Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Tacked Arizona AR-15 Gunsmiths (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:42:30 AM EDT

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TacticalPlinker:
I tried everything I could, except heat. But I assume that would of not changed my results and here is why... I sent the barreled upper my gunsmith buddy in Flagstaff, and I spoke with him last night. He tried the hydraulic press but bent 2 punches. He then tried to drill out the taper pin and though he was finally successful, it came at the cost of 2 drill bits. It will be one-step short of a literal miracle if the front sight gas block is still able to be securely installed with new taper pins.

I have absolutely zero idea what happen to that pin to make it nearly impossible to remove, because I was able to remove the 1st taper pin without issue, just as I've been able to remove taper pins from 2 additional barreled uppers (different manufactures), again without issue.

In addition, I'm disappointed at the manufacture of the barreled upper in question, not because that single taper pin was nearly impossible to remove for no apparent reason, but because both of the taper pins were drilled & installed from the wrong side of the front sight gas block, contrary to mil-spec... I also have a suspicion some sort of "JB Weld like compound" was used on the flash hider, but that's a different story.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TacticalPlinker:

Originally Posted By RyanAmericanSpirit:Try heating the pins with a map gas torch first.

I tried everything I could, except heat. But I assume that would of not changed my results and here is why... I sent the barreled upper my gunsmith buddy in Flagstaff, and I spoke with him last night. He tried the hydraulic press but bent 2 punches. He then tried to drill out the taper pin and though he was finally successful, it came at the cost of 2 drill bits. It will be one-step short of a literal miracle if the front sight gas block is still able to be securely installed with new taper pins.

I have absolutely zero idea what happen to that pin to make it nearly impossible to remove, because I was able to remove the 1st taper pin without issue, just as I've been able to remove taper pins from 2 additional barreled uppers (different manufactures), again without issue.

In addition, I'm disappointed at the manufacture of the barreled upper in question, not because that single taper pin was nearly impossible to remove for no apparent reason, but because both of the taper pins were drilled & installed from the wrong side of the front sight gas block, contrary to mil-spec... I also have a suspicion some sort of "JB Weld like compound" was used on the flash hider, but that's a different story.
The JB weld type stuff on the FH could have been Rocksett. It is used with some suppressor mount FH's and brakes. The best way to get that off is heat or soak it in warm water for an hour. I have seen people do all sorts of things with the FSB taper pins. Some put them in right to left , some go left to right, and I've even seen some that oppose each other. There is also still companies using straight pins. We use green loctite on the taper pins before we install them.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:26:15 PM EDT
... too many AZHTF pinned posts
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:30:23 PM EDT
Jeff @ Arizona Armory made me two beautiful guns...his shop is in the back of another business - worth digging it out.   He does custom finishes, and makes great guns.  Couldn't recommend him more.  Good prices too.   He's the man
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:16:49 AM EDT
What about here in Tucson?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:44:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2015 7:45:35 PM EDT by GarySeven]
Originally Posted By coltnut:

Nelson Ford,gets it done right the first time.Have used him many times,outstanding work from a top pistol smith.

http://www.thegunsmith.com/thegunsmith.html

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By coltnut:
Originally Posted By AR_DIESEL:
looking for a 1911 gunsmith...

Nelson Ford,gets it done right the first time.Have used him many times,outstanding work from a top pistol smith.

http://www.thegunsmith.com/thegunsmith.html

Nelson is dual skill Wizard.

Smith&Wesson wheel guns, he can do magical things., just as with 1911's.

The custom work he did on a S&W so my tiny wife could use it reliably, was simply unreal.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:33:50 PM EDT
If you're in Tucson, Travis Polinger at Diamondback LE Supply is the best gunsmith in town for just about anything, and he does some amazing cerakote work as well. He takes a while to get your stuff back to you as he's a very busy man, but his work is top notch. He's the only guy I trust to touch my firearms.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:31:44 AM EDT
I'm shocked to see the absence of LRK Mechanical on this list. It's by appointment only but their work is second to none!

727 Brannen Ave
Prescott, AZ 86301

Check out their website or Facebook for photos of the work they do. They also do cerakote.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 2:14:26 PM EDT
I'm looking for SBR gunsmith in phoenix for Thompson semi-auto.?
 I can't seem to reach Az Armory (Jeff)?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:48:44 PM EDT
If you are On the west side he a good guy that will do anything to help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=avondale+gun+smith&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS802US802&oq=avondale+gun+smith&aqs=chrome..69i57.6758j0j8&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#istate=lrl:iv&rlimm=16156739504500739010
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 6:09:50 PM EDT
Any updates on the east side of PHX metro?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:13:11 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend a smith in west valley that can fit a Glock barrel?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:02:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jbisciotti:
Can anyone recommend a smith in west valley that can fit a Glock barrel?
View Quote
What do you mean by fit a barrel?

They’re just drop in parts..
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 12:16:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:

What do you mean by fit a barrel?

They’re just drop in parts..
View Quote

Some barrel companies like Bar sto for example make semi drop in and match fit barrels that need fitting. They offer maximum lockup which should translate into greater accuracy.

Not sure if thats what he has or if he's running into tolerance stacking issues and thinks he needs to fit the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 10:10:46 AM EDT
Any recommendations for reblueing a revolver? Looking to get a barrel swapped, a little pitting cleaned up and the whole gun refinished. Preferably in the East Valley.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 9:09:34 AM EDT
Looking for a gunsmith who can work on a 1873 Winchester in the Yuma area. Having some ejection problems. Bolt will pull the cartridge out of the chamber but won't ejected it out of the gun. Can anyone advise ? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:29:20 PM EDT
Any Flagstaff or Kingman recommendations?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Tacked Arizona AR-15 Gunsmiths (Page 2 of 2)
Top Top