User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2019 11:18:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06]
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 3:06:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 6:09:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Well all the important parts are in the upper so as long as that is solid.

I suppose with a loose fit the hammer strike  or round firing could cause the upper to move.
Mine are all pretty snug so I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:24:05 AM EDT
[#3]
It doesn't matter as much when slung up or with a more aggressive artificially supported position taking up the slack, but I think it could have a not-so-negligible effect when going for gnat's ass. It's not the same since the trigger is attached, but I see it like a bolt action with screws that aren't tightened enough - and how important is action screw torque?

I'll take a hit in precision to be able to field strip by hand though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 8:39:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Veprz] [#4]
Technically speaking a loose upper to lower fit would have little negative effect on accuracy (precision capability) potential as long as the uppers components are properly installed and torqued. I do believe a sloppy upper to lower fit can have a real effect on consistency though, especially during rapid strings where you are not as focused on the relation of the upper to lower when breaking the shot. Basically the upper will have a set accuracy (precision) potential, a loose upper to lower fit will effect your ability to actually aim where you want. I can see the ability to pull shots with movement between the two receiver halfs.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 9:08:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-fan] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Veprz:
Technically speaking a loose upper to lower fit would have little negative effect on accuracy (precision capability) potential as long as the uppers components are properly installed and torqued. I do believe a sloppy upper to lower fit can have a real effect on consistency though, especially during rapid strings where you are not as focused on the relation of the upper to lower when breaking the shot. Basically the upper will have a set accuracy (precision) potential, a loose upper to lower fit will effect your ability to actually aim where you want. I can see the ability to pull shots with movement between the two receiver halfs.
View Quote
If nothing else, having a loose upper is just plain annoying to me. I know that's stupid but that alone might affect accuracy. I have several AR's but this one is my favorite but when I handled it I could feel the upper moving so I added one of those rubbery things to the rear and is nice and tight now and I just feel better about it. I can't honestly say it shot a lot better since I'm kind of lamed up and haven't had a chance to shoot it in a really long time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR-fan:

If nothing else, having a loose upper is just plain annoying to me. I know that's stupid but that alone might affect accuracy. I have several AR's but this one is my favorite but when I handled it I could feel the upper moving so I added one of those rubbery things to the rear and is nice and tight now and I just feel better about it. I can't honestly say it shot a lot better since I'm kind of lamed up and haven't had a chance to shoot it in a really long time.
View Quote
An Accu-Wedge? I found they work great in some lowers if they DONT need to be trimmed.

Most modern lowers have the threaded set screw with nylon tip. IMO, that is the correct method to take slop out of the upper.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 1:28:43 AM EDT
[#7]
1. Ball ammo (m193) as a rule sucks.
2. G.I. issue chrome lined 1/12 twist barrels suck too.
3. Three rifles does not give enough information to base any sort of "rule".

Unless you're holding the rifle by the magazine or magwell when firing the bullet will exit the bore before any discernable play between the upper and lower will show up on target.

I try to use the sling when shooting offhand, at least loop it around my elbow for additional support. Consistent sling tension will force the gap apart. Consistantcy is key to repeatable groups on target.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Wouldn't it be easier to test this now with an M4E1 lower?  The M4E1 has a user tightenable upper tension screw.  Get an upper, maybe shave down the Takedown lugs to create slop if it isn't present and then test with varying degrees of slop between upper and lower?
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 2:58:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#10]
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 3:06:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Genin] [#11]
Their base accuracy was 2.2" at 100 yards.  Maybe with ball ammo and iron sights that would be acceptable, but with any kind of quality optic of 3-4x and greater with match ammo, that would be a poor group to begin with.  So I think the base for comparison is pretty flawed to begin with.  If they took rifles with tight fitting upper and lower that shot consistent ten shot groups of 1" at 100 yards to begin with, then put them onto sloppy fitted lowers that might be a better test.

There is a very simple, and cheap way to get tight fitting upper and lowers without modifying either part.  Hardware stores sell shoulder bolts that will replace the front take down pin.  File a flat spot on the end of the shoulder bolt where the take down pin has it's flat spot.  Retain the take down pin, detent, and spring. Put a washer between the lower receiver tab and the nut that screws onto the shoulder bolt.  Tighten down the nut on the shoulder bolt so it just barely squeezes the tabs of the lower onto the tab from the upper receiver, and it will remove all slop and movement between the upper and lower.  The original take down pin can easily be replaced at any time with no damage to either the upper or lower.

I have used this on both 5.56 x45 and 7.62x51 rifles and it works great on either one.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#12]
A small diameter “O” ring fitted over the front lug prior to assembly will also tighten the fit between the upper and lower. Will need a supply of them once you find a diameter that works with your rifle, as each time you take the rifle apart for cleaning best to put a new ring in place. Same principle works for loose standard trigger guard by inserting a thick rubber band before snapping spring loaded pin in place, then trimming any overhang.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top