User Panel

Tacked Axes and Hatchets (Page 4 of 4)
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:23:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Arcwn:
Finished with the 2 1/4 lb head on a 21" Beavertooth handle.
Should make a nice camp axe.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254821/20210428_180818_jpg-1922645.JPG
View Quote
That's awesome looking, good job!
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope this will soon be mine found it while a friend was cleaning out his inlaws house

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:57:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vap0rWav3r] [#3]

I lost where this thread was . I finished my axes up in time for Christmas, I was waiting on my buddy to finish the kydex masks while he was going through some personal shit. My brother in law got the prototype belt clip hatchet mask before we said "F all that" and went simple with them. I had to do a bit more profile work on the heads they were pretty chonky and blunt. I got them all pretty sharp but included an axe puck with each set if my Dad or BIL feel so inclined to make them sharper. With how light the heads ended up being I think they were only like 1.25-1.5# to begin with I can't remember off the top of my head now, I think it would have been a waste to go any longer than 18-19" they balance pretty well and the mask solution we came up with seems to work pretty well. I stripped the lacquer on the handles (couldn't find any unlacquered), torched them, sanded them and finished them with boiled linseed oil and kept oiling them once a week for a month until I gave them as gifts. I managed to get them all hanged and refinished in one night, the eyes were kind of all over the place size wise even though they appeared to be the same heads, some required a lot more refinement before I could get a proper fit, and then I finished them with barrel wedges just for extra insurance.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 3:18:17 AM EDT
[#4]
DAMN! those look amazing. awesome job.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:51:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dedreckon] [#5]
So, about 5 or more years ago I wanted to get my son an ax for boyscouts.  Sportsman's guide had some "German military surplus ax" for cheap. 15 bucks maybe.

Picture they had. Looked rough but I figured German quality.
Attachment Attached File

Looked like shit when I got it, lots of pits, eye was misshapen,  handle loose. I got a better handle with a better foot for gripping and he used it a few times but not much.

I decided to finally shape it and clean it up. Wire brush and sanding mostly (the black coating was very tough so I left most on. Didn't like the wide blade so dremmeled off the top (I took too much off)

Attachment Attached File

Could tell the 20mm of blade end was hardened or welded on. Very hard, which was nice. Used a grinder to make it like a viking ax (bearded?). Did more sanding, grinding,  and finally cold blue and aluma Hyde paint.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

At the end, when searching for more info on the ax I found this guy's site and realized it's a German commie ax. Now I kind of wish I bought two and kept one as an original

https://sharky-fourbees.blogspot.com/2017/03/east-german-military-ddr-nva-pioneer.html?m=1
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#6]
To my mind, an Axe is a bigger version of a Hatchet, or vice versa, if you will.  Both are similar but designed for different tasks.  Tomahawks are "fighting" tools which "may" be useful for some other tasks.

Observations:

1) A good saw is always much "quieter" than an axe or hatchet, and possibly less effort/quicker.

2) Knowing how to re-haft one's axe/hatchet is an extremely useful skill.  Handles break.  Having a "semi-fitted" spare handle, or knowing how to make a field-expedient handle can make a huge difference.

Many YouTube vids on how to fit a wooden handle to an axe/hatchet.  It's simple enough to do once one knows how to do it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By raf:
To my mind, an Axe is a bigger version of a Hatchet, or vice versa, if you will.  Both are similar but designed for different tasks.  Tomahawks are "fighting" tools which "may" be useful for some other tasks.

Observations:

1) A good saw is always much "quieter" than an axe or hatchet, and possibly less effort/quicker.

2) Knowing how to re-haft one's axe/hatchet is an extremely useful skill.  Handles break.  Having a "semi-fitted" spare handle, or knowing how to make a field-expedient handle can make a huge difference.

Many YouTube vids on how to fit a wooden handle to an axe/hatchet.  It's simple enough to do once one knows how to do it.

View Quote

I probably use them too interchagably (Axe and Hatchet).

1 - Agree. I have a bow saw I keep in my vehicle, but it gets stuck a lot sawing wood, maybe the blade is too twisted or something?  It's also too big to backback like an Ax - anyone ever use one of those folding versions?
2 - Very true. Also shovels - I have a very old True Temper (50 years?) and had to replace the handle which required some fitting
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:23:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Arcwn] [#8]
Originally Posted By dedreckon:

1 - Agree. I have a bow saw I keep in my vehicle, but it gets stuck a lot sawing wood, maybe the blade is too twisted or something?  It's also too big to backback like an Ax - anyone ever use one of those folding versions?

View Quote

This is the saw I have.  There is a 15, 21 and 24 inch size.  Get the Sidney blade as well.  
You won't be disappointed.

Check out their ADK26 axe as well.  Neat concept but I already have enough axes, for now......
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I have lots of axes, splitting mauls, hatchets, as well as splitting wedges.

IMHO, all of them become dull and require re-sharpening for best utility.

Learn how to re-sharpen your implements.

It's not hard, but it does require fairly inexpensive tools to do so, as well as some skill/labor.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#10]

This is the saw I have.  There is a 15, 21 and 24 inch size.  Get the Sidney blade as well.  

Check out their ADK26 axe as well.  Neat concept but I already have enough axes, for now......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dedreckon:

That looks like a great folding saw. Will have to grab one. Thanks for the recommendation. Now that two piece handle on the axe? Not sure I believe that works.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By raf:
I have lots of axes, splitting mauls, hatchets, as well as splitting wedges.

IMHO, all of them become dull and require re-sharpening for best utility.

Learn how to re-sharpen your implements.

It's not hard, but it does require fairly inexpensive tools to do so, as well as some skill/labor.
View Quote

For sure.

Many years ago I bought a Lansky puck for the axes as it was recommended highly, and it's truly been worth the few bucks I paid for it, works perfectly at home or in the woods for anything but super bad chips or re-profiling an old axe head.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

For sure.

Many years ago I bought a Lansky puck for the axes as it was recommended highly, and it's truly been worth the few bucks I paid for it, works perfectly at home or in the woods for anything but super bad chips or re-profiling an old axe head.
View Quote
Some time ago I bought an inexpensive 1"x30" belt sander (with a disk sander included) from Harbor Freight.  With some better belts, and an accessory "angle guide" that clips on, it has been a huge help in "re-profiling" some tools, as a belt sander is well-designed for such work.  I already have a number of fairly "high-end" sharpeners, but the belt sander saves a lot of time and gives a great place for final sharpening.

Go to YouTube, and search "1x30 belt sanders" or some such and see what you think.  The utility of the little belt sander is, for me, at least, right up there with bench grinder/wire wheel and drill press.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Tacked Axes and Hatchets (Page 4 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top