Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 1:48:52 PM EDT
***Please be gentle - This is my first Glock question***

Ok, I've established that I know nothing about Glocks. Now for my Glock question. Do they make a 17 with a light rail, but without the finger groves on the front strap? I've started to research this, but all I have found so far is the light rail/finger grove models. That’s also what my local shop has in stock. I certainly want the light rail option, but the finger groves are annoying to me.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  Gen 3 Glocks are often referred to as "FGR" which stands for "Finger Grove/Rail".  There is no variant that has one or the other.

ETA:  As far as I know, the FGR is the only configuration available at this time from Glock.  Be aware there are many excellent Gen 2 pistols out there.  Previously owned ain't all bad.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The finger grooves can also be removed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

How?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the Glock expertise, but I will probably just buy one and get used to the groves. I just assumed Glock made a 17 model without them. I might be new to Glocks, but I know enough to leave them stock and that includes front strap groves. I do not want to be messing around with mods or custom shops. I get enough of that being a 1911 owner.  I might just look around for a used Gen2 model.

Other than the front strap groves what are the differences between a Gen3 and Gen2? Is there anything to be concerned about?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nothing to be concerned about.

Once you've had it a bit, the finger grooves may grow on you as they did me.

10-4, thanks Hawkeye.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Did Hell freeze over

Did I accidently stumble upon an alternate arfcom universe where dinger would be remotely interested in a Glock?  What's going on...
Be careful Luke the darkside is powerful

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#11]
There's a Generation 2.5 that has the light rail but no finger grooves.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thats exactly what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Did Hell freeze over

Did I accidently stumble upon an alternate arfcom universe where dinger would be remotely interested in a Glock?  What's going on...

Be careful Luke the darkside is powerful

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:02:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Uhh, I thought the Gen 2.5 was finger grooves and no light rail.

ETA: Found it

Snip from GT
The guns with a first generation frame have no molded in checkering like the second and third gen's do, they have a smoother, stipled, or pebbled, type surface that some folks feel is insufficient for a good, secure grip. Gen 1 guns were made in only models 17, 17L, 18, and a very few 19's.

Gen 2 guns have the deep, molded in checkering on the front and back of the grip frame to aid a secure, consistant grip.

Gen 2.5 guns are the same as Gen 2 guns but have the two 'finger grooves' added to the front of the grip frame.

Gen 3 guns are the same as Gen 2.5 but also have the mounting rails on the bottom of the dust cover so one can mount a light or laser or a (Carver is best) scope mount easily.

Glock only makes Gen 3 guns now (keeping in mind that subcompacts don't have the mounting rails simply because there isn't room for them), so if you want one of the others, you'll have to hunt one up as compared to ordering a new one.

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:08:32 AM EDT
[#15]
woops I got it bass ackwards. Sorry!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#16]
FWIW, I would rather have the light rail and no finger grooves.   I love my Gen II's but I do like the light rail option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top