Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/27/2019 7:54:54 AM EDT
This question seems to come up a lot. This is why I think you should put Irons in front of your RMR (in order of priority to me):

- Puts the RMR further away from the ejection port and RMR window is partially eclipsed by the rear sight, both of which result in elimination of carbon and lube buildup on the glass. After hundreds of rounds my RMR window is still minty fresh instead of carbon frosted like my buddies gun (m&p). This can be more or less of an issue depending on how dirty or clean the ammo you shoot is

- RMR further back means I didn't have to cut or re-purchase any new holsters to fit the RMR. Given I have about $300 dollars in Glock 19 holsters, this was a good thing

- The RMR window isn't very big, and having the irons to the rear eats up some of the bottom of the window. At least with irons in front, the dot can be superimposed so the full window is usable

- While I dont beat up my RMR, irons forward provide some protection to the optic body if you cycle the gun off a hard surface

- At least with Glocks, you can mill slightly deeper, putting the dot a smidge lower.

As far as the reduced sight radius, I can still shoot head shots at 25 Y on IPSC target, so I don't find that to be an issue.

The only real downside is that you're committing to keep an optic on as it would look funny with only a cover plate on

CCW:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Or run a race-cut slide with an integral rear sight notch, like a Leupold or Shield.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with you OP and should be sending mine off to get milled here soon. Just need to decide on who’s going to do the work.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#3]
@Fooboy

What holster is that? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Not made anymore

pitbull tactical (revised version)
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Good points OP, nice looking gun.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree with you OP and should be sending mine off to get milled here soon. Just need to decide on who’s going to do the work.
View Quote
@JohnConnor

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#7]
That's a great deal. Got mine done with them and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a good deal on a used ATOM slide, or else I’d probably go this route.

Thanks for the heads up and have a great 4th
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I agree with you OP and should be sending mine off to get milled here soon. Just need to decide on who's going to do the work.
View Quote
@johnconnor

you get it done?

eta: nm. Saw you got atom slide. Throw some pics up
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@johnconnor

you get it done?

eta: nm. Saw you got atom slide. Throw some pics up
View Quote
Yeah...about that

Attachment Attached File

Picked this up used and the ATOM is up in the EE.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can always do the work with files.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#12]
No thanks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I will play the Devil’s Advocate...

I know a lot or people may not like him but Gabe knows how handle a gun and was doing RDS on pistols before it was cool.

The rear sights should be behind the rear dot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Or run a race-cut slide with an integral rear sight notch, like a Leupold or Shield.
View Quote
Or use this
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I will play the Devil's Advocate...

I know a lot or people may not like him but Gabe knows how handle a gun and was doing RDS on pistols before it was cool.

The rear sights should be behind the rear dot.
View Quote
His arguments fall flat.

His main point is that if you change where the irons are, you have to relearn your muscle memory. This doesn't make sense. You have to relearn anyways for a red dot and you shouldn't be looking at the irons anyways.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
His arguments fall flat.

His main point is that if you change where the irons are, you have to relearn your muscle memory. This doesn't make sense. You have to relearn anyways for a red dot and you shouldn't be looking at the irons anyways.
View Quote
Having the rear sight behind the RMR works really well for me.  I used my supressor height sights to train my RDS draw stroke.  No, I don’t use both sights together but it sped up my ability to pick up the dot.

Also, with most holsters if they are not cut to take an RMR they may not fit with the rear sight in front either.  I have no concerns about my RMR needing protection from shell casings as I never had shells hit my RMR.   The RMR window is big enough that I don’t have any issues with the rear sight covering the dot and I also have no desire to mill the slide so that the dot sits lower.

Hey, everyone can do what works best for them.  There’s no one way...
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Interesting idea but is it adjustable?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
No, neither are any of the other RMR compatible sights.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have never seen that before.  
View All Quotes
Potato Armory.  I've had them do a slide cut and have that sight.  Quality is outstanding.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No, neither are any of the other RMR compatible sights.
View Quote
I can adjust my supressor sights left and right.  Any sight that uses the standard sight dovetail will adjust.

Maybe it’s just me, but I like to dial in my rear sights so they are centered properly.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Having the rear sight behind the RMR works really well for me.  I used my supressor height sights to train my RDS draw stroke.  No, I don't use both sights together but it sped up my ability to pick up the dot.

Also, with most holsters if they are not cut to take an RMR they may not fit with the rear sight in front either.  I have no concerns about my RMR needing protection from shell casings as I never had shells hit my RMR.   The RMR window is big enough that I don't have any issues with the rear sight covering the dot and I also have no desire to mill the slide so that the dot sits lower.

Hey, everyone can do what works best for them.  There's no one way...
View Quote
You're doing it wrong
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You're doing it wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having the rear sight behind the RMR works really well for me.  I used my supressor height sights to train my RDS draw stroke.  No, I don't use both sights together but it sped up my ability to pick up the dot.

Also, with most holsters if they are not cut to take an RMR they may not fit with the rear sight in front either.  I have no concerns about my RMR needing protection from shell casings as I never had shells hit my RMR.   The RMR window is big enough that I don't have any issues with the rear sight covering the dot and I also have no desire to mill the slide so that the dot sits lower.

Hey, everyone can do what works best for them.  There's no one way...
You're doing it wrong
I did about 1000 draw strokes, with the red dot off, just focusing on getting a good sight picture with the supressor height sights.  Once I was getting a consistent sight pictures I turned on the red dot and started doing more draw strokes now focusing on the target and acquiring the dot.  I found the supressor sights tweaked my draw stroke enough that the red dot was going right where I needed it to be when I reached full extension.

I am always open to learn better ways to train. How did you do it?
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Im just busting your chops a bit.

I built muscle memory for the dot to be in the center of the window.  For this to occur the front sight post is higher than rear sight instead of being level.  It's a (slightly) new sight picture.

Conversely - you'll notice if you aim with the irons, the dot should be located below the top of front sight post.

They are two independent sighting systems at different aiming planes. It's easy to switch between them but they are different.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#25]
or just skip the rear sight completely....
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I built muscle memory for the dot to be in the center of the window.  For this to occur the front sight post is higher than rear sight instead of being level.  It's a (slightly) new sight picture.

Conversely - you'll notice if you aim with the irons, the dot should be located below the top of front sight post.

They are two independent sighting systems at different aiming planes. It's easy to switch between them but they are different.
View Quote
Yup, my dot sits lower than my front sight if I use the irons with the sight on.  I agree they are two different sighting systems I just used one to get me to the other.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
The simple way for the beginner to acquire the dot quickly is forget the red dot is there and go for the irons.  Every person I have handed a RDS pistol for the first time hunted for the dot.  Every one of them was able to acquire it quickly when I told them to "Go for the irons and the dot with be there"   A brand new shooter would do well to train for the dot from the beginning, but a seasoned iron shooter can learn quicker by just doing what they already know and switching to the dot when it appears in the sight window.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Potato Armory.  I've had them do a slide cut and have that sight.  Quality is outstanding.
View Quote
I had to look it up so I could complain about how pricey it was...

$22?

I guess I should try one on my next one.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#29]
@joshaston

I missed this. Pretty clever.

Do they offer this with Torx screws?
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
This kinda where my thinking is.

But here to learn.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I use a Crye precision gun clip to holster my G19 while suppressed.

It would not work with a front mounted iron sight. Otherwise, I agree with every one of your statements. I hate the carbon buildup shooting suppressed. After 300 rounds you can’t even see through the window.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@joshaston

View All Quotes
Quoted:
@joshaston

I don't think so.  They're M3, so I'm sure Torx wouldn't be too hard to source.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Bump because I'm right
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#34]
What is the ideal dot size to go with for a pistol?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What is the ideal dot size to go with for a pistol?
View Quote
Depends on who you talk to.  Most guys with a USPSA type background advocate a larger dot (around 6-8 MOA) while the 1 MOA RMRs are the latest fad on the tactical side.  For me, I've found the 2.5-3.25 sized dots work the best.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Depends on who you talk to.  Most guys with a USPSA type background advocate a larger dot (around 6-8 MOA) while the 1 MOA RMRs are the latest fad on the tactical side.  For me, I've found the 2.5-3.25 sized dots work the best.
View Quote
This guy knows what he's talking about.

I like 2.5 - 3.25 as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Front or back doesn’t make a bit of difference. Mill it where you like. The best shooters will take both sides of the fence. It doesn’t matter.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I had my 320 set up with the rear sight in front of the optic but haven't shot it yet. My gut was that it seemed better in front but I didn't waste a lot of time worrying about it and may not even put sights on the gun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Agreed. No reason not too. Also, when both sights are in front of the optic it’s less distracting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’ve thought about that too. Not sure if a lot of people are doing that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I’ve got both but prefer irons in front like the OP. Makes picking up the dot quicker for me.

Link Posted: 9/24/2019 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
His arguments fall flat.

View Quote
On a piece of electronics that have no guarantee of being on when I acquire my sight picture, I still grab my irons first, because I know they will always be there.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 12:33:33 AM EDT
[#44]
I've never used a pistol with irons in front of the RMR (yet), but I did own a Caracal pre-recall with their "quick-sights" or whatever they were called; basically the rear sight was flush with the FRONT of the ejection port, and the front sight was in the usual location. It was fast and easy, and I really enjoyed shooting it. I never tried it past 10 yards, but it seemed fine for that and was noticeable faster than regular irons for me. Seems to me that sticking the rear sight in front of the optic would have similar benefits for speed/intuitiveness.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Forward irons using the full window (dot over rear). Dot would be blocked if irons were behind optic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I had to look it up so I could complain about how pricey it was...

$22?

I guess I should try one on my next one.
View Quote
I'm not seeing it?  Where did you find it?  Link?
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

On a piece of electronics that have no guarantee of being on when I acquire my sight picture, I still grab my irons first, because I know they will always be there.
View Quote
@JRJ

Are you sure?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Not to mention the rear sight channel getting clogged with mud, snow, dirt, etc.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I just sent my G17.5 slide to Agency for their AOS cut and a plate for irons forward

Looking forward to trying it next to my Jagerwerks G34.4 with irons rear
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just sent my G17.5 slide to Agency for their AOS cut and a plate for irons forward

Looking forward to trying it next to my Jagerwerks G34.4 with irons rear
View Quote
@mongo45

How long is agency quoting for AOS turn around.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#50]
If I remember he said 8-10 weeks

Closer to 8 if you are getting plain black DLC and not a fancy color or pattern

The nice thing about the AOS is the ability to swap plates for $20 for any changes or new optics... figured if I hated sights forward (which I doubt) I could easily swap too
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top