Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 5:51:16 PM EDT
I have not been on in a while so I am not sure if there is a thread about the Glock .45 G.A.P. pistols.  If there is not what do you think?

Bit
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I read a little about this in a handgun magazine but I really don't know that much about it. I'd love to hear more.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It's supposed to be ballistically the same as the .45 acp.

But the round really hasn't caught on like they wished it would. .45 gaps are still more expensive the most if not all other .45 acp rounds.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Do some reading here and there - sounds like (and I am sure someone will be alone soon to stir the pot) that the .45 GAP is nice little proprietary round that closely replicates a 185 grn .45 ACP load. However, (from memory and my understanding - hence check it out for yourself) it is not capable of replicating a 230 grn load. In the end it gets back to your view on penitration, expansion, weight, and velocity.

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Gaston Glock was tired of making guns in calibers that had names of other gun companies, like  .357 SIG and .40 S&W and .45 Auto Colt Pistol.

So before he kicked the bucket - he had to put out the .45 Glock Auto Pistol.  The design started out as a short .45 that could be shot in a pistol the same size as the model 17/22/31.  Well that didn't happen - Glock was forced to use bigger slides.  All in all - I look at it as a failure on Glock's part.  THe only people that really rave about are gun magazine writers.

This is what Glock wanted - not what the majority of Glock fans wanted (which was a long slide, single stack .45 - basically, a full size model 36).
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#5]
If the magazine ban hadn't ended it would have been a good idea. But I'd much rather have a 17rd G17 myself.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If the magazine ban hadn't ended it would have been a good idea. But I'd much rather have a 17rd G17 myself.

that's cause you will settle for a 9, my friend doesnt like the bigger grip of the 21 and 30, but likes my 1911 and 36, he's going to get the 37 because his hand fits
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#8]
My thoughts are that the benefits come from the gun not the caliber in the .45gap. It does open up .45 caliber semi autos for some people so I think it is a good idea. Will it catch on? I think it will more than .357 sig in the long run but I do not know. I am a .45ACP guy myself and like large pistols but I would like to have the G38 but would buy the G30 or G21 simply because I do not want another caliber to buy. Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:54:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Bottom Line:

It's a viable option for those who like Glocks in the 9/40 frame size but are partial to a big bore cartridge.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1

If I were limited to 10 rounds the .45 GAP  would be in the running for my next purchase.  As it is now I'll stick to 15 rounds of 40 S&W.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Bottom Line:

It's a viable option for those who like Glocks in the 9/40 frame size but are partial to a big bore cartridge.

That makes sense. Good for a small set of hands I suppose too.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#12]
The downside of .45 GAP is that it does nothing new. The ballistics are roughly the same as .45 ACP, except the case is shorter. Honestly, are there that many people that fall under "need a smaller grip" niche

Personally I wish Gaston would have gone in the other direction and created:

100gr high velocity (1800fps) high energy (700lbs), flat shooting, low recoil, .30 diameter bullet that allowed 17-20 round mags in a G19 sized frame. The technology is there to beat or match 9mm ballistics with a smaller projectile and case, but increase firepower in terms of capacity without increasing the size of the firearm

Something along the lines of a .30 Carbine ballistics in a semi auto handgun
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The downside of .45 GAP is that it does nothing new. The ballistics are roughly the same as .45 ACP, except the case is shorter. Honestly, are there that many people that fall under "need a smaller grip" niche

If you look at all the women Police Officers these days then yes, there are that many.  The "official" reason for the GAP was Police Depts were requesting a .45 Glock that had the same frame size as the G17.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you look at all the women Police Officers these days then yes, there are that many.  The "official" reason for the GAP was Police Depts were requesting a .45 Glock that had the same frame size as the G17.

I seriously doubt there is some great outcry from the LEO community to get a custom caliber and gun just for a woman's pretty little hand, especially since .45 GAP isnt a standard service caliber in many places, if any.

Stick G19's in their hands and if that's too big give then a SIG 239 and if that's too big give them a desk job
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I seriously doubt there is some great outcry from the LEO community to get a custom caliber and gun just for a woman's pretty little hand, especially since .45 GAP isnt a standard service caliber in many places, if any.

Stick G19's in their hands and if that's too big give then a SIG 239 and if that's too big give them a desk job

Maybe you misread what I posted or maybe I didn't make myself clear: I never said anything about a custom caliber.  I said Glock was repeatably getting request for a .45 caliber on a G17 sized frame.  And not only from LE agencies...the civilian market has been screaming for it as well.  Everyone expected, myself included, a single stack, full size, 45ACP model but for some reason Glock saw fit to reduce the size of the cartridge so that it would fit into a G17/22/31 frame.  I'm not defending or slamming the GAP because I haven't shot one but I'm just telling you what the official word was from Glock when they released the GAP.

So, yes there was an great outcry from the LEO and civilian communities for a 45 caliber/normal sized frame Glock.  The outcome, for whatever reason(s) was a redesigned .45 cartridge so in that aspect you are right...no one was asking for that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I prefer the 33rd 9mm mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top