Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/27/2004 12:37:55 PM EST
I’ve got one of these ordered for CCW use. Does anyone have any experience with this pistol? I figured with the smaller frame it should conceal pretty well.
This will be my first Kimber purchase. Everything that I have heard about their pistols has been pretty good.
TIA
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:29:11 AM EST
I bought one in January for my primary CCW. I like it, but I haven't gained complete confidence in it yet. I was having FTE's out the butt in the beginning. That is down to almost O now. I only have ~800 rounds through it.

I lapped the rails and polished the chamber. That made a world of difference.

I contacted Kimber and was sent their latest evolution of the External Extractor " NO Dimple" version.

I'm not sure it is really any better than the original maybe just a little different.

One thing that I have observed about my Kimber Stainless Compact II is it is tight.

I am thinking that may be part of the problem, too tight. It is a little bit sensitive to dirt and fouling.

Now don't get me wrong...I really like it. It is scary accurate and feeds everything.

I carry mine in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II, horsey hide, IWB. I am also getting ready to add some slim grips.

Good luck!
'mule

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:06:17 PM EST
Glad to hear that you are happy with yours. If it is as tight as you say, I would think that would probably contribute to it not functioning well yet.
I figure it will take a few hundred rounds to get me used to mine and to break it in. I have a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2, in cowhide, for mine. It is a really nice holster! I know that the Summer Special II is another real popular one. I think all of Milts holsters are pretty good.
I am going to put some thin grips on mine too. Are the “officers” size grips the correct ones?
Also, what mags have you found to work good in your pistol?

Thanks for the reply and Good Luck with your set up!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:51:20 AM EST
Good choice all around IMO!

Yes the officer's sized grips are the correct ones.

If you are at all familiar with 1911, there will be hardly any getting used to it.

It really seems to be all about patience and breaking it in.

It is only my opinion but I think this little pistol would be better off if it wasn't built so tightly.

I like mine more all the time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:51:47 PM EST
This is not my first 1911. I also have a [cough] Rock Island Armory [cough] full size that I like very much. It has been a good pistol and helped me to make the decision to carry a 1911. I use Wilson mags in it and they function very well. I will probably buy some more for this pistol.
I will post again when I get my pistol and let you know about how tight it feels. I can understand your concern, especially with a carry gun. Don’t need it jamming at the wrong moment!
Top Top