Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 2:34:25 PM EDT
I had sighted in my USP Tactical .45 at 10 yards.  Today I shot at 15 yards and was about 2.5 inches high.  The Tactical does have quite tall sights, so I'm thinking the rounds might still be rising at 10 yards, much like a 5.56 mm bullet is still rising at 50 yards.  I would just throw the numbers in my ballistics calculator, but it's minimum sight in distance is 50 yards.  Does anyone know about the trajectory of 230 grain .45 ammo, especially from something with taller sights?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll look for the chart for you, but it's a rainbow trajectory, I shootout to 50yds with my 45s tho and I have no problems, I hit what I'm aiming at, you just need to remember the dope. But rounds don't rise after they leave the Bbl.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:37:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I just found a calculator that works-- there should be no more than half an inch variation at that range--probably quite a bit less.  Must be something with either my shooting or the sights.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:16:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Depending on how you zero a firearm the round will rise after it leaves the barrel. It dosen't do it on it's own, but is a function of having to shoot high to counter the effects of gravity. My target 1911 is sighted for POA\POI at 50 yards and shoots about three inches high at 25 yards because .45 needs a bit more arc to get out to 50 yards. My 9mm and .357 don't have this problem because thay are moving much faster.

Quoted:
But rounds don't rise after they leave the Bbl.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top