Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2003 3:09:57 PM EDT
I handled one of these the other night and it was a very comfortable and nicely constructed pistol.  Of course I couldn't shoot it being I was in a gun store but aside from that I was impressed.  I've been looking into getting a 1911 just to have and maybe use it for a night stand gun if I feel the need.  For those of you who have them what can you tell me about them?  What does the TLE stand for?  Any info would be helpful.  Is the $700+ price tag worth it?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]
 Greetings..
 The TLE stands for Tactical Law Enforcement. Kimber advertises this pistol as a model sold to Lost Angels SWAT team. It is Kimber's Custom II with added Meprolight night sights and front strap 30LPI checkering.
 I am in Illinois and see them for $769$. I was going to get one last week, but got the Eclipse II Custom for a little more. I will probably get the TLE II sometime later. It is a better package value than the straight Custom II.
 My Eclipse model has a nice trigger pull and is really accurate. The TLE had just as nice a trigger pull when I was checking them out.
 BTW, Kimber is now the solo USA purveyor of Meprolight products.
Randy
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one. It is my only 1911 right now though I have had springfields and colts in the past. kingcleophus' post was right on about the TLE's name and features.

I am very happy with mine. It shoots very well and has gone through 700 round now with no problems at all. In fact 300 of these were done the same day with no cleaning, so mine runs reliable even when a little gunky on the inside.

For it's price I think it is well worth the little extra money over the regular Custom II to get the front strap checkering and the Meps. It is at a good price point between the Custom II and the Eclipse II(another fav of mine).

Good luck with the 1911 selection process.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
In fact 300 of these were done the same day with no cleaning, so mine runs reliable even when a little gunky on the inside.

The day I got my TLE I shot 400 rounds in it 100 FMJ and 300 of my lead SWC reloads.  I usually shoot 200-400 rounds of lead SWC loads in mine per outting and I usually clean it after about 800-1,000 rounds.  Same with my Target and Ultra Carry.

BTW TLE is great pistol for the money and mine has functions 100% and damn accurate too. I want to get a TLE RL in future to put a light on it to keep as the "house gun".
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I also have a TLE.  Got it right when it came out.  Absolutely love it.  100% reliable, dead on accurate.  Allowing for wind and bullet drop, I can easily hit a 8 inch target at 50 yards offhand, or a 2 foot tree 5 out of 7 times at 222 yards.  Thats pretty darn good.  Worth every penny.  -Eric
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I traded my Trophy match for a slightly used one 4 weeks ago and it is one fine 1911. Feeds smooth with all ammo i've tried so far. More accurate than my Springy and the checkering it nice too. The load it likes best (accuracy wise) in a 185 grn SWC behind 5.9 grns of Vita Vohri N320.
  I have not shot it using the nite sites yet, but there is a night match Saturday in Poplarville MS . Handgun/shotgun :) Will let you know:)
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The Kimbers tend to be very accurate and reliable outta the box. I favor the older Kimbers personally (I just picked up an older Classic Custom in like new condition) because they were made before the days Kimber started doing their own in-house MIM parts. I have heard a few of the pro's question the strength of these parts. But other than this, I have never heard of any major complaints with the Kimber line of pistols.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently purchased a TLE II and love it. Reliable, accurate and great looking. Now if Kimber just wasn't so stingy with magazines.

p.s. I won't lay awake at night over MIM parts either!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top