Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
6/29/2012 11:27:51 AM EDT
Howdy my neighbors from the north.  I know you Maize and Blue lovers typically spit on those from the State just south of you, but what can you tell me about SLOWS in Detroit?  Thankfully MI recognizes OH's CHL, but should I bring a NY reload or two?  Been a long time since I've had decent BBQ and I keep hearing about this SLOWs place in Detroit.

Hows the food?

How's the hood SLOWs is located in?

Should I bring extra friends that carry concealed?

TIA
6/29/2012 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't heard of the place, but these days I wouldn't go near Detroit without an MRAP. Things are not getting better.

A nice video on the subject too.
6/29/2012 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't made it there yet, but hear good things.

Go during the day and things will be fine.  It's not that bad around there, but a reload or 3 wouldn't be a bad idea.

Better still, get a couple 33 rd Glock mags.  That doesn't make them machine guns here.  
6/29/2012 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Very good bbq there.  One of my favorite places to eat.  Not a terrible part of town, but I'm always carrying in the city.  Don't leave anything you wanna keep in your car.  I haven't had it happen, but I hear a lot of smash and grabs happen around there.

Oh, and get the Big Three combo plate, or the Yard Bird if you're in the mood for a sandwich, then enjoy your food-coma.
6/29/2012 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I love slows. One of my favorite places. Great selection of craft beer and wonderful food. Stick with any sandwiches and a side of Mac and cheese and you're golden.

Don't go before a sporting event, the place gets packed, and it's not uncommon for there to be a 1/2 hour wait. However, right when the first pitch or puck is dropped the place clears out.
6/29/2012 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
there are some good bbq jouints in the suberbs too lazybones and rubs for example
6/29/2012 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm gonna have to check this place out.  I carry with two spare mags when I go into Detroit.  I also always drive my little car as I don't worry about it getting stolen when I take it down in the city.  Chances of it getting stolen are much more remote as it's a stick.  
6/29/2012 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Great food. Get the sampler that has brisket, pulled pork and BBQ chicken. If you aren't there with the lunch crowd around 10 or 11am you're going to wait a little while. They have a decent bourbon selection too. Red Smoke in Greektown is pretty decent too. Go to the Detroiter Bar for burgers.
 
6/29/2012 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Sweet Water is better.
6/29/2012 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#9]



Quoted:


Sweet Water is better.


Nope, but I did eat there the night of the fireworks. Pulled pork sandwich was good and my co-worker enjoyed the wings.



 
6/30/2012 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Macaroni there is awesome. Sounds weird but it is amazing. If you travel north an hour to Fenton there is a BBQ called Beale Street. Great food. Cooks are from somewhere south of Michigan. Highly recommended with a good price to boot.
7/1/2012 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#11]



Quoted:


Great food. Get the sampler that has brisket, pulled pork and BBQ chicken. If you aren't there with the lunch crowd around 10 or 11am you're going to wait a little while. They have a decent bourbon selection too. Red Smoke in Greektown is pretty decent too. Go to the Detroiter Bar for burgers.  


I think Slows is mediocre at best.

 



I concur with the Detroiter for bar burgers...for Detroit.






7/2/2012 6:07:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Slow's is very good.



If you get there when it's busy expect to wait an hour or more.



I know is anathema on this board but they have a really good salad.

It's spinach with bacon, caramelized onions, with a smoked tomato dressing. You can get pulled port, brisket, or chicken added too.



The macaroni and cheese is outstanding and the cole slaw is actually worth paying for.

Their gumbo is very good too.



7/2/2012 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#13]



Quoted:





Quoted:

Great food. Get the sampler that has brisket, pulled pork and BBQ chicken. If you aren't there with the lunch crowd around 10 or 11am you're going to wait a little while. They have a decent bourbon selection too. Red Smoke in Greektown is pretty decent too. Go to the Detroiter Bar for burgers.  


I think Slows is mediocre at best.  



I concur with the Detroiter for bar burgers...for Detroit.








For Detroit, Slow's is top dog. If we were talking Memphis or St. Louis, I would change my selection. There's a place up on 23 mile in the New Baltimore area that's supposed to be pretty damn good.



 
8/25/2012 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#14]
MMMMMM Sloooowwwwsssssss  (in homer simpsons voice).

never had a bad meal there. Get the Yard Bird sandwich, mmmmmm

J-
8/25/2012 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Great food. Get the sampler that has brisket, pulled pork and BBQ chicken. If you aren't there with the lunch crowd around 10 or 11am you're going to wait a little while. They have a decent bourbon selection too. Red Smoke in Greektown is pretty decent too. Go to the Detroiter Bar for burgers.  

I think Slows is mediocre at best.  

I concur with the Detroiter for bar burgers...for Detroit.



For Detroit, Slow's is top dog. If we were talking Memphis or St. Louis, I would change my selection. There's a place up on 23 mile in the New Baltimore area that's supposed to be pretty damn good.
 


Bad Brads. Pretty damn good IMHO, they also just opened one up in Shelby Twp, 23 between Van Dyke and Mound.
8/26/2012 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Howdy my neighbors from the north.  I know you Maize and Blue lovers typically spit on those from the State just south of you, but what can you tell me about SLOWS in Detroit?  Thankfully MI recognizes OH's CHL, but should I bring a NY reload or two?  Been a long time since I've had decent BBQ and I keep hearing about this SLOWs place in Detroit.

Hows the food?

Food coma inducing.

How's the hood SLOWs is located in?

Ok for Detroit, shady by normal standards.


Should I bring extra friends that carry concealed?

Yes. The restaurant itself is safe, outside of it not so much.

TIA


Also, expect up to a 2 hour wait on Thursday-Sunday. They do not take reservations in advance.

Edit: Holy zombie thread resurrection!
8/27/2012 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Great food. Get the sampler that has brisket, pulled pork and BBQ chicken. If you aren't there with the lunch crowd around 10 or 11am you're going to wait a little while. They have a decent bourbon selection too. Red Smoke in Greektown is pretty decent too. Go to the Detroiter Bar for burgers.  

I think Slows is mediocre at best.  

I concur with the Detroiter for bar burgers...for Detroit.




I haven't had slows, but plus 1 for the burgers from the Detroiter.
8/28/2012 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sweet Water is better.


Nicholas is even better, and supports ARFCOM....
8/29/2012 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sweet Water is better.


Nicholas is even better, and supports ARFCOM....


Damn good grub there as well.

9/3/2012 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Went to Nikola's this weekend with the family, had me some pork chops..[:P Dad had Quesadillas and the wimmenz had salads.

It was good. (burp)
9/4/2012 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Great food. Get the sampler that has brisket, pulled pork and BBQ chicken. If you aren't there with the lunch crowd around 10 or 11am you're going to wait a little while. They have a decent bourbon selection too. Red Smoke in Greektown is pretty decent too. Go to the Detroiter Bar for burgers.  

I think Slows is mediocre at best.  

I concur with the Detroiter for bar burgers...for Detroit.



For Detroit, Slow's is top dog. If we were talking Memphis or St. Louis, I would change my selection. There's a place up on 23 mile in the New Baltimore area that's supposed to be pretty damn good.
 


Bad Brads. Pretty damn good IMHO, they also just opened one up in Shelby Twp, 23 between Van Dyke and Mound.




I have to add my 2 cents.

I've been to Slow's a few times for lunch with people from work.  I didn't pick it.  Food was okay.  I think I just got a pulled pork sandwich each time.  I didn't think it was anything special.

We went to Bad Brad's in Shelby yesterday.  It will probably be my only visit.  I got the three meat combo with fries and the brisket chowder.  The chowder was great.  I didn't notice a smoke ring on the brisket.  The meat tasted okay.  Pulled pork is pulled pork.  Kind of hard to screw up.  There was something about the sausage that tasted different than I am used to.  I don't know if the meat inside was ground up finer than normal or what it was.  It just tasted different enough that I wouldn't get it again.

They had five different bbq sauces - sweet, sour, some version of mustard, spicy and a combination of sweet, sour and spicy.  I didn't particularly like any of them.

I ate my leftovers tonight.  I put Famous Dave's Devil Spit on the brisket and pork and Georgia Mustard on the sausage.

It also seemed a little expensive.  $100 for five of us - three got pulled pork sandwiches and I think we had four sodas.

I prefer Famous Dave's (I think there are four of them in the Detroit/Flint area) or Jack's in Nashville (a little far to drive for dinner) or even Rudy's in San Antonio (way to far to drive for dinner).  There is also Dickey's in Troy on Rochester Road (cafeteria style, a little more expensive than you would think it should be).

Raffi

9/7/2012 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Try the Roundhouse in Trenton. It is very good and prices are reasonable. I usually get the brisket or baby back ribs. I have been to Slo's a few times but hate the wait and the food is so so, overated as far as BBQ goes.
9/9/2012 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Howdy my neighbors from the north.  I know you Maize and Blue lovers typically spit on those from the State just south of you, but what can you tell me about SLOWS in Detroit?  Thankfully MI recognizes OH's CHL, but should I bring a NY reload or two?  Been a long time since I've had decent BBQ and I keep hearing about this SLOWs place in Detroit.

Hows the food?

How's the hood SLOWs is located in?

Should I bring extra friends that carry concealed?

TIA


If that's the one down the street from the old Tiger stadium it's fantastic, and I went there unarmed.

It's all businesses. No homes. It'll be no worse than anywhere else in Michigan.
9/9/2012 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#24]
As Dave said - NIKOLA'S!  (I'm biased though!)   25225 Telegraph at 10 Mile in Southfield, next to Shield's, just south of 696.  You won't have to wait 2 hours or worry about how many mags to bring, but feel free.

We DO have one of the cleanest restaurants in Oakland County and are known all over for our ribs, BBQ and broasted chicken.  I love the babybacks.  And I'd be surprised if you found a better value for your $.  Got some great salads and pizza as well as an extensive cocktail menu and live jazz every THURSDAY nite.

I gotta figure out when we're doing the next Nikola's Gun Show.  For those that haven't been we've done them on a SATURDAY from 12-4 and we close down one dining room and lay out all the cool toys - silencers, MGs, rifles, pistols, knives, etc.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In