BCM
User Panel

Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 2 of 90)
Page / 90
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
That's what I thought. Would be cool to see some people who make savage and remage barrels make ruger barrels. A lot of people in GD saying they are basically just AR barrels but there would be multiple issues with that.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:
I'm curious to see how the barrel attaches.  I'm sure it isn't going to be just an AR style barrel with no gas port.

The barrel tenon is threaded, so you actually screw the barrel into the receiver until it headspaces correctly with the bolt (you need go/nogo gauges for this). Then, you tighten down the barrel nut as a jam nut to keep the barrel from moving in the receiver. THEN, there's another nut that screws onto the barrel nut -- this last nut is called the handguard nut and it is basically the same as an AR15 barrel nut.

There are some decent photos of this setup here.
That's what I thought. Would be cool to see some people who make savage and remage barrels make ruger barrels. A lot of people in GD saying they are basically just AR barrels but there would be multiple issues with that.  

Yeah I am not sure how the AR barrel thing got started but it doesn't want to die in that GD thread. The 3 lug bolt should be enough to clue people in.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Me gusta mucho!
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:41:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#3]
Hopefully allot of folks here get them soon and post some good range reports. If this would have came out 3 weeks ago, may have ended up with one of these instead of my savage. No regrets on the savage but still one of these would have been nice to get. After reading the review on snipers hide and reading the details of these rifles on Rugers web site, Ruger did there homework putting these together. Have had 2 ruger 44 magnums recently and know Rugers quality on there handguns. Never owned any of there rifles so will have to rely on folks reviews. The price on these is down right amazing. Any of you folks with precision high priced bolt rifles care to give your 2 cents on the build of these rifles?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I ordered a 243 from an LGS.  We will see how good it is.  It will be my "budget" long range gun.  I think I'll throw a PST 6-24 on it.
View Quote

I'm going to mount the same glass on a 6.5 I think.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#5]
From the photos it looks like an AR 15 trigger would fit, anyone know for sure?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
View Quote

Ruger is saying it's proprietary and I believe Frank with Sniper's Hide said the same in his article about the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

This parts diagram indicates no.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sample:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sample:

Correct -- AR15 triggers will not work. Note also that the RPR trigger pack is attached to the "upper receiver," not the lower as in an AR.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#9]

MOTHER OF.......
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#10]
The magazine solution they came up with seems amazing.  I just wish they would have went with a .260 instead of creedmore.  I'm too invested in the .260 Rem to let myself get excited about this rifle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bhart89:
The magazine solution they came up with seems amazing.  I just wish they would have went with a .260 instead of creedmore.  I'm too invested in the .260 Rem to let myself get excited about this rifle.
View Quote

The 6.5 Creedmoor is becoming very popular.  Ruger made the right move.  

I'm sure there will be aftermarket barrels coming out for the RPR since the barrel change is relatively easy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

If you like it that much you could have the barrel re chambered or buy one of the other calibers and sell the barrel and have a 260 screwed on.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:54:54 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

.260 still has no factory match loads that I'm aware of. Going with 6.5creed makes sense for them. (And me )
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Got an email back from Ruger (fast response) asking them about custom orders. They do not at this time but will pass my request on to there sales department. Kind of figured anyways but didn't hurt to ask.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like  a copy of an AI. This shall be interesting!
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Mauser48A:
View Quote

What part?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#17]
This looks nice. I work across the street from Ruger here in Prescott, AZ. I should probably be getting one of these...
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RePp:

What part?
View All Quotes

What part?

I thought the same thing when I first saw it and it makes sense since the AI is the precision rifle by which all others are judged and the designer of this rifle is a member on SH where AI is the king.  Bolt throw, swept back handle, 3-lug bolt, user replaceable barrel, etc. are all cues from the AI to me.  The handguard is as well.

I'd say an AIAX would be the closest match but being compared to an AI is a good thing in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By jlficken:
I thought the same thing when I first saw it and it makes sense since the AI is the precision rifle by which all others are judged and the designer of this rifle is a member on SH where AI is the king.  Bolt throw, swept back handle, 3-lug bolt, user replaceable barrel, etc. are all cues from the AI to me.  The handguard is as well.

I'd say an AIAX would be the closest match but being compared to an AI is a good thing in my opinion.
View All Quotes

What part?

I thought it looked like a poor man's mrad

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#20]
What is the price difference between ruger and AI?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
View Quote

About $4k in Ruger's favor!
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:15:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#22]
View Quote

For an AI AT it would be another 2 Ruger's with money left over for a SWFA SS 3-15x42  

Seriously thought if you want a new AI AE MKIII 2.0 (folding stock) it is about $2200 more for the AI than the Ruger if the AI is purchased from Mile High Shooting.  For that money though you get a superb rifle that is proven to just work and work.  I know of one AI AE (I would assume MKII) that has over 100,000 rounds through it and is on its 12th or 13th barrel.

For the $1500 and under price point I don't see anything coming close to the Ruger, however, if you can stretch your budget to $2100 or so I would go with a used AI AE MKII.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

That is accurate if talking a new AIAT, however, I know that Mile High Shooting has a used AIAW for $4K with an Atlas bipod and AI mount which is a damn good price as well as new AI AE MKIII 2.0's for ~$3200.  I would have bought it if I wouldn't have gotten my AI AE MKIII Covert for $4K w/ the suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Jus_Ad_Bellum:

View All Quotes

What part?

I agree. The AR influences are heavy in the RPR just like the 98B and MRAD.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Any body else selling them? Turner's is instore only.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ARhabit:
View Quote

Have you talked to your LGS? From what I hear dealer is substantially lower than MSRP and pricing under $1000 for local sale is not uncommon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Have you talked to your LGS? From what I hear dealer is substantially lower than MSRP and pricing under $1000 for local sale is not uncommon.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARhabit:

Local sale? You know someone who has one already? Why is there no review yet?!
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#28]

If you move quick turners.com still has 6.5 Creedmoor versions of this rifle for $999.98 + shipping (no credit card fee).

View Quote
Too late.  All 3 calibers sold out.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Ruger has thrown up a good cross-section view of the rifle. Trigger design looks interesting.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/rpr/features.html
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#30]
This is could be a great rifle.  Prices have been getting severely out of hand.  Hopefully Ruger can put out a quality product at this price point and put some economic pressure on other manufacturers .  When was the last time a gunmaker announced a product with it available for purchase  in quanity?

Hope Ruger made a bunch.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn....my Savage Creedmoor build may have just had the brakes applied.....
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By alemonkey:
Damn....my Savage Creedmoor build may have just had the brakes applied.....
View Quote

My Hog Hunter/XLR build 100% has.  I just canceled my chassis and I put the Hog Hunter on the EE.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

What part?

Definitely more like an MRAD, tube gun or even DTA given its recoil path.  AI is like a traditional stock/chassis in that respect.  From the cutaways I have seen, prefit-barrels will be possible.  It certainly will not be a quick process though.  Also looks like your married to the Samson HG given the way the 2 barrel nuts interact.  

Cool rifle non-the less.  Being able to use any magazine and the price point with the features that it packs, I predict Ruger will not be able to keep up with demand.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By cjgem:
Definitely more like an MRAD, tube gun or even DTA given its recoil path.  AI is like a traditional stock/chassis in that respect.  From the cutaways I have seen, prefit-barrels will be possible.  It certainly will not be a quick process though.  Also looks like your married to the Samson HG given the way the 2 barrel nuts interact.  

Cool rifle non-the less.  Being able to use any magazine and the price point with the features that it packs, I predict Ruger will not be able to keep up with demand.

View All Quotes

What part?

Supposedly, the way the handguard attaches is such that any ar15 handguard would work.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:23:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cjgem] [#35]

Supposedly, the way the handguard attaches is such that any ar15 handguard would work.

View Quote

Looking at this cutaway, the evolution HG works because it has those Thermal Bushings allowing the HG to slip over the RPR's barrel nut.  Most other HG index off the AR15 barrel nut and will leave the RPR's barrel nut exposed.  At least thats the way it looks to me...

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#36]

Looking at this cutaway, the evolution HG works because it has those Thermal Bushings allowing the HG to slip over the RPR's barrel nut.  Most other HG index off the AR15 barrel nut and will leave the other RPR's barrel nut exposed.  At least thats the way it looks to me...

http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/boltguns/rpr_cutaway.png
View All Quotes

Looking at this cutaway, the evolution HG works because it has those Thermal Bushings allowing the HG to slip over the RPR's barrel nut.  Most other HG index off the AR15 barrel nut and will leave the other RPR's barrel nut exposed.  At least thats the way it looks to me...

According to the parts schematic, there is a barrel nut and a handguard nut and also those thermal bushings. I haven't handled one, but I'm thinking the handguard nut is a standard ar15 size barrel nut so that any other handguard and proprietary nut would be a drop in replacement.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#37]
According to the parts schematic, there is a barrel nut and a handguard nut and also those thermal bushings. I haven't handled one, but I'm thinking the handguard nut is a standard ar15 size barrel nut so that any other handguard and proprietary nut would be a drop in replacement.

View All Quotes

I agree, just not sure if another manufacture's HG will cover the RPR's barrel nut.  Time will tell...
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By only1asterisk:
This is could be a great rifle.  Prices have been getting severely out of hand.  Hopefully Ruger can put out a quality product at this price point and put some economic pressure on other manufacturers .  When was the last time a gunmaker announced a product with it available for purchase  in quanity?

Hope Ruger made a bunch.
View Quote

I just got to play with one and man its nice. This coming from a guy that does not like chassis guns. The Ruger sales rep said they had made 650 for initial release and should be able to make about 100 a week.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#39]
It's a good thing they didn't release a LA version. . .
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By RFutch:

I just got to play with one and man its nice. This coming from a guy that does not like chassis guns. The Ruger sales rep said they had made 650 for initial release and should be able to make about 100 a week.
View All Quotes

Hope Ruger made a bunch.

Where about did you get to play with one in TN?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

View All Quotes

Hope Ruger made a bunch.

I work for a distributor.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Hope Ruger made a bunch.

Got ya.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Just spoke with LGS.  They quoted me $1050 to put one on backorder.  But they claim distributers are saying the supply will ramp up quickly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Ruger won't be able to keep up on the orders if this rifle shoots as good as it looks. Come on you guys with deep pockets, get one, shoot it, then come gloat on a range report to us. Don't forget the pics or you will be BBQ'd!
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By mort:
Just spoke with LGS.  They quoted me $1050 to put one on backorder.  But they claim distributers are saying the supply will ramp up quickly.
View Quote

I was quoted almost exactly the same thing for a 6.5CM.  They were hoping for the first week or so of August before they'd see their initial shipment.  I'm not in a hurry so that's fine with me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:03:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bravo5two] [#46]

I was quoted almost exactly the same thing for a 6.5CM.  They were hoping for the first week or so of August before they'd see their initial shipment.  I'm not in a hurry so that's fine with me.
View All Quotes

Okay I feel much better now since my kiddy bank is empty, will have to $ave up for it anyway
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By bravo5two:

will have to $ave up for it anyway
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bravo5two:

will have to $ave up for it anyway

Am trying to figure what to sell to get one of these. My AR10 in EE isn't getting any bites. Dam.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:34:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexasCrutch] [#48]

View All Quotes

Hope Ruger made a bunch.

Damn it Ruger!!!  So I can expect to have a chance at getting one of these in maybe 5 years.

This hobby sucks.  Seems like there is some secret test you have to take to become a manufacturer with any ties to the gun industry that ensures you are too conservative to make money.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm hoping to see one of these soon. If so, it will have to come home with me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#50]
This is the first Ruger I have wanted since buying a Mark II target .22lr pistol twenty years ago!  Finally.
Page / 90
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 2 of 90)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top