Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
With the purchase of the JKU mentioned above,
I want to add a winch, but I am having a tough
time justifying the cost of a 12,000 lb Warn. Any
suggestions on a decent lower budget winch?

Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
12000lbs is overkill on a JKU for the most part but if you want a budget winch the Harbor Freight winches (and similar Chinese winches under different branding) seem to get decent reviews from what I read on other forums.  They're slow but I've seen pictures posted of them doing what they're supposed to.  Personally I'm leery of them because I travel alone a lot, my Warn gives me piece of mind although I've heard people say their quality has gone down as well, especially since they were sold.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 9:43:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Johnny_C] [#3]
I guess I was doubling the curb weight for a
decent safety factor and I have apparently
jumped to the next pull weight grouping.

I have been looking at the Traveler's, and
just now did have a chance to look at the
reviews. Most people seem to be happy with
them, and they are pretty affordable.

That said, I want my winch to work, when I
need it, so that's why  was asking.

But I would like a synthetic rope.

I just found this. For another $100, I am
good for the rope. Good reviews for this
one, as well.

Smitty Built

Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]
It was like 'wheeling a big, comfy couch with a really good turning radius.

Owned it from 1998 thru 2017.  Rust finally took it.  It was a 94, 302, BW1356, E4OD, 4.56 gears, Auburn posi rear, detroit trutrac front, 4" skyjacker with extended radius arms and new rear leaf springs, added the quad shock mounts in the front.  I wheeled it for a couple years before lifting it, and even so, only went with 33" tires.  Remarkably capable for being so heavy.  But, the torque was strong in low range, and I often was on trails in 2nd gear.  Had those wheels and tires for offroad, AT's for the street/snow.

Also owned an 02 WJ 4.7 NV-242, and my wife had an 03 WJ 4.7 HO NV-247 (with 3 variable lockers).  Sill have a 94 ZJ 4.0 NV242 (used to have an NV249).  We also have two WK2's, hers is a 14 3.6 single speed t-case, mine's a 16 5.7 with the q-drive t-case and rear locker.  (Also an 05 SRT-4, but that's just for summertime.)
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 6:50:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Raptor22] [#6]
Spammer
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top