Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2011 3:39:28 PM EDT
Just curious if anyone could provide their personal experience with regard to the lifespan of Mr. Heaters. I have had a Big Buddy heater for two years and ran about (10) 20 pound cylinders through it. I always used the recommended filter and the heater was only used in my garage. Now Big Buddys' pilot will extinguish as soon as you release the gas valve knob rendering the heater worthless.

If I'm correct in the diagnosis parts will run me about 30 bucks. I'm wondering if anyone has had a Mr. Heater that has lasted for more than 2 years or that has been trouble free throughout its' life? I was planning on using the heater as an emergency space heater as I keep about 30 gallons of propane on hand but with Big Buddys' failure my plan is now a wash. Has anyone found a more reliable propane heater that is somewhat portable and can be used indoors?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My little and big buddy heaters are 2 years old, but they have not be used as much as yours have. It does sound like buying some new thermocouples sounds like a good idea.

I have kerosene as well so I have a back up to my back up.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just curious if anyone could provide their personal experience with regard to the lifespan of Mr. Heaters. I have had a Big Buddy heater for two years and ran about (10) 20 pound cylinders through it. I always used the recommended filter and the heater was only used in my garage. Now Big Buddys' pilot will extinguish as soon as you release the gas valve knob rendering the heater worthless.

If I'm correct in the diagnosis parts will run me about 30 bucks. I'm wondering if anyone has had a Mr. Heater that has lasted for more than 2 years or that has been trouble free throughout its' life? I was planning on using the heater as an emergency space heater as I keep about 30 gallons of propane on hand but with Big Buddys' failure my plan is now a wash. Has anyone found a more reliable propane heater that is somewhat portable and can be used indoors?

Thanks guys.

I can only say anecdotally that my Big Buddy heater has run through two full (1 month) deer seasons of all day use and occasional use at home also.  I've put two and a half 20's through it and a bunch of 1#'s.  My dad has two more Big Buddies, and they are both running fine so far also.  My brother has been using one for two deer seasons so far with no issues either.  I don't know how much propane he's used so far.  That's a pretty small sample though, so I don't know if they are pretty reliable, or we've just been lucky?

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Now Big Buddys' pilot will extinguish as soon as you release the gas valve knob rendering the heater worthless.

Sounds like either the thermocouple is bad, or not immersed far enough into the pilot flame to keep the burner running - doesn't sound like an expensive fix.

Has anyone found a more reliable propane heater that is somewhat portable and can be used indoors?

The Olympian catalytic heaters are expensive, but superb. You can usually buy them online for considerably less than MSRP.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, I am on my 3rd one. Same thing pilot would not stay lit. At Tractor supply you can get the extened warr, and get them replaced.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I have two Mr heater buddy's that are 5 years old.  Both still work great and no issues.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top