Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Kayaks (Page 1 of 7)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 2/16/2015 4:17:33 PM EDT
anuone on here into Kayaks? I've been thinking about getting a sit on top Perception Angler or a FutIre beach angler to paddle around in the lake and backwater creeks and a few tamer rivers. I would fish and explore and camp and maybe even hunt waterfowl.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Just saw a couple "Fusion" iirc brand yaks at Sams the othere day. Looked pretty solid and were priced @ under $200. Look in their catalog.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
looks like two available beer holders on the Future beachangler OP.......no brainer vs. one.

sit on tops tended to be wetter than "swampable" kayaks/canoe for all gear so keep that in mind; but those rigs look like they will hunt.  read about how they handle gear, drain, open, access to storage.... paddle, handle wind/water.  (take a troll motor / battery maybe!?)
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#3]

I was looking at sit on top because they tend to have a higher weight capacity and more room for gear. This is would be useful for the hunting and fishing.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bounce19712:
looks like two available beer holders on the Future beachangler OP.......no brainer vs. one.

sit on tops tended to be wetter than "swampable" kayaks/canoe for all gear so keep that in mind; but those rigs look like they will hunt.  read about how they handle gear, drain, open, access to storage.... paddle, handle wind/water.  (take a troll motor / battery maybe!?)
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my Native Slayer and the seat kicks ass.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:20:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JesseCJC] [#5]
I just traded my native manta ray for a 12' slayer. The manta ray was great but I don't have a truck so a 14'7" boat was just too much. Gonna miss that speed but the slayer is much more stable

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Chitrod:

I was looking at sit on top because they tend to have a higher weight capacity and more room for gear. This is would be useful for the hunting and fishing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've got a Jackson Kilroy.  It's a sit inside type, but I believe the weight capacity is 375lbs.  They have a Realtree edition as well that is supposed to be popular with duck hunters.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:57:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chitrod] [#7]
Originally Posted By sdailey5:

I've got a Jackson Kilroy.  It's a sit inside type, but I believe the weight capacity is 375lbs.  They have a Realtree edition as well that is supposed to be popular with duck hunters.
View All Quotes

That looks cool but my wife would kill me if I paid $1700 for a kayak.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Take her out in one, then you can buy two. My maker of sandwiches wants a fkn hobie of all things.

This is my slayer, going to rig it up with a lowrance and some LEDs for night fishing this week.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:49:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm a native fan. I have the tandem FX15. Pricey but an awesome hybrid.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a couple sit in.  I fish on a lake with it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 a couple of Summers ago.  I love it.  Only managed to get it out once all of last year due to my ever-changing work "schedule," but hopefully this year will be different.  It's the only kayak I've really ever paddled (wife and I rented a tandem and did an off-shore tour once), but it's fast and tracks pretty well.  It's a little on the heavy side, but I can load/unload it onto the roof of my truck (bed's too short) by myself easily.  Once you buy a kayak you'll be hooked.  It's really peaceful.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a Wilderness Systems 115x that I really like.  However, I'm really thinking about selling it for the new Coosa HD.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:28:52 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

take a look at the Jackson Big Tuna HERE is and example of how it can be modified into a duck blind.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:47:46 AM EDT
[#15]
In my research a couple of years ago lead me to purchasing a Nucanoe Frontier. Room for 2 or 1 with a dead deer. lol. 600 plus pound capacity is almost like a battleship. I think it paddles fine for the area lakes and rivers. I can't really compare with other boats. Looking for motors now. Thinking a small outboard may get me up river quicker.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Last year I bought a demo Native Ultimate fx12 and bought a new but discounted Ultimate 14.5 Tandem. I have had the Fx12 out in the salt marshes and if worked great. I have also had them on a lake fishing. The only thing I wish I would have went ahead and got the Fx15 Tandem instead of the 14.5 just because its a nicer boat and set up a little better. I have only used them a few times before winter hit but so far I love both of them and the family loves them as well. Very stable and easy to stand and fish.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Checkout the Feelfree Lure 10 Kayak
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked up a Perception Pescador sport 10 sit-on-top at Gander Mtn.  As far as basic kayaks, its a good one. These kayaks run between 400 and 500 new. I tried one of these out a friend had so I was familiar with it and what felt convenient or useless in some designs.    There are cheaper ones and if you just want to float around or short trip it they are fine.  This one is about as basic as you could get for an all day, down the river float.  Pretty good for fishing too.  They make one that is more of a wide fishing yak too.  

It has a couple of dry storage wells that are basically just openings to the inside so I'd still put things in a dry bag in there.  Got an okay seat to start out but you can upgrade it.    Cup or can holder between your legs and a bungee storage space on the back for cooler too.  Not too heavy so you can carry it around to the launching spot.  

I shopped a lot of the basic ones and this one seemed like the best deal for the money.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I just picked up an Old Town Predator MX, fish & ducks are in real trouble....heavier sit on, so far so good, very relaxing.  camo
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 7:28:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ICEAGE] [#20]
I've been debating on whether I should get a Yak or a boat. Obviously I'll probably get both.

My only issue with the Kayak is I don't know anyone with one and don't wanna go out alone. Also I live in an apartment so I guess its gonna end up sittin against the wall in my haulway.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes

I bought my Slayer 14 from a company out of CA as a demo boat. I've never seen these at the local dealer but it has DEMO at the stern. It's part of the boat, not a sticker or anything. It was easily covered up with my local fly shop's sticker, though.

Why do I mention it? Because I paid less than the local cost but received a free paddle, rod holder, and shipping. I'm trying to find the info for you but I screwed up. I put my boat info in my email signature so the search came back with a crapload of hits.

Originally Posted By ICEAGE:
I've been debating on whether I should get a Yak or a boat. Obviously I'll probably get both.

My only issue with the Kayak is I don't know anyone with one and don't wanna go out alone. Also I live in an apartment so I guess its gonna end up sittin against the wall in my haulway.

I like the yak because I can get in skinnier water. And it's easier to store since I can't get a boat into the backyard or garage.

See if you have a local fishing forum. I've had no problem finding people to go fishing with and they've shown me good places to go.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#22]
If you have the $$$ I hear the Hobie Pros are nice.  Alot of people ocean fish with them out here.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Wildnerness Systems Pungo 120   You're welcome.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:56:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wolfpack] [#24]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:09:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: firemedic2000] [#25]
Originally Posted By ICEAGE:

View Quote

JesseCJC man that is a nice setup when you get it setup the way you want man please do a post I'd really like to see what all you do so I might get some ideas also

I got the kayak fever thanks to a member here. I too did not want to buy just one because I did not want to go alone. So I fixed that problem so I have a way to go with my buddies that do not have one. He had a 12 ft and 10 ft  sit in Ascend kayak. So I bought them both at a reallyyy good price. I live right on Tampa Bay and they are actually really good fishing kayaks. The 12ft Ascend is really good the seat is removable and very comfortable and I could sit in it all day. You can get the same seat for the 10 footer. That being said after about 2 months I wanted a sit on top kayak so I could stand up and set it up better for fishing. This is the fever part I looked at the Native Slayer 14.5, The Wilderness ATAK and the Old Town Predator 13 I really liked them all and could not decide which one to get. They are all great kayaks. The Wilderness ATAK seems to have taken the best attributes of them all and incorporated them into the ATAK. But I was not able to demo one and the price was up there also at 1800.00 but hey if you are going to use it a lot it would be money well spent. Just wish I could have found one to have demo. I went with the Predator in Lime camo with a rudder I almost hit the Slayer 14.5 though I would have taken either to be honest.

Now the Ascend FS 128t sit on top for 750.00 from Bass Pro looked  really great especially at 750.00 ( If you do not want to spend a lot and want a good kayak seriously check this one out) I still might get one of those for my wife that's half the cost of the predator and native almost. It is loaded with features too and the seat is really great also, it swivels . Here's a link to it. Check it out it's a good kayak for someone that does not want to spend a lot of money yet wants a lot features of the expensive ones. I really like the blue one. I did a lot of research over the past month and for fishing kayaks I liked the  Native Slayer 14.5, Predator 13, Wilderness ATAK and the Ascend FS 128t and if I had the money I would buy them all

Oh as far as speed goes. After all my research I really think for the most part they are pretty close on speed. What a lot of people forget is that these are fishing kayaks not the sleek speed demon kayaks. These are wider, heavier ect... if you are going to be on open water a lot with wind and waves the one thing I'd do that would help is get a rudder this will cut down on your paddling a lot.by not having to over paddle to keep the kayak straight in the waves and wind

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS128T-SitOnTop-Angler-Kayak-Camo/product/12102505321116/
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#26]
I kept it simple. Added a lowrance elite-4 HDI, some green supernovas up front and back and a bow cover for dry storage

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Got a Nucanoe Frontier in spring last year, awesome lil rig.

OP your gonna be able to go places you never thought you could go with these lil rigs.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:41:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VACaver] [#28]
Bought a Pelican Maverick 100x a few days ago as a Christmas present from my wife.

On sale for $349 from $399. Taking a close look at it when the manager hauled it out from the back, I noticed a plastic fastener on the cockpit padding was missing. He said he'd "take something off" if I would take it as is. Knowing I could get the fastener at the hardware store for less than a buck, I said sure.

Ringing the sale up, he knocked 20% off of the sale price!  Holy crap...70 bucks off for a missing plastic button!    Sweet

Now that I have a kayak, anyone wanna buy a Coleman Scanoe?

ETA:  Went to the hardware store and got the exact button I needed. Total cost?  33 cents.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I have a Tripper 12, which is th recreational version of the Kilroy. I traded for mine, but new ones are $999.

These are called "hybrid" kayaks, not a sit on top, but not like the old sit ins either. I fish in mine quite a bit, in small lakes and in tailwaters below dams. I had a Jackson Coosa and like the Tripper 12 MUCH better.

For me comfor is #1 and a lawn chair type seat is a must.  Next up is stability, then ease of paddling and speed. The Tripper/Kilroy is an excellent compromise for me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:17:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a Santa Cruz Raptor sit on top.  It is my escape pod.  I don't love inanimate objects, but I'm getting close to saying I love it.  I bought it for big lake Bass fishing, but I've used it in ponds, skinny creeks and in salt.  Most stable kayak I've ever planted my butt in and only weighes 65lbs.  My typical cruise speed is 3.2 mph, so it isn't too slow.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:21:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Planenutok] [#31]
I'm currently fishing out of a Wilderness Systems ATAK 140. The best advice I can give is getting one with a comfortable seat. I can sit in mine for 8+hours easily and still be comfy. If your legs go numb after half an hour of paddling then you'll be much less likely to enjoy kayaking. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Lets bring this thread back! New year of fishing.

Will be the second year fishing from a pescador pro 120. Outfitted with  tracks and a FF. Works great on the river and the lakes.
May switch up to a pescador pilot this summer so i can pedal my way around the BIG reservoirs.

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:20:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

Jackson Tripper 12
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:37:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VACaver] [#34]
Maiden voyage of my Pelican a couple weeks ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:28:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Planenutok] [#35]
Caught my new PB in the ATAK. Almost 7Lbs.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:43:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jacketsfanatic] [#36]
I just picked up a used Feelfree Moken 14 locally.  Being Ohio it's now snowing outside so the kayak sits in my garage waiting for its maiden voyage.  It's probably more than I need but like everything on this site...buy once cry once...

Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I just learned about a new kayak company today, new to me anyway. Vibe Kayaks, they make a Sea Ghost 13 footer that is rated for 550 pounds and is only $899. It has a "lawn chair" type seat and looks very good, especially for the price. They also make smaller versions for even less money.

Should be a good option for bigger paddlers.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Warhawk's post reminded me that I, too, just learned of a new brand of kayaks.

Riptide Kayaks

Admittedly, I have not seen them in person, however, a couple guys from our local kayak fishing group bought them and they sound like a really good buy!  Sounds like they love them so far.  I'm thinking of ditching my 13' Trident for one.  

The Waterhog is $899 (out of stock right now) and comes standard with a rudder.  

I think they are veteran owned, too.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:26:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Warhawk] [#39]
Originally Posted By KingAirDriver:
Warhawk's post reminded me that I, too, just learned of a new brand of kayaks.

Riptide Kayaks

Admittedly, I have not seen them in person, however, a couple guys from our local kayak fishing group bought them and they sound like a really good buy!  Sounds like they love them so far.  I'm thinking of ditching my 13' Trident for one.  

The Waterhog is $899 (out of stock right now) and comes standard with a rudder.  

I think they are veteran owned, too.  
View Quote
Those look VERY similar to the Vibe kayaks, except for the large front hatch.

The Vibe line is made in China, and I've heard of at least one other brand that is identical.  Looks like the Chinese will make them for whoever will write a check.

I'm sure the Riptide is a good kayak, I've heard a lot of good things about the Vibe Sea Ghost.  I think we need more under $1K kayaks, the prices are getting crazy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By scatterbrains:
Lets bring this thread back! New year of fishing.

Will be the second year fishing from a pescador pro 120. Outfitted with  tracks and a FF. Works great on the river and the lakes.
May switch up to a pescador pilot this summer so i can pedal my way around the BIG reservoirs.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/scatterbrains/Mobile%20Uploads/fish/IMG_20160626_172721387_zpsgbo2o4k0.jpg
View Quote
I just added a Pescador Pro 120 to my stable....love the thing.  Light, fast, stable and the seat is really comfy. Bought it strictly for doing creeks, but i find myself lake fishing out if it 90% of the time. Also, these things list for $830, but two local kayak outfitters will sell them fir $700.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Warhawk:
I just learned about a new kayak company today, new to me anyway. Vibe Kayaks, they make a Sea Ghost 13 footer that is rated for 550 pounds and is only $899. It has a "lawn chair" type seat and looks very good, especially for the price. They also make smaller versions for even less money.

Should be a good option for bigger paddlers.
View Quote
I've seen them in person. Look pretty solid, especially at the price point.

Got a friend on Wilderness System's prostaff....they've got some nice stuff coming out.

Another friend is on Johnson's prostaff (Think Old Town/Ocean Kayak) and the Predator PDL looks like it's a winner so far.

Personally, I'm looking heavily into the Native Titan. Waiting for my buddy to get a demo version (whenever Native can finally get the weight down) at his shop and then I'll play around on it for a bit before making a decision. We'll see. 

It's a pretty exciting time for kayak fishing now with practically every vendor coming out with a pedal drive. Look for the Perception Pescador Pilot to turn some heads with the price tag it has. Hopefully the drive lasts! 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#42]
I added a pedal boat to my plastic Navy.  A Native Slayer Propel 10. I had it out for an hour or so Sunday evening, it's going to take some getting used to but I can already see that I'm going to like it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:56:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Hey man I don't know where you are located in AL but check out Coosa River Adventures just north of Montgomery. Have just about every type of boat there and the owner will sell anything. You can try out whatever you like and paddle it down the Coosa and fish if you want. Kayaks are complicated and if you don't know what to look for you'll be disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:29:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Bbodiford:
Hey man I don't know where you are located in AL but check out Coosa River Adventures just north of Montgomery. Have just about every type of boat there and the owner will sell anything. You can try out whatever you like and paddle it down the Coosa and fish if you want. Kayaks are complicated and if you don't know what to look for you'll be disappointed.
View Quote
The Coosa River guy is one I came really close to purchasing my new Pescador.  The only reason I did not is because a dealer a tad closer to me had the same price...$130 below MSRP.

OP, if you are still interested in different boats and you are in north Alabama, look up a Facebook group called North Alabama Kayak Anglers.  April 1st that group is having a Demo Day for folks to try different boats.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Did a 5 mile trip today at our local reservoir.  Friggin' wind picked up and shifted just as we headed back to the docks. Two miles dead-on into wind and choppy waters. Holy shit, I thought I'd never finish.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:20:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By bigriver:
In my research a couple of years ago lead me to purchasing a Nucanoe Frontier. Room for 2 or 1 with a dead deer. lol. 600 plus pound capacity is almost like a battleship. I think it paddles fine for the area lakes and rivers. I can't really compare with other boats. Looking for motors now. Thinking a small outboard may get me up river quicker.
View Quote
OP, like the gentleman above, I also am a Nucanoe Frontier owner.

Incredibly versatile and stable rig in every respect.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By TecRsq:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TecRsq:
Originally Posted By bigriver:

Another frontier owner here.

My 5 year old son and I can switch seats on the water.   Very stable boat.
55 ah battery under the front cover and a shortened minnkota 55lb traxxis make life easy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I've got a vibe seaghost 130. It's made in America  (local to me actually), has high weight capacity, and plenty of room for my camping and fishing gear. I'd highly recommend it. It is a sit on top, so you'll get wetter than a sit in model, but I don't mind it . Plus it comes with a rudder and is wide enough you can stand up and cast on it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been jonesing for a fishing kayak. I found a great deal on a Wilderness Ride, but by the time I got my roof rack situated to pick it up, it had sold. Now, no matter how hard I look on the used market, I can't find anything close to the deal I missed.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#50]
anuone on here into Kayaks? I've been thinking about getting a sit on top Perception Angler or a FutIre beach angler to paddle around in the lake and backwater creeks and a few tamer rivers. I would fish and explore and camp and maybe even hunt waterfowl.
View Quote

Make sure you try before you buy. Kayak fishing is fun, but some are better than others. I have a Hobie. It is lots of fun but slow.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Kayaks (Page 1 of 7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top