Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 2:35:54 PM EDT
During a recent trip, I obtained an original Smith and Wesson Model 21 .44 Special revolver of 1952 vintage.
I love the old N-frames, so this revolver is a real prize, and it makes this problem REALLY irritating.........

When I shoot it, the cylinder often advances beyond the distance it should, either engaging two cylinder positions beyond the fired case, or not locking at all. This happens roughly 50% of the times the trigger is pulled in double-action. It does not happen if the pistol is fired in single-action, but that is much less fun.

I THINK the cylinder stop at the bottom of the frame is not engaging when this happens.

1. Does that sound right to ya'll, or does this sound like a different problem?
2. Should the part be easy to replace with a current manufacture N-frame part, or am I going to have to do an annoying part hunt?

TIA for your replies.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:55:49 PM EDT
I think your right
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:03:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:33:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ikor:

I would send it either to S&W themselves

S&W would be the only folks I would let work on this one, IMO. I'd bet they'd give you a cut rate price too?

My .o2
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:32:47 PM EDT
ikor, the hammer is doing its proper movement. I guess the firing pin isn't striking far enough into the chamber to catch on anything.

Thanks for the advice, all.
I'll be giving S&W a call tomorrow.

[unrelated]
Annoyingly, I have to call Kimber tomorrow as well. The front sight on my 6-month old TLE is now drift adjustable by hand .
Time to test out Kimber's customer service for myself.
[/unrelated]
Top Top