Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2004 2:30:59 PM EDT
I applied for my VA CCW permit nearly 5 weeks ago based upon a MA License to carry. I haven't received a postcard yet (unless it was inadvertantly thrown out by my better half . I did receive a letter today from the Sheriff's Office that has me confused. It states:

Dear XXXXXX,

Your fingerprint card has been returned to our office from the Virginia State Police, Central Records Exchange Division for the purpose of your concealed handgun permit.

According to 18.2-308, section D of the code of Virginia, we are required to notify the applicant that they have 21 days from the date of this notice to request the return of their fingerprint card. All fingerprint cards not claimed within 21 days of notification shall be destroyed. Fingerprint cards taken for the purpose if concealed handgun permit shall not be copied, held or used for any other purpose. You must come to our office to pick up your fingerprint card.

Sincerely,

Sheriff XXXXX

Anyone know how to interpret this lettter?

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#1]
That letter is standard procedure letting you know they have finished with your fingerprint cards and you have the option of picking them up or they will be destroyed. Nothing to worry about.

If your permit is taking longer than 45 days, here's some info from the Virginia Citizens Defense League :

"A VCDL supported law went into effect on July 1st, 2004 which provides that if the court has not issued or denied the permit within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification.

If you are having a problem with getting your permit or de facto permit, the Circuit Courts in Virginia are supervised by the Chief Justice of the Virginia Supreme Court and he has expressed concerns about the way the various Circuit Courts have been flagrantly violating the law. It is strongly suggested that you complain directly to him. Be polite and provide as much detail as possible - names, dates, comments made by officials, documents provided by officials, etc.:

Chief Justice
Supreme Court of Virginia
100 North Ninth Street, Fifth Floor
Richmond, VA 23219
"

BTW - Since you live in VA you should consider joining the VCDL. They make positive VA gun law changes happen! Check them out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF?  I didnt even have to get fingerprint cards for my CCW.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
They run your prints through the FBI database to see if there's a match, but they don't actually save your prints in the database.  As proof that your prints are not being filed away somewhere, they will return the fingerprint card to you.  If you don't want it, they are supposed to destroy it.  As the letter says, this whole process is spelled out in the law.  (Some counties, like Fairfax Co., don't require fingerprints as part of the permit application.  The state law allows it but does not mandate it.)

Your permit must be issued within 45 days of submitting your application.  Depending on when you applied, you might want to call and see if it's ready, since the background check sounds like it has been completed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
WTF?  I didnt even have to get fingerprint cards for my CCW.

Same here in Fairfax County.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the info!

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Are all of you simply using the term "CCW" loosely? I didn't thing VA offered CCWs since 1995 when they became permits to carry a concealed handgun (specifically a handgun, not "weapon" as a CCW allows).
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Are all of you simply using the term "CCW" loosely? I didn't thing VA offered CCWs since 1995 when they became permits to carry a concealed handgun (specifically a handgun, not "weapon" as a CCW allows).

Yeah they mean Permit to carry concealed handguns, But I like to pack some Ninja Stars and tannerite just in case
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah they mean Permit to carry concealed handguns, But I like to pack some Ninja Stars and tannerite just in case

I usually carry a couple WMDs and some napalm but in the summer its kinda hard to conceal.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I usually carry a couple WMDs and some napalm but in the summer its kinda hard to conceal.  

Yeah I use to carry some mustard gas in one of those handy OC spray bottles but I had the darn thing leak in my pocket one day, Talk about some Bada*s jock itch!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#10]
While on the topic, does that 45 day limit apply to non-residents? I will be sending mine out next week .
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
While on the topic, does that 45 day limit apply to non-residents? I will be sending mine out next week .

Is GUM short for GUAM or are you in the basement of the wonka factory?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#13]

I am in the Wonka Basement. Here is my picture.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
www2.warnerbros.com/willywonka/img/gallery/wonkpic1.jpg

I am in the Wonka Basement. Here is my picture.

Are you related to Kerry?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I received my post card from the Court today. Approved!

Bomber
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top