Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 8:57:42 PM EDT
     I have my heart set on  getting a new Colt Gold Cup. I have an older compact model(1991) that I love and shoot great. The one I'm looking at is stainless and goes for about 1100 bucks. This sounds on par with some of the prices that I've seen so money is not the issue(unless someone knows where to find a one much cheaper)!
 I doubt if anyone can change my mind but are there better deals out there? I want it mostly for target stuff, what it was intended for but it will see duty as my house and car gun from time to time. The brand of Kool-aid I've been drinking is restricted to handguns as I've loved every Colt handgun that I've had the pleasure to shoot. The more tactical stuff I've seen is significantly more expensive and I don't want to be divorced. She already said this could be my valentines present if I'll just lay it away instead of draining the bank account so I'll have to do that and wait for it.
  The blued one is a little cheaper but I want to go stainless. I guess I want to know pro's and con's of the Gold Cup in particular to see if that's 100% what I really want. Hey you never know till you ask!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the Gold Cup.  The only thing that I am not a big fan of is the 80 series fireing system.  I have 3 1911s and all of them are 70s.  That being said, I have a dealer with a used Gold cup I have been trying to get him to drop the price a little.  As for the price, Check www.Budsgunshop.com They have some of the best prices.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
     I have my heart set on  getting a new Colt Gold Cup. I have an older compact model(1991) that I love and shoot great. The one I'm looking at is stainless and goes for about 1100 bucks. This sounds on par with some of the prices that I've seen so money is not the issue(unless someone knows where to find a one much cheaper)!
 I doubt if anyone can change my mind but are there better deals out there? I want it mostly for target stuff, what it was intended for but it will see duty as my house and car gun from time to time. The brand of Kool-aid I've been drinking is restricted to handguns as I've loved every Colt handgun that I've had the pleasure to shoot. The more tactical stuff I've seen is significantly more expensive and I don't want to be divorced. She already said this could be my valentines present if I'll just lay it away instead of draining the bank account so I'll have to do that and wait for it.
  The blued one is a little cheaper but I want to go stainless. I guess I want to know pro's and con's of the Gold Cup in particular to see if that's 100% what I really want. Hey you never know till you ask!

I found a few reliability problems with my Series 80 Gold Cup.

The front sight is staked on but the staking is WEAK.  More than once, as I was shooting, the front sight flew off.  It's knida funny and disconcerting when you come down out of recoil and can't re-acquire the all-important front sight.  Put a front sight staking tool, a round file and two or three spare front sights in your kit bag.

The rear sight is held to the slide with a roll pin.  The roll pins shear off and your rear sight takes a cant (if you're lucky) and flies off (if you're not).  Buy a bunch (as in ten) of roll pins.  Better yet, get a solid steel pin that fits.  These will also shear but not as quickly.  You can also use the shank of a drill bit after cutting to size.

P.S. - They are not all that much better in the accuracy department than a run of the mill 1911.  Once set for zero, I never touched the adjustable rear sight again.  

My advice would be to get with a gunsmith and have them build one for you.  Second choice would be to buy an off-the-shelf Les Baer.  

I'm just trying to help, I'm not trying to dissuade you from your selection.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#3]
These are exactly the type of suggestions and advice I'm looking for. Thank you
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:03:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
These are exactly the type of suggestions and advice I'm looking for. Thank you

I have a 70 Series Gold Cup and the only problem I have had is "stove pipes' and I think I have that worked out. I haven't changed pins on the sight but I intend to. My trigger is great and it has more accuracy potential than I can take advantage of.
Good luck on finding what you want.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:21:39 AM EDT
[#5]
..........mine is stainless....series 80......no problems at all.....it`s the smoothest of the four colts i own.....i did send bill wilson quite a few $$$ however...but all proves to only make it better......don`t know about other gc`s..but what impressed me was the detail to fit....there is a tension spring on the sear for example...that doesn`t exist in the other colts i have....mine has a eliason rear sight....bill wilson suggests remove it and toss it......i agree.....but i modified mine to fit my own habits...instead of spending another wad of $$$ on a sight....it`s worked so-far.....my opinion....this gun rates with many of the high end custom builds...and is about as good as a base for building as you can get.....of course anyone can build a lemon.....and there are cynics to anything that you think about doing....but if you want a gold cup....then get a gold cup....if it has any hang-ups...colt will take care of it....if i had a choice...i would prefer a 70 series....but in reality....it being a 80 is a moot issue to me.....i wish my delta was a gold cup too......but we can`t always find exactly what we want.....can we.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top