Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Tacked Places to shoot in Ohio (Page 4 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 4:52:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SirDrinksAlot] [#1]

Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
Anybody know a good place for Blasting/Plinking in SW Ohio? .

Originally Posted By usafsf83:
Are there any good places open to the public in driving distance to Cincinnati besides Target world?

Originally Posted By SirDrinksAlot:
Any places to shoot rifles in Southern Ohio?

Originally Posted By Sassafras:
I'm also looking for places to shoot in southern ohio.

Come on guys. Any ideas on where we can shoot?

The only practical place for us is Miami Rifle and pistol club.

www.miamirifle-pistol.org/index.html
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:12:26 AM EDT
[#2]
so has everyone heard that riverside range in cuyahoga falls, oh is closed for a couple months.  i guess they had a fire or something... anyone know of any other ranges around that area?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I live near westerville but usually head over to Dillon State Park and there rifle range that is ran indepently now, it has about a 25 yard pistol and a 100 yard rifle along with a skeet range
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Well with River Side Range down "Till God only knows" We are very limted in N.E.Ohio.

Stone Wall, Will let you shoot Rifles on limited days, of Mon,Wed,Fri. And you can only load one round into the mag at a time. So YES, They are beging very careful with rifles. And seem very handgun friendly.

Another Indoor range we found is in Canal Fulton,Ohio Is Handgun,carbine in pistol cailbers, Rimfire rifle ONLY.   NO AR's

There are some Indoor ranges in Lake Co., But I am not up on there location.

And as for the ODNR range in Trumbull Co., I beleave they are CLOSED the months of JAN.FEB, and maybe they reopen in mid march depending on the weather. But I  know for sure they are not speed shooting freindly at all. NO BURSTS... As per the range master...
Link Posted: 1/13/2007 8:50:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: akuser-47] [#5]
Slash I used to be a member of UCOA but unless they do any expasion of this facility it's to crouded. on a nice day you almost need a rangemaster just to get some time in a lane pistol or rifle. For $25 a year when I was their not to upsetting, u might not like some of the senoirs that take up bench space thinking it's a coffe shop!
Link Posted: 2/4/2007 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
In SW Ohio, has anyone mentioned the ODNR range at Spring Valley off SR 42 near Ceaser's Creek?
Link Posted: 2/4/2007 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I appologize if i missed it somewhere in this thread, but the range at Spring Valley off 42 south of Xenia is a nice ODNR range.

I've watched it come a long way in the last 10 years. I remember when it was just a dirt backstop and you could shoot clay pidgeons laying on the ground. Now the firing line is covered, there's nice shooting benches, and there's target posts with wire strung between them to hang targets.

It has my vote for a local, close to home outdoor rifle friendly range.

I go to Lauhorners in Springfield to shoot pistols indoors.
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#8]
It might be out of the way for some, but Darke Co. Fish & Game, south of New Madison, has an outdoor range. $25/year and there's also a pond for fishing. I just reupped my membership for 2007. Of course, Lord only knows when the weather will improve enough that I can go shootin'.
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I LIve in Eaton ohio, and used to be a member there....  Where can i go to get a membership again? I know they used to do it there at the little trailer, where the care taker lived ( i think) .  

Please let me know, as i need a place to shoot my ar's an do some pistol shooting.

thanks

colt!

Link Posted: 2/8/2007 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Originally Posted By colt_sniper:
I LIve in Eaton ohio, and used to be a member there....  Where can i go to get a membership again? I know they used to do it there at the little trailer, where the care taker lived ( i think) .  

Please let me know, as i need a place to shoot my ar's an do some pistol shooting.

thanks

colt!

Not sure about guy on the grounds, but you can go to the bank in New Madison (forget the name, one right by the stoplight on the main drag) and pick up membership form and pay there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#11]
The name of the bank is Farmer's State Bank. Maybe see you there sometime!
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ohioarmedneutrality:
It might be out of the way for some, but Darke Co. Fish & Game, south of New Madison, has an outdoor range. $25/year and there's also a pond for fishing. I just reupped my membership for 2007. Of course, Lord only knows when the weather will improve enough that I can go shootin'. [/quote

Are they full auto friendly? I live in Jamestown east of Dayton. Need some place to shoot since Millers closed.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#13]
No, DCF&G is not "full-auto" friendly. According to their rules, "Fully automatic weapons ("machine guns") are not permitted to be fired on the range. Firearms with selector switches that will permit full automatic firing are also banned."
Semi-auto seems to be OK, but no "bump firing" ("Shooters will allow at least 3 seconds to elapse between shots or they may be asked to leave.") and they aren't keen on hi capacity mags (over 10 rounds.) Their rules state "It is preferred that all centerfire rifles will be loaded one round at a time. Rimfire .22's may be loaded with no more than 10 rounds at a time. However, NO firearm shall be loaded with more than 10 rounds at any time."
Since I currently only have 30-round mags for my WASR, when I go there, I would only put 10 rounds (or less) in them. My two bolt actions (K-31 and M-44) take 6 and 5 rounds respectively, so those aren't be out of bounds.
For $25 a year for you and your immediate family, that's not a bad deal, even with the restrictions. Plus you don't have to be an NRA member like some other ranges require.
Hopefully you can find a place to fire full auto. That sounds like fun!
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#14]
well it looks like I wont be joining back up with the DCF&G afterall.....  I like to practice with full capacity in my weapons , for work, which means 14 rounds of 45acp, an shooting double taps into my target..  , not to mention going from my carbine into a transition to a side arm.....  

Guess i will stick with the other ranges i belong to , an continue drving 50 miles to shoot......

colt!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#15]
MIDDLETOWN SPORTSMANS CLUB JUST OUTSIDE OF MIDDLETOWN,OH.IT HAS 7,25,50,75,100&200 YARD RANGE THEY ALSO HAVE TRAP,SKEET AND SPORTING CLAYS.THERE IS ALSO A GOOD FISHING LAKE THAT IS KEPT STOCKED.IT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR ABOUT 70 YEARS AND IS VERY FRIENDLY TO US VETS AND SCOUTS
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By garymolly1:
MIDDLETOWN SPORTSMANS CLUB JUST OUTSIDE OF MIDDLETOWN,OH.IT HAS 7,25,50,75,100&200 YARD RANGE THEY ALSO HAVE TRAP,SKEET AND SPORTING CLAYS.THERE IS ALSO A GOOD FISHING LAKE THAT IS KEPT STOCKED.IT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR ABOUT 70 YEARS AND IS VERY FRIENDLY TO US VETS AND SCOUTS

Are they full auto friendly  I live in Jamestown east of Dayton
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#17]
NOT ANYMORE . SOME IDIOTS ABUSED IT ABOUT 15YRS AGO AND CHEWED UP THE CLOSE RANGE MOUNDS. SO NOW ITS SEMI AND SOME RAPID FIRE ONLY SORRY
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I wonder if that could be changed if it was that long ago. I found the web site and somewhat ask that question just to see what kind of response I got. I don’t think the forums get that much traffic may take awhile.  My brother shoots trap at MSC I’ll let him check on it.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2007 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I noticed that the Ohio Div. of wildlife website lists a couple of "unsupervised" rifle ranges.  Has any one ever gone to one of these?  I am hesitant to go to one solo, having seen some very suspect behavior at informal "range" back in California.  I'd like the chance to do some fast semi-auto shooting and practce drawing from a holster without ticking off a rangemaster.

It lists
Monroe Lake Wildlife Area
Tranquility Wildlife Area
Wolf Creek Wildlife Area

As having class b unsupervised ranges.  Anybody ever been to one of these?  What did you think?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2007 5:29:45 AM EDT
[#20]
anyone happen to know any decent ranges between dayton and lima? im about halfway inbetween in sindey and lookin for a decent place to shoot.

andy
Link Posted: 3/14/2007 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I've heard of a range in North Royalton, driven by it, but i dont know anything about it, anyone been there

North Royalton - Sycamore Hill Rifle Club, Inc., 10009 Lynn Dr., North Royalton, OH 44133.
Phone: 440-237-8676
Facilities include: Outdoor Rifle (200 & 300 yds)
Range Access: Private

This is the one i saw, right around the corner from my uncles place, anyone know anything?

How about this one?

South Cuyahoga Sportsmen's Assoc. (SCSA), 19300 Ridge Road, North Royalton, OH 44133.
Phone: 216-671-7422
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (50 yds), Outdoor Rifle (100 yds), Muzzleloading, Trap, Airgun
Range Access: Public
Link Posted: 3/16/2007 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By seiboob:
anyone happen to know any decent ranges between dayton and lima? im about halfway inbetween in sindey and lookin for a decent place to shoot.

andy

Andy,

Pick a field.    Many of the farms up that way have their own backstops.  One guy my dad worked with had a 400yd range.  Another guy up that way has 200yd setup.  Heck, I've been known to shoot up at my friend's family's farm.  But I try not to bring out the big guns (not a proper backstop and too many new houses popping up) and no FA... there are too many sheeple from the city moving to the country... complaining about farm smells and dust/dirt from harvesting...

We have all been royally screwwed since Millers was shut down.    That was my main shooting area.

I joined Troy Fish and Game, but haven't been up to shoot, yet, since the weather has been so cruddy and it is the opposite way from all my travels.
Link Posted: 3/17/2007 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Where is a place to shoot near Wooster? Im not familiar with the area, dont even live there yet. Im looking for a range that allows for rapid fire, allows you to shoot and move, within reason, where I can wear body armor without everyone calling the police. Does such a range exist?
Link Posted: 3/19/2007 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#24]
where is troy fish and game? and do you know what kinda range setup they have?

andy
Link Posted: 3/20/2007 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By seiboob:
where is troy fish and game? and do you know what kinda range setup they have?

andy

East of Troy on LeFever Road.  I haven't been there in years, so I don't know if it has changed or not but it was poorly supervised with immediate access to the bar.  They had a 100 yard range along with a shorter pistol range.

Link Posted: 3/22/2007 1:31:24 AM EDT
[#26]
So I've been going through all the listings and it seems that the closest trap and skeet range to greater Cleveland is A&A. Since I'm starting a club on college campus, an hour's drive to the country every time may not be completely practical. Anyone know of a closer place?

Heck, maybe I should just start my own clay range!
Link Posted: 3/26/2007 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Anything close to Rootstown?? I just moved here from N. Geauga Co. and hate driving an hour to shoot.  (especially to A+A, the land of to many people, falling on your ass from brass, 500 cease-fires an hour, etc.)
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#28]
mansfield, oh here.
looking for an outdoor range for rifles and pistols. maybe clay pigeons.
can anyone help me .
public range? someones farm?

Link Posted: 4/15/2007 10:04:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MEDIC-0372] [#29]
www.eriecountycl.com

Very nice place in Erie County.
Link Posted: 5/2/2007 10:54:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ipsilateral_7] [#30]
Anyone know anything about these ranges?  I'd prefer a private range within reasonable distance from Cleveland (30-45 minute drive)  I would like IDPA, and possibly 3-gun matches, but this isn't mandatory.

Fort St. Clair Gun Club, Inc., Eaton, OH 45320.
West Branch Rifle and Pistol Club
Crooked Creek Conservation Club,  Euclid, OH 44132.
Streetsboro Sportsman Assication,  Garettsville, OH 44231
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Club, ., Geneva, OH 44040.
Top Gun, , Middlefield, OH 44062.
Targething Pro Shop and Range,  Nelsons Ledges, OH 44231
South Cuyahoga Sportsmen's Assoc. (SCSA),  North Royalton, OH 44133
Erie County Conservation League, Sandusky, OH 44871

Link Posted: 5/26/2007 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#31]
The Streetsboro Sportsmans Assoc. is geared more for someone who wants to shoot competitivly. They shoot just about anything you can think of and if you have a new idea and there is enough interest you can have a new match. I'm not sure how easy it is to become a member though. I maybe wrong but you probably have to get sponsored by an active member or two and I know you have to put in a certain number of hours of service to stay active. There are some great shooters with tons of info. If you like to shoot a wide range of firearms its a nice range. I can tell you they do not want yahoo's who just want a place to blast away at tin cans or come out 2 days before deer season to sight in their rifle. If you are interested I can put you in touch with the president of the club.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 12:59:29 AM EDT
[#32]
height=8
height=8
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
Anybody know a good place for Blasting/Plinking in SW Ohio? .

height=8
Originally Posted By usafsf83:
Are there any good places open to the public in driving distance to Cincinnati besides Target world?

height=8
Any places to shoot rifles in Southern Ohio?

height=8
Originally Posted By Sassafras:
I'm also looking for places to shoot in southern ohio.

Come on guys. here
The only practical place for us is Miami Rifle and pistol club.

www.miamirifle-pistol.org/index.html

I haven't been there yet but I plan on going to Spring Valley on Friday, it's a DNR Range in SW Ohio, outside Xenia.
Link Posted: 6/25/2007 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Miami Valley Rifle and Pistol is at full capacity. Rumor has it they are going to limit membership.
Fairfield Sportsmen Association recently told me they will never reopen the range, not even the 100 yard. I have been a member for 25 years and feel totally screwed by the shot gun snobs. We had discussions some time ago about how to reopen it but they didn't go anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/19/2007 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#34]
any public out door range around Cleveland?  i have been going to stonewall every now and then.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2007 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I went out to the A&A Shooting Club range in Portage County today. Their web site advertises hours during weekdays 8-4. I showed up at 9:30 AM. It is on a farm property in Nelson Township near the sports car race track. Anyway, I pulled in and saw the sign about stopping at the front house to sign in and pay for the first hour. I rang the bell and knocked for 30 minutes. Drove farther in and looked around but not a soul or vehicle in sight. I turned around and left.hat
I have a new AR15 and a new pistol I wanted to start breaking in and get a good BZO on the iron sights. I guess I'll have to try the ODNR Grand River range, but it is about an hour drive vs. 30 minutes to A&A.

Anyone have a positive experience with A&A?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I went and spent the day at the ODNR Grand River target range in Farmington today, and wow - it was really nice! 25, 50, and 100 yd ranges with a Range Safety Officer on duty, covered shooting stalls with shooting benches on a concrete pad with a concrete walk out to the backstop berm, and an irrigated (sprinklered) lawn. You are allowed to eat or smoke while in the stalls if you bring your own refreshments, and there is a porta-john that wasn't stinky even though it was 90 degrees out.

I live in Portage County and it took me 40 minutes to get there. I think it is worth the drive from most points in Portage, Summit, Geauga, Lake, and of course Trumbull counties.

I was the only one there with a black rifle, but the dozen or so other shooters I encountered there on a weekday were all cordial and friendly and the RSO was a real nice fella.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Every day I drive past a gun range at 39.186656, -84.291090 (dump the latitude and longitude into maps.google.com and zoom in).

It's located in Camp Dennison, basically between Indian Hill and Milford on Cincinnati's east side, on OH-126 (aka Glendale-Milford Road in this stretch).

Looks like a 100 yard range, but I can not find any information about this place.  Nothing at all.  There's no signs, other than 'Warning - Active Firing Range' and 'No Unauthorized Access' on the fence and gate.  

I know it's still an active range because I sometimes hear gunfire as I drive past.  Maybe it's a police training only range?  Any LEO's in here know this place?

Jordan
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#39]
height=8
Originally Posted By docmcb:
I went out to the A&A Shooting Club range in Portage County today. Their web site advertises hours during weekdays 8-4. I showed up at 9:30 AM. It is on a farm property in Nelson Township near the sports car race track. Anyway, I pulled in and saw the sign about stopping at the front house to sign in and pay for the first hour. I rang the bell and knocked for 30 minutes. Drove farther in and looked around but not a soul or vehicle in sight. I turned around and left.hat
I have a new AR15 and a new pistol I wanted to start breaking in and get a good BZO on the iron sights. I guess I'll have to try the ODNR Grand River range, but it is about an hour drive vs. 30 minutes to A&A.

Anyone have a positive experience with A&A?I have shot a couple of times at A&A.  I went out on a Thursday night, when the shop is open, and I have been there on a Monday morning, and left my license with the older woman in the house.  I think it's a little sketchy at best.  The ranges are decent, especially the pistol one, but the fact that people can bring their trash there and shoot it is a little annoying.  Have to have cash to pay as well.  I kind of prefer the flexibility to pay with plastic versus needing cash.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2007 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I went to the Outdoor range yesterday for the first time in West Farmington, Ohio. I was impressed how clean it was and the different ranges there. I am not a big fan of A & A range off 422 & fencemaker rd.
Link Posted: 10/30/2007 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#41]
I would say Tuscawarus County Shooting range it has handgun, rifle, and trap shooting ranges. the rifle ranges are from 100yds.- 600yds. and they also have indoor handgun ranges and IDPA. And at the "Utility Range" you can shoot anything from Full auto guns to .50 BMG to 20mm rifles and 40mm grenade launchers.

Link Posted: 11/7/2007 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#42]
height=8
Originally Posted By ipsilateral_7: South Cuyahoga Sportsmen's Assoc. (SCSA),  North Royalton, OH 44133

i tried calling them yet to avail.  all i got was some off the wall answering machine message about returning when the sunshine and moonshine are gone.  i went to stonewall with my ak only to get denied that couldn't use my fmj rounds i bought.  so are there any in/outdoor ranges where i can shoot the fmj ak rounds.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By olds71:
So I've been going through all the listings and it seems that the closest trap and skeet range to greater Cleveland is A&A.

Orwell Gun Club, in Orwell (of all places) is a trap shooting club with a 100 yard rifle range.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I shot at Vandalia Armory Sunday and got a peek at the new 100 yard under ground rifle range and the new tacktical pistol range. The new pistol range will be a move and shoot range. They plan on having IDPA matchs and things like that. they hope to have them both open in a couple months.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 3:35:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MW1831] [#45]
Atwell's Police and Fire in Painesville has indoor pistol. I'm still looking for somewhere close to shoot rifle. I might have to try that Ohio Div of Wildlife range in farmington.

ATWELL'S POLICE & FIRE EQUIPMENT
207 CHESTNUT ST
PAINESVILLE, OH
(440) 354-5593
Link Posted: 1/11/2008 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Since Miller's Campground had to shut down the firing range any other places to shoot around northern Cincinnati/Lebanon area? Not into Spring Valley unless sighting in something. Miami Valley range-getting harder to get into as is Middletown. What is the chance of getting into Bell's station near exit 69 off I71?
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 12:23:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: srlee] [#47]
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#48]
http/scsa/info/ great club open membership
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By brushwood4:
http/scsa/info/ great club open membership

Need a better link, doesn't work
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#50]
sorry try
South Cuyahoga Sportsmens' Association
three club grounds 200 yard range
Page / 9
Tacked Places to shoot in Ohio (Page 4 of 9)
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top