Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 1/29/2006 8:37:08 PM EDT
Dan:

I am looking for a first aid kit for my truck and don't like what I find commercially. They seem to be full of bandaids and Pamprin and not meant to really do what I think they should do.

I use my truck as a base for ATV riding, hunting and other outdoor activities. I also spend a lot of time on the road and have had the need to assist people right after auto and motorcycle accidents.

Can you point me in a direction for a commerical kit or maybe give me an idea about what I would need to build my own? I am posting directly to the forum rather than IM you, might be others interested in this also.

Thanks Dan..

Scott
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#2]
So medicmandan, which of these would be good for using as a gunshot wound compress? The trauma dressing?

This is a good topic for a shooters forum. Even though the only time I've been around a human with a gun shot wound it hardly bled at all (he shot himself through the right calf muscle with a .22 pistol), most probably do.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

This is a good topic for a shooters forum. Even though the only time I've been around a human with a gun shot wound it hardly bled at all (he shot himself through the right calf muscle with a .22 pistol), most probably do.

Not surprising, actually.  I've found bullet holes from larger centerfire stuff that bleed little or none at the entry site, too.  Location matters; a head shot will likely be much messier than a little hole in a fat guy's thigh.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
you may need to seal it with an asherman chest seal or vaseline guaze to help prevent a tension pneumothorax.

Damn, the  asherman chest seals are spendy little devils. Still, it might be a good idea to throw something together.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Not surprising, actually.  I've found bullet holes from larger centerfire stuff that bleed little or none at the entry site, too.  Location matters; a head shot will likely be much messier than a little hole in a fat guy's thigh.

Hey!  Are you saying, if you are trying to shoot me, aim for the thigh?  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Hey!  Are you saying, if you are trying to shoot me, aim for the thigh?  

Nope.  

I got shot in the thigh (.22 cal, though), and am a man of no little bulk.  It didn't bleed much at all.
You'd be surprised how little surface damage penetrating trauma can do.  1" slit in the skin can mean a collapsed lung and damage to major arteries.  I am not, of course, referring to an event that may have made the news in the last couple days, and know nothing about the persons or injuries involved.  HIPAA rules.

Medicmandan, what do you think about taping a sandwich bag on 3 sides over a sucking chest wound?  What you lose in style points and sterility you gain in economy.

...and in no way should that last bit be considered actual medical advice, gang.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been told asherman chest seal's are free to any VFD/VEMS service in Wyoming if they ask. Seems the guy who designed them lives somewhere in WY.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:08:07 AM EDT
[#10]
medicman - thanks again for the info - it reminded me to go and review my kits again and look for items to add. Unfortunately, I found I was behind on my maintenace and have to replace items I robbed over the past year.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Dan:

Sorry I haven't responded back to my post sooner. I have been in New Orleans helping rebuild some business and family properties...

Thx for the info..I have only what I would consider a slightly advanced basic first aid training and won't pack beyond my ability. I just seem to have the kind of Karma that puts me in first responder positions quite often. Usually when I am on my Hog in the middle of nowhere. Packing fast and light is a must so a small trauma pack would be in order.

Thx again

Scott

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:09:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Your kit needs to be packed according to your skills.  Filling it with equipment and supplies you are not qualified to use needlessly takes up space and could open you up to some liability issues.  The Good Samaritan Act only protects you if you only provide care according to your level of training.

That being said, start with a bag.  How big a space do you want it take up?  I tried some of these Statpacks at the last EMS conference.  They are very well built and well compartmentalized.  They are a little expensive though.  If you decide to go that route, I'll get you some local contact info.  

What training level do you have?  Combat medic?  First Aid?  EMT?  That will help me give you a better opinion on what to stock in your kit.

Here's an overview of my trunk kit, but keep in mind I also use this while on duty:

Large Trauma Dressings
Abdominal Dressings
Sterile Burn Dressings
Asherman Chest Seal
Charcoal
Glucose
Sterile Water
Saline (for irrigation)
Kerlix
Ace Bandages
Sam Splints
Assorted guaze and bandaging materials
Vaseline Gauze
An oxygen setup, with nasal cannulas, NRB masks and an adult/ped BVM
An intubation kit
BP Cuff
Stethescope

I'm sure I'm missing something but those are the materials I access the most.

Where's the duct tape??
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top