Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

If you're willing to drive 45 minutes, or 2 hours to the SC place, you need to just join PHA and be done with it.
View Quote
PHA is a decent place for .22LR, Shot gunners, and hand gunners. Not so much for Long guns. The 100 yard range is OK for shooting an AR or bolt gun if you need to zero or you're plinking. The longer rifle range is 200y but its so sloped down hill its crazy. If your shooting off the bench you need to have a 2x4 with you to jack up the rear of the bench to address some of the slope. There also isnt any room to shoot prone. I am a member and go a couple times per month but keep in mind the "H" in PHA stands for hand gunners. Everything else is pretty much an afterthought. If there was another option within a reasonable distance that catered to rifle shooters out to 1k I would be more then willing to pay considerably more per year that I do at PHA to belong.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By PC-Tech:
I understand why no M855 as there rules state no steel core, but isn't M193 just lead core.  Did they tell you why?  I didn't take my AR's with me.  Just a Rem 700 in 308, the CZ Scorpion, and a Ruger 22/45.  They did check my ammo and told me I could not shoot some Tula Ammo I had.  I understand that might not be the safest with steel targets.

I did see a sign on the 250Y range that stated no rapid shooting, or something to that affect.  They didn't give me a hard time at the steel range, on how fast I was shooting.

It's still better then what I have here. I was going to Belton gun club in Belton SC, with a friend that had a membership.  That's a nice privet range, but 2 hours away from me. We also have point blank, but limited to 25-yard indoor shooting.  Even that range has ammo rules, no steel or aluminum case, steel core, incendiary or tracers.
View Quote
The M855 thing is ridiculous because it is an outdoor range. M193 is "to fast" yes. TO FAST. As far as wolf, tula, Barnaul, their reasoning is just as stupid when it comes to that. Their reasoning is that if a magnet sticks to it its armor piercing. This is the most asinine thing ive ever heard in my life. a bi-metal jacket is no more armor piecing than a regular projectile. I will not give them my money on the grounds of this stupidity.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing but positive experiences at Foothills. IMO it is a top notch facility.

The staff have always treated me with the highest respect, and are there to ensure the safe operation of the range that is open to all experience levels of shooters.

I have shot one of the trap/ skeet ranges, the steel range, the 50 yd rifle / pistol range, and the precision rifle range.

The rule is that fire must be controlled. I double and triple tap all the time without complaint.

One can never have the freedom of shooting on your own property and enjoying safety on an open to the public range. I do wish they would allow shooting from the holster draw, but I understand why it is not allowed.

A shoot at your own risk US Forest Service range was available when I lived in SC, and shooting there was risky business. I remember while changing my targets, I experienced rounds flying down range toward me on more than one occasion.

A lot of ranges prohibit steel core these days.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 11:15:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sniperdoc] [#5]
Went by Blackstone to check it out today.

Man that is a super nice indoor range. Their member area has it's own lounge, and private range. I asked and they allow drawing from the holster. No steel core, as expected. I am considering getting a membership there, and I am only 3 miles from Shooter Express, which is a dump.

The store is also full of top tier gear such as Noveske, Radian, Zev, DD, Geissele. Essentially all their guns are modern sporting guns. Prices were decent too.

As I am somewhat new to the area, I will try to put together some more formalized reviews, as I check out the Charlotte area scene.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Sniperdoc:
Went by Blackstone to check it out today.

Man that is a super nice indoor range. Their member area has it's own lounge, and private range. I asked and they allow drawing from the holster. No steel core, as expected. I am considering getting a membership there, and I am only 3 miles from Shooter Express, which is a dump.

The store is also full of top tier gear such as Noveske, Radian, Zev, DD, Geissele. Essentially all their guns are modern sporting guns. Prices were decent too.

As I am somewhat new to the area, I will try to put together some more formalized reviews, as I check out the Charlotte area scene.
View Quote
If you’re 3 miles from shooters then you are not far from me. Hit me up if you ever wanna go shooting
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Ridgedaddy, I sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:50:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: snakeyes711] [#8]
I'm looking for a 300-500yd range. There is a nice 100yd open range about 20 minutes in between here and High Point... closest I've found is near Roanoke Virginia. Pigg River precision inc. I plan on going there as soon as I can to check it out.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By snakeyes711:
I'm looking for a 300-500yd range. There is a nice 100yd open range about 20 minutes in between here and High Point... closest I've found is near Roanoke Virginia. Pigg River precision inc. I plan on going there as soon as I can to check it out.
View Quote
There is SCOTG 1,000 yd. range in Laurens, SC.  I have never been so I can't tell you much about it. it's about 2 hours away from Charlotte.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:22:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prill64] [#10]
Originally Posted By Sniperdoc:
Nothing but positive experiences at Foothills. IMO it is a top notch facility.

The staff have always treated me with the highest respect, and are there to ensure the safe operation of the range that is open to all experience levels of shooters.

I have shot one of the trap/ skeet ranges, the steel range, the 50 yd rifle / pistol range, and the precision rifle range.

The rule is that fire must be controlled. I double and triple tap all the time without complaint.

One can never have the freedom of shooting on your own property and enjoying safety on an open to the public range. I do wish they would allow shooting from the holster draw, but I understand why it is not allowed.

A shoot at your own risk US Forest Service range was available when I lived in SC, and shooting there was risky business. I remember while changing my targets, I experienced rounds flying down range toward me on more than one occasion.

A lot of ranges prohibit steel core these days.
View Quote

Threads been quiet for a while, so I thought I'd add another positive review for Foothills Shooting Complex. I'm in the Lake Norman area and it took me just under an hour to get out there.

With COVID and Memorial day, there was a line of cars waiting to get in today, so I was worried the precision rifle range would be slammed, but was pleasantly surprised.

I have an indoor range 10 minutes from my house, so I was only there for the long range shooting.

I had to qualify at 50 on the rifle/pistol range as noted above.  They give you a target and have to put three on paper at 50.  Pretty simple.  And as long as you shoot at least once every 90 days you don't have to requalify.

The tunnel setup was new for me, but I actually found I liked it.  You don't have to deal with muzzle blast from your neighbor and you can only see your own lane, so no chance of someone else hitting the wrong target (even with novice shooters).  I thought it would be confining, but found it worked very well.

The place was really clean and well taken care of, and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful.

And best of all, even though the regular pistol/rifle ranges were packed, the precision range was maybe half full and the RSO's were good about feeling out when the line was ready to go cold.  Didn't feel rushed at all.

I've been to a number of outdoor ranges.  From Public land in Florida with no staff that was the wild west, to more dictatorial private ranges.  This one struck a good balance and gave me an excuse to get out there more often (or at least once every 3 months).

The 50 yd rifle pistol range seemed fine, I didn't spend much time there, but it was slammed.  For that reason, I'm glad I have an indoor range near my house.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:59:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stoop] [#11]
Deleted - responded to very old question
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone checked out Coleman's Creek in Ellerbe, NC?  It's about 1.5 hours from Charlotte.  They have annual memberships.  There social media shows multiple long ranges including a 1200 meter and 1 mile range.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By nickbrink33:
Anyone checked out Coleman's Creek in Ellerbe, NC?  It's about 1.5 hours from Charlotte.  They have annual memberships.  There social media shows multiple long ranges including a 1200 meter and 1 mile range.
View Quote

No, but this looks exciting if you're into long range....couple different options for various ranges, and 500 bucks a year for a basic family membership with access to all ranges.

Thanks for posting!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By prill64:

No, but this looks exciting if you're into long range....couple different options for various ranges, and 500 bucks a year for a basic family membership with access to all ranges.

Thanks for posting!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By prill64:
Originally Posted By nickbrink33:

Thanks for posting!!

Dewitt’s is also in Ellerbe. Great sporting clays course, 5 stand, rifle and pistol ranges, hunts, etc. great place.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I joined Coleman's Creek a few months ago.  Great place to go shoot!  You can shoot there as a non member I believe just pay daily.  They have multiple ranges and a TON of steel.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By paigecm1:
I joined Coleman's Creek a few months ago.  Great place to go shoot!  You can shoot there as a non member I believe just pay daily.  They have multiple ranges and a TON of steel.
View Quote

I'm excited to hear a good review about them.  I've waiting for some first hand experience.

I'm seriously considering joining as a member.  It's an hour and a half from me, but I'd do that once a month for a good 1000 yard range.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey there.  What would you like to know?  They have multiple ranges.  Archery range, pistol range with about 50 pieces of steel, 100m sight in range with a few benches, a multipurpose type combat range pistol/ar/shotgun, a nice little 350m range good for an ar with a dot or lpvo, a 750yard range with about 20 pieces of steel, a covered range out to 1250m with a ton of steel, another range not sure of distance with steel, and the 1 mile range with multiple steel.  
I belong to Charlotte pistol and rifle.  Takes me about 20 minutes to get to that range and about an hour and 15 to get to Coleman’s.  I will be keeping my CPR membership for convenience but Coleman’s is another level if you like to shoot LR.  Plus you don’t have an RO constantly up your arse.  Let me know if there is something specific you want to know.  Shoot me a pm and I will give you my cell for a text or call.  I’m no expert and have only been out there 5 or 6 times so far and am learning LR shooting.  But will be happy to let you know what I know.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 6:53:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Palmetto State Armory Lake Norman is open.Address: 1417 NC-16 Business, Denver, NC 28037

The Lake Norman location features an indoor climate-controlled 25 yard, 12 lane pistol range and a 50 yard 8 lane rifle range.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/retail/location/lake-norman-store-and-range.html

https://www.facebook.com/psalakenorman/
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Metallisteve:
Here's a map I put together and try to keep up to date.

All the ones mentioned here are on it plus a few more. The best option around here is to pony up the cash and join a club...and that sucks. I'll preach it until I die: it's 180 degrees opposite of what shootings sports are supposed to do by charging these crazy fees and not even giving a one day per month option to the public. Back in Central FL where I grew up, there were private clubs too, but most of them offered a "third Sunday of the month" for the public to pay $15-$20 and use their facilities too. It helps share the sport and gain more members when people see what you have to offer. When I suggest this to local clubs, I get the third degree and all sorts of excuses for why the dirty general poor public can't come on their property.

If I ever have the chance (read: money and time) to start a business, a public shooting facility will be at the top of my list around here. Somewhere in the rural parts of the surrounding counties...Cabarrus, Iredell, Gastonia...something within 30-45 minutes of downtown. Rifle ranges out to several hundred yards, pistol bays, shotgun fields, etc. A man can dream, can't he?
View Quote

That idea of setting up a new range is the right idea! From NC and recently moved to the Huntersville location and there isn't a lot of good range options.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top