Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 10:31:19 PM EDT
So I went to the Marine Corps Exchange to purchase a handgun on Friday and the dealer calls in my info and they tell him it will be delayed.  The dealer tells me he will call me once they call back.  Okay so its Saturday and I call him and ask the dealer if he's heard back he said no and he would contact me when they did.  He also told me they have 3 days to reply.  Its Sunday and I didn't call because I was working all day but I never got a call and its been 3 days.

I've only bought 2 firearms and one took an half hour and the other was instant.  Is this guy jerking me around or has anyone actually had the background check take this long?  If I tell the dealer I don't want to buy anymore does this count as a purchase since the background check was done?  Would I have to wait another month to buy from someone else?

Maybe I'm paranoid but why wouldn't this guy call me back?  I'm going to call him first thing tommorow and find out whats going on.  I just find it strange that its been 3 days and I haven't heard anything.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:47:28 AM EDT
[#1]
The VA state police do have 3 days to approve or disapprove transfer of firearm(s).  It's up to the dealer after 3 days w/o an approval if they want to turn the firearm over to you, most won't.

If you didn't actually take possession of this new handgun, then it doesn't count toward your 1 per 30 day law.  If you didn't wait 30 days (I usually tell people to wait 31 days just to be safe) then this would cause the delay.  If you did get an appoval but do not want the handgun from then anymore the dealer has to call  the VA state police and tell them that the transfer didn't happen.

If you have a VA concealed handgun permit or LE credentials you will be exempt from the 30 day law if you present the VA CHP or LE cred at the time of purchase.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#2]
The VSp has 72 BUSINESS HOURS to complete a check. Not 3 days. If you go in on Friday night and they call at 9PM, you have to wait until Wed at 9PM to get the gun, if they don't call back with a disposition, which equals 5 days.

The dealer isn't jerking you around, you are just impatient. And if one of the days, say Monday is a federal, or state holiday, you can push it back.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The VSp has 72 BUSINESS HOURS to complete a check. Not 3 days. If you go in on Friday night and they call at 9PM, you have to wait until Wed at 9PM to get the gun, if they don't call back with a disposition, which equals 5 days.

The dealer isn't jerking you around, you are just impatient. And if one of the days, say Monday is a federal, or state holiday, you can push it back.

Interesting, I'll check but I'm pretty sure we sold some guns on Jan 16th 2006 which was a Federal holiday.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting, I'll check but I'm pretty sure we sold some guns on Jan 16th 2006 which was a Federal holiday.

Source: VA SP "Procedures Manual for Firearms Dealers"

Firearms Manual for Firearms Dealers

VA FTC is open for service from 8am to 10pm weekdays and weekends, including all holidays, with the exception of December 25

C. If Transaction is Not Approved At This Time
1. Operator will respond, "no, sale not approved at this time." The sale of the firearm(s) shall be held in
abeyance until all files can be checked by the Department of State Police.
2. The dealer will be requested to provide additional descriptive information pertaining to the prospective
purchaser (height, weight, and place of birth) as indicated on the completed SP-65. State Police will
notify the dealer prior to the close of the third business day wherein all state offices are open. State
offices are not considered open Saturday or Sunday and official state holidays.
Example:
Thurs., Jan. 14th, Initial Non-Approval Received
Fri., Jan. 15th, Day One
Sat., Jan. 16th, State Offices are Closed
Sun., Jan. 17th, State Offices are Closed
Mon., Jan. 18th, State Holiday
Tues., Jan. 19th, Day Two
Wed., Jan. 20th, Day Three
Thurs., Jan. 21st, Transfer May Occur
3. If not so advised by the end of the third business day, the dealer may immediately complete the sale or
transfer of the firearm(s).

4. If a handgun is transferred prior to a final determination of eligibility by the State Police, the dealer must
notify the State Police operator immediately so the transfer may be added to the calendar file of
handgun purchases. Use of the toll-free telephone number is acceptable and the call will not be
charged to your account.
5. If an initial "no, sale not approved at this time" is modified to an approved transaction, the firearm may
be transferred to the purchaser without a second CHRI check provided thirty calendar days have not
elapsed since the record check was initiated. Example: A transaction is initiated on December 15,
2003, and an initial non-approval is received. The dealer receives an approval (NTN) from the State
Police on December 17, 2003. The purchaser does not return to pick up the firearm until January 16,
2004. Another transaction must be conducted before transferring the firearm to the purchaser.
6. Additional firearm purchases made by the same buyer may not be added to the SP-65, or transferred to
the buyer, after the State Police have provided approval to the transaction. A separate transaction is
required in this instance.
7. If the "modified to approved“ transaction involved the sale or transfer of a handgun and the sale or
transfer was not consummated, notify the State Police operator immediately by calling the confidential
toll-free telephone number so the transfer may be removed from the calendar file on handgun
purchases. Use of the toll-free telephone number is acceptable, and the call will not be charged to your
account

Steve
Hallmark Small Arms
804-986-7409
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay that makes more sense and yes I am impatient.    I didn't know the weekends didn't count because you can buy a gun on the weekend.  So if the background check is on friday it could be Wednseday before you hear back.  But you can buy a gun on a Saturday...I guess nothing makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is 3 business days....weekends and state holidays do not count.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Okay so I called Thursday and the person working there calls the State police and calls me back saying its still delayed.  They are also telling me its up to the state police as to how long it takes.  Is there anything else I can do?  Im wondering what happened to the 72 hours?  I called today and was told it is still pending.  I thinking of not buying from them and going to another dealer.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to wait and see because now I'm curious as to how long is this going to take, 2 weeks?  a month?  6 months?  I'll probably buy this handgun from someone else and when the background check does come through I'll tell them I don't want it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#9]
call the state police and ask them how long it should take.  then go into the shop and tell them to stop dicking you around.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Just out of curiosity, which exchange are you dealing with, Quantico?  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
call the state police and ask them how long it should take.  then go into the shop and tell them to stop dicking you around.

Yeah the shop wants to dick around and not take your money!    

If you pull my right one it'll play jingle-bells.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#12]
They still haven't called you!?!?  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I got the call today saying my background check went through and went down there and then...the guy says they were rearranging the backroom and the sticky note(the one with my name reserving the gun) fell off the box and HE SOLD MY GUN!!!!! THAT MORNING!!That was the last one and they ordered another one today.  I would have been more pissed but he seem sincere like didn't mean to.  I was also asked if I wanted another caliber of the same gun but I declined.  

I was told my background check lasts 30 days and they should have my gun in by then.  DAMN, IM FUSTRATED!!!! I should just go to another dealer but oh well lets see how much longer this will take  This must be the longest purchase ever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top