comes back with concrete.

Plus does anyone know how high you can stack them safely?

They interlock, so you can stack them fairly high. I've seen the stacked 10 high with cross-bracing consisting of other blocks.

the people asking about the concrete blocks: they are called "ecology blocks". they're poured at the end of the day with whatever leftover concrete the trucks have. The prices are usually $35-$50 + delivery. Any concrete plant should have stacks of them for sale.

find the closest plant, since shipping will be the majority of the cost.
Link Posted: 1/25/2008 7:05:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawkeye] [#22]
Link Posted: 1/25/2008 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#23]
tagged for more pics
Link Posted: 1/25/2008 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By RyJones:

Ecology blocks. Any concrete plant that sends trucks out; they make them when a truck comes back with concrete.

They interlock, so you can stack them fairly high. I've seen the stacked 10 high with cross-bracing consisting of other blocks.

the people asking about the concrete blocks: they are called "ecology blocks". they're poured at the end of the day with whatever leftover concrete the trucks have. The prices are usually $35-$50 + delivery. Any concrete plant should have stacks of them for sale.

Cool, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2008 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Cool, thanks.

They are also called "mafia blocks".
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 12:40:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: odontia32m] [#26]
btt, we need a sticky TJ or Waldo!
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 5:10:38 AM EDT
[#27]
okay, my parents just got 130 acres, we have started a house/shop for them and I think I found this thread way too late.  They currently have 2x 20' crates and 1 40' crate which they are currently using for storage.  

I thought, 130 acres, they want me to built out there, I need some walls (ecoblocks look perfect) a tower (still looking for good plans, my sister is an architect, so hopefully she can help and some ideas for strong rooms, tunnels and secret passage ways.  All the cool anti zombie/commie stuff.  This thread is totally getting bookmarked.  Not to find some tower and perimter wall threads...

What ever happened to the thread one building gun/strong rooms?
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#28]
As far as the above poster "tower" idea goes...google "fire-tower" and you will find some cool ideas.  Between having two of the 40' as sides and two 20' as the bottom in a square  shaped configuration with a tower in the middle could win the cool ARFcomer project of the year.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2008 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Good stuff!  I like the idea of surrounding the container with those blocks.

--Scott

Link Posted: 2/25/2008 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#30]
that is awesome.  I totally have some homework tonight...

Did I miss where the dimensions of those awesome concrete blocks?  

Do you think it would be safe to stack them higher than 5 high if you had an earth berm backing them?  Trying to figure out how to get about a 10' high wall.  

Who here has seen the walls of central/south america?  Broken glass bottles mortared to the  top?  Always liked that...  
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#31]
this thread is full of win
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Building with containers is starting to become more popular. Look at the link below, Bob Vila even did a segment on building houses out of 4 containers.

Bob Vila Container Video
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I think we need a tack with all the bad azz house/bunkers/gunrooms that people have built.  Lots of good ideas.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#34]
damn straight.  My parents just got land, and I got the invite to build whatever I wanted out there, so I think centralizing this sort of thing would be great.  Now to learn how to weld so my dad doesn't have to do it all...  

And surprisingly, my wife is down for all this so far...  

I wonder if digging out a hole 1/2-3/4 the depth of the container, putting it in there and then putting some eco blocks up the remaining sides wouldn't help from high wind and help the temp some...  A roof would be the only thing I can't figure out how I would want done.  

I think using 3-4 of these, maybe some trench/tunnels, a tower and a good perimeter wall would be the cat's ass.  A moat, i mean, tank for fishing and cows to drink out of surrounding it couldn't hurt.  I didn't think zombies could swim...
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I have an update in the works. The "bunker" is getting some alternative energy in the form of solar panels and a wind generator.
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By Maroman:
I have an update in the works. The "bunker" is getting some alternative energy in the form of solar panels and a wind generator.

I would be very interested in getting some more detailed info on this project from you.

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By Hawkeye:

Originally Posted By RyJones:

They are called Bunker Blocks around here.

We stack them about 4 high. I wouldnt feel comfortable with them any higher than 5.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Bunkerblock6.jpg

Excellent info, both of you!

I notice that they come in half length also, which means that you can make walls with an even endge.

Dimensions and typical weight?

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#38]
this is a great thread.....need to get me one...
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 10:59:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TimJ] [#39]
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#40]
any idead what those eco blocks weigh?  Bump for more pictures.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#41]

nice job maroman.  definitely would like to see picks of your wind generator setup.  also, pics of the listeroid would be appreciate, been looking at one of those for a long time.

my wife and i have been considering using a container as a small barn for the back part of our property.  

lol @ timj
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Awesome
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Here is a teaser. This thing is huge! It is 500 watt 24 volt unit. I have a lot of other projects around the property that have to finished before spring. It will be 6 more weeks till I get to it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:29:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Man I gotta see this.  More please.

Bob
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Here is a teaser. This thing is huge! It is 500 watt 24 volt unit. I have a lot of other projects around the property that have to finished before spring. It will be 6 more weeks till I get to it.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Maroman/Picture019.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Maroman/Picture018.jpg

Link Posted: 3/4/2008 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#47]
okay, where can I find more info on that wind generator.  

I swear, this thread is driving me crazy.  I am so interested, there are 2 pics and then it will be weeks before I get to see more.  I feel like I am dating some girl 2 towns away or something....  
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By coconut1:
okay, where can I find more info on that wind generator.  

I swear, this thread is driving me crazy.  I am so interested, there are 2 pics and then it will be weeks before I get to see more.  I feel like I am dating some girl 2 towns away or something....  

Link Posted: 3/5/2008 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#49]
I cant wait to see more of your project. I have been eye balling this thread for a while now.
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top