Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/20/2003 10:13:09 PM EDT
Does anyone here carry 4" or 3.5" 1911 model for this? I like the variations Springfield has to offer. I'm not quite comfortable with the idea of a 3"bbl- recoil, stovepiping, in a God forbid situation among concerns. Unfortunately I don't have the option of renting or a friend with one to see for myself.
All the 1911s I own/have ever owned have been government size.

Wondering if a compact/champion, etc. is on the large size for IWB in your experiences. I would certainly consider the ultra compact, half and inch makes a difference over my 3" concerns.
On the flip side, if anyone owns a Springfield with a 3"bbl and has rave reports, I'm willing to listen.

(I'm well aware of all the options out there for CCW, as I said I'm looking into a 1911 in .45, so please don't turn this into a 'Have you considered a....' event. Although I am open to other brand recommendations.)
TIA!

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 4:59:01 AM EDT
I have a Kimber ProCarry...4in barrel...and a Colt LW Officer's as well. Neither is any more problem to carry IWB than the other in relation to barrel length. The standard size butt of the Kimber is longer and thus may be a bit more difficult to conceal but the barrel is no issue at all.

I, too, tend to be a little leery of ultra short barreled 1911's...the OM was something I was not sure of at first. These 3in. guns may work fine, but I will let someone else be the "proving ground" for that. I have shot a friend's Kimber with 3in. barrel and it was no problem to control and worked just fine, so maybe I'm being too conservative?
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:44:48 PM EDT
I have an all steel Springfield champion with a 4" barrel I've used as a carry/truck gun for years. It started as a mil-spec model, back before loaded pistols were available, and had low-mounts, beavertail, extended safety, etc, added to it. Wore out the finish once, so had it satin hard chromed. Still carry it after more than 10 years.

About two years back, I got a "loaded" compact with the LW alloy frame. This is for warmer weather use, lighter to carry, and has the shorter grip of the Ultra compact, with the 4" barrel. It's carried IWB in a Milt Sparks Summer Special, so extra 1/2" of barrel length doesn't matter, since it's concealed in pants. The shorter grip makes it a little easier to conceal under light clothing.

I agree that I was never real comfortable with short barreled 1911's. The slide velocity may get so fast that they aren't reliable. Heavy springs to overcome the higher slide velocity may cause wear to the pistol over time. My 4" pistols have been very reliable, and I've been more than satisfied with them. Again, if you're carrying IWB, the slide length doesn't matter much.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:03:02 PM EDT
I have an Officers ACP with a 3.5" bbl and have had ZERO problems in 500 rounds. Haven't tried any of the 3 inchers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:46:03 PM EDT
There shouldn't be a problem I sometimes carry a Firestar M45 (True its not a 1911 copy )with a 3in barrel no problems with it in a IWB holster or any ammo with it ranginfg from 185 gr JHP to 230 gr ball ; just remember with a shorter barrel you you will experience a greater muzzle blast with the shorter barrel LOL
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:55:40 PM EDT
Thanks to all for the input of experience. Glad to see mention of Milt Sparks for carrying it as well-- I use a SS for full size carry when the weather is cool enough for a sweatshirt or bigger. Even at that I feel like I can get buy with a big t-shirt.
So with a 4 incher combined with a Milt Sparks I'm feeling ready to go shopping.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:52:55 PM EDT
I had a SA Champion, it was a jammamatic. Got rid of it quickly.

I've read of good reports on the baby Kimber 1911s from their owners, ballastic performances not being reported.

I've been told & believe, that if one is concerned about HP at short barrels then simply stick with FMJ. YMMV.

If I were to want a baby 1911 today, I think I'd get a Colt Commander. Colt OACP can be made to run good but then you're right back in the short barrel ammo concerns.
Top Top