Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/23/2002 8:54:10 PM EDT
Are the Mec-Gar's about as good as any magazines? I am making out a mag order right now to CDNN and I see they have some of their Mec-Gar's on sale. My dad has some of their pre-ban's for his P-89 and loves them. I have heard others say they are the next best thing next to factory. Are these good quality as everyone is saying? If so I might as well grab a few for the Smith 5906 while I am ordering. Thanks.

---Charging Handle
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 9:17:46 PM EDT
I have 5 of them for my P14-45 and I have never had a problem w/ them in the least.

Link Posted: 9/23/2002 9:31:09 PM EDT
Thanks Stinger.....I appreciate the quick reply. I am now inserting this on my make-shift order form.

I thought that they were good, but I was just double-checking. I got some Pro-Mag's about a year ago (for the same Smith and Wesson) and one wouldn't even insert into the magwell! The other would but was a tight fit and double fed when you tried to chamber a round. I never saw such junk in all my life. Hell, USA's perform better than that! LOL.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 9:36:02 PM EDT
The mec-gar 8rd 1911 mags didn't fit my (old-design) 1911...

That's the only experience I have with them...
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 9:57:31 PM EDT
Italian Mec-Gar is the world's largest supplier of magazines. I have heard that they build all of the mags for Sig, Browning, etc.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:52:10 PM EDT
The factory Walther magazines for my P99 are Mec-Gars, stamped right on the side.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 11:15:26 PM EDT

I have heard that they build all of the mags for Sig, Browning, etc.

That's right though the "factory" SIG mags are stamped SigSauer. MecGar also sells them, stamped with MecGar, for half of the price.

Link Posted: 9/24/2002 6:26:51 AM EDT
They also make 'em for the Kel-Tec and Ruger, if I'm not mistaken, also.
I agree, they seem to be the best of the non-original breed.
My 11 rounders for the 1911 type are awesome.
Promags, if you get a good one, I delegate to range practice, if I end up with one at all.
Pricing sorta gives you a clue as to how they work.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 10:22:31 AM EDT
Mec-Gars are great! Beretta uses them as "factory" mags. Several others do as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 12:24:19 PM EDT
Mec-Gar makes excellent mags. I would not hesitate to use them. Watch-Six
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 3:43:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2002 10:03:10 AM EDT by BKVic]
Mec-Gar makes some great mags and I have a bunch of them myself but they do not make the factory Beretta mags and the last time I read about it you cant buy any newly manufactured Mec-Gar mags for the Sig. They have a no competition claus in the agreement with Sig. If you buy any new in wrapper Mec-Gar mags for the Sig it was made before Mec-Gar became the official mag manufaturer.

BKVic
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 5:34:41 PM EDT
The factory original mag in my Taurus PT-111 is a Mec-Gar. Functions flawlessly. I would not hesitate to buy one for any pistol.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 11:10:21 PM EDT
Yep, me too. I just started using Mec-Gar magazines for practice and they work great.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 7:36:09 PM EDT
Ive used Mec-Gar mags in my SIG P220 and my Browning Hi-Power. They are totally reliable. Ive heard some people mention feed lip cracking in the Browning versions. Ive yet to experience this, but I havent gotten that much hard usage out of the 4 I bought from Novak a year ago. I have used 4 blued P220 mags for years and they are just as well made and reliable as the SIG factory magazines. In fact, current production P220s are shipped with Mec-Gar mags with SIG markings. I recently purchased 3 stainless factory P220 mags, and other than a synthetic follower, they are the same as the older Meg-Gars I had with steel followers. I actually prefer the MG versions because they are easier to disassemble than the factory versions. They have the detent plate button that mates to the base pad vs. SIGs original detent that used the end of the magazine spring to lock the base pad. Ive had nothing but a possitive experience with them with these two guns.
Top Top