Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/26/2005 8:10:46 PM EDT
Having owned a King Cobra, I've always wanted to try an Anaconda. This one is a six incher in 44 Magnum.

This one has perfect timing, and a great trigger. The grips on the KC and this Anaconda, are the only rubber grips I've ever really liked. For some reason, they feel pretty good on these Colts.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:39:35 AM EDT
Very nice.
What is the story with these? Do they have MIM internals, or are they made like older S&W, the good old fashoned way?
44mag. just too cool.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:39:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:09:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 1:16:10 PM EDT by RogerC]
This one was made in 1990, the first year of production. I understand that a few lemons made it out of the factory in later years. Some with crooked barrels.

Bill Laughridge consulted with Colt and found out that in the their cost cutting frenzy they had gotten rid of the millrights. If you don't know what a millright is they are the guys who insure the mills and lathes are set up correctly before a machining operation. The mill table that Colt made the Anaconda frames on was found to be 2 degrees off. When a barrel was screwed in it was pointing off to one side. It was obvious when Bill dropped a 3 ft wooden dowel down the barrel and the dowel was pointing off to the side.

So if you see one that has the rear sight blade cranked all the way to one side, its probably one of those guns.

There were also some that left Colt "out of time". Don't know HOW they could miss than in QC, but they did.

I suppose when you think you are "going under" all sorts of things get overlooked.

BUT....the vast majority of Anacondas are sturdy, well made guns, with a reputation for SUPERB accuracy.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:21:18 PM EDT
Very interesting. Excellent information. Can I push it and ask how to tell year of mfg.?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:35:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 7:08:34 AM EDT by RogerC]
I'm not sure, exactly. I asked over on the Colt forum. But i think the 4 digit numbers are first year, 1990. At least the lower numbers anyway.....beyond that i don't know.

Another pic with different lighting.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:12:33 PM EDT
Check this out.........IT CONCEALS!

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:10:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 2:11:12 PM EDT by ALAN308]
RogerC, You have done it now. You are genuinely happy with the Anaconda. I bet for good reason, besides the fact it is cool as all.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:25:39 PM EDT
I had plenty of chores to get done around the house today, but I managed to slip away for some quick casual shooting.

What I brought for ammo was a box of 240gr JHP and some Arctic Ammo Company 300gr JSP's.

It was already pretty much sighted in, so I set up some apples on sticks to shoot at. Nothing too far at first. The Anaconda was easy to hit with. Recoil with the 240's was typical 44 Magnum recoil, and the rubber grips soften the "snap" pretty well. The 300 grainers had considerably more SMACK to them, but nothing to run home cryin' to mama about. As I write this, I have NO sore or red spots on my hands, and I did not use a glove.

Leaning over my vehicle, I shot about 12 rounds at a range of 60 yards, and hit 10 out of 12 times. Offhand, at ranges between 15 and 25 yards, I only missed a couple, and I did the majority of my shooting double action. As with my King Cobra, I knew to "pull straight through" and not "stage" the trigger. It seems to work much better with the action on the Colt V frame guns.

I consider myself a decent shot. I've been using fruit and vegetables as targets for many years. It's not as easy as it sounds.

No cleanup afterwards, and the critters get lunch.

Seems to me it is aleady sighted in for 240 grainers, and for Deer hunting range.

I lit off a couple rounds at a 55 gallon barrel that was probably a bit over 200 yards away, using a little "Kentucky elevation" and just as the boom from the Colt was subsiding, I heard a clank from the barrel.

I like this gun a lot. It has lived up to the hype I've had in my head for one of these for quite some time.
Page Handguns » Colt
Top Top