Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 2:35:54 PM EDT
During a recent trip, I obtained an original Smith and Wesson Model 21 .44 Special revolver of 1952 vintage.
I love the old N-frames, so this revolver is a real prize, and it makes this problem REALLY irritating.........  

When I shoot it, the cylinder often advances beyond the distance it should, either engaging two cylinder positions beyond the fired case, or not locking at all.  This happens roughly 50% of the times the trigger is pulled in double-action.  It does not happen if the pistol is fired in single-action, but that is much less fun.  

I THINK the cylinder stop at the bottom of the frame is not engaging when this happens.  

1.  Does that sound right to ya'll, or does this sound like a different problem?
2.  Should the part be easy to replace with a current manufacture N-frame part, or am I going to have to do an annoying part hunt?

TIA for your replies.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I think your right
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I would send it either to S&W themselves

S&W would be the only folks I would let work on this one, IMO. I'd bet they'd give you a cut rate price too?

My .o2
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#4]
ikor, the hammer is doing its proper movement.  I guess the firing pin isn't striking far enough into the chamber to catch on anything.

Thanks for the advice, all.
I'll be giving S&W a call tomorrow.

[unrelated]
Annoyingly, I have to call Kimber tomorrow as well.  The front sight on my 6-month old TLE is now drift adjustable by hand .
Time to test out Kimber's customer service for myself.
[/unrelated]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top