Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2008 9:52:12 AM EDT
I'm sure this comes up often, but my question pertans more to a specific model from each manufacturer.  I actually already own a Colt Custom Shop Commander, and a Springfield TRP Operator.  While I am very happy with both pistols, I find myself wanting something more basic, without all the custom features.  I was considering a Springer GI,  but I am looking at the Mil-Spec as well.  For maybe $100 more than the Mil-Spec, I could get a Colt 1991.   Is it worth a little extra money to get the Colt? It would be This One   Thanks
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally would go with the cheaper GI if looking for a plain 1911.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#2]
If you decide to sell it in the future, you'll get a better return for your money from the Colt. Just something to consider.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#3]
+1.

If you were interested in spending $$ for the SA TRP, I don't believe you'll be disapointed.  An excellent shooter, and good value for the money.  Colt's may (?) carry an extra value due to the name should you buy, or sell it.

If that's value to you, then it's an important point to consider.

If you're expecting performance at a good price...go SA!

If you want a no-frills 1911, I would yet vote for the SA version.

Best,

Ed

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#4]
The NRM Colt 1991 has less MIM this side of a Wilson.  They hold their value better, are all American made, and good base material if you decide to go custom later.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#5]
While the Colt may have less MIM, it has more plastic.  The trigger and MSH are plastic in the 1991A1's.  On the Mil-Spec they are all steel.

MIM isn't really much of an issue IMHO, people just like to talk about it.  The crank shaft in your car is likely MIM, do you worry about it breaking?  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input guys.  

Well, it looks like I just answered my own question.  I threw a bid in on a NIB Springer GI, and I won it.  Got it for a pretty fair price too.  I think it will round out my collection nicely.  I wanted something basic, and I don't think it gets much more basic than the GI.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
While the Colt may have less MIM, it has more plastic.  The trigger and MSH are plastic in the 1991A1's.  On the Mil-Spec they are all steel.

MIM isn't really much of an issue IMHO, people just like to talk about it.  The crank shaft in your car is likely MIM, do you worry about it breaking?  

This is correct but I've YET to see either plastic part actually break or fail. I don't like them either [plastic] but they are functional and problem free.

With the Colt you get a one piece barrel, 2 MIM parts, no ILS lock BS, [but series 80 trigger junk] a correct FP instead of a 38 super one.

I've had several low end SAs [WW2 and SS Milspec]and a 1991, I still own the 1991. The SS Milspec was pretty nice once I scrapped out the crap extractor for a real one but the Colt was more accurate and the barrel was much better finished internally and didn't lead up anywhere near as quickly. [same ammo]

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I like (love) Colts as that was all I had in the beginning and the
Series 70 still has a profile that sets it apart from other 1911s.
Having said that, my SA GI is rock solid and I could shoot the hell of
it for years and never know  / care it had MIM parts. Replacing the novelty sights, trigger and trigger group, I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a carry gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top