Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2018 2:08:27 PM EDT
Hey guys , family and I are going to Galveston tx on a road trip April 29th. We are staying in a place via Airbnb along the ocean front.  I was considering taking a pole and one tackle box and maybe fish From the shoreline/ a dock. My equipment is good for all fish up to Bass etc but not sure what else considering I'm only a journeyman fisherman ( take the kids etc).   I was looking for anyone that has fished the area and trying to get info. Will my basic freshwater equipment work? Best hours?

Etc

Last thing I need is snagging a giant shark etc lol and snapping my Pole.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You should check out crystal meth beach while you are there
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol wtf. Is this place a bad idea to visit?
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Galveston is ok just don’t wander off into the neighborhoods. I haven’t fished there since I was a kid but friends do and they use their freshwater gear without a problem.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
Galveston is ok just don’t wander off into the neighborhoods. I haven’t fished there since I was a kid but friends do and they use their freshwater gear without a problem.
View Quote
It's not a resort like Cancun ( where you're prerrt cut off from the populace) so will this be an issue with my wife and kids?  Mind you , I'm from Chicago and carry concealed lol
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#5]
LOTS of fishermen also go to Seawolf Park on the bayside
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Two fishing piers, seawolf park, and texas city dyke all good places to fish.  You can use a bigger catfish rod and reel for saltwater fishing but make sure you rinse or soak in freshwater when done.  When the sandies are biting off the pier you cant stop pulling them out on shrimp.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#7]
If your kids like trains the railroad museum is fun.  You can ride the port bolivar ferry to see dolphins.  Moody gardens is fun but expensive.  Leons world famous bbq is hole in the wall but best bbq on the island-also eat original mexican cafe.  Best seafood is in the fishermans warf downtown area.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have this...   .Abu Garcia Ultra Max Spinning Combo.  I'm not gonna buy a new one for only a few day trip but you think it would suffice with some upgraded line?
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I cant find anything that talks about line capacity but some 15lb mono should work with a shock leader of high test for your bait hook and weights.  I would recommend you fish off the pier with that short of a rod.  If you go in the academy on seawall they or one of the local shopper will  set you up with the right line, hook, and weights.  The pier rents and sells too but cost more.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#10]
So there's fishing shops all around the beaches there ?  Not too much in Chicago like that to relate to.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Not so much, some bait shops on 61st back towards I-45 and some down towards aransas pass on seawall.  But if you are aiming to keep investment low, Academy is cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top