Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/3/2007 4:48:58 AM EDT
So, I went and got some 8 rnd Wilson mags and ammo for my SA V10. This is my first 1911 45. SA told me they did not reccomend +p be used in any of their weapons. However, the guys at the gun store talked me into some 165 grn +P powerball ammo. I read a review on this handgun and the author says he uses +p but, he went up to a 24 lb recoil spring from the stock 22 lb. So, if this is all that needs to be done to fire +p what is a good spring to use? Or is +p just not good to use in this weapon?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:58:42 AM EDT
let me get this straight....

SA (the reputable manufacturer) told you not to use +P in their pistols, and now you're asking the opinions of a bunch of Chairforce Commandos?

OK--I'll bite. The +P isn't gonna hurt anything unless you feed it a steady diet of the stout loads. If you're only talking about the one box you bought, I wouldn't even bother to change the springs.

I'm of the opinion that there isn't anything a super hot, 165gr +P+ can do that standard pressure 230gr Gold Dot or Ranger can't do just as well or better. Standard loads save wear and tear on the pistol, you don't have to modify anything to get it to run without battering itself to death, faster follow up shots...lots of reasons to use standard loads, and very few reasons to dink around with the .451 Mushroom Cloud IMO.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:23:54 AM EDT
well, the reason I am asking started when I read an article that said to use +P ammo in my V10 due to the ported barrel loosing some muzel velocity. I think after this box I will just go with a 185 grn regular load. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:10:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:16:23 AM EDT
Just think of the fireball.

If the manuf say not ratted for +p. I'd trust the manuf.
Top Top