User Panel

Site Notices
Kayaks (Page 5 of 7)
Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Flysc:

I envy you access to Smallies.  Never caught one. Those and Reds are on my bucket list.
View Quote
The Smallies act a fool when you put a hook in them.  Pretty much all I fish for spring through fall.  Winter is flat head season.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#2]
FREE YAKIMA KAYAK MOUNTS. Houston TX.

Not sure if this is the right spot but didn’t see any kayak section in the EE.  I have a set of used but still fully functional Yakima kayak mounts that went on a Suburban roof rack cross bars. But most likely can go on any.  I don’t need them anymore and I’m tired of fumbling over them in the garage.  Free for the pick up.  I’m located in central Houston.   PM for info and pics if needed.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 2:22:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File
Added a new Peception Pescador Pro 120 to the fleet. The was it's first sea trial after mods. Even caught a fish.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 11:42:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BPR] [#4]
This seems as appropriate for the Kayak thread as the fishing forum-  My son and I caught our first trout from kayak this past weekend.  He was using a well-worn Wilderness Systems Tarpon 10' and I was in a Jackson Cruise 10'.  Good times!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is my Ascend 10T rigged out and ready to go.

Ascend Sit On Top Fishing Kayak 10T : My mods and Walk- around
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BPR:
This seems as appropriate for the Kayak thread as the fishing forum-  My son and I caught our first trout from kayak this past weekend.  He was using a well-worn Wilderness Systems Tarpon 10' and I was in a Jackson Cruise 10'.  Good timeQs!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44835/IMG_3209_JPG-1189093.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44835/IMG_3216_JPG-1189095.JPG
View Quote
Nice trout!
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 3:34:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Nicer trout than I ever landed.  Excellence.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
I’m hoping I have a new trout honey hole.  We’ve caught a few each of the 3 or 4 times we’ve fished there now.  It’s pretty remote as far as river access goes.  Can’t wait to see what spring brings with largemouth, smallmouth, and stripers on this section of river.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:00:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I’m hoping I have a new trout honey hole.  We’ve caught a few each of the 3 or 4 times we’ve fished there now.  It’s pretty remote as far as river access goes.  Can’t wait to see what spring brings with largemouth, smallmouth, and stripers on this section of river.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I envy your access to Smallmouth. We don't have those this far south. I've been told they are feistier than my beloved Spotted Bass.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#11]
It's time to get after it folks.   We put the Pelican Catch Kayaks in and got after them yesterday.  After several years of banging these kayaks around they have been 100%.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2020 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By weagle:
It's time to get after it folks.   We put the Pelican Catch Kayaks in and got after them yesterday.  After several years of banging these kayaks around they have been 100%.  

https://i.imgur.com/oii4lm6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qirkHA0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YYaKNDn.png

https://i.imgur.com/KxpMSXQ.jpg
View Quote
Nice fish.  But time to get after it?  Lake is still covered in ice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#13]
It was 70s here :)
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#15]
It's a little harder to get to the River and creeks around home since they have most of the parking lots chained off due to the Chinese virus. Big Creek in Roswell is open, but you have to park out on the main road and get your Kayak to the creek. My Pelican Catch 100 only weighs about 50 lbs, so when I have it on the cart it's not much harder to pull than a golf bag cart, especially if you get the weight balanced correctly. Only the smallish bream were biting, but every time I get to fish from the kayak it's a great day.

Launching a Kayak and Bream fishing on Big Creek Roswell Ga
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By weagle:
It's a little harder to get to the River and creeks around home since they have most of the parking lots chained off due to the Chinese virus. Big Creek in Roswell is open, but you have to park out on the main road and get your Kayak to the creek. My Pelican Catch 100 only weighs about 50 lbs, so when I have it on the cart it's not much harder to pull than a golf bag cart, especially if you get the weight balanced correctly. Only the smallish bream were biting, but every time I get to fish from the kayak it's a great day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sutZps87m0M
View Quote

I'm trying a new spot tomorrow morning that has an open ramp. I just want to get out of the house, don't even care if I catch anything.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:39:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BPR] [#17]
We hit a couple local small rivers last week.  One that we've been catching trout on, one that we've been catching smallmouth on.

Success on both!  (Sorry for the turned images.  Don't know why that happened)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Had a buddy call me up last week wanting to sell his Jackson Cruise- couldn’t resist getting it with the price he wanted.

Took it out this past weekend to break it in. Old one is red, new one is orange. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

No big fish yesterday, but a day on the water is hard to complain about.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:08:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#20]
Got in one last trip before selling it.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#21]
And got the new boat today.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Extorris:
And got the new boat today.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57330/F_12-1402860.jpg
View Quote

Nice. What a wide open cockpit

Which Jackson was that?

I’ve love my liska. It’s very open (think mini mayfly) like your nucanoe but all of the track you have is awesome.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bigbear_98:
Which Jackson was that?
View Quote

Big Rig FD.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:43:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TFI] [#24]

View Quote

A good looking kayak. I just picked up a flint Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Man I love the open cockpits of these kayaks. Makes them so versatile.

Better throw that tp into a dry bag before you strap it on the yak!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By bigbear_98:

Man I love the open cockpits of these kayaks. Makes them so versatile.

Better throw that tp into a dry bag before you strap it on the yak!!
View Quote
Honestly, the better bet is to use something like Dude Wipes on the yak... I keep a couple of packs in my yak..
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Oh, and you guys getting the NuCanoes, good choices! I've been eyeing them up to grab one as a river fishing kayak..
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:42:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#28]

Man I love the open cockpits of these kayaks. Makes them so versatile. 
Better throw that tp into a dry bag before you strap it on the yak!!
View All Quotes

Man I love the open cockpits of these kayaks. Makes them so versatile. 
Better throw that tp into a dry bag before you strap it on the yak!!

I would have gotten the Bite FD instead of the Big Rig FD but it came out the year after I bought mine.
I decided to switch to the Nucanoe after going fishing with an arfcommer that has one with a motor setup.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Pelican Catch 100 on the Chattahoochee today.  Love this Kayak and it's even better  when the bass are biting:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By weagle:
Pelican Catch 100 on the Chattahoochee today. Love this Kayak and it's even better  when the bass are biting:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/215474/IMG_5163_JPG-1409088.JPG
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

If you follow my purchase history it goes.
Trolling motor kit from nucanoe
Sla battery & custom length shaft trolling motor
Used jet ski trailer off craigslist when I got tired of taking it apart / putting together.

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Handydave:
If you follow my purchase history it goes. 
Trolling motor kit from nucanoe 
Sla battery & custom length shaft trolling motor
Used jet ski trailer off craigslist when I got tired of taking it apart / putting together.
View Quote

Just need the trailer now.
I went with a lithium battery though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#33]
That pivot drive is pretty awesome. Solves my complaint about not being able to steer at low speeds.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
That pivot drive is pretty awesome. Solves my complaint about not being able to steer at low speeds.
View Quote

It seems to have some teething problems like Jackson's first generation flex drive (another reason I got rid of my Big Rig). I've seen some pics on FB of broken ones.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#35]

It seems to have some teething problems like Jackson's first generation flex drive (another reason I got rid of my Big Rig). I've seen some pics on FB of broken ones.
View All Quotes
That pivot drive is pretty awesome. Solves my complaint about not being able to steer at low speeds.

It seems to have some teething problems like Jackson's first generation flex drive (another reason I got rid of my Big Rig). I've seen some pics on FB of broken ones.

I'm still pretty attached to my paddle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:53:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#36]
I'm still pretty attached to my paddle. 
View Quote

I'm not dropping $1200 on a pedal drive either.

ETA: Especially this one.

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Little bit windy in this pic. I was soaked. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll have to see about getting a pic of my kayak(Vibe Sea Ghost 130). I caught a 5lb. cat on a silver/white crank bait Saturday morning.

Attachment Attached File

Pic from last year shows some of it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#39]
I haven't been on my kayak since Monday and I'm starting to feel withdrawal...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/15/2020 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Added another species to the list of things I've caught from a kayak.  I've had this Jackson Cruise 12 for about a year now- still love the comfort of the seat.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Does anyone have any examples of diy power boxes? Looking at dakota lithium and yak gear but if theres a better alternative Im pretty open to ideas. Mostly looking to be able to run a micro power pole and possibly charge phone if need be.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm stoked.  I sold my old Ocean Kayak Trident 13, which I've had several years and was my first kayak, and picked up a used/good shape Bonafide SS127!  Got, what I considered to be, an awesome deal.  Came with a crapton of accessories!  Still have to sell my 1911 to make the Ministress of Luvin' and Finance happy...

I've also ordered a Motorguide Xi3 and GPS kit.  Can't wait to mount this thing and actually be able to fish where and how I want to.  Sick of fighting Kansas wind.  I keep checking my email for shipping info on the motor, ugh, killer!!    Ordered thru Walmart (said 1 in stock), and saw it was actually a third party sale...tempted to cancel and re-order elsewhere.  Will post pics once it's all rigged up!
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:18:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#43]
Originally Posted By TFI:
Does anyone have any examples of diy power boxes? Looking at dakota lithium and yak gear but if theres a better alternative Im pretty open to ideas. Mostly looking to be able to run a micro power pole and possibly charge phone if need be.
View Quote

Check out Amped Outdoors and Nocqua for lithium batteries.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By TFI:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Just ordered my first kayak!

A Swell Scupper 14 in safety orange. It will be here in a few weeks.

I went with this one for the mix of stability and relatively narrow beam. It has a low seating arrangement relative to most SOTs,  and the weight is pretty good for a 14' plastic Yak. My use will primarily be recreational exercise on the river (not rapids), and hopefully a bit of fishing. Looking forward to arrival!

I have time to rig up a carrying rack for the top of my truck camper. Unfortunately my camper top does not have any rack channels installed. Hmmmm, this might be a project
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Just ordered this...

Attachment Attached File

Moving out of this...

Attachment Attached File

Cant Wait!
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Looking at an Ascent 133x from Cabelas. About the most I can afford. Want something that can carry cargo and it looks promising.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By firemedic2000:

JesseCJC man that is a nice setup when you get it setup the way you want man please do a post I'd really like to see what all you do so I might get some ideas also

I got the kayak fever thanks to a member here. I too did not want to buy just one because I did not want to go alone. So I fixed that problem so I have a way to go with my buddies that do not have one. He had a 12 ft and 10 ft  sit in Ascend kayak. So I bought them both at a reallyyy good price. I live right on Tampa Bay and they are actually really good fishing kayaks. The 12ft Ascend is really good the seat is removable and very comfortable and I could sit in it all day. You can get the same seat for the 10 footer. That being said after about 2 months I wanted a sit on top kayak so I could stand up and set it up better for fishing. This is the fever part I looked at the Native Slayer 14.5, The Wilderness ATAK and the Old Town Predator 13 I really liked them all and could not decide which one to get. They are all great kayaks. The Wilderness ATAK seems to have taken the best attributes of them all and incorporated them into the ATAK. But I was not able to demo one and the price was up there also at 1800.00 but hey if you are going to use it a lot it would be money well spent. Just wish I could have found one to have demo. I went with the Predator in Lime camo with a rudder I almost hit the Slayer 14.5 though I would have taken either to be honest.

Now the Ascend FS 128t sit on top for 750.00 from Bass Pro looked  really great especially at 750.00 ( If you do not want to spend a lot and want a good kayak seriously check this one out) I still might get one of those for my wife that's half the cost of the predator and native almost. It is loaded with features too and the seat is really great also, it swivels . Here's a link to it. Check it out it's a good kayak for someone that does not want to spend a lot of money yet wants a lot features of the expensive ones. I really like the blue one. I did a lot of research over the past month and for fishing kayaks I liked the  Native Slayer 14.5, Predator 13, Wilderness ATAK and the Ascend FS 128t and if I had the money I would buy them all

Oh as far as speed goes. After all my research I really think for the most part they are pretty close on speed. What a lot of people forget is that these are fishing kayaks not the sleek speed demon kayaks. These are wider, heavier ect... if you are going to be on open water a lot with wind and waves the one thing I'd do that would help is get a rudder this will cut down on your paddling a lot.by not having to over paddle to keep the kayak straight in the waves and wind

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS128T-SitOnTop-Angler-Kayak-Camo/product/12102505321116/
View Quote

I like to read many reviews.  There are a bunch of folks who REALLY hate that one. Others love it.

What's lowered end price for getting one with a trolling motor?

I've used both, but...  If I'm buying, I'd buy a used with a motor before a new without.

Would use a local lakes, on great days.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Sam's club has kayaks on sale in my local store.
I checked their website, they even have 2 packs of many types.  

A few different names of makers, but I don't recognize any name so far except that of my first skateboard, Hobie.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:13:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxLewis] [#50]
Ddam
Page / 7
Kayaks (Page 5 of 7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top