Site Notices
Kayaks (Page 7 of 7)
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 2:02:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tooly:
What's a good trailer to pull a pro angler?
I'm about ready for the yak.
View Quote
Don't know what TX has for trailer laws (pa sucks in this regard) but I've seen guys go the way of converting jetski trailers, harbor freight trailers, or other utility trailers. Malone makes decent trailers ready to go.

FWIW, I throw my PA12 in the bed of my frontier and use a bed extender.  Have driven from PA to LA and back without issue.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 6:07:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tooly] [#2]
Originally Posted By mercinarysniper:
Don't know what TX has for trailer laws (pa sucks in this regard) but I've seen guys go the way of converting jetski trailers, harbor freight trailers, or other utility trailers. Malone makes decent trailers ready to go.

FWIW, I throw my PA12 in the bed of my frontier and use a bed extender.  Have driven from PA to LA and back without issue.
View Quote

Yeah...but I have a honda accord.
So I won't be able to do that.
How ya like your yak? I called today a place and they want a hair under 6k for the 22 PA 14. I wish I was a little guy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By grimhollow:
This is a video from November, of my best day fishing a buzzbait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN6AIMQ0icA
View Quote

Nice!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Yeah...but I have a honda accord.
So I won't be able to do that.
How ya like your yak? I called today a place and they want a hair under 6k for the 22 PA 14. I wish I was a little guy.
View Quote
How big are ya? You're driving an accord... can't be that big, right?  

Mine? I love it. Big step up from my Prowler BG2. I do a lot of drift fishing and having the pedal drive makes it so much easier. Gives me more time to focus on fishing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:18:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mercinarysniper:
How big are ya? You're driving an accord... can't be that big, right?  

Mine? I love it. Big step up from my Prowler BG2. I do a lot of drift fishing and having the pedal drive makes it so much easier. Gives me more time to focus on fishing.
View Quote

6'2 , 300lbs...trying to lose weight.
Son is waiting for me to get one and also want to get a yak for the wife.

One of the issues is if it's bad to tighten up a yak on a trailer when it's hot out....how the hell do I secure it down? I'm in texas...its hot alot!
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]

6'2 , 300lbs...trying to lose weight.
Son is waiting for me to get one and also want to get a yak for the wife.

One of the issues is if it's bad to tighten up a yak on a trailer when it's hot out....how the hell do I secure it down? I'm in texas...its hot alot!
View Quote

6'2 300? You're ok for a PA12. My BG2 is also fine for you. If you want a pedal drive, most of the ones on the market will be able to handle your weight. With your height, you'll have to find one with enough leg adjustment. Again, with that, you should be fine. I have a buddy I fish with and he's bigger than you are in an Eddyline C135 (discontinued now) but there's ample room for him. Honestly, go fine a local store that does demos and see how you feel in different yaks.

It's bad to OVERtighten the yak while on the trailer. There's a fine point where it's snug vs tight. Shoot for snug. The biggest issue is when most people use ratchet straps and overtighten the straps. Down in your area, don't leave the yak on a trailer with the sun pounding down on it while the straps are tight. Leaving the straps tight on a plastic boat while in the hot Texas sun for long periods of time will lead to hull distortion. If you've got the kayak strapped down while going to or from wherever you're using the boat, you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#7]
What's the cheapest decent kayak for fishing you can buy?

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

View Quote

My daughter uses a $379.00 model from Academy. Her boyfriend has a ten foot pelican he bought for $299.00. I assume that the $199.00 Walmart yaks would catch fish but they might not be comfortable. My wife and I use a base buggy with a trolling motor. She’s not a good swimmer and kayak’s scare her. She went on a river trip down Little river with my daughter and allowed she wasn’t trading her bass buggy. Look at the bottom if it has molded runners vs a smooth bottom it will be a little more stable.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:53:50 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
That depends. Where are you going to use it? Lakes? Rivers? Ocean? What's "cheap" for you? Do you want to paddle or pedal  or would you like to mount a motor? What kind of seat do you want, cushion style or lawn chair style? Are you looking for a sit-in or a sit-on? What's the size of the user?

Without the answers to questions like that I will say this: any kayak can be used to catch fish. ANY kayak that can get you out on the water safely can be used to catch fish. Some are more comfortable, some are more efficient, and some offer you enough comfort to stay out longer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:57:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: weagle] [#10]
I have been 100% satisfied with my Pelican Catch Kayaks.  They are on the more affordable end of fishing Kayaks.  I've set 2 Chattahoochee River records form my Pelicans"

Chattahoochee Record Carp on a fly rod.

Chattahoochee River Large mouth Bass

I've been beating them hard for 4 years and they are tough, stable, comfortable and very light compared to the rotomolded kayaks.  I think the laminated hull is a better mousetrap.  Lighter and stronger.

If I could only own 1 fishing Kayak it would be a Pelican catch 100.  About $600 retail.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Something with a comfortable stadium type removable chair. Provides comfort, ventilation, back support and prevents swamp ass for hours.

My personal favorite after weight cost is the Perception Pescador Pro 120. Bought one years ago after they first came out. It proved to be my favorite in my stable. Used it so much fishing rocky creeks that i literally wore a week spot in the hull. (I wade drag boats fishing shallow creeks) I immediately bought another to replace that dead horse.

Here is the new one. Best price i found was $825 at a local kayak outfitter.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Flysc:

Something with a comfortable stadium type removable chair. Provides comfort, ventilation, back support and prevents swamp ass for hours.

My personal favorite after weight cost is the Perception Pescador Pro 120. Bought one years ago after they first came out. It proved to be my favorite in my stable. Used it so much fishing rocky creeks that i literally wore a week spot in the hull. (I wade drag boats fishing shallow creeks) I immediately bought another to replace that dead horse.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/413035/20200815_145625_jpg-2520339.JPG

View Quote

Nice!!
I've had my eye on one of those.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 5:28:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SchizoPathica:

Nice!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SchizoPathica:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/413035/20200815_145625_jpg-2520339.JPG

Nice!!

In my photo, the other boat, next to my friend, is an excellent creek/all around boat, also. It is the Wilderness Ride 115. Wilderness discontinued that Ride line several years back, but they do come up for sale used on occasion. I have the bigger version, the Ride 135, but that is my big water/saltwater kayak. I've tried for about two years to buy that one pictured beside my Pescador, but he won't sell it.

The last used Ride 115 i saw sold for $850. I think that is more than they went for new.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 5:16:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tucansam] [#14]
I hope I don't catch too much hell for this.

I don't want a kayak for fishing, I want one for cardio and strength training, plus rowing to the other side of a lake and having a picnic, or glassing for deer, or even setting up a tent for a one night stay away from humans.  

I've been in (sit-in types) a kayak three or four times now, for many long hours each, rowing the entire outline of the various lakes I've visited where I've rented, and the serenity provided by a day like that is difficult to put into words.

So I need to buy one.  But the google machine keeps telling me sit-on versions are best.  I know I want some dry storage, and I know I want enough cargo room for a small (very small) amount of camping gear -- enough for a day on the opposite bank or a one night stay, tops.  Or lunch and a tripod and a spotting scope.  

The google machine also says I should not skimp on a paddle.  But first I need a kayak.  But I'll also need a paddle.  And I've only ever used the cheap comes-with-the-rented-boat-and-sucks types.

Sit-in or sit-on?  I may be leaning toward the latter, but I've no experience with them, just basing on internet lore and recommendation by those smarter than me.  How long?  How wide?  What should the bottom look like?

Tractor Supply sells some that offer much of what I want, and at a new-to-kayaks price ($300-500).  I see $2800 and $6600 kayaks on craigslist.  I'm sure they're Caddys.  I also know that I don't need a Caddy.

If I told you that I wanted a meditative experience on a (mostly calm) lake, in a comfortable kayak in which I could comfortably spend several hours at a time without having to get out and stretch, with money set aside for a life vest and a good paddle, and I wanted the whole shebang to run me $400-600 out the door, what would you recommend?

My town has walmarts, an REI I think, Tractor Supply, and maybe others.  Probably others.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tucansam:

I don't want a kayak for fishing, I want one for cardio and strength training, plus rowing to the other side of a lake and having a picnic, or glassing for deer, or even setting up a tent for a one night stay away from humans.  

I've been in (sit-in types) a kayak three or four times now, for many long hours each, rowing the entire outline of the various lakes I've visited where I've rented, and the serenity provided by a day like that is difficult to put into words.

So I need to buy one.  But the google machine keeps telling me sit-on versions are best.  I know I want some dry storage, and I know I want enough cargo room for a small (very small) amount of camping gear -- enough for a day on the opposite bank or a one night stay, tops.  Or lunch and a tripod and a spotting scope.  

The google machine also says I should not skimp on a paddle.  But first I need a kayak.  But I'll also need a paddle.  And I've only ever used the cheap comes-with-the-rented-boat-and-sucks types.

Sit-in or sit-on?  I may be leaning toward the latter, but I've no experience with them, just basing on internet lore and recommendation by those smarter than me.  How long?  How wide?  What should the bottom look like?

Tractor Supply sells some that offer much of what I want, and at a new-to-kayaks price ($300-500).  I see $2800 and $6600 kayaks on craigslist.  I'm sure they're Caddys.  I also know that I don't need a Caddy.

If I told you that I wanted a meditative experience on a (mostly calm) lake, in a comfortable kayak in which I could comfortably spend several hours at a time without having to get out and stretch, with money set aside for a life vest and a good paddle, and I wanted the whole shebang to run me $400-600 out the door, what would you recommend?

My town has walmarts, an REI I think, Tractor Supply, and maybe others.  Probably others.  

Thanks.
View Quote

A buddy and his wife wanted a pair for the exact same reasons. Well they got a couple and liked them alright. Then an aging neighbor gave them a nice aluminum canoe with decent seats. They loved it last year they both tagged out bow and muzzle loader season. This year she tagged out but her husband got picky and is still hunting. They have a couple of kids that also makes the canoe a little bit better. If you watch sales sometimes you can find a canoe really cheap. I would try one of those cheap Academy yaks with a decent seat. The seats I think make or break how you enjoy them.

Plus the canoe would be a little better workout and haul more equipment. You wouldn’t believe some of the hunting opportunities around area lakes. Especially early bow season.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Kind of kayak fishing?

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By tucansam:

Thanks.
View Quote

I am no expert and just started kayaking about 2 years ago. I only paddle and fish - no whitewater.

I've been told get at least 11' if not longer - shorter boats wont track straight as well as longer ones.

Sit In Kayak = SINK

So get sit-on

Do not get anything with a visible seam. over time it will split.

I currently own a Crescent Lite Tackle. It weighs somewhere around 70lbs and rides on my '88 S-10 Blazer roof well. I'm currently shopping for a Crescent CK1 as its a little smaller and lighter.

The Lite Tackle is rated at 450lbs. Thats a LOT of weight and pretty much perfect if I want to do some river camping. Lots of midrange to upper priced kayaks are similar.

The Lite Tackle is also built to support a small motor if you want. I dont. Not trying to push Crescent, just giving my experience with what I have.

I also have a Walmart Lifetime kayak. Its fine for what it is, but the seat fell apart pretty much immediately. Paddling without a seat or with a makeshift one is painful on your back big time.

Without researching I went out and bought the cheapest paddles I could find. That was a mistake. Paddles are based on your height and shorter ones for taller people suck. I dont have one of the silly expensive paddles, but the ones I have are still a little steep for my budget. But you're gonna want something for your size, so you'll have to pay for it.

I plan on taking mine out on the Tennessee River next weekend. I havent paddled anything with a current so it'll be good lesson.

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:38:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cancard] [#18]
Bought two kayaks this year for the sole purpose of fishing.

Perception Pescador 12 Pro.  It’s specifically designed for fishing with recreation second.  About $900.

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120.  It’s specificity designed for recreation with fishing second.  About $1,200.

Both are roto-molded and manufactured by Confluence Outdoor.

My only bitch is it’s difficult to get the Pescador on top of the car as the handles are molded in.  It’s slick and you don’t get a good grip.  This isn’t exactly a light kayak either.

If I had to do it all over again I would have purchased two Tarpon 120’s.  While designed primarily for recreation, they do make great fishing kayaks.

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By cancard:

Perception Pescador 12 Pro.  It’s specifically designed for fishing with recreation second.  About $900.

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120.  It’s specificity designed for recreation with fishing second.  About $1,200.

My only bitch is it’s difficult to get the Pescador on top of the car as the handles are molded in.  It’s slick and you don’t get a good grip.  This isn’t exactly a light kayak either.

If I had to do it all over again I would have purchased two Tarpon 120’s.  While designed primarily for recreation, they do make great fishing kayaks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/474231/36783D8E-8F48-462B-BEC4-431DFAB4F509-2839354.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/474231/8D132EF3-2B02-4F0E-870D-A3DB682280F5-2839355.jpg
View Quote

Sounds like you need to build a kayak trailer. I seen one at Academy that was awesome and forgot to take a picture. It had locked boxes with a cantilevered way to host the kayak’s above the boxes.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#20]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/474231/36783D8E-8F48-462B-BEC4-431DFAB4F509-2839354.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/474231/8D132EF3-2B02-4F0E-870D-A3DB682280F5-2839355.jpg
View Quote

For trailers, I have a Yakima Rack&Roll trailer that has served me really well.  I use PVC bunks which I can reconfigure quickly for 1 boat or 2 so that I can transport them rigged and ready.  The only complaint with trailering kayaks is that it will limit where you can park/launch from.

Another option is the Hullavator.  I have a pair of them and it makes car topping a lot easier.  Once you find the right way to lift it into the cradle, you're set.

A final option is to order handles... the type that you'd use to pull a car door shut.. and attach them to the right spots in your kayak so that you have a better way to grip it.  I found that rather than doing that, I attach a pair of straps around the hull and use them as handles while I lift it.  Just practice and you'll get it...  oh yeah, and lift weights!  😁
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Chitrod:

That looks cool but my wife would kill me if I paid $1700 for a kayak.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sdailey5:

I was looking at sit on top because they tend to have a higher weight capacity and more room for gear. This is would be useful for the hunting and fishing.

Originally Posted By Bounce19712:
looks like two available beer holders on the Future beachangler OP.......no brainer vs. one.

sit on tops tended to be wetter than "swampable" kayaks/canoe for all gear so keep that in mind; but those rigs look like they will hunt.  read about how they handle gear, drain, open, access to storage.... paddle, handle wind/water.  (take a troll motor / battery maybe!?)

I've got a Jackson Kilroy.  It's a sit inside type, but I believe the weight capacity is 375lbs.  They have a Realtree edition as well that is supposed to be popular with duck hunters.

That looks cool but my wife would kill me if I paid $1700 for a kayak.

Try to find a used one.  Check right after the season and you will find many selling their almost brand new for a fraction of what they paid.  That's how I bought mine.  

Mine is a different model than what you are looking for, since the waters in the Puget Sound are very cold and can have some waves a bit big for a sit-on-top model.  I got a dual sitter Current Designs Crosswind model and used it quite a bit with my son.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2023 12:41:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskagrown] [#22]
Originally Posted By Rossi:

Try to find a used one.  Check right after the season and you will find many selling their almost brand new for a fraction of what they paid.  That's how I bought mine.  

View Quote

This is excellent advise.  I picked up a Lifetime Yukon when Walmart slashed prices and picked it up for lime $350.  It is a good kayak however I wanted something better.  I have been scouring facebook marketplace for two months waiting for a good deal on a better yak.  Found a Hobie that was missing the drive for $400 but missed out on it.  Woke up on a day I had a trip I needed to leave early for and found a Hobie Outback with drive Aquabound paddle and cart for $500.  Needless to say I left later than I planned.

Eta: turned out the guy was PCSing and had had the yak for 6-7 years didn't want the movers to destroy it.  Also didn't know his wife listed it for so low...🤣

Link Posted: 9/21/2023 4:59:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cancard] [#23]
Originally Posted By Alaskagrown:

This is excellent advise.  I picked up a Lifetime Yukon when Walmart slashed prices and picked it up for lime $350.  It is a good kayak however I wanted something better.  I have been scouring facebook marketplace for two months waiting for a good deal on a better yak.  Found a Hobie that was missing the drive for $400 but missed out on it.  Woke up on a day I had a trip I needed to leave early for and found a Hobie Outback with drive Aquabound paddle and cart for $500.  Needless to say I left later than I planned.

Eta: turned out the guy was PCSing and had had the yak for 6-7 years didn't want the movers to destroy it.  Also didn't know his wife listed it for so low...🤣

https://i.imgur.com/bPk8VF9.jpeg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alaskagrown:
Originally Posted By Rossi:

https://i.imgur.com/bPk8VF9.jpeg

You bought the paddle and the cart and got the kayak for free.

You stole that!  Would he by chance have a pressure washer for sale, too?  lol
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 7:26:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskagrown] [#24]

You bought the paddle and the cart and got the kayak for free.

You stole that!  Would he by chance have a pressure washer for sale, too?  lol
View Quote

He actually had two budget lifetime kayaks an Recruit and a Hydros together for $160 so I bought them for the kids.  And he threw in a couple extra paddles.  I figure if I bought the Hydros the Recruit and the Aquabound paddle for full price the Hobie would have been less than  $25.

No pressure washer but they do have a Traeger junior elite pellet grill for $100
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Need opinions.  What would be a good fish finder for a Pescador Pro 12?
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Does anyone have recommendations for a two kayak stand?  Something that would  be near the shore and must be fastened securely to the ground so a high tide or winds don’t take it away?
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By kingfish:
Does anyone have recommendations for a two kayak stand?  Something that would  be near the shore and must be fastened securely to the ground so a high tide or winds don’t take it away?
View Quote

I'd build one. Whatever you find pre-built is going to be stupidly expensive and may not work for you since they're usually built for storing in a garage.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:03:20 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

@canard

Ive ran a little Lowrance on mine for years. I cannot recall the model number, but mine has a B-W screen with GPS and lake maps for US installed. Chose it because of the short transducer. It fits nicely in the underside transducer pocket on the Pro 220. The one on my Garmin color FF is way too long.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:02:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cancard] [#29]

@canard

Ive ran a little Lowrance on mine for years. I cannot recall the model number, but mine has a B-W screen with GPS and lake maps for US installed. Chose it because of the short transducer. It fits nicely in the underside transducer pocket on the Pro 220. The one on my Garmin color FF is way too long.
View All Quotes

@canard

Thanks.  I ended up getting him the Garmin Striker Vivid.  I just have to get a battery and set it up.  Been watching YouTube videos for ideas.  Everyone does it differently.   Good times.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LF13X8B?tag=arfcom00-20
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Kayaks (Page 7 of 7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top