Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2008 6:15:24 AM EDT
Hello,
  I am finally turning 21 tomorrow and will be picking up my .50 Titanium Gold Eagle. How is the recoil; Is it similiar to a S&W 500? What is a good ammo that gives nice big fireballs?                   Jeff  

"...The fact that you've got "Replica" written down the side of your gun. And the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle point five O" written on the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence."
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have shot (but never owned) a 500 S&W, but I do own a Mk XIX .50 Desert Eagle, and I don't regret my choice one bit.   I love the way it shoots.   One other nice thing about them is you can buy a .44 mag barrel and mags and have a whole other caliber to shoot on the same platform.  (You can also buy a .357 mag barrel and mag for the Mk XIX frame, but you have to change out the bolt.  The .50 AE and .44 mag use the same bolt).

Both the 500 and the 50 are tons of fun to shoot though.   If you enjoy shooting large caliber handguns, you can't go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey guys....Thank you for your advice. I did end up purchasing the .50 in the titanium gold. I shot about 20 rounds through it and I must say I am impressed. The recoil isnt near as bad as I expected. Pics and hopefully video will post tomorrow. I am having one issue with the gun though. It seems as if the magazine doesn't want to feed the last 2 rounds in it unless you give the gun a love tap. I disassembled the magazine, cleaned it, and oiled it. Hopefully that will fix it. The gun also wanted to jam a bit it seemed like, but that is probably my technique...gotta get used to the gun and recoil and hopefully I can work that out of me. Other than that.....a great gun.    

Jeff
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't get the .500 S&W I shot it.. It sucked. I feel that the handle is too thin an ergonomic and it wants to wrench out of your grip. killed the crap out of my hand and it double tapped on me. Don't ask how it happened but having a .500 mag double fire on you.. not fun.. very painful.

On the bright side I love my Ti-Gold .50ae D.E.! I have shot it so much it feels like a 45acp to me now!
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
atruckdrivingpilot, failure to return to battery as the mag empties is usually caused by limp wristing.
As the pistol gets lighter, it "whips" more.
Slow down and concentrate on locking your wrist for your shots.

Unless you have a lot of shooting experience, a DE 50 is a very poor choice for a first pistol.
By a quality, used and cheap 22lr pistol for lots practice. The money you save shooting less 50AE will pay for the 22lr in no time.
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I went ahead and bought a Kel tec p3at in 380 cal for my concealed carry. Would this be a good practice?   Jeff
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#7]
not really.

Good choice for CCW though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2008 6:12:12 AM EDT
[#8]
What's a good cheap .22 handgun that you suggest?
Link Posted: 11/8/2008 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have a walther p22 and love it (especially with my Outback II), but for a good practical first .22 I would actually look at the rugers. PITA to dis/reassemble, but great reliable guns.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I will probably end up with a p-22.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Big flame ammo for the .50AE ended up being Miwall ammo (Outdoor Marksman).  Other ammo performs better but nothing else looks as impressive.  Or feels as warm to the crowd standing behind you.  Thumps pretty good as well.  At the last show in the Cow Palace I made a point to drop by the Miwall booth and pick up four more boxes.

As for the S&W 500 it is also fun to shoot.  I have show a LOT of both the .500 S&W and the .50AE.  But have their merits.  Both are great at the range.  Both will kill just about anything standing in front of the muzzle.  I do have to say the full power loads with the 500gr .500 S&W ammo recoils a lot harder than any of the .50AE ammo I have shot.  

If I had to put my life on a follow up shot while bear hunting the S&W would win out.  But then I haven't gone bear hunting yet.

BTW,  My DE MK XIX had a problem at first.  Sometimes the slide would cycle completely.  Sometimes it would hang a little (not fully close).  This was a problem for both the .44 Mag and the .50AE barrels.  A quick trip back to Magnum Research for warranty service revealed there was a small burr (factory defect) that had to be removed from the bolt. (more like a raised area).  While being serviced they also replaced the magazine spring on a .44 magazine that I sent along as part of the whole package.  The DE was returned to me on MR's postage nickel.  They included a thorough service report as well.  Overall I have to say my factory servicing was a great experience.   The Desert Eagle cycles perfectly now as well.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a walther p22 and love it (especially with my Outback II), but for a good practical first .22 I would actually look at the rugers. PITA to dis/reassemble, but great reliable guns.

I've got a Ruger MKII
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's my Gold Ti .50AE. I LOVE it. Every time I bring a new shooter to the range I bring it so they can have a go. I work them up from .22lr, 9mm, 10mm first though. Then ya bring out the big fiddy and the smiles and grinning really starts. Everyone, and I mean everyone who shoots it, instantly starts giggling like a little girl after they shoot it. To me, that's the whole reason for owning it. The first factory rounds that I shot through it were a bit disappointing in the flame department, but I started reloading for it and found a great powder and load combination. 350grain bullets, 30 grains of Hodgdon H110 powder. WOW.
Make sure you get the Hogue grips with finger grooves. They make a HUGE difference in control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O2t9rqG3pE

http://www.members.shaw.ca/wrightjs/DE50AE4.jpg

http://www.members.shaw.ca/wrightjs/DE50AE2.jpg

http://www.members.shaw.ca/wrightjs/DE50AE3.jpg

http://wrightjs.shawwebspace.ca/asset/view/9652/de50ae_flames2.jpg/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top