Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 11:06:46 AM EDT
Picked up my rifle from the smith yesterday.  Brand new Rock Creek barrel, full blueprint, all the fun stuff.

So I need to start working up some loads for it.  I wonder how y'all begin the process.  I have a chamber print and an ogive OAL gauge.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I just went through this with my new 6 X 47 Lapua. After prepping the cases, sizing from 6.5 to 6 mm and trimming the neck to -.002 to the chamber, I seated a bullet where I knew it was long. Chambered the round (no primer or powder of course) Ejected the round and measured how far the bullet set back further in the case. Now keep in mind, I was lucky in the fact that the bullet didn't stick in the riflings and made it easy to check after I ejected the case and bullet. I measured this, and seated a new bullet in a fresh case to +.005 to what the bullet measured, chambered and ejected and saw just a small mark where each one of the riflings touched. I started seating the bullet back in .001 increments until there was no markings from the riflings and recorded that number for that bullet. I repeated this process for each different style and weight of bullet I used. Now for the next few hundred rounds, it's easy to set the bullet wherever I want, mine prefers about a .005 jump from the riflings. Some may say I got too in depth, but I know exactly where each bullet needs to be seated to touch the riflings. You will have to repeat this process as the throat starts to erode on your barrel. Good luck and hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:
Picked up my rifle from the smith yesterday.  Brand new Rock Creek barrel, full blueprint, all the fun stuff.

So I need to start working up some loads for it.  I wonder how y'all begin the process.  I have a chamber print and an ogive OAL gauge.
View Quote

Depending on what caliber you have, you could start with published loans. I started running a 6.5x47 a few months ago. I found a loan on the hide, seemed popular, and gave it a shot. It was under listed max so I felt confident with it. After zeroing the scope I shot a 5 shot group at 100 yards. Measured 0.411".

That was also after I found roughly how far my lands sat. I seated three different depths and found the longest jump, 0.015, was the best.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:

View Quote

For more in depth reloading questions. You should be reading the FAQ's (first) then post over there>
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/42_Reloading.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UScott766:

I just went through this with my new 6 X 47 Lapua. After prepping the cases, sizing from 6.5 to 6 mm and trimming the neck to -.002 to the chamber, I seated a bullet where I knew it was long. Chambered the round (no primer or powder of course) Ejected the round and measured how far the bullet set back further in the case. Now keep in mind, I was lucky in the fact that the bullet didn't stick in the riflings and made it easy to check after I ejected the case and bullet. I measured this, and seated a new bullet in a fresh case to +.005 to what the bullet measured, chambered and ejected and saw just a small mark where each one of the riflings touched. I started seating the bullet back in .001 increments until there was no markings from the riflings and recorded that number for that bullet. I repeated this process for each different style and weight of bullet I used. Now for the next few hundred rounds, it's easy to set the bullet wherever I want, mine prefers about a .005 jump from the riflings. Some may say I got too in depth, but I know exactly where each bullet needs to be seated to touch the riflings. You will have to repeat this process as the throat starts to erode on your barrel. Good luck and hope this helps.
View Quote
This is perfect, thank you.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#5]
You are welcome. It was quite a process, but well worth it. 1/4 Moa so far at 500 yards with 105 grain Berger target hybrids over 38.5 RL-17 and a cci 450 primer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top