Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2002 10:06:30 AM EDT
I thought it would be a good idea if everyone would post their ranges and brief description and link<if available>

This way we could begin to compile a list of places to shoot for event planning.

mike
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#1]
FOP range in pleasent grove AL. Public range 10.00 per day. Complete line of gun care and reloading supplies sold in club house.

www.foprangeinc.com
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#2]
www.blue-and-gray.org

200 yd, 100 yd, 50 yd (covered), and a "plinkin area"

about $30 a year for NRA members.

Not very fancy, but I feel alot "safer" than the public range at Swan Creek by decatur...

This is a members only club, I have only recently joined...You can bring guests though, and there is no charge for guests like I see other clubs charge.

They don't do full auto there because they are on leased land from the TVA right on Guntersville dam road.

The TVA doesn't want that much lead in the soil there any of course they don't want any bad publicity or anything like that.  They seem to take everything very seriously, as it should be (and because the lease is renewed every year, so we have to be good.

Link Posted: 12/18/2002 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot at the public range on the Swan Creek Wildlife Management Area near Decatur. There are 25, 50, and 100 yd ranges available, and no fees that I'm aware of (AL hunting license or WMA permit is required). The range closes for duck season, and I've been told that a canopy over the shooting tables is currently under construction.

There is also a 25 yd indoor range at Larry's Pistol & Pawn on N Memorial Pkwy in Huntsville. Details and phone number are available at www.larryswholesalegun.com. About a dozen lanes are available, and IIRC the range fee is now $7.00.

Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've been there  few times, but I don't feel all that safe with the beer cans and shot-up trashcans all over the place...

There is an old vet at "the blue-and-gray club I go to" that says he's been in combat, and woudl rather go back into combat again than to go to swan creek LOL!!!

I really like the privacy of the private club... 30 a year! you can beat that wid a stick!  

Swan Creek does tend to attract weirdos/idiots, but I usually have the place to myself when I go there. The only time it's really crowded is right before deer season opens (helmet and body armor are recommended during October and early November ). I live in Athens, so it's a really convenient location for me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I went one time Sept-October timeframe and it was linda scarry..

But I went iin June-July about 1300 in the hot ass sun, and we were the only ones there

Link Posted: 12/22/2002 4:57:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've been there  few times, but I don't feel all that safe with the beer cans and shot-up trashcans all over the place...

There is an old vet at "the blue-and-gray club I go to" that says he's been in combat, and woudl rather go back into combat again than to go to swan creek LOL!!!

I really like the privacy of the private club... 30 a year! you can beat that wid a stick!  

I've been shooting at Swan Creek for several years & while I've heard of some serious problems there, I've never experienced any myself.  However, Swan Creek is about the only place that I do carry, mainly to try and prevent any problems.  

Rick

Congrats on becoming a mod here Mike.  I haven't visited this palce in a looooooong time!

It's good to be back.

Link Posted: 12/26/2002 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#8]
FOP since they allow full auto and sre nice guys.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 12:29:11 AM EDT
[#9]
There are a couple of good ranges near me.

The Mobile Shooting Center in way out west Mobile county.  They have pretty nice 100 yard rifle, 25 yard pistol and clay shooting ranges.  The folks that run the place are very nice and helpful.  The prices on guns are pretty good too.  Woody Woodworth (AR15.com member) is their web master.

The Precision Shooting Club is just north of me in Saraland.  They have a nice indoor pistol range and pretty good handgun inventory.  They hold IPSC matches as well as steel plate and bowling pin matches.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:01:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Moss Hill Gun Club, a private club/range in west Mobile County with a rifle range out to about 290 - 300 yards along a pistol range.  Covered posistions.  Some steel.  I am NOT a member and go regularly as a guest.  However, I have been told that there is a very good chance that the club will soon lose this property, which is owned by the Mobile County School Board.

Stix River Shooting Center, central Baldwin County, just off I-10 at the Wilcox Road exit.  Rifle, pistol and shotgun ranges.  Now under new ownership / management and I haven't been there since the change.

FOP range, Fairhope.  Handguns and .22's only.

Gold Mine Pawn Shop, Daphne. Small, indoor range.  3 lanes and 25 yards, if I correctly recall.  
thethreeballs.com/default.htm

Not sure how current the following list is, but it may be helpful -
home.hiwaay.net/~stargate/seasons/ranges.htm
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#11]
This is where I usualy shoot. Guns4U range

I've been here a couple of time.  Shoal River sporting clays

I've never been here, but it looks like a nice range. Pensacola rifle and pistol range
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I shoot at Swan Creek and have had only minor problems over the last 10 years or so. They have a range officer on duty most of the time now and he will ask you to leave if you are not doing right.

Eddie
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Central MS ranges:

Magnolia Rifle & Pistol Club,  Byram MS
www.magnoliarpc.com

25, 50, 100, 200, 300 yd ranges
Monthly IPSC, Hi-power, and Silhouette matches
(non-members may compete in matches)
Membership $100 1st year, $75 following years.

see also www.teammagnolia.com for the IPSC club

Surplus City Indoor range, Clinton MS
25yd indoor pistol range
50-yd indoor rifle range
$10/hour,  membership plans available
Pistol competition every Thursday at about 6:00
Bring a centerfire pistol, and 50 rds of ammo
- course of fire different every week, but always 50 rds

Sherman Hill Public Shooting Center, Forest MS
Open to the public. $7 per range, per day IIRC
Pistol, shotgun, & 300 yd rifle range.  
(It has been a while since I was there, some details may have changed)

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There are a couple of good ranges near me.

The Mobile Shooting Center in way out west Mobile county.  {snip}  The prices on guns are pretty good too.  Woody Woodworth (AR15.com member) is their web master.

USPC40

SHHHHHHH!  You weren't supposed to tell.  But seriously, they do have very good pricing on everything, and what they don't have, they will get for you.  

NOW, does anyone have any info on the supposed long rifle range (1000 yd) that supposedly exists right over the state line in Mississippi (in Pascagoula/Moss Point area)???  I'd like to reach out a little further than 100 yards sometimes...  
Link Posted: 1/17/2003 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Moss Hill Gun Club, a private club/range in west Mobile County with a rifle range out to about 290 - 300 yards along a pistol range.  Covered posistions.  Some steel.  I am NOT a member and go regularly as a guest.  However, I have been told that there is a very good chance that the club will soon lose this property, which is owned by the Mobile County School Board.

You are correct.  I am a member of Moss Hill Gun Club.  We will be losing our land as soon as the school is completed.  The club officers are in the process of trying to find another piece of property to lease or even purchase.  I was unable to attend the meeting held in December and the next meeting is in February, so I don't know what the status of any new land is.
Link Posted: 1/31/2003 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#16]
i shoot at the blue and gray as well as swan creek.....i only live 15 minutes from swan creek.....the county biologist is in charge of it and is one of my church members. the old guy that oversee's it is a vet and a nice guy.i am a member of the alabama service rifle team and compete in a highpower match the first saturday of each month at 9am at the blue and gray.....u guys come shoot..ask for the preacher..that will be me........hope to see u guys.*EDITED* I now live in big cove south of huntsville.
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Palo Alto Gun Club Range in Donaldsonville, LA. We are now open and have up to 600 yards. Emailto:[email protected]
Address of club: P.O. Box 248, Baton Rouge, LA 70821 Website: www.paloaltogunclub.com

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Anything in the Auburn area?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#19]
When push comes down to shove, there is also a small range located in the Bankhead National Forest.  It's on Hwy 33 about 8 or 9 miles north of Double Springs.  

Rick

Link Posted: 9/7/2003 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I live about 20 minutes south of Huntsville, have three good places to go less than 15 minutes from my house. Was out there shooting 303 & 30.06 this afternoon. Give me a call and we'll set something up.

rk
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 3:17:12 AM EDT
[#21]
    I shoot sometimes at Talladega national forest, on highway 77 between Talladega and ashland. Small range  about like bankhead. Same kinda hill to lug all my stuff down .  no problems so far. Also shoot at swann creek when up that way. Always good to carry a side arm when shooting at a public range. bill  
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Ft. Rucker, AL has a privately owned weapons range open free to public on hwy 27.  The only problem is having to register serial numbers with at the police station on post.

Sucks to have to register firearms, but it is the only place around here to shoot that I know of.  However, the range is nice, it's free, and they also give out free targets.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#23]
[www.honeyisland.org]

100 yard rifle (steel gongs on all lanes)
25 yard hand gun or .22 (steel plates also)
two clay throwers
200 yard berm in the works
$6.00 for all day
class 3 and rapid fire ok (keep it in the berm)
target stands and targets available
eye and ear protection required (free if you need them)
range officers
open Friday, saturday and sundays

Located in Pearl River WMA off I-59 in St.Tammany Parish Louisiana
Link Posted: 2/12/2004 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey all you N Alabama guys,  I have recently moved to the area and I am in desperate need of a solid place to shoot.  I know that living in this area there are endless places to pull off the road and blast off a few rounds but Im pretty serious about sending ammo down range. I live in the Athens area so what ever is closest to Athens ...but I dont mind a drive for a good place to shoot.  I also need an FFL in this area to do my transfers..I went to the a "LARGE" guns store in the area ....Hell They wanted 50 bucks....50 Bucks ??? Wow...!!
shoot me an email
Link Posted: 2/21/2004 6:27:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Here's one:
Big Shot Indoor Shooting Range
1309 W.Pine St.
Hattiesburg, MS 39401

Has indoor, ventilated facilities, range up to 50m. He has shooting events from time to time. Will try to get a schedule of fees and events .
Link Posted: 2/29/2004 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's one in hoover, Alabama:

Steel city shooting sports Association.

Here is the web site:

www.SCSSA.org

they recently lowered their yearly fee to $300 dollars.  Kind of steep, I know, but you get what you pay for .

edited to make link hot. fijfi
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#27]
I live in Madison, and I've been to Swan Creek once a long time ago (don't remember where it is) with a friend, but I usually just drive down to the FOP range in Birmingham because I like the 100yd rifle range with steel. I hate shooting paper targets, I like the instant feedback of hearing the steel ping when I hit it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been considering joining there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:37:41 AM EDT
[#29]
dcm rifle range
south east ms in pecan 1000yd rifle and 200 yd rifle pistola gongs out to 1000yds...$70 a year march to march membership

im me for more info
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:22:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Precision Firearms
Indoor 50yd, 2 lanes.
Baton Rouge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top