Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
A Solemn Oath (Page 4 of 4)
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 3:50:44 AM EDT
[#1]
No new chapter yet BUT: words are flowing and story is being written.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Take your time...  but keep it coming.

Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sharkman6:
Take your time...  but keep it coming.

View Quote

AYE! Take your time......expeditiously!
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Any updates??
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#5]
This story has real potential, I hope I get to see it finished OP.

(Just in case that was too subtle of a hint.)
MOAR!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:32:09 AM EDT
[#7]
alright, you guys deserve an explanation.

I first started writing this at the peak of anxiety/PTS (didnt know the second half at that time) as an outlet. I had a story in my head and you all got what was there and I was caught with my pants down when I hit the brick wall of writers block. about the time I hit that wall was also the time I got a handle on my mental issues with the help of the VA (as shocked as I am that they could help?).

I have been trying to push myself to write more of the ambush, from Doc's perspective. I'm not a combat medic of any sort, and the ones I know dont need me poking around in their heads for ideas for a story so I've failed to make headway.

I'm going to shift gears, leave you hanging on the aftermath of the assault on the armored column. I promise, I'll get back to it and start running from another angle. Bear in mind its deer season, and the first week of Nov is elk season... that whole week I'm going to be tromping around the now half burned down hunting grounds my family has been going to for 40 years.

ya'll deserve more, I'm sorry I've failed in that after getting you guys addicted. If there's one thing us SHTF fiction fans resemble: it's a damn Crackhead feinding for the next hit/chapter.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 2T2_Crash:
alright, you guys deserve an explanation.

I first started writing this at the peak of anxiety/PTS (didnt know the second half at that time) as an outlet. I had a story in my head and you all got what was there and I was caught with my pants down when I hit the brick wall of writers block. about the time I hit that wall was also the time I got a handle on my mental issues with the help of the VA (as shocked as I am that they could help?).

I have been trying to push myself to write more of the ambush, from Doc's perspective. I'm not a combat medic of any sort, and the ones I know dont need me poking around in their heads for ideas for a story so I've failed to make headway.

I'm going to shift gears, leave you hanging on the aftermath of the assault on the armored column. I promise, I'll get back to it and start running from another angle. Bear in mind its deer season, and the first week of Nov is elk season... that whole week I'm going to be tromping around the now half burned down hunting grounds my family has been going to for 40 years.

ya'll deserve more, I'm sorry I've failed in that after getting you guys addicted. If there's one thing us SHTF fiction fans resemble: it's a damn Crackhead feinding for the next hit/chapter.
View Quote

Go get some venison in the freezer and then go harvest an elk!  You can start worrying about "letting us down" after we start paying you for your efforts...
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, Bambi is in the freezer right next to the elk!  With a full belly and a smile on your face would you please put pen to paper (er..well...fingers to keyboard!) and continue this story?
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I am mighty glad that you have gotten your head back on straight, I really am.  May God Bless you and Keep you in improving your mental health.  That said, can we haz MOAR?  Purddy Please?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#12]
MOAR!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 2:30:11 AM EDT
[#13]
this has NOT been edited, any input as I try to dust off the story is greatly appreciated. This might be a jerky start but I have missed writing.

The stunning silence that filled the air had no effect on Doc Rios, the man was so tuned into his work that it just didn’t register. The first casualty had been one that Rios could do nothing for, the kid had literally been eviscerated. There were things that you could see, things you could block out, and things that you just knew would haunt you for life if you saw it. This was the second time in his life that he had seen a man blown into nothing but pieces.
Push it away. Bury it. There is work to do.

Rios’ first treatable casualty was sustained when LT McCeirney went down, he had been able to run to him to provide aid. The injured platoon leader had been pretty straight forward to treat: check for mass bleeding, dress the head wound, check the ears, keep him still. His casualty’s back was lacerated to shit from shale and metal shrapnel but not in a life-threatening manner, the head wound had been the result of an impact with some rocks, the airway was clear. Doc laid him on his side in the recovery position to ensure any further vomiting would not cause choking. That was about the extent of what he could do on the battlefield at that time, it would take a CAT scan, a hospital and time to see if any serious damage was caused. The things he did know were that the LT couldn’t form a proper sentence for shit, his balance was fucked, and he was puking. Luckily the blood that he was seeing in the vomit was because McCeirney had bit his tongue pretty good. The bad part was that Rios knew McCeirney had a solid history of TBI, to the extent that the next one could be the one that wouldn’t buff out.

Unfortunately for Doc, he was it for both platoons. Their fighting force had only managed him and one highly skilled trainee for medical personnel so far. The saving grace for the two platoons currently under his care was that a good number of the platoon’s fighters had some form of combat life savers training under their belts. After he had assessed the LT, Rios had started responding to the cries for help. When he had worn MARPAT with his Marines he had been used to hearing Corpsman, here he heard shouts of CORPSMAN!, or MEDIC!, DOC! and of course a couple of times he simply heard “HELP!”. It was all the same, someone was fucked up and needed him.

Doc hurriedly moved down the line of Second Platoon, the overwhelming response from the enemy below and the nature of the ordinance being used had forced the ambushers to stay low, though not immune from injury. As he ran hunched down the line he looked at everyone he passed, a few had some scrapes but nobody was in immediate need of aid until he came to the fighting position of a couple of the 2nd’s riflemen. The two had setup behind one of the fallen trees that happened to lay along the ridge, great cover against small arms. Unfortunately for the two they had been targeted by one of the autocannons below, which had shredded the log, the dirt and rocks around it, and the pair of fighters behind it. Both lay on their backs in pools of blood, with his arm blown off just above the elbow and the other with his abdomen sliced open and his intestines pushing out.

Rios ran between them and took a knee, both were still lucid so that was a good thing for him.

“Do NOT push those back in!”

Doc yanked an IFAK off of the amputee’s belt and grabbed the CAT tourniquet. Lucky for Rios this soldier had his kit in order. “Stay with me buddy, we’re getting you fixed up.”

Rios fed the CAT around the severed limb, high up about 3/4s of the way to the shoulder. With the strap fed through the buckle he tightened it as hard as he could, despite the further cries of his casualty. The strap secured he turned the windlass one and a half times and secured it, writing the time on the strap. With the spurting blood stopped Rios observed no further blood flow and did his body check: no further massive bleeds, no respiratory issues: stable patient.
Now back to the other one.

The young man laying down holding his intestines looked oddly calm. “What do I do Doc?”

“Where else are you hurt?” Rios had already begun inspecting the wound as he talked/shouted with his patient.

“Just here I think”

“You’re lucky, the intestines are not damaged, I’m going to wash them a little and try to put them in.”

With smooth motions and the confidence of experience two casualties were treated, one of which was lifesaving. The eviscerated patient’s innards were put back inside and the large abdominal gash taped shut with a few pieces of medical tape: you do what you can as you can on the battlefield and hope it makes the difference between life and death by the time the patient gets to the surgeons.

“Lay down, keep your feet up and watch eachother. I have to help others. You’ll be okay.”

The truth was he didn’t know if they’d be alright but he didn’t think it and if he did, he damn well wouldn’t say it.

On to the next casualty, Rios could hear the fighting intensify down the line, Third platoon was unleashing hell and he could feel the shift of incoming fire to the new target. He continued down the lines throughout the fight, slowly realizing the incoming fire had all but stopped. The two platoons had begun consolidating their wounded, allowing Rios to keep a better eye on the injured, he was woefully ill-equipped to handle the half dozen critical patients he had right now. He had no pain killers, his supply of combat bandages, gauze and other bleed stop items was exhausted and he had no IV bags. One patient alone at required the use of four chest seals and a shitload of gauze but had managed to get stabilized.

As he was looked over his casualty collection point and thought what to do next he was approached by 3rd Platoon’s LT Jake McCoy.
“What’s the status Doc?”

Rios sighed; he was suddenly tired as hell. “We have a dozen casualties. Three are KIA, I have six in critical condition and four that are fucked up but will make it to a hospital for further care. We need a Medevac.”
Lt McCoy looked at the wounded, this was the first mass casualty fight for them. “The Army cant get us any medevac flights but we just got notified by Castle that the town is sending their EMS to us: Doctors, ambulances, everything they can. Keep these guys alive Doc, help should be here soon. The rest of 2nd Platoon is mopping up the ambush site.”

Doc Rios nodded his head and turned back to his injured, suddenly energized with hope.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Thanks for getting back after it!
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:08:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the new addition.  Great story.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks so much for the new installment!  Keep on Keepin' on!
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 2:21:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greyguy] [#17]
I figured that this one had run its course.  I'm glad to see that I was wrong, it's a good story.  Thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Updates will be slow coming, but I’ll keep it up.
Im getting the writing itch again but it needs to be balanced with an ongoing home renovation.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 2:55:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2T2_Crash] [#19]
quick note: I do not have my current proof readers checking this over, if you see something off say something please.

Chief Warrant Officer 3 Samantha Fisher was energized, yet exhausted as she sat behind the controls of her MH-60 Blackhawk as they flew back to Camp Petry from their latest pickup. All of their previous Medevac missions were supporting their own units along the pass, this was the first to support a local militia group that had sustained casualties. She and her pilot had both been surprised to see the devastation that the group had inflicted upon the FFACA forces, it’s not every day an armored column gets shredded by what she figured was an irregular military group. Their helo had front row seats as the bridge was blown up, though from a safe distance away, as well as the mortar barrage dropped on the far side of the ravine. She’d have to find out more about this unit, it seemed they’d be supporting them in the future.

In the loud and cramped confines of the cabin behind them knelt Corporal Siemens and Sergeant Jarvis, the later being a stellar medic with two Purple Hearts and an NJP under his belt. Jarvis had been a flight medic for 15 years, during those years he spent as much time in a combat zone as he could which resulted in an extraordinarily high number of casevac missions he had been on. The experience he gained over the years had developed an almost OCD method to how he worked. Every medical bag had its place, every item in every bag an exact location. Jarvis could instinctively reach for any medical item he needed without needing to draw attention away from whomever he was working on at the time. On more than a few occasions this strict control of his work environment had saved lives. Siemens had found Jarvis’ strict adherence to his gear layout as odd at first but quickly adjusted to it.

As Sergeant Jarvis knelt amongst his patients proceeded through his usual process of evaluating those in his care. This was a short flight for a Casevac mission and the three casualties were in pretty stable condition, all things considered. The amputee was his first check, ensuring that the tourniquet was still effectively preventing a bleed out and that none of the shrapnel wounds had developed into massive bleeds. A shot of pain killer and an IV run relaxed the man and Jarvis moved to the female with the gunshot wound to the abdomen. Unfortunately for her he had to lean her up towards the center of the cabin, he only had so much room. The younger woman was in obvious pain and grit her teeth as she held a wad of gauze in place.

Jarvis leaned in close to her ear and had to practically yell for her to hear him.
“Listen I am going to get handsy with you, I need to get a better look at that wound for you, DO NOT freak out on me okay?”
The blonde nodded at Jarvis as he was already working to pull her clothes away from the wound. The bleed was a slow flow, and aside from the fact that she had a gunshot wound to the abdomen it was seemed to Jarvis that she was very lucky, there were no signs of internal organ or bone damage. Jarvis dug out a new dressing and some gauze and started to work on the entry and exit wound. After tightening the bandage he leaned back in.
“It looks like a through and through with no serious damage, it’ll hurt like shit for now but just hang on.”

The woman nodded back at Jarvis and then he turned to his fellow medic who was working on their third patient. Siemens had the patient hooked to IVs, and laying on his side so that both chest seals could be seen. There was always a debate on wound side up or wound side down when it came to sucking chest wounds but no study could ever come up with a definitive answer as to which was better for the patient. Jarvis and Siemens both preferred injured side up so that the wound and seals were easily seen and accessed.

Jarvis and Siemens were able to speak easily through the headsets and microphones on their helmets. Jarvis held down the “Push To Talk” button as he moved next to Siemens.
“Those two are stable, hows this one?”
“Stable, and lucky as fuck, the bullet managed to go between the ribs on both entry and exit.”
“Lucky is right, how are the seals holding?”
“Holding well, I replaced the seal on his chest with a vent chest seal. His blood pressure and heart rate are both as expected.”
“Good work, we are almost to the base so keep an eye on the kid.”
“Roger”.

As the Blackhawk reached its final stretch to the field hospital Fisher made the call to the airfield established at the base.
“Tower, Dustoff Three One”
“Dustoff Three One, go ahead”
“Tower, Dustoff Three One is five minutes out, requesting landing at Hotel one with urgent care patients.”
“Dustoff Three One you are cleared for landing at Hotel one.”
“Dustoff Three One copies all, out.”
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 2T2_Crash:
quick note: I do not have my current proof readers checking this over, if you see something off say something please.

In the loud and cramped confines of the cabin behind them knelt Corporal Siemens and Sergeant Jarvis, the later being a stellar medic with two Purple Hearts and an NJP under his belt. Jarvis had been a flight medic for 15 years, during those years he spent as much time in a combat zone as he could which resulted in an extraordinarily high number of casevac missions he had been on. Through the experiences he gained over the years he had developed an almost OCD method to how he worked. Every medical bag had its place, every item in every bag an exact location.

As Sergeant Jarvis knelt amongst his patients he proceeded through his usual process of evaluating those in his care. This was a short flight for a Casevac mission and the three casualties were in pretty stable condition, all things considered. The amputee was his first check, ensuring that the tourniquet was still effectively preventing a bleed out and that none of the shrapnel wounds had developed into massive bleeds.

The blonde nodded at Jarvis as he was already working to pull her clothes away from the wound. The bleed was a slow flow, and aside from the fact that she had a gunshot wound to the abdomen it was seemed to Jarvis that she was very lucky, there were no signs of internal organ or bone damage. Jarvis dug out a new dressing and some gauze and started to work on the entry and exit wound.
View Quote
Thanks for the update!  I pointed out some things that I noticed above.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:42:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2T2_Crash] [#21]
fixed, thankyou!
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
A Solemn Oath (Page 4 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top